BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

Mporium BMW

06-01-2012, 05:40 PM   #23
Chachi112
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 CTS-V Coupe, 2015 M3

before my E92 M3 i owned a 2010 Audi S5..it was a beautiful car...very well built, high quality, great exhaust note, and a killer interior and electronics..not to mention the particular dealer i bought the car from has a outstanding service department...i love everything about the car except for the power..i came out of a C6 Z06 as my daily driver into the S5 and it was way to drastic a change which is why the car only lasted less then a year and i ended up in a M3 coupe..its a great compromise between the two...the M3 has a lot more feel and soul over the audi...but now we have to RS5 which wasn't available when i bought my M3...needless to say yesterday i ordered a 2013 RS5...hopefully its the right combination of everything i loved about my S5 and the power of my M3...i already know its not going to have the steering feel of my M3 and I'm headed for a fair amount of understeer with the AWD but in person it is a beautiful car....best of luck with your decision and i honestly don't think you could go wrong either way...i almost forgot as far as price goes my M3 MSRP was a hair under 76K and the RS5 is going to be a tad over 79k so they are virtually the same price point if it matters to you... all along it sounded like the RS5 was going to be in the 80s or 90s and that turned out not to be the case
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2012, 06:54 PM   #24
DARK_M3
Banned
Rep
Drives: 08 E90, 89 Grand Wagoneer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nati Beastcat View Post
I don't feel like Audi has the lust factor that the M brand carries. There are a lot of people that will look at the M3, M5 and say god damn I want that car! I just don't feel like you get that with an Audi.
Haha.. I usually see an RScar and say that. But then I see M's and say that too! Then I remember what I'm driving and realize people are probably saying that about my car lol

All in all.. I love the RS's and the M's. I just love the M's slightly more hence what's sitting in my driveway
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2012, 06:57 PM   #25
GotE46M
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Few M cars.

If the RS5 was cheaper than the M3 then I would definitely consider it, but since its not.. then nevermind.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2012, 02:25 PM   #26
sakimano
Private
Rep
Drives: Audi RS4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SehrSchnell View Post
Great looking car, great exhaust note, one of the best interiors in the business, but mediocre performance for the price. Would make a fantastic daily driver, but will be a lackluster on the track.
pretty good summary. Straight line and track performance however I think you'll find the RS5 won't be far behind the M3 if it's a non-expert driver at the helm. The M3 can put a big gap on the RS4/RS5, however if you put both cars in the hands of most drivers, the difference will be negligible. This will be most apparent at the dragstrip or while racing a friend from a dig somewhere...the RS5 will always give you 98% of its capability, while the M3 will require quite a bit more input.

That's part of the allure of the M3 of course...it's a bit more raw and it's part of the knock against the RS5...it's a hair disconnected feeling being a little more computer aided and heavier.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2012, 06:52 PM   #27
Donibm
Emperor X5
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMX X5 2009

Already started...

I'm considering it now. I was looking at the Ford GT500 (bad brakes and hot oil temps). Camero is cool, but it comes behind the Ford. Looked at Jaguar XFR - nice, but not really in the "sporting" league. MB AMG just don't appeal to me. So, I'm studying the RS5. Loving what I'm seeing and reading so far. I seriously doubt that the M3 would "murder" it on the track (I've seen 3 or 4 clips of track racing and the M3 is not "murdering" it at all). Thinking I may be sitting in a differnt brand this time next year.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2012, 06:59 PM   #28
PhillyNate
ENTHUSIAST
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Porsche Cayman

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotE46M View Post
If the RS5 was cheaper than the M3 then I would definitely consider it, but since its not.. then nevermind.
What he said, and if it were offered with a manual transmission.
2011 Alpine White BMW M3 6mt ZCP Coupe(forced retirement 06/06/14)
2008 Alpine White BMW 328i 6mt Coupe(retired 06/21/11
)
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2012, 12:44 PM   #29
LarThaL
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Plutonium View Post
I'm not disagreeing with you, I just don't like the steering feel personally. To be fair, I obviously haven't driven the RS5, but I've driven the S4 and the S5 I wasn't really impressed with it.... I'm gonna assume the steering will be pretty much the same.
Well.....no. As a prior RS4 owner, I can tell you that the steering on the S4 and S5 completely sucks compared to the RS4. That said, the RS4 is not as precise as the M3, but the S models are way loose compared to the RS models nonetheless.
      09-29-2012, 04:14 PM   #30
Optherion
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Prancing Horse

Absolutely not. If the interior is anything close to the A5 loaner I had, the ergonomics are useless. I could go on and on.

