BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

BPM

12-24-2008, 04:26 PM   #1
ROADKING36
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: wanted 09 M3

URGENT! Would you buy an M3 without EDC?

I found an 08 with nav, but it does not have the technology or premium sound. I can get it for a great deal, but will I regret it in the future? What exactly will I be missing? Does the EDC make a huge difference? Should I just spend the extra on the 2009? I need to make a decision soon. Thanks for everyones help.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2008, 04:33 PM   #2
mPlasticDesign
Major General
Rep
Drives: BMW 230i Msport w/LSD
Location: Astral Projecting: ∞ 23.516 -122 02.625 0242.101 ĕv'rē-hwâr'

Garage List
URGENT! Would you buy an M3 without EDC?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROADKING36 View Post
I found an 08 with nav, but it does not have the technology or premium sound. I can get it for a great deal, but will I regret it in the future? What exactly will I be missing? Does the EDC make a huge difference? Should I just spend the extra on the 2009? I need to make a decision soon. Thanks for everyones help.
Would I by an M3 without EDC? I would and did. No regrets. Also have the standard sound which is 10x's better than the HK in the E46 IMO. Good Luck!
      12-24-2008, 04:55 PM   #3
Ronin13
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, RRS Supercharged, S2K

The standard suspension has reviewed well. The key is if the characteristics that EDC provide are important to you (potential handling improvements on less than perfect surfaces and ride benefits). If you were originally thinking about the tech package, there are also other items to consider. Functions like Comfort access, M Drive, DSC M Dynamic Mode, Sport Servotronic setting and Sport+ throttle setting. Again... would have to decide how important these would be to you as most don't just get Nav and EDC separately.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2008, 05:15 PM   #4
kmarei
Major General
Egypt
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi RS5 coupe

Garage List
2018 Audi RS5  [0.00]
i got without EDC and thats the way i wanted it
i wanted an M3
mainly for the engine and chassis setup
the less gimmicks to play with the better
hence no idrive or edc or tech
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2008, 05:17 PM   #5
urbo73
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M340i xDrive

To me, the most important thing you would be missing is the M Dynamic Mode (in the Tech package). DSC on is too prohibitive, and OFF not suitable all the time. M Dynamic Mode is perfect. Sport+ is a gimmick IMO and EDC is great, but not as necessary IMO as M Dynamic mode.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2008, 05:18 PM   #6
urbo73
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarei View Post
i got without EDC and thats the way i wanted it
i wanted an M3
mainly for the engine and chassis setup
the less gimmicks to play with the better
hence no idrive or edc or tech
M Dynamic Mode and EDC are NOT gimmicks. Gimmicks are the POWER setting in Sport+ and other silly things, but not MDM and EDC. Why would you call them that? Can you ellaborate?
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2008, 05:25 PM   #7
MMMorish
Just call me J.J. McClure
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 & C4 Corvette

I think I'd miss the M Dynamic Mode too. That and the universal garage opener. Oh yeah, comfort access too. Come to think of it there is quite a bit I'd miss if I didn't have tech package. Small things that IMO go a long way. Just my opinion.
MODS: Meisterschaft GT Racing Exhaust / BMC Air Filter / UUC SSK & DSSR (Modded)/ RPI Scoops / Passport SRX Hardwired / Custom Wrap 3M Clearbra / