BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

Mporium BMW

04-29-2011, 02:31 PM   #23
klammer
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 11 spc gry m3 e90, 19 X5

How much of a degradation of comfort over stock and how easy are these to adjust, ie. can a flip back and forth btwn comfort and track? Find myself using edc almost nil except for track duties, and if that's all I'm using it for might as well get coilovers, no? Help
      04-30-2011, 06:05 PM   #24
NRBRNG
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 E92, SG & '89 635 CSi

You do need to set them on street settings for the street as the ride gets a bit annoying and avoiding potholes etc becomes tiring. if you leave them on track settings there is an increase in 'trim work' vibration as well but, on the street settings it is just like 'normal/comfort' mode. very good ride and no vibration issues. the setting are really easy to switch back and forth when you change wheels/pads etc- 5 mins all four corners. i leave the rear rebound setting in the trunk set at the recommended 9 clicks for street and track- so no issues adjusting those.
with the track settings (and alignment) it is an unbelievable change. Zero understeer now and totally planted. the car rotates really well. if you several track days a year- well worth it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by klammer View Post
How much of a degradation of comfort over stock and how easy are these to adjust, ie. can a flip back and forth btwn comfort and track? Find myself using edc almost nil except for track duties, and if that's all I'm using it for might as well get coilovers, no? Help
DCT. Custom Cantrell MS cage. Fire, SCCA, dedicated track. Diffs-online 3.62, diff cooler, MCS 2-ways, SPL arms, TMS solid SF/Diff bushings, RD sway, DO88 Coolers (DCT, RAD, PS, OIL) Akra catless GT4, BPM tune, Hans Recaro, AP Pro 5000R, Cobalt XR2/4 race pads, BBS E88's, Yoko A005 slicks, RKP GT4 Splitter, GT4 canards, APR GT250 Wing, CFK Hood, Flossman CFK fenders, BW carbon doors, Dinan R toe links, Mini battery.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2011, 06:07 PM   #25
NRBRNG
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Sorry, not yet. will chase again next week. Cheers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by STALKER View Post
Any luck getting that info from your vendor?
Thanks.
DCT. Custom Cantrell MS cage. Fire, SCCA, dedicated track. Diffs-online 3.62, diff cooler, MCS 2-ways, SPL arms, TMS solid SF/Diff bushings, RD sway, DO88 Coolers (DCT, RAD, PS, OIL) Akra catless GT4, BPM tune, Hans Recaro, AP Pro 5000R, Cobalt XR2/4 race pads, BBS E88's, Yoko A005 slicks, RKP GT4 Splitter, GT4 canards, APR GT250 Wing, CFK Hood, Flossman CFK fenders, BW carbon doors, Dinan R toe links, Mini battery.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2011, 11:35 AM   #26
STALKER
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3, Golf R

Any luck with the spring rates?
      05-10-2011, 08:16 PM   #27
klammer
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 11 spc gry m3 e90, 19 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by NRBRNG View Post
You do need to set them on street settings for the street as the ride gets a bit annoying and avoiding potholes etc becomes tiring. if you leave them on track settings there is an increase in 'trim work' vibration as well but, on the street settings it is just like 'normal/comfort' mode. very good ride and no vibration issues. the setting are really easy to switch back and forth when you change wheels/pads etc- 5 mins all four corners. i leave the rear rebound setting in the trunk set at the recommended 9 clicks for street and track- so no issues adjusting those.
with the track settings (and alignment) it is an unbelievable change. Zero understeer now and totally planted. the car rotates really well. if you several track days a year- well worth it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by klammer View Post
Thanks for the info, might have to give it one more year b4 coilovers... Resisting temptation...
      05-17-2011, 10:38 PM   #28
NRBRNG
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Hmmm...not yet. Apologies. i will send a chaser.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2011, 01:33 PM   #29
JAJ
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 Shelby GT500

Quote:
Hmmm...not yet. Apologies. i will send a chaser.
As rldzhao said in his post, the CS kits use KW's linear racing springs. The good news is that the spring part number (that's printed on the spring itself) includes a code that identifies the rate, the free length and the diameter. In other words, if they're KW racing springs, then the rates are printed on them and you don't need to ask the guy you bought them from.

Next time you have the car in the air, check your springs and post the printed numbers (all of them - there are other codes on them as well that identify the manufacturing batch and so on). Once you post the part number we can figure out the rates from there.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2011, 08:33 AM   #30
NRBRNG
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

OK. Here goes; these are the pics I took prior to mounting. Great if you can work things out from here and share back.
Here are the various codes from the pics:
90-170
60110048 18E10,
10-60-80
60110028 11G10,
140-200
60110145 32G10

I am as intrigued as any of us to learn of any differences. As you see they also have a slightly different top plate for camber adjustment etc.
Florian Ebel is the contact at a-workx.com in Munich if you are interested in these. As I mentioned in earlier posts, they were great to work with and certainly have some solid racing pedigree.

PS. As a side note, i will shortly post a separate thread and video from this weeks HPDE at PIR. The car set up is a blast! i took a private driver coaching session and got some great data and feedback to share. It is also very humbling (and a great learning experience) when a professional driver drives your car!

Hope the spring info helps those out who are interested. Let me know if you need more. Cheers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAJ View Post
As rldzhao said in his post, the CS kits use KW's linear racing springs. The good news is that the spring part number (that's printed on the spring itself) includes a code that identifies the rate, the free length and the diameter. In other words, if they're KW racing springs, then the rates are printed on them and you don't need to ask the guy you bought them from.

Next time you have the car in the air, check your springs and post the printed numbers (all of them - there are other codes on them as well that identify the manufacturing batch and so on). Once you post the part number we can figure out the rates from there.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-19-2011, 09:55 AM   #31
JAJ
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 Shelby GT500

Quote:
OK. Here goes; these are the pics I took prior to mounting. Great if you can work things out from here and share back.
Here are the various codes from the pics:
90-170
60110048 18E10,
10-60-80
60110028 11G10,
140-200
60110145 32G10
The springs are:

10-60-80 - this is a helper spring, it's fully collapsed when loaded (ignore it)

90-170 - this is a 60mm ID, 170mm free length, 90 Newtons per mm spring, or in English, it's a 6.7" 514 pound per inch racing spring

140-200 - this is a 60mm ID, 200mm free length, 140 Newtons per mm spring, or in English, it's a 7.9" 800 pound per inch racing spring

There should also have been a helper spring for the rear - marked 20-60-80. Was it there and you just didn't photograph it, or did they change the design so it's not needed any more?

These are the "normal" KW Clubsport springs lengths and rates for the E92 M3 kit.

Last edited by JAJ; 05-19-2011 at 10:02 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2011, 04:00 PM   #32
NRBRNG
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Thanks JAJ. Well, I guess now we know related to the springs.
I took another look at the article about their M3 in the Tuner GP that got me interested in these initially (BMWCAR Nov 09)- here is another point they referenced:
"The lower ride height (30mm) also requires some re-calibration of the suspension strut geometry, which again the new tops mounts allow. A-workx has its own bespoke settings for ride height, camber and toe..." Looking at this, they could well be merely referencing Vs the standard M3...
Still, I'm very happy with Clubsports- at least the camber plates are a cool anodized blue! (They do have the helper spring on the rears- just didn't post that one). I sent another chaser e-mail to a-workx to clarify if any other differences, but it likely appears not. Cheers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAJ View Post
The springs are:

10-60-80 - this is a helper spring, it's fully collapsed when loaded (ignore it)

90-170 - this is a 60mm ID, 170mm free length, 90 Newtons per mm spring, or in English, it's a 6.7" 514 pound per inch racing spring

140-200 - this is a 60mm ID, 200mm free length, 140 Newtons per mm spring, or in English, it's a 7.9" 800 pound per inch racing spring

There should also have been a helper spring for the rear - marked 20-60-80. Was it there and you just didn't photograph it, or did they change the design so it's not needed any more?

These are the "normal" KW Clubsport springs lengths and rates for the E92 M3 kit.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2011, 01:06 PM   #33
STALKER
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3, Golf R

I wonder why they paint them blue? Are the pieces diff then the normal purple pieces on the KW CS?