BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

Mporium BMW

02-19-2010, 01:15 AM   #23
skoot3r
BMW n00b
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 e92 M3/ 2013 GMC 2500hd

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxe92xx View Post
the akra is so expensive but it provides as much gains as the dinan full system...if i can get more performance at a way cheaper price than hell yeah (gintani)....so i dont see a reason to spend that much, the craftsmanship is the best im not arguing that...i love my gintani
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2010, 01:17 AM   #24
saeedg48
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche 991.1 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilia@IND View Post
This is a common misconception. A better flowing exhaust system will increase power and torque simultaneously. Horsepower is a function of torque, and therefore a gain in horsepower can't really come with a loss in torque. Some modifications will move the powerband, causing a loss in low end power with a gain in high end power, but the claim that a loss of power can result from reduced backpressure or increased flow is incorrect.

When designing exhaust systems, it's important to balance two key factors: exhaust flow velocity, and exhaust flow volume. The intended goal is always to evacuate as much exhaust gas from the combustion chamber as possible, to provide room for a clean intake charge in the next intake stroke, and even to possibly introduce a scavenging effect that will "force" intake air into the combustion chamber.

A high flow velocity will help to evacuate exhaust gasses. A high flow volume will do this also. The issue is, to increase flow volume, you increase piping size. To increase flow velocity, you reduce piping size. As you increase piping size, flow volume increases, but flow velocity decreases. As you decrease piping size, flow velocity might increase, but flow volume will decrease. So of course there is an ideal balance for each engine, and this balance is different for each engine based on it's volumetric efficiency, target operating range in terms of RPM, etc... Of course there are other factors involved, and this is a highly simplified version of things, but that's the basic rule. At the extreme end, a 6" pipe would reduce flow velocity to such a degree that power loss would occur, while a 1/4" pipe would reduce flow volume to such a degree that power loss would also occur.

This is how the "too much flow is bad" myth got started. Too little flow velocity is bad. More exhaust flow will mean more power every time, all other factors being equal.

Of course, there are many other factors to consider, and I'm by no means an expert in exhaust systems engineering, I just know a few things.

what he said.

2015 Porsche 991.1 GT3
2015 F80 M3 -- Individual; Space Grey
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2010, 09:32 AM   #25
Trier Germany
Banned
Luxembourg
Rep
Drives: 2009 E-90 M3 space gray

Has there been any Dynos on the tecnocraft intake to prove the gains?
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2010, 09:57 AM   #26
MMMorish
Just call me J.J. McClure
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 & C4 Corvette

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilia@IND View Post
This is a common misconception. A better flowing exhaust system will increase power and torque simultaneously. Horsepower is a function of torque, and therefore a gain in horsepower can't really come with a loss in torque. Some modifications will move the powerband, causing a loss in low end power with a gain in high end power, but the claim that a loss of power can result from reduced backpressure or increased flow is incorrect.

When designing exhaust systems, it's important to balance two key factors: exhaust flow velocity, and exhaust flow volume. The intended goal is always to evacuate as much exhaust gas from the combustion chamber as possible, to provide room for a clean intake charge in the next intake stroke, and even to possibly introduce a scavenging effect that will "force" intake air into the combustion chamber.

A high flow velocity will help to evacuate exhaust gasses. A high flow volume will do this also. The issue is, to increase flow volume, you increase piping size. To increase flow velocity, you reduce piping size. As you increase piping size, flow volume increases, but flow velocity decreases. As you decrease piping size, flow velocity might increase, but flow volume will decrease. So of course there is an ideal balance for each engine, and this balance is different for each engine based on it's volumetric efficiency, target operating range in terms of RPM, etc... Of course there are other factors involved, and this is a highly simplified version of things, but that's the basic rule. At the extreme end, a 6" pipe would reduce flow velocity to such a degree that power loss would occur, while a 1/4" pipe would reduce flow volume to such a degree that power loss would also occur.

This is how the "too much flow is bad" myth got started. Too little flow velocity is bad. More exhaust flow will mean more power every time, all other factors being equal.

Of course, there are many other factors to consider, and I'm by no means an expert in exhaust systems engineering, I just know a few things.
Ilia for President!!
MODS: Meisterschaft GT Racing Exhaust / BMC Air Filter / UUC SSK & DSSR (Modded)/ RPI Scoops / Passport SRX Hardwired / Custom Wrap 3M Clearbra / 20% Tint / 50% Windshield Tint / Key Hole Delete / Matted Out Accessories / VRS Type II Diffuser / Smoked Reflectors / Euphoria 6K LED Interior Lights / Rear Fog Light Mod / 6000K HID's / 6500K LUX H8 Angel Eyes / RDash License Plate LED Kit / LED Xenon Reverse Lights
"M3 drivers have no friends"
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2010, 12:06 AM   #27
Ca$hOnly
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxe92xx View Post
the akra is so expensive but it provides as much gains as the dinan full system...if i can get more performance at a way cheaper price than hell yeah (gintani)....so i dont see a reason to spend that much, the craftsmanship is the best im not arguing that...i love my gintani
It's also the weight you pay for with the Akra. 55lbs weight savings is quite significant.
      02-20-2010, 02:24 PM   #28
Bob MG
Moderating
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: like a muppet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donbona View Post
I have 460hp with full Akra + Airbox and remap. Not sure if you can reach 500hp unless you do what Pencil Geek did or go for a Supercharger.
With Akra and airbox we lucky to get 350 on the wheels!! ESS will get us 530!! My God can't wait!!

Last edited by Bob MG; 02-20-2010 at 02:32 PM..
Appreciate 0