I took my cls63 in for service and had a A5 loaner. There are so many annoying things about the A5 platform. The 1 foot tall gear selector. When the car is in park, you cant adjust anything on the dash like temperature, AC recirc, fan speed because the gear selector is in the damn way. It nearly touches all the buttons and you have to approach them at a weird angle, slipping your hand in from the side before pressing the buttons. Its a joke. Who ever decided to put all the buttons and LCD down at the bottom is and idiot and wasted a ton of space under the vents. The car drove me nuts. I know this is being picky, but go drive one and actually try to use all the features in it. Maybe its also my height, but moving my seat in every possible angle the gear selector blocks the view of the temp display. I have to literally lean forward off the back of my seat to read it. Makes me finally appreciate iDrive and BMW.

Compared to the simply CLS63 AMG interior. Even with tons of buttons, you can actually reach them, see then, and read their status.

Last edited by Optherion; 09-29-2012 at 04:24 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2012, 11:31 PM   #31
CCLSVTM3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Interlagos blue E90 M3

My buddy has an 06 RS4, and my other buddy has an 2012 RS5..... Both are nice cars but would not take either over my M3..... The RS5, I don't like 2 drs, don't like interior, hate the radio/nav/phone system. Only thing I liked is the trunk fully opens when you hit the release and the Manuel is smoother then mine. Not notchy like the M3 6MT.... That's about it....

Appreciate 0
      09-30-2012, 09:56 AM   #32
gblansten
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 23 Tesla S Plaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCLSVTM3 View Post
My buddy has an 06 RS4, and my other buddy has an 2012 RS5..... Both are nice cars but would not take either over my M3..... The RS5, I don't like 2 drs, don't like interior, hate the radio/nav/phone system. Only thing I liked is the trunk fully opens when you hit the release and the Manuel is smoother then mine. Not notchy like the M3 6MT.... That's about it....
I heard that the Manuel is an upgrade from the base Jose.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2012, 10:33 AM   #33
BMoney
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X3MC, 2019 Audi TT RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCLSVTM3
Only thing I liked is the trunk fully opens when you hit the release and the Manuel is smoother then mine. Not notchy like the M3 6MT.... That's about it....
There is no manual RS5 or were you talking about the RS4?
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2012, 03:25 PM   #34
Bubajay
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Silver Nissan 370z

M3 vs RS5

Here is the english version. Choose for yourself! The M3 vs RS5 review is at 19:30, so you will have to let it buffer and skip to it. Thank me later

http://www.streetfire.net/video/top-...-1_2204085.htm
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2012, 11:08 PM   #35
CCLSVTM3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Interlagos blue E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMoney View Post
There is no manual RS5 or were you talking about the RS4?
Sorry.... iPad and dumbass typo...

Appreciate 0
      10-02-2012, 02:21 PM   #36
Sean1933
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Did back to back test drives a few months back...M3 had that extra 'special' feeling. Sorry I can't explain it better it was a gut feeling.

If you haven't already seen it, top gear uk did a back to back track test and the M3 won. Video is easily available on utube if your interested.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2012, 10:06 PM   #37
M3 Montreal
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2012 M3 SG ,DCT & 2011 S4

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCLSVTM3
RS5 only comes in S-Tronic

*edit* see you corrected yourself on someone else's keen eye also

2011 B8 S4 S-Tronic , Black on magma red
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2012, 03:12 PM   #38
WarrantyTracker
Track? What Track? I was just riding along . . .
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpine White E92 M3

Does Audi have reliability problems worse than BMW? A friend of mine had an A3 wagon a few years ago, and as soon as it went out of warranty, he was spending $5k a year on repairs. After a couple years of that, he got a BMW 3-series touring.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2012, 07:14 AM   #39
Windy City
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 IND/ESS modded vert

Here are my opinions comparing an Audi S5 4.2 liter V8 (not RS) and a newly purchased 2013 M3 Convertible:
I have had the Audi since mid 2010. It is my wife's DD and I have about 1/2 of the total miles on it. It presently has 40K. In my mind this car is the same as the RS as the HP numbers are so insignificantly different, they make no noticeable difference. The "newer" S5's have a smaller motor as to justify the premium price for the RS.

First thing is that comparing these 2 cars is not really "fair". The Audi is all wheel drive and to me that puts it in a different category. It's heavier, and by design has a huge unfair advantage against the M3 if it is to be used as a daily driver by someone who lives where the weather changes seasonally. If any one living where it snows is considering choosing between the two, for a daily driver, you choice is already made. ANY rear wheel drive car cannot compare with an all wheel drive car in this situation.

The Audi with a set of Blizzack's is unstoppable on slick roads. The only problem that comes into play is depth of snow as ground clearance is minimal.

Our car has the upgraded selectable "drive", I am not sure what Audi calls it. You can choose comfort, automatic, or dynamic. Depending on which you choose you would think you are in 3 different cars. I can't stand it in anything other than dynamic mode. I guess you can take the adjustments further, but who has time to figure that out?

For long trips, on the highway, I don't think anything out there can beat this car in stability and drivability. The car does not even come alive until 100 MPH.
It's quiet, stable, and very capable.

Fuel milage is so so, but does that really matter?

I do all my own maintenance on all my vehicles. The Audi is a breeze to change the oil. I thought the $9 a quart price tag was outrageous, until I heard BMW's was $14!

I don't care for the nav system, but then I don't like any auto's system that doesn't allow you to do something while driving.

The Bang & Olufsen stereo is one of the best I have ever listened too. Controls are typical European but relatively intuitive.

The car has plenty of power and more brakes than you will need on the street.
This being said it is no super car. If you want something with a faster 1/4 mile, buy something lighter.

At higher speeds, it seems like there is no end to the torque and power is always on reserve.

So I have a lot of experience with the Audi, and only 700 miles on the M3.
I don't put them in the same category as I said above, but I will say that the ride in the M3 is incredible. Rides like dream but the suspension behaves like a proper sports car!

I'll leave my opinion on the transmission reserved for now. I've been told "it gets better".

So far, I can't say much about the power. I have not yet "seasoned" the motor so I don't want to push my luck.

I do wish I would have looked at the numbers a little closer, prior. Over 400 BHP but less than 300 FP of torque? Did they take a lesson from the Jap bike makers?

The high rev motor does sound good, and it is unique. I don't care for the "drone" that some motor/exhaust combos make. It gets old quick.

The stereo is great sounding in the M3. Here I feel BMW has a slight edge. The controls (software) leaves a lot to be desired.

Probably the thing I like the best about the BMW is not present on the Audi. The little switch that "transforms" this coupe into a drop top. All the benefits of a convertible with out all the negatives. How can you beat it?

I don't see anytime soon where I will part with the S5. We just picked up an ordered Allroad for the wife to haul the dog due to how outstanding our experience with Audi has been.

I have driven a 2011 Mini Clubman S as my DD for the last 18 months and love it like no other car I have ever owned. Thus I have high expectations for the M3. But, in the end, I have a hard time putting the M3 and the S5 in the same category.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2012, 07:40 AM   #40
Stronie
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80M3 Comp. 6MT

Nice cars but would not choose over the M3. Never.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2012, 02:21 PM   #41
NoM3ForMe
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 Legacy, '07 Kia Sorrento

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stronie View Post
Nice cars but would not choose over the M3. Never.
Exactly!
      10-10-2012, 04:14 PM   #42
///Mperative
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: like grandma

Garage List
2014 BMW 550xi  [0.00]
2011 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarThaL View Post
In the end, if I lived where there was snow, and I had to have one car, I would get the RS5. If snow isn't a concern, or you have another winter vehicle, the M3 just has a more dynamic feel.
I used to think this was true, but living in a place with snow, I've had zero problems with my M3 in snow. It's a blast to drive. I do have issues getting up very steep hills from a dead stop, even in snow tires; but that's a minor sacrifice.
      10-16-2012, 06:33 PM   #43
h1d
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 - BSM

M3/RS5

I have been a diehard BMW M3 fan for over 9 years. My first M3 was a 2003 E46... I loved this car. Brutal nonstop fun all the time... I then upgraded to the 2010 E92 M3. This cars engine was absolutely amazing and the first thing I noticed was the disconnect from the road. The steering was definitely way different then the E46. I still loved the car. Then at 7000 miles I received the dreaded xmas tree lights and had the first engine failure. Since then the car was never the same... I had nonstop issues and constantly had to record the problems on my phone camera because the dealership could never replicate the problem. I spent 3 years in that car (I purchased the 2010 in 2009) and I finally gave up. I had an opportunity to test drive a 2013 RS5 and I absolutely fell in love. The car looks amazing and definitely has a way different feel then the M3. Yes it is "smoother" in the way it drives then the M3. Meaning you really are disconnected from the road. You can't feel everything like the E46 or the E92, but that doesn't matter. The car instills an amazing amount of confidence when you take a turn. It's truly an indescribable feeling until you drive it. I purchased the RS5 and had the M3 for another 2 weeks and I had the opportunity to go back and forth between the two cars. Those two weeks are gone now and when I see an M3 I sometimes miss my car, but not because of performance or anything else. I just had a connection with that car. I do not regret my decision. Every time I get in the RS5 everything works. I'm not beta testing a $80K car for BMW. HD radio stations just tune in it doesn't take 10 seconds for the signal to acquire. The Nav just works. The Voice Recognition works. The Ipod connector works all the time. When you get back in your car it picks up where you left off... I can go on and on. Anyways since I had two versions of the M I figured I would chime in...

I will probably get flamed for this... oh well.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2012, 07:11 PM   #44
Boostin FD
Bored all the time
United_States
Rep
Drives: Batmobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by h1d View Post
I have been a diehard BMW M3 fan for over 9 years. My first M3 was a 2003 E46... I loved this car. Brutal nonstop fun all the time... I then upgraded to the 2010 E92 M3. This cars engine was absolutely amazing and the first thing I noticed was the disconnect from the road. The steering was definitely way different then the E46. I still loved the car. Then at 7000 miles I received the dreaded xmas tree lights and had the first engine failure. Since then the car was never the same... I had nonstop issues and constantly had to record the problems on my phone camera because the dealership could never replicate the problem. I spent 3 years in that car (I purchased the 2010 in 2009) and I finally gave up. I had an opportunity to test drive a 2013 RS5 and I absolutely fell in love. The car looks amazing and definitely has a way different feel then the M3. Yes it is "smoother" in the way it drives then the M3. Meaning you really are disconnected from the road. You can't feel everything like the E46 or the E92, but that doesn't matter. The car instills an amazing amount of confidence when you take a turn. It's truly an indescribable feeling until you drive it. I purchased the RS5 and had the M3 for another 2 weeks and I had the opportunity to go back and forth between the two cars. Those two weeks are gone now and when I see an M3 I sometimes miss my car, but not because of performance or anything else. I just had a connection with that car. I do not regret my decision. Every time I get in the RS5 everything works. I'm not beta testing a $80K car for BMW. HD radio stations just tune in it doesn't take 10 seconds for the signal to acquire. The Nav just works. The Voice Recognition works. The Ipod connector works all the time. When you get back in your car it picks up where you left off... I can go on and on. Anyways since I had two versions of the M I figured I would chime in...

I will probably get flamed for this... oh well.
Well written. I have yet to find an RS5 here so I could test drive it.
Appreciate 0