BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

05-07-2013, 12:30 AM   #23
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.

Yep double apex or stay wide and late apex in a straight line. Whats a small car? There was a jag xkr or whatever its called that was in front of me for a while and me and my instructor were cracking up because it was just plowing through every turn lol. 500hp and a FAT ASS!
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2013, 01:22 AM   #24
kautiongsr
bigdaddyjulio
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 335IS, 2011 S1000 rr

i just went sunday.. had a blast..

05-07-2013, 01:27 AM   #25
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhouck
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkim1079 View Post
Cones are so ppl dont ride up too high. Also in the second chicane there were cones where speedventures didnt.

Throttle blips do sound cool when you do it yourself hubba hubba
Bummer. Screws up the proper line for certain cars... and makes it harder to go two wide in the bank

(OC3 passing me )

We'd be running over the cones
Nice who do you guys run with? Would love to join you guys someday. I have a couple m3 buddies who are track rats. Need to join forces with moAr!! Lol

Btw oc3 has VERY good taste in cars lol.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2013, 01:33 AM   #26
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kautiongsr

Looks fast!! I love these track videos. Can learn a lot. Dct sounds so damn fast!
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2013, 01:34 AM   #27
TheKosherStogie
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 M3 DCT AW/Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by kautiongsr View Post

Haha I was the space grey M3 sliding in the beginning. My very 1st time at that track, didn't really figure the lines out till then last session of the day...ended up with a 1:56:8. Your car has a wild paint job! Pretty cool
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2013, 01:35 AM   #28
Crimson92
Smiling Politely
United_States
Rep
Drives: Like a boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekp
Good video

Did the speedventures event on Saturday and had a blast on this track. Looking forward to go back again soon to this one.

05-07-2013, 01:47 AM   #29
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekp
It was actually Blue group (only my second time at a track event) However after seeing my times and my buddies times (white M3 in front of me) going to go up a group and hopefully have less bunched up traffic. There were a few "unsafe" drivers out there.
Your buddy looked like he was gonna go into the wall for a sec!! My friend was out there doing sub 2mins in his m3.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2013, 02:03 AM   #30
rhouck
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3

Quote:
Nice who do you guys run with? Would love to join you guys someday. I have a couple m3 buddies who are track rats. Need to join forces with moAr!! Lol

Speed Ventures mainly

Speed District when they have events

eXtremeSpeed if nothing else available

We are out a lot so feel free to say hi. You'll probably see OC3's new e92 when he finishes swapping over his goodies (brembos, jrz, volks) out there and I'll probably be nearby. (I have been tracking S2000 instead of M3 though) Kaiv is out a lot in his white e92 too.
2009 Honda S2000 -- 1:59.726 Buttonwillow 13CW (N/A, OEM Aero, RS3); 1:55.792 Buttonwillow 13CW (S/C, aero, RS3)
2008 BMW e92 M3, 6MT, MR/FR, NT-03+M 18x10, JIC Coilovers
2007 Yamaha R6
M-drive retrofit! http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=676825
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2013, 02:10 AM   #31
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhouck
Quote:

Speed Ventures mainly

Speed District when they have events

eXtremeSpeed if nothing else available

We are out a lot so feel free to say hi. You'll probably see OC3's new e92 when he finishes swapping over his goodies (brembos, jrz, volks) out there and I'll probably be nearby. (I have been tracking S2000 instead of M3 though) Kaiv is out a lot in his white e92 too.
Cool let me know when you guys head out. My cousin used to instruct with them ages ago. Sometimes theyll ask him to come if they are short handed.

No cones on the second chicane and no cones on the front straight equals even more high speed!!
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2013, 02:13 AM   #32
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep

What kind of brakes are all of you using? Im thinking some castrol srf with some decent pads (dont need a dedicated track pad yet at my ability nor am i trying to be the fastest nor do i want to kill the car) and some brake cooling will do just fine.

What products do you guys use and why? Where are the brake cooling products?! Dont see anyne talking about them on here much.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2013, 09:10 AM   #33
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

In light of what happened at Chuckwalla 2 weekends ago, you can't blame an organization for going above and beyond to make sure it's participants are SAFE. Especially when they put volunteer staff in harms way.

So as someone who's required to sit passenger side, I applaud CCA's efforts. Plus, it's an HPDE. If you can't learn to alter your lines because the organizers require it, I'd suggest other sports beckon.

Plus, it's another opportunity to teach. Otherwise the front straight is basically a test of who's got more horses and tires, nothing more. At least with the gate there, you don't need to slow down but you do need to keep your eyes way up to navigate 1&2. Otherwise it's just foot planted to the floor all around the bank. At that point you might as well sign up for Richard Petty's NASCAR experience instead.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2013, 10:50 AM   #34
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep

There were some ppl looking straight regardless. But safe is good. I like running with cca for the instruction. Helps tremendously when going with other groups!
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2013, 11:52 AM   #35
rhouck
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
In light of what happened at Chuckwalla 2 weekends ago, you can't blame an organization for going above and beyond to make sure it's participants are SAFE. Especially when they put volunteer staff in harms way.

So as someone who's required to sit passenger side, I applaud CCA's efforts. Plus, it's an HPDE. If you can't learn to alter your lines because the organizers require it, I'd suggest other sports beckon.

Plus, it's another opportunity to teach. Otherwise the front straight is basically a test of who's got more horses and tires, nothing more. At least with the gate there, you don't need to slow down but you do need to keep your eyes way up to navigate 1&2. Otherwise it's just foot planted to the floor all around the bank. At that point you might as well sign up for Richard Petty's NASCAR experience instead.
I spent my weekend instructing multiple individuals, both giving ridealongs in slower groups to show them the lines, and riding in their passenger seat (all in cars with significantly less safety equipment than my own). And for no pay (i.e., VOLUNTEER).

So with that in mind, my point is I think that the cone configuration is NOT safer and is bullshit. Thinking that constricting the FASTEST point on the track down to a single car width is "safer" is makes zero sense. So I do NOT applaud CCA.

And you apparently missed the part where I drive a 200whp car I still have to adjust my line going around the banking, usually to get around someone with a lot of hp down the straight who is going too slow around the bank.
2009 Honda S2000 -- 1:59.726 Buttonwillow 13CW (N/A, OEM Aero, RS3); 1:55.792 Buttonwillow 13CW (S/C, aero, RS3)
2008 BMW e92 M3, 6MT, MR/FR, NT-03+M 18x10, JIC Coilovers
2007 Yamaha R6
M-drive retrofit! http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=676825
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2013, 11:52 AM   #36
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

Quote:
There were some ppl looking straight regardless. But safe is good. I like running with cca for the instruction. Helps tremendously when going with other groups!
If you look straight you won't be able to go through the funnel fast. Your first instinct will be to brake because you think you're running out of real-estate. Without the bank to help you, the funnel forces you to look way up and ahead way early in order to navigate turns 1 & 2 at speed. And the funnel doesn't really impact your lap-time nor speed that much, Harry's Lap Timer hall of fame seems to suggest that the difference between time on Friday and Saturday between CCA and Speedventure is SMALL.

The big "impact" on speed between the two config is the chicane after turn 9, where the breathing off of throttle is going to cost you anywhere between 1-2 seconds by the time you are at the end of the straight. The cones at 16-17 makes very little difference, again, the wider turn allows for higher terminal velocity on the straight, but the tighter turn shaves a few tenth in time. If you set up your entry onto the front straight just right, it makes, at most, another second's worth of difference.

Obviously, we cater to different crowds with some overlap, between Speedventure and BMW CCA. I've done some business with Aaron, and I can honestly say Speedventure runs one of the cleanest programs outside of BMW CCA, and that's quite a compliment in my book. But our primary responsibility is to TEACH. Speedventure's primary responsibility is to make sure the participants have fun. The end result is, we design our courses so that at the end of the day, we maximize your learning how to drive a performance vehicle on a track setting while providing a safe, low risk environment.

I think you'll find that, if you can drive our course the way it's set up to within 1/2 second consistently per lap, every hot lap, you will magically gain anywhere from 3-5 seconds per lap the next day at Speedventure at ACS. I'm even willing to bet (although my streak on betting has been pretty poor lately, I owe quite a few people a swift kick in the @ss) that had any of the participants taken our A+ or B program on Friday, that they'll find their times on Saturday and/or Sunday with Speedventures on the same track to be faster than their prior laps.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2013, 12:32 PM   #37
IrishCoffee
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4

For me safety is priority one for sure. I want to come home with my car in one piece and my body unharmed.

