BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wash, Wax, Detail, Cosmetic Maintenance & Repairs

Mporium BMW

04-19-2011, 01:25 PM   #1
Kurohouou
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

Zymol Carbon or Zaino questions

So I am planning on detailing my Jerez Black M3 for the first time. Bought it in December and its spring now so figure its the perfect time. I have been reading through the forums here a lot and I think I narrowed it down to these two for my budget.. don't think I can spend 150 ish on a wax right now. but I do want a good detail and I also plan on only doing this twice a year. I only drive about 7000 miles a year right now, so its not like a put a lot of miles on it and its garaged.

I plan on buying a Porter Cable buffer to help with the process as well. But I guess my question is, with the Zymol Carbon they say to apply it by hand with their pad. So it would mean I dont really need the Porter Cable for that. I could use it with the Zaino But I know I want to clean/polish my paint before applying to remove some bird crap etching. I know ill need the Porter Cable for that. So I plan on using either the Zymol HD Paint Cleanser or the Zaino Z-AIO Polish to remove that stuff.

So based on that, does anyone have any thoughts about which one would be better for what I am looking to do?

Zymol HD Cleanse and Zymol Carbon Wax
or
Zaino Z-AIO and Z2
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2011, 01:35 PM   #2
eclipsisNA
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 Estoril 328i M Sport

Garage List
2014 BMW 428i  [7.76]
There are more durable waxes than Carbon for much less money: Collonite 476 or 915, or Chemical Guys 50/50. Wax is all about durability. I've tested waxes that cost thousands and waxes that cost $30, and the visual difference is unnoticeable. Companies that sell the expensive waxes would love to have you think otherwise. Even though Carbon is the "affordable" Zymol wax, durability isn't that great, and it does nothing but collect dust in my cabinet.

http://www.chemicalguys.com/Carnauba..._p/wac_302.htm

http://detailersdomain.com/carcarepr...linite476.html

You can apply a paint cleaner, like Vertua Bond 408 (IMO the best cleaner on the market), by hand, so there's no need for a Porter Cable. It does make life a bit easier though if you're willing to spend the cash.

http://www.chemicalguys.com/VERTUA_B...gap_107_16.htm

Last edited by eclipsisNA; 04-19-2011 at 01:42 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2011, 01:47 PM   #3
disapr
drop a gear and...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 M3

Zaino should be applied by hand too. The Porter Cable is going to take out the swirl marks and etching from the bird poo. I just finished polishing my entire car with Wolfgang Total Swirl Remover 3.0 and a Porter Cable. I'm going to apply Zaino ZCS, ZAIO, Z5, Z2 and Z8 this week. PM me if you need more info on this process - It's a lot of work and money though.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2011, 01:50 PM   #4
Kurohouou
Second Lieutenant
Rep

The thing I have noticed though is that to buff out any paint imperfections like etching from bird droppings you will need a PC, I have tried using the P21s Paint Cleaner on them by end, going over it multiple times but no luck removing the etching So I am pretty sure ill need a good polish and PC to fix that. I don't mind waxing by hand as the final step.. just thought maybe i'd use the PC for that step as well since I had to get it anyways. I used Zaino Z2 and AIO on my Alpine white 335i. I liked the results it gave... maybe ill just stick with it, but the Zymol looked pretty nice from what I read too. I guess it really comes down to personal preference and trying it yourself it seems.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2011, 01:56 PM   #5
eclipsisNA
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW 428i  [7.76]
Paint cleansers aren't meant to fix etchings or scratches; that's for abbrassive polishes to take care of. Paint cleansers are meant to remove old waxes and light contamination.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2011, 02:09 PM   #6
Kurohouou
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eclipsis View Post
Paint cleansers aren't meant to fix etchings or scratches; that's for abbrassive polishes to take care of. Paint cleansers are meant to remove old waxes and light contamination.
Yeah I realize polishers are used for etchings and scratches.. but things like Zaino AIO seem to suggest they do the same.. but maybe on a slightly less abrasive side "Contaminants like tree sap, tar, bird droppings, bug remains, road grime, and many other pollutants can be easily removed with Z-AIO." also the Zymol HD Cleaner says it does a similar thing as the Z-AIO, removing moderate scratches and acid rain deposits.

I realize an actual polish can be more abrasive and remove deeper scratches and deposits.. but maybe the Z-AIO will be enough? OR do you think I need something even more abrasive?
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2011, 02:27 PM   #7
eclipsisNA
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW 428i  [7.76]
Paint cleaners will remove the contaminants, but not the etchings that come from exposure to mineral deposits and bird droppings.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2011, 03:02 PM   #8
Kurohouou
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I'll be sure to pick up a polish as well then. Need to make those things go away!
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2011, 11:59 AM   #9
Kurohouou
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eclipsis View Post
Paint cleaners will remove the contaminants, but not the etchings that come from exposure to mineral deposits and bird droppings.
BTW What polish do you recommend for removing bird crap etching?
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2011, 01:02 PM   #10
MuttGrunt
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: beater;)

Eclipsis is right on in his recommendations and information. Whatever protective product you want to use is certainly up to you, but it is important to understand what some of these products are designed for. HD Cleanse is known to be much like a "glaze" that is meant to add some glossing agents prior to a wax being used. Similar to Dodo Juice Lime Prime Light.
Appreciate 0