BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

European Auto Source (EAS)

06-28-2011, 03:32 PM   #1
persian54
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M760/G83M4

To change oil or not to change oil, that is the question :P

My car has 6300 miles on it right now, with 4 track days.

In July, I have at least 3, if not 4 track days lined up, and probably another 1200-1300 miles

So I'm thinking...should I do an oil change now, and then do one in Dec (when my 1 year comes up so BMW will pay for it, I will have the 3-4 July track days, plus at least 4 more before Dec comes around, and about 6k more miles), or should I do an oil change beginning of August instead and wait until Dec for my free one.

My dealer said they have a special right now for about $200 for an oil change, oil included of course.

Regularly it's $270

I don't want to do an oil change now and another in Aug.

Car is a lease, so longevity is not important...(as long as it lasts me for 2.4 more years and 25k more miles or so), but performance is important.
I don't race...I'm not a hardcore track junkie, but I would like my car to perform well
If the car was owned and I was planning keeping it for a long time, I would have done an oil change now and in August, but that is not the case.

Thank you for your input

I originally posted this in the track section, but I feel it fits here as well, so I made a thread here too :P
Mods, please move/delete either thread if I made a mistake.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2011, 03:40 PM   #2
FVM3
Major General
Rep
Drives: e92 m3, f30 328i

4 tracks days, 6k miles and you never changed engine oil? Also $200 for a oil change is rip off
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2011, 03:42 PM   #3
sawzall
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: A Car

Garage List
2012 911S  [10.00]
2011 911 GT3 RS  [0.00]
If you plan on giving the car back at the end of the lease, there really isn't much of a point in doing an oil change now (just follow what BMW prescribes so you're not in violation of your leasing agreement). If you're planning (or thinking) on keeping it, i'd definitely change the oil.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2011, 03:43 PM   #4
cmk227
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Goal: Another ///M

I say just do it after the July track days. I am sure the car can handle well without an oil change.

14 Lexus GX460 & 14 Lexus ES300H
14 BMW 528d Touring Estate - UK
Previous M's: 11 BMW M3 JZB ZCP 6MT, 02 BMW M3 Conv 6MT & 02 BMW M3 Coupe 6MT
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2011, 03:46 PM   #5
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Double Vanos'd Civic-M3

$12.50 per bottle x 9 bottles.
$17 for filter.

Dealer might charge about $40 for labor.

how are they charging $200?

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...il+filter+cost
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2011, 03:47 PM   #6
ShadeD1
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5 xDrive 35i

I had mine tested by blackstone after 5800 miles and 9 track days and the report was fine. The tech wrote in the comments that I could go longer between future changes. I'm waiting till the dealer does it for me and retesting to see what the oil looks like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by persian54 View Post
My car has 6300 miles on it right now, with 4 track days.

In July, I have at least 3, if not 4 track days lined up, and probably another 1200-1300 miles

So I'm thinking...should I do an oil change now, and then do one in Dec (when my 1 year comes up so BMW will pay for it, I will have the 3-4 July track days, plus at least 4 more before Dec comes around, and about 6k more miles), or should I do an oil change beginning of August instead and wait until Dec for my free one.

My dealer said they have a special right now for about $200 for an oil change, oil included of course.

Regularly it's $270

I don't want to do an oil change now and another in Aug.

Car is a lease, so longevity is not important...(as long as it lasts me for 2.4 more years and 25k more miles or so), but performance is important.
I don't race...I'm not a hardcore track junkie, but I would like my car to perform well
If the car was owned and I was planning keeping it for a long time, I would have done an oil change now and in August, but that is not the case.

Thank you for your input

I originally posted this in the track section, but I feel it fits here as well, so I made a thread here too :P
Mods, please move/delete either thread if I made a mistake.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2011, 03:49 PM   #7
FVM3
Major General
Rep

luckily thats just a lease
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2011, 03:55 PM   #8
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by christopherchenm View Post
Also $200 for a oil change is rip off
Well, considering oil and filter costs $160 retail, it's hardly a rip off. But you can buy the kit from Tischer for $140 shipped and DIY .

Hey OP, you better read your leasing agreement and make sure tracking is not prohibited... which I'd be surprised if it's not. And if it is, you should modify your post. And notice I didn't quote you to protect the guilty; you're welcome . Take care.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2011, 03:59 PM   #9
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
Rep

what's up with the tags on the thread?
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2011, 03:59 PM   #10
FVM3
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by elp_jc View Post
Well, considering oil and filter costs $160 retail, it's hardly a rip off. But you can buy the kit from Tischer for $140 shipped and DIY .

Hey OP, you better read your leasing agreement and make sure tracking is not prohibited... which I'd be surprised if it's not. And if it is, you should modify your post. And notice I didn't quote you to protect the guilty; you're welcome . Take care.
mobil 1 ( $7.99 + tax ) x 9 + filter + 20 labor = $120
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2011, 04:02 PM   #11
Grail05
Putcha ang ganda...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdosu View Post
$17 for filter.

I guess prices are just totally different... also when i do my oil i pay 130 total including filter... plus if your talking about labor 60-70 bucks per hours is about right so 200 is just right... so 200? is about right plus they still made money on the oil and filter since cost is half that.
      06-28-2011, 04:21 PM   #12
persian54
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
4 tracks days, 6k miles and you never changed engine oil? Also $200 for a oil change is rip off
See:
Quote:
Originally Posted by shizzle View Post
If you plan on giving the car back at the end of the lease, there really isn't much of a point in doing an oil change now (just follow what BMW prescribes so you're not in violation of your leasing agreement). If you're planning (or thinking) on keeping it, i'd definitely change the oil.

I know for a fact, 110%, I will not be keeping the car after the lease is over. Hell, the way it's looking, I will be out of the car before the lease is over with money in my pocket (long story)

Quote:
$17 for filter.

Oil+filter=$130, labor is $200/hour IIRC.
So that's how their regular $250-270 comes from (half an hour labor, $100, add tax to oil and filter)

So by that, around $200 is pretty good (for that dealer at least).He told me under/around 200, so I'm assuming it's more 190... but whatever

either way, 170,-200, it's not that big of a difference. I rather pay $30 more than have to drive 20 minutes out (gas, time, mileage)

Nearest place that can change oil (that I would trust) charges the same as the dealer (so it's out)
The other place is Gintani, but I haven't checked their rates, and if it's already $130 for oil/filter, I don't see how they're much different than the dealer. Dealer is 3 mi from my house, Gintani is 7 mi from my work, effectively 16 mile from my house.

I'm not concerned about the $30 difference. More about doing an oil change now and needing to do one again before the free Dec on (effectively a $200ish difference)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadeD1 View Post
I had mine tested by blackstone after 5800 miles and 9 track days and the report was fine. The tech wrote in the comments that I could go longer between future changes. I'm waiting till the dealer does it for me and retesting to see what the oil looks like.
Thank you for this information

Quote:
luckily thats just a lease
Hence why I don't plan to ever buy a car again

Every car I've bought has ended up costing more than a lease (then again, longest I've ever kept a car is 24 months and that was during high school)

Quote:

Not much of the DIY type....I'm more of the lazy have others do the work type
Hey they need to eat too right?

Tracking is not against leasing agreement. As long as the entire warranty of the vehicle is not voided, I'm fine. Leasing or owning is more similar than you'd think
Nonetheless, neither my legal name, location, license plate, or vin are anywhere online
Nor is my plate or VIN in any picture or reported when I'm at the track. Actually, I haven't even opened up my DMV package that has my license plate..i don't even know what it is myself lol

Plus, I returned my heavily modded 335i without an issue :P
But I did restore it to stock, and I never had a problem with a modified part... so even then they wouldn't be able to void my entire warranty.

But thank you for not quoting me

Quote:
what's up with the tags on the thread?
Go to OT, you'll see much more.

There's apparently someone I pissed off months ago and he makes these tags in most of my threads. Pretty ridiculous, immature, and downright stupid; but hey if it makes him feel better let him continue. I think the mods should do something about unrelated tags though.

Quote:
I wouldn't want to use Mobil 1.
And who only charges $20 labor these days?

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlanta2004m3 View Post
$40 for labor? What's the hourly rate in your neck of the woods these days? Don't they charge out at a 1 hour minimum?
$200/hour IIRC
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2011, 04:21 PM   #13
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
which Mobil 1 do you use? Why would you risk it? for a $4 saving per bottle?
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2011, 04:29 PM   #14
persian54
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Anyways.... regardless of how much they are charging me, be it 140, 180, 200....

