BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

BPM
Closed Thread

02-08-2010, 05:55 AM   #67
alpina527
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 DCT JZB/FR

Quote:
Originally Posted by PunjabiM3 View Post
So for those of us with drop springs, any idea on when the stock struts will degrade in quality? Eventually, I will more than likely replace everything with coil-overs, but am wondering how many miles I can get out of the stock struts even if it is just an estimate...
I know of a Guy in the UK who had both front EDC shocks replaced at 38k miles.

The part number changed in July 2008 so I assume the newer version shock will last a bit longer
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2010, 09:23 AM   #68
armyav8tor
n1smo
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trier Germany View Post
I have H&R and felt a dramatic difference in handling on the Nordschleife. Alot less body roll! sharper turn ins! better felling at the limit. The stock setup is for M3 drivers that will never leave the public roads!
The stock suspension is more than capable of handling the Nurburgring. I've put ~50 laps on mine and I would not dream of touching the stock setup. I run the Nordschleife with EDC set to "normal".

Appreciate 0
      02-08-2010, 09:46 AM   #69
BarryC
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 M3

I spoke to Jay at GC on Friday about our suspension and his comments were the same as Richard's orginal post. I have also decided to move on from the Moton setup and had planned to go back to stock but Jay convinced me to try their coilover conversion setup.

So what I'm going to end up with is stock EDC struts with shorter bump stops, stiffer springs (probably 430f/600r) to make up for the lack of OEM bumpstop/spring, camber plates, height adjusters and rear shock mounts for less than $1k. I decided to try this because I can set the ride height/corner balance the car, have a linear spring thus more control and adjust some of the stiffness via a button inside the car. I've had good experiences with GC in the past and am trusting Jay's experience in what he's recommending.

I'll keep you guys posted on what transpires....

BC
      02-08-2010, 09:58 AM   #70
gr8000
Major
Greece
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 - DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by armyav8tor View Post
The stock suspension is more than capable of handling the Nurburgring. I've put ~50 laps on mine and I would not dream of touching the stock setup. I run the Nordschleife with EDC set to "normal".
How about brakes, how did those perform? Are you on stock brakes?
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2010, 02:58 PM   #71
armyav8tor
n1smo
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8000 View Post
How about brakes, how did those perform? Are you on stock brakes?
The stock brakes are fine other than the fact that the stock pads are junk, I warped 2 set of rotors because of them. Other than that, it never faded once on the 13 mile course and I usually do 2 to 3 consecutive laps. In hindsight, I should have invested in some Pagids. I am very easy on my tires and brakes, I did all 50 laps on the same set of PS2s. I had to replace the front tires after my last visit to the Ring, but the rears still had enough for me to do a couple of AutoX with a lot of drifting before I had to replace them. But as far as brakes, I'm going to get some RS19s before going to VIR this year.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2010, 06:34 PM   #72
BMRLVR
Grease Monkey
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3,1994 Euro E36 M3/4

I have Eibach Springs for My 2011 M3 so I bought the E36 Bump-stops and a set of OEM Guide Supports. I brought the OEM Guide-supports to the Machine Shop at Work and had the Machinist take 0.55" off of them.

With 0.25" shorter Bump-stops and 0.55" shorter Guide-supports (0.25"+0.55"=0.8") I now will have the full OEM suspension travel with my 0.8" lower Eibachs installed.
      02-08-2010, 07:22 PM   #73
JAJ
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 Shelby GT500

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMRLVR View Post
...With 0.25" shorter Bump-stops and 0.55" shorter Guide-supports (0.25"+0.55"=0.8") I now will have the full OEM suspension travel with my 0.8" lower Eibachs installed.
Before you completely reassemble your suspension with the new parts, you might want to trial fit the new bump stops and guide supports without the springs installed. Once they're in place, put the tire back on, jack up the front suspension until it's loaded on the bumpstop and see if the tire interferes with the inside of the wheel well through the full span of the steering wheel from lock to lock.

I'm thinking that there's a risk that you may have added enough travel that the tire will now travel upwards far enough to hit the inside of the wheel well.

Dinan would have done this exercise, and they only lowed the car about 0.4". If 0.8" is too far, some shims under the bump stop will make sure your tire doesn't contact the inside of the wheel well.

I'll be very interested to hear how this goes - more travel is a good thing, and an extra 0.8" is a significant upside if it works.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2010, 08:19 PM   #74
BMRLVR
Grease Monkey
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAJ View Post
Before you completely reassemble your suspension with the new parts, you might want to trial fit the new bump stops and guide supports without the springs installed. Once they're in place, put the tire back on, jack up the front suspension until it's loaded on the bumpstop and see if the tire interferes with the inside of the wheel well through the full span of the steering wheel from lock to lock.

I'm thinking that there's a risk that you may have added enough travel that the tire will now travel upwards far enough to hit the inside of the wheel well.

Dinan would have done this exercise, and they only lowed the car about 0.4". If 0.8" is too far, some shims under the bump stop will make sure your tire doesn't contact the inside of the wheel well.

I'll be very interested to hear how this goes - more travel is a good thing, and an extra 0.8" is a significant upside if it works.
This is definitely good advice and I have already thought of it. I am going to do a trial at full suspension compression just to make sure. If I don't have adequate clearance I will assemble it with either just the shorter bump-stop or the stock bump-stop and modified guide support.

Also, my 2011 will have ZCP so I am going to compare part #'s of the ZCP parts to the non ZCP parts and see if there is any differences. There is a slim chance that the ZCP will have different bump-stops and/or guide-supports to make up for the 10mm of lowering compared to a non-ZCP M3.

Finally, there is a possibility that I will like the stance of the ZCP suspension and I won't even install my Eibachs.
      02-09-2010, 04:53 PM   #75
midlifecrisis
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5 35d, 2019 230i X

I was at the Rolex 24 in Daytona two weekends ago and as I was eating dinner Steve Dinan himself sat down next to me. I had never met him, but he seemed like a great guy.

At any rate, when I told him I had an E90 M3, he started telling me about all the work they'd done on E9x suspension stuff that would be fully compatible with EDC. He was very proud of what they'd achieved in terms of handling while maintaining the comfort. I can't say I remember too many details, but I was impressed with his knowledge of the issues involved in aftermarket suspension tuning. He finished by saying even though he's known mostly for his engine tuning, he's also very proud of the work his company does on suspensions.

After chatting with him for 20 minutes or so, I wouldn't hesitate to buy his systems if I was on the market for suspension components. Also, Im not sure, but I think their policy is provide warranty on the systems their components affect. Check with them for details.

I don't have any first hand experience with the Dinan suspension, but I thought you'd all be interested in Steve Dinan's enthusiasm about his company's products.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2010, 08:18 AM   #76
jml
Major
Rep
Drives: X5M, GT3RS, GT4

Quote:

I hates u
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2010, 12:28 PM   #77
disruptv
Major
Rep
Drives: 3M

Garage List
09 3m  [0.00]
ok to recap

I have an e92 w/eibachs...I wasnt able to get the e36 bumpstops so my mechanic trimmed the oem ones...so far I have no issues and everything is great

My mechanic is a suspension expert and stated that trimming the oem bumpstops wouldnt have any adverse affects

Is he wrong and should I get the the e36 bumpstops and use those instead?

thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2010, 02:43 PM   #78
808MGuy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by disruptv View Post
ok to recap

I have an e92 w/eibachs...I wasnt able to get the e36 bumpstops so my mechanic trimmed the oem ones...so far I have no issues and everything is great

My mechanic is a suspension expert and stated that trimming the oem bumpstops wouldnt have any adverse affects

Is he wrong and should I get the the e36 bumpstops and use those instead?

thanks
What your mechanic said is basically equivalent to saying cutting your springs won't have any adverse effects. In modern suspension design, the bumpstop is designed as part of the system and does have a progressive nature to it similar to a progressive coil spring. Cutting it short will remove a portion of the bump stop and possibly turn it into a foam block of a certain stiffness rather than a progressive spring like device.
      02-13-2010, 01:28 AM   #79
Sleeper519
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 M3 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMRLVR View Post
I have Eibach Springs for My 2011 M3 so I bought the E36 Bump-stops and a set of OEM Guide Supports. I brought the OEM Guide-supports to the Machine Shop at Work and had the Machinist take 0.55" off of them.

With 0.25" shorter Bump-stops and 0.55" shorter Guide-supports (0.25"+0.55"=0.8") I now will have the full OEM suspension travel with my 0.8" lower Eibachs installed.
When are you planning to put this all together?!

That is exactly what I want to do: 08 E92 M3, Eibachs, E36 bumpstops, +/- the shaved guide supports.

Let us know. Subscribed!

2008 M3 Coupe / DCT // StopTech BBK 380/355 / Pagid RS29 / Motul / Apex Arc-8 / BFG R1S / Ground Control / MS filter / Performance spoiler / BPM tune // Road Atlanta 1:39.70 / VIR Full 2:10.87 / Barber 1:42.20
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2010, 02:50 AM   #80
BMRLVR
Grease Monkey
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeper519 View Post
When are you planning to put this all together?!

That is exactly what I want to do: 08 E92 M3, Eibachs, E36 bumpstops, +/- the shaved guide supports.

Let us know. Subscribed!
I will be assembling this when my car arrives in May...... I'll keep you posted!!!
      02-13-2010, 03:50 AM   #81
Leozap
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW E90 M3

Well, I am just going to get Eibach springs and be done with it. I don't really track my M anyway...
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2010, 10:59 AM   #82
albert1028
First Lieutenant
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 Space Gray M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leozap View Post
Well, I am just going to get Eibach springs and be done with it. I don't really track my M anyway...
I think I may go this way unless the GC setup is better setup. I think adding bumpstops and shaved guide supports is not shown to help and no one has shown any data analysis. I know that Eibach put a good chuck of development time into designing their springs to work with existing products.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2010, 12:57 PM   #83
Trier Germany
Banned
Luxembourg
Rep
Drives: 2009 E-90 M3 space gray

Nurburgring Suspension

Quote:

Don't get me wrong the stock suspension works great i did 25 laps on the stock suspension! But the H&R are night and day for my driving style. I prefer a stiffer ride plus the H&R got rid of the excess body roll on fast corners and fixed some of the slow speed plowing. I run EDC set to sport when dry & DSC off; when the ring is wet I run EDC set to normal and I turn all the electronic nannies on! The ring is freaking dangerous in the rain!
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2010, 04:47 PM   #84
ThorPR
Let's Race
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW M3

This is for armyav8tor and Trier Germany. I live about 1h 20min from the Nurburgring and I'm planning on tackling the course this spring/summer. I have been there before, including going on a joy ride with Sabine in her Porsche, but never driven the course myself.

What sound advice could you give me.

Thanks...

2010 BMW M3 Coupe
Alpine White - DCT
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2010, 07:40 PM   #85
armyav8tor
n1smo
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThorPR View Post
This is for armyav8tor and Trier Germany. I live about 1h 20min from the Nurburgring and I'm planning on tackling the course this spring/summer. I have been there before, including going on a joy ride with Sabine in her Porsche, but never driven the course myself.

What sound advice could you give me.

Thanks...
Take it slow at first and study the lines. There are a bunch of videos online, or just watch a few of my videos as those are the lines they teach for the track minus Brunchen where I like to give the viewing audience false hope of seeing a crash :P I've seen a few of my friends take it a little too aggressively and ended up in the Armco barriers. Other than that, enjoy it. Wish I was still stationed in Germany.

Appreciate 0
      02-13-2010, 07:49 PM   #86
armyav8tor
n1smo
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trier Germany View Post
Don't get me wrong the stock suspension works great i did 25 laps on the stock suspension! But the H&R are night and day for my driving style. I prefer a stiffer ride plus the H&R got rid of the excess body roll on fast corners and fixed some of the slow speed plowing. I run EDC set to sport when dry & DSC off; when the ring is wet I run EDC set to normal and I turn all the electronic nannies on! The ring is freaking dangerous in the rain!
I hear you, you can always improve the suspension. I'm just in the camp that thinks aftermarket springs on EDC equipped cars other than perhaps Dinan's will hurt performance. But if it works for you then I can't argue with that. I came from the 335i and driving that on the Ring and then changing to the M3 was more than enough improvement for me.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2010, 07:57 PM   #87
gthirtyfizle
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 AW

I may just be dreaming. But I have a feeling the gc suspension is gonna surprise a lot of ppl. I have spoken with those guys, and they seem to know so much about this car its not even funny. As a matter of fact, I think someone there has one, or deff worked on one first hand.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2010, 12:39 AM   #88
Trier Germany
Banned
Luxembourg
Rep
Drives: 2009 E-90 M3 space gray

EDC + Springs

Quote:
I hear you, you can always improve the suspension. I'm just in the camp that thinks aftermarket springs on EDC equipped cars other than perhaps Dinan's will hurt performance. But if it works for you then I can't argue with that. I came from the 335i and driving that on the Ring and then changing to the M3 was more than enough improvement for me.
I wasn't a fan of Springs at first! But after having a few PAX laps at the ring in my buddies M3-E92 coupe with H&R I was sold. Only time will tell to see if the aftermarket sprigs will damage the EDC shocks. I am till waiting for some EDC compatible coil-overs. I know i wont purchase factory replacement shocks way too expensive! So I hope by the time the factory shocks wear out they have EDC compatible coil-overs, or I'll just get the KW Variant 3's

Will you ever come back to Germany?
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread