BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

Mporium BMW

03-11-2009, 06:42 PM   #45
dogears
My master volume goes to 11
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M5 Competition

The 9500ci (the built in) does not detect rear radar according to the literature. Is this correct? I would love to get the built in 9500ci, but the lack of rear detection is an issue. I have the Calibre K40 built in and the rear detection has been a godsend.

In my experience, a regular detector would not get a reading when the cop is behind you the way the V1 or K40 does. Or the widshield mount 9500.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PencilGeek View Post
To me, this didn't describe any advantage to the arrows. Instead, what you're really describing is your own methodology for deciding whether or not to ignore your own radar detector. I never ignore mine, so this doesn't describe any advantage at all. With the 9500, I've never misdiagnosed whether a cop is in front or behind me. It's all in the rate of change in the signal strength. First of all, when I detect a bogey, I SLOW DOWN...I don't decide whether or not to ignore my own radar detector and keep on speeding. I stay slow until the signal is gone.

You can always tell where the bogey is coming from: Slow rate of change, the bogey is behind you; fast rate of change, the bogey is in front of you. I'm only aware of one single pathological instance where the V1 arrows have any merit at all: when you pass one bogey going in the opposite direction, and there's another one a few hundred yards behind him. But other than that one pathological case, I've never heard another expample of the arrows providing any benefit that is otherwise unobtainable simply by being a smart and observant person.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2009, 06:47 PM   #46
JohnnyRoaster
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 Jerez Black M3 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoCane View Post
JohnnyRoaster, do you have any shot of a 9500ci set-up in the ash tray? I like that set-up. Easy to conceal.
Check out Pencil's excellent thread for various install pictures. He is da man!

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=143999

Quote:
Originally Posted by colocane View Post

Also, someone just told me that laser jammers are now illegal in Colorado. Is that true?

Thanks.
Yes they are illegal in Colorado. You have to activate the jammer function, so it is up to the cops to prove you had it on.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2009, 07:28 PM   #47
J08M3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 COUPE

Quote:
Originally Posted by PencilGeek View Post
To me, this didn't describe any advantage to the arrows. Instead, what you're really describing is your own methodology for deciding whether or not to ignore your own radar detector. I never ignore mine, so this doesn't describe any advantage at all. With the 9500, I've never misdiagnosed whether a cop is in front or behind me. It's all in the rate of change in the signal strength. First of all, when I detect a bogey, I SLOW DOWN...I don't decide whether or not to ignore my own radar detector and keep on speeding. I stay slow until the signal is gone.

You can always tell where the bogey is coming from: Slow rate of change, the bogey is behind you; fast rate of change, the bogey is in front of you. I'm only aware of one single pathological instance where the V1 arrows have any merit at all: when you pass one bogey going in the opposite direction, and there's another one a few hundred yards behind him. But other than that one pathological case, I've never heard another expample of the arrows providing any benefit that is otherwise unobtainable simply by being a smart and observant person.

The arrow did help me. Let me explain:

Quite often I will get a weak signal that is a false alarm from a passing car with a cheap radar detector that leaks. Without the arrow I would've assumed my false alarm was one of the nearby cars using a cheap detector. It was night time so I could only clearly see the cars to the side of me and in front of me and could identify none were cops. Had I not known the signal was coming from behind me I could've easily assumed it was coming from one of those cars. I knew to keep an extra lookout since it was coming from behind me and I hadn't been able to identify all the cars back there. I had a bogey count of one and the arrows followed to cop as it passed me. In my opinion the arrows made it easier for me to identify the threat and know when it was passed.