Should I do it now before July events, or Aug, after July events

Thank you
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2011, 04:33 PM   #15
JCtx
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Tempting, but with BMW paying for service, you're forced to use what they recommend, and only oil recommended is the 10W/60. I personally think 10/60 is detrimental to the engine in winter, but am sticking to it under warranty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by persian54 View Post
Tracking is not against leasing agreement.
I'll never lease, but good to know tracking is permitted . However, insurance companies don't , so just don't crash at a track, because if any airbag deploys, BMW Assist would give you away instantly (yes, it reports the accident/location to the police automatically, which insurance companies have access to). Take care.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2011, 04:35 PM   #16
ManAndMachine
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80M3 BG KO, '17 Taco Pro

$200 for an oil change is not bad at all,well you can save $60 with DIY but to some its not worth the time or the effort.

I would do the oil change after the next track day or two.

ShadeD1,thanks for the feedback on the oil analysis.That's great to hear.These engines seem bulletproof with results like that

Personally I will be doing an oil change after my next track day which should be around the 6K mile mark.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2011, 04:36 PM   #17
ManAndMachine
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Tempting, but with BMW paying for service, you're forced to use what they recommend, and only oil recommended is the 10W/60. I personally think 10/60 is detrimental to the engine in winter, but am sticking to it under warranty.

I'll never lease, but good to know . But insurance companies don't , so just don't crash at a track, because if any airbag deploys, BMW Assist would give you away instantly (yes, it reports the accident/location to the police automatically, which insurance companies have access to). Take care.
Not unless BMW Assist is activated
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2011, 04:38 PM   #18
JCtx
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTM505SX View Post
Not unless BMW Assist is activated
Or deactivated . Mine was already activated when I bought the car new. Guess it depends on the dealer then. I went thru the pressing SOS button routine to activate it, and the nice lady told me I was all set, but verified information and asked me if I wanted to change anything. Remember BMW Assist is independent of bluetooth; I called SOS before pairing a phone.

I'm sure there should be a way to deactivate it as far as services is concerned, but for those tracking their cars, you better ask BMW if deactivation also means not reporting an accident to the police. It might be built into the system; who knows. We already have black boxes against our will, so I wouldn't be surprised about automatic accident notificaton... which 99%+ of owners would appreciate . Good day.

Last edited by JCtx; 06-28-2011 at 04:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2011, 04:43 PM   #19
ManAndMachine
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Or deactivated . Mine was already activated when I bought the car new. Guess it depends on the dealer then. I went thru the pressing SOS button routine to activate it, and the nice lady told me I was all set. All righty .
I'm off the radar as of now..
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2011, 05:05 PM   #20
persian54
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:

I'll never lease, but good to know tracking is permitted . However, insurance companies don't , so just don't crash at a track, because if any airbag deploys, BMW Assist would give you away instantly (yes, it reports the accident/location to the police automatically, which insurance companies have access to). Take care.
Liberty insurance allows track driving as long as there's no competition involved

Though I haven't checked if Wawanesa does...if not, I'll see what the difference in price is and make the change.

No need to turn this into a lease vs buy thread. I would buy the car if I planned on keeping it long, that's for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTM505SX View Post
I would do the oil change after the next track day or two.
I guess I'll do it mid July after Button Willow then

Quote:
I'm sure there should be a way to deactivate it as far as services is concerned, but for those tracking their cars, you better ask BMW if deactivation also means not reporting an accident to the police. It might be built into the system; who knows. We already have black boxes against our will, so I wouldn't be surprised about automatic accident notificaton... which 99%+ of owners would appreciate . Good day.
I'll have to look into this

Nonetheless, I stay at beginner/low intermediate groups for a reason.
I don't want to get too aggressive, surrounded by driver's who will do reckless act for a split second improvement in time.

So far I've had great experiences . Thank you for your input
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2011, 07:27 PM   #21
montreal red
chris
Canada
Rep
Drives: White Boat

its a lease... just stick to the bmw suggested intervals... i wouldnt bother doing anything more.

Current: 2013 F10 M5 & 2016 Mini JCW
2013 GLK350 (gone), 997.1 GT3RS (gone), 2009 WRX STI (gone), e92 M3 (gone)
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2011, 02:04 AM   #22
Singletrack
4th down; 4th quarter? Renegade.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 SSII E92 M3; 19 FG M5C

Quote:
I personally think 10/60 is detrimental to the engine in winter, but am sticking to it under warranty.
LOL.

Right, because you looked at it in winter and determined that the company based out of Bavaria is putting oil in their cars that is detrimental in the winter.
Appreciate 0