BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

EXXEL Distributions

08-21-2012, 11:18 AM   #1
DopeM3
M Power
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

DCT Lagging issue

Hi guys,

I know this topic has been discussed over and over again but I've been noticing my 08 E92 DCT lagging. It is definitely noticeable. I feel the gears changing very sluggish and slow.

I took it to the dealer ship back in June because the warranty ran on it. They checked the transmission and said everything was fine. I didn't tell them to check the software update but I assumed they were going to check that. I called the dealer a few weeks later to see if they could check if they knew what software it had and they had no idea.The DCT lagging is more noticeable in Auto mode than manual but still in manual you could feel it lagging.

In short, is there anyway I could check what software is running? If it did need a software update, how much would that run me for?

Is there any videos showing the DCT lagging

I could either take it to the dealership or over at Turner Motorsports for it.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2012, 11:38 AM   #2
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jochy2048 View Post
Hi guys,

I know this topic has been discussed over and over again but I've been noticing my 08 E92 DCT lagging. It is definitely noticeable. I feel the gears changing very sluggish and slow.

I took it to the dealer ship back in June because the warranty ran on it. They checked the transmission and said everything was fine. I didn't tell them to check the software update but I assumed they were going to check that. I called the dealer a few weeks later to see if they could check if they knew what software it had and they had no idea.The DCT lagging is more noticeable in Auto mode than manual but still in manual you could feel it lagging.

In short, is there anyway I could check what software is running? If it did need a software update, how much would that run me for?

Is there any videos showing the DCT lagging

I could either take it to the dealership or over at Turner Motorsports for it.

Thanks
More than likely, you need a software update. Either pay at the dealer or an indy shop.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2012, 11:39 AM   #3
m0da
in the right lane
Rep
Drives: 2008 e93 m3

If your software has never been updated through BMW, meaning you are still on '08 software, you are entitled to an update for free through BMW. They released an update that (attempts to) resolves the issue.

If you have been updated after they (attempted to) fixed the issue, then you can request an update. Depending on the dealer and if you are still under warranty, you may or may not get it covered.

From what I know, there is no way of telling your software version without external tools.

Hope this helps.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2012, 12:28 PM   #4
kawasaki00
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: SG-E92 ESS-650 BPM Tune

You can call the dealership give them the last 7 of your vin and they can tell you if the dct update has been performed. Wont tell you the version but it will say if it has been done. You would be better if it has not, The Tech might know more but I dont think the dealership has the ability to update certain parts of the software therefore if you get the dct update you will get the latest of all the other updates also. Due to the bulletin on it it should be free.
      08-21-2012, 02:35 PM   #5
DopeM3
M Power
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE TECH View Post
More than likely, you need a software update. Either pay at the dealer or an indy shop.

Called the dealer up just now and the service advisor said there was a sofware update (re-programming) back in April 2011.

Do you think there's a more updated version?
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2012, 02:36 PM   #6
DopeM3
M Power
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by m0da View Post
If your software has never been updated through BMW, meaning you are still on '08 software, you are entitled to an update for free through BMW. They released an update that (attempts to) resolves the issue.

If you have been updated after they (attempted to) fixed the issue, then you can request an update. Depending on the dealer and if you are still under warranty, you may or may not get it covered.

From what I know, there is no way of telling your software version without external tools.

Hope this helps.
Most recent software update (re-programming) was back in April 2011. That's what my dealer said.

Do you think there's something an update for it?
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2012, 02:48 PM   #7
ChrisK
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C

Garage List
Absolutely. I just got the latest software installed about a month ago. It was like a new car afterwards.
      08-21-2012, 02:57 PM   #8
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jochy2048 View Post
Called the dealer up just now and the service advisor said there was a sofware update (re-programming) back in April 2011.

Do you think there's a more updated version?
It's likely your car has older software. Only one way to know for sure and that would be to head to a shop.
Appreciate 0