BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Photography/Videography

BPM

05-26-2013, 12:30 PM   #1
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

EOS M with 22mm lens - $349

Newegg in cart price. Today only I think. I just grabbed one.

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2013, 07:18 PM   #2
dcstep
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
Expecting a full report. I forget, is that like a 1.6 crop or even smaller?
      05-27-2013, 12:05 AM   #3
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep

APS-C. It'll be a good in-pocket camera with that 22mm. I've been impressed with the sharpness of some sample shots on POTN. For that short money, I had to give it a try.

-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2013, 12:51 AM   #4
signes
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991 GT3 RS

Tempting but the slow focus issue stated in all reviews is a serious issue. Curious to hear your thoughts when you have a chance to play with it.
      05-27-2013, 09:39 AM   #5
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by signes View Post
Tempting but the slow focus issue stated in all reviews is a serious issue. Curious to hear your thoughts when you have a chance to play with it.
We'll see how bad it is. I know it's no good for sports, but I've read from users that the AF isn't *that* slow. Obviously BIF shots are out.

-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2013, 07:30 PM   #6
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep

I grabbed an EF lens adapter for the M today. $70

Can't wait to try it out with my various lenses.

Also, my work 5D MkIII and lenses should arrive this week. I'm really looking forward to the coming week.

-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2013, 04:31 PM   #7
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep

Some pics of my building. Shot with the M and my Roki 8mm FE.

-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2013, 03:49 PM   #8
druu
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M8

So how is the AF speed on it? Is it slower with the adapter and adapted lenses?
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2013, 04:20 PM   #9
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep

Oddly enough, it's faster with the adapter and USM lenses. It's quite fast with my 135L on it (although still not as fast as the 5D MkIII/6D/7D AF). And it depends on the contrast of your focus point. And I use the word "point" lightly. It's more like a box, like you would see on P&S cameras.

-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2013, 06:33 PM   #10
druu
Second Lieutenant
Rep

so its just a little body for our L lenses, got it. lol
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2013, 07:53 PM   #11
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by druu View Post
so its just a little body for our L lenses, got it. lol
If you think this is going to replace a full DSLR, think again. The advantage of the M, as I see it, is as a second camera in the bag or handy camera to grab at home without hauling out the big gun, but that will still yield decent IQ and ISO range. I don't plan on using my L glass with it very often. The 20mm is a nice little lens, the 40mm pancake on the adapter is still quite small, and the 18-55 M lens is very sharp through the whole range. I'm hoping Canon comes up with maybe a 55-250 for the M. Something small and light.

-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2013, 03:04 PM   #12
druu
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I think that's their selling point until they get more native lenses though. the 20mm for sure is a nice lens, but the kit lens probably makes it a bit more unwieldly. I loved seeing photos of it attached to a 70-200 though. That's kind of the problem i had with the kit lens on a micro 4/3s camera, the bodies were small, but unless you got one of the pancake lenses, the bigger lenses offset any benefit from the small bodies.

I don't think that it'll replace an slr without a viewfinder. That box focus that you described + the slow speed probably isn't good for anything moving.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2013, 03:44 PM   #13
dcstep
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
I think there's a place for them and serious photography, including nature and wildlife, but it'll require and electronic viewfinder and no focus latency. The lighter body and shooting like 30-fps could make things very attractive. Moores law is going to make future processors smaller, lighter and more powerful and rethinking the body in digital cameras makes lots of sense.

If we can get rid of the prism, the body shape is free to go to its most efficient form. These early bodies are pretending that they need to look like old 35mm cameras, when there's little reason, other than tradition, to follow that form factor.

Some day , in the not too distant future, we might be plugging a sensor right into the back of our 5-lb, 1,000mm lens and having all the processing done in a little unit hung or our belt, in our pocket or in a backpack. We'll preview our output with a set of glasses that provides other functions, like range finding or IR viewing.

All the pieces are here, now we need a designer to put it together and deliver it to a market.

Dave
      06-06-2013, 04:03 PM   #14
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by druu View Post
I think that's their selling point until they get more native lenses though. the 20mm for sure is a nice lens, but the kit lens probably makes it a bit more unwieldly. I loved seeing photos of it attached to a 70-200 though. That's kind of the problem i had with the kit lens on a micro 4/3s camera, the bodies were small, but unless you got one of the pancake lenses, the bigger lenses offset any benefit from the small bodies.

I don't think that it'll replace an slr without a viewfinder. That box focus that you described + the slow speed probably isn't good for anything moving.
No, this thing won't do moving objects. Although I did capture a good shot of a girl walking left to right in front of me. She was at a slightly oblique angle, so getting closer to me as she passed. It locked on to her fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstep View Post
I think there's a place for them and serious photography, including nature and wildlife, but it'll require and electronic viewfinder and no focus latency. The lighter body and shooting like 30-fps could make things very attractive. Moores law is going to make future processors smaller, lighter and more powerful and rethinking the body in digital cameras makes lots of sense.

If we can get rid of the prism, the body shape is free to go to its most efficient form. These early bodies are pretending that they need to look like old 35mm cameras, when there's little reason, other than tradition, to follow that form factor.

Some day , in the not too distant future, we might be plugging a sensor right into the back of our 5-lb, 1,000mm lens and having all the processing done in a little unit hung or our belt, in our pocket or in a backpack. We'll preview our output with a set of glasses that provides other functions, like range finding or IR viewing.

All the pieces are here, now we need a designer to put it together and deliver it to a market.

Dave
I anticipate Gigapan capability in a very small package in the near future. The whole sensor field will undergo a paradigm shift and change the way we capture light. The interesting part will be seeing how such a sensor will change the way we build and use lenses.

BTW, Canon announced a firmware upgrade coming out at the end of the month that is supposed to speed up AF on the M by 2.3x. That will be a nice change.

-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2013, 11:26 PM   #15
druu
Second Lieutenant
Rep

http://www.canonrumors.com/2013/06/t...e-coming-soon/

the videos of the new firmware in action look pretty promising. The AF is noticibly better.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2013, 01:57 PM   #16
signes
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991 GT3 RS

If anybody is interested Amazon and B&H have a lower price deal on this now - $299 with the prime lens. With the new firmware update, seems like a good deal for what you get.

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-Compact-...ds=canon+eos+m
      07-05-2013, 10:41 AM   #17
danniexi
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 F97 X3M Comp LCI

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstep View Post

Dave
omg this. or even better an OVF.

screw it. give me a rangefinder with a FF sensor that uses the EF lenses. DONE.
BMW MY06 E46 325XI - GONE
Appreciate 0