BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

European Auto Source (EAS)

10-13-2009, 03:02 PM   #1
Pete The Greek
the greek guy
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 M3 AW/FR

Garage List
2010 E92 M3  [0.00]
Exhaust and modification question, need some help

Hey guys I needed some help here, I've been looking around on the boards for a while and have some questions of my own to ask regarding exhaust and other modifications. First off I have an e92 M3 on order which should be arriving within the next few weeks and I was looking into modifying it of course Now I've noticed how a few people are having warranty issues with their cars after modding, I understand that most if not all aftermarket parts will void the warranty of whatever part of the car theyre associated with. Now I've also heard that BMW Dealer installed Dinan parts will NOT void the warranty, I called up my local dealer and they said "it shouldnt void the warranty" but if I'm going to risk voiding the warranty on a $70k vehicle I want to be sure of it. So to me it seems that if I want to keep the warranty and add a little spice to my car, Dinan is the only way to go. Any input on this? Thanks in advance
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2009, 03:24 PM   #2
Ca$hOnly
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

How exactly will an exhaust void your warranty? The only thing you should be worried about is software. Everything else is pretty safe unless you pry open the engine and make modifications.
      10-13-2009, 03:27 PM   #3
xxe92xx
Banned
Rep
Drives: 08 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete The Greek View Post
Hey guys I needed some help here, I've been looking around on the boards for a while and have some questions of my own to ask regarding exhaust and other modifications. First off I have an e92 M3 on order which should be arriving within the next few weeks and I was looking into modifying it of course Now I've noticed how a few people are having warranty issues with their cars after modding, I understand that most if not all aftermarket parts will void the warranty of whatever part of the car theyre associated with. Now I've also heard that BMW Dealer installed Dinan parts will NOT void the warranty, I called up my local dealer and they said "it shouldnt void the warranty" but if I'm going to risk voiding the warranty on a $70k vehicle I want to be sure of it. So to me it seems that if I want to keep the warranty and add a little spice to my car, Dinan is the only way to go. Any input on this? Thanks in advance
FALSE....the only mod you should worry about voiding your warranty is an ecu tune, theres a thread on it thats very popular right now. Any exhaust mod is OK to do, which includes HFC's( high flow cats), x-pipe, and axle-back exhaust. Exhaust mods are what your going to get most of your power from and adding a drop in filter also adds a few extra horses too. Don't go with Dinian unless you really what to, they are way too over priced IMO!
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2009, 03:31 PM   #4
Pete The Greek
the greek guy
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 E92 M3  [0.00]
One more question, what about passing emissions? Will all aftermarket exhausts pass or does it depend on the model?
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2009, 03:33 PM   #5
Ca$hOnly
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
One more question, what about passing emissions? Will all aftermarket exhausts pass or does it depend on the model?
It will pass unless you remove your cats. Just go with an axle-back system and you will have nothing to worry about.
      10-13-2009, 03:34 PM   #6
Pete The Greek
the greek guy
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 E92 M3  [0.00]

now its all a matter of deciding which one to go with... hmm..
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2009, 03:37 PM   #7
Crazy Bimmer
The Jesal
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:

Many of us locally have exhausts. Most dealers around here dont care. I visit Patrick BMW for service and they really dont mind.

They actually crowd around the car and want to hear it.

As long as you keep your stock cats in place then you are ok. Otherwise if you plan to go HFC or Catless, then you will need a ecu tune to pass emissions here in IL.
      10-13-2009, 04:11 PM   #8
Checkcaptain
Major
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesal@Project 808 View Post
Many of us locally have exhausts. Most dealers around here dont care. I visit Patrick BMW for service and they really dont mind.

They actually crowd around the car and want to hear it.

As long as you keep your stock cats in place then you are ok. Otherwise if you plan to go HFC or Catless, then you will need a ecu tune to pass emissions here in IL.
My local BMW dealer here in Germany is even installing the aftermarket header back system.
Guess I am not allowed to post the name of the system here
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2009, 05:48 PM   #9
Lemans_Blue_M
Automotive Industry Insider
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lemans Blue M3

Quote:
Correct, removing the OE part will void the warranty on that particular part.

BTW: ALL aftermarket parts will void the factory warranty on the OE part you replaced.

Now you seem to think that by choosing DINAN...this will not void the warranty.

That is incorrect.

DINAN aftermarket parts will void the BMW factory warranty, just like any other aftermarket part would.

The only difference is...DINAN will replace the factory warranty with their own warranty, so you still have some coverage.

Virtually all aftermarket parts are considered "for off road use only", and they carry no direct warranty coverage.

You are basically on your own with these parts. If anything goes wrong, you will likely have to 'eat' the cost of that part yourself. (with very few exceptions)

Replacing your OE parts for aftermarket substitutes will usually improve the performance of the vehicle...but you have to realize there is also an inherent risk involved by choosing this path as well.

Just make sure you go into this with your eyes open.
      10-23-2009, 02:13 PM   #10
SV Concepts
United_States
Rep
Drives: Vorsteiner E60 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemans_Blue_M View Post
DINAN aftermarket parts will void the BMW factory warranty, just like any other aftermarket part would.

The only difference is...DINAN will replace the factory warranty with their own warranty, so you still have some coverage.

Now, as for choosing an aftermarket exhaust... don't worry about the warranty. The dealership would have a very difficult time proving that an aftermarket exhaust caused failure in the car. People replace the exhausts on Lamborghini's, Porsche's, and Ferrari's all the time, and trust me, replacing their engine is COSTLY.

My preference for the E9X M3? MeisterSchaft. It's really the Aston Martin of our exhaust offerings. Excellent Exhaust system available in Stainless or Titanium, exotic sound, pretty rare. I also like the REMUS we have in stock for a lower-priced, high quality alternative. I call it the "BMW" of our exhaust line because it's top quality, but also mass-produced and without the "exotic" flare of the MeisterSchaft. Then you have the Active AutoWerke, which is kind of like the AMG (special and unique with an element of craftsmanship, but still pretty straightforward), and the Eisenmann (Audi R8 of the lineup for it's hand-made quality and distinctly German tone). Riss racing, Agency Power, and a few others also make great systems, and we sell a lot of all of them.

I would say that you need to decide what you want it to sound like, and how much you want to spend, and then speak to one of the site sponsors about that. They will find a compromise between sound, quality, and price, and find the right system for you.

I am an outspoken critic of Dinan (as are most people in my line of work) because they charge a premium price for minimal gains. You're paying for peace of mind, which is one thing when you're upgrading the motor, but for things like this.. there's no need (Which isn't to say I would recommend them for anything but service [for which I have had GREAT experiences], because if you name me any DINAN part, I can recommend a more competitively priced product that outperforms it. DINAN has to be conservative if they want BMW dealerships to sell their products.) Dinan does have outstanding quality, of course.

Hope this helps
JL
Appreciate 0