I really do enjoy the instruction at the CCA events. I think out of the 5 days I've done with the CCA I've only had one instructor that I thought didn't do a great job. I guess that's a pretty good ratio.

The safety at the CCA events is great and I appreciate that they prioritze it so much. I've seen a lot of sketchy stuff at the Speed Ventures events at AAA. I ran with them on Sunday and had to give a guy a hard time in the post session meeting for deciding he was going to open pass me on the inside of 5/6 with a train of 3 cars in front of me. Not smart and very dangerous particularly when you're not in an open passing group and know that the people in front of you won't be expecting it either.

There are pros and cons to each event. I like that Speed Ventures is slightly more casual about things and that I don't have to rush to classroom sessions and be forced to eat lunch on a schedule. But I suppose some of that causual attitude ends up causing incidents like I mentioned above. Cars and drivers in the wrong groups are not a good thing. The fact that I need to get my car teched by a mechanic before a CCA event seems a bit much since it's less than 2 years old and I feel fairly competent with checking most items, but I understand it's an all or nothing deal. I think the biggest reason I don't come to all CCA events is scheduling and cost. They ran on Friday at AAA for $300+. That means I have to take a day off, battle traffic there and back, and pay more money. That made me choose Speed Ventures on Sunday instead for $190. That's a battle that will never be won though because the CCA events simply cost more to put on. Less cars = more money per person. I get it.

I do like trying new tracks with the CCA because I think it is important to have instruction when you're learning a new track. It makes you comfortable and also causes you to think a little more about the lines when you have a discussion with someone who is more experienced. I see a lot of people at the Speed Ventures events who seem to have no idea what they are doing. I don't see this at the CCA events. I feel like an unpredictable driver in front of you can be very dangerous, particularly if you want to pass and are trying to stay close.

Looking forward to Laguna Seca in August with CCA. Hopefully the sound limit won't be a problem with my Megan exhaust.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2013, 04:30 PM   #38
Crimson92
Smiling Politely
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Your buddy looked like he was gonna go into the wall for a sec!! My friend was out there doing sub 2mins in his m3.
Haha...I was enjoying the scenery since I couldn't go anywhere.
      05-07-2013, 04:44 PM   #39
kautiongsr
bigdaddyjulio
United_States
Rep

yeah i started in the green group with my friends.. drivers where all over the place.. went up to red group which is usually empty and had a blast..
it so funny when i was behind you.. i saw you car coming around.. i was like yahoooo driftoooo.. hahahaha
the grafics are from my work.. we have a bmw parts website now.. really great prices.. thanks.. www.bmwfactory.com
Attached Images

05-07-2013, 06:11 PM   #40
Crimson92
Smiling Politely
United_States
Rep

A pic from sat.

My car is the superior white one next to derekp's old man grey.
Attached Images

05-07-2013, 06:24 PM   #41
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep

Oh snap laguna seca in august? Lets caravan.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2013, 06:39 PM   #42
kautiongsr
bigdaddyjulio
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson92 View Post
A pic from sat.

My car is the superior white one next to derekp's old man grey.
nice pic
      05-07-2013, 06:40 PM   #43
derekp
Private
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2011 E92 M3  [0.00]
2008 Infiniti G37s  [6.00]
Quote:
Oh snap laguna seca in august? Lets caravan.
Now that would be a fun trip!
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2013, 06:55 PM   #44
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishCoffee View Post
For me safety is priority one for sure. I want to come home with my car in one piece and my body unharmed.

I really do enjoy the instruction at the CCA events. I think out of the 5 days I've done with the CCA I've only had one instructor that I thought didn't do a great job. I guess that's a pretty good ratio.

The safety at the CCA events is great and I appreciate that they prioritze it so much. I've seen a lot of sketchy stuff at the Speed Ventures events at AAA. I ran with them on Sunday and had to give a guy a hard time in the post session meeting for deciding he was going to open pass me on the inside of 5/6 with a train of 3 cars in front of me. Not smart and very dangerous particularly when you're not in an open passing group and know that the people in front of you won't be expecting it either.
WHAAATTT THE F#######CK is that shit????
No black flag???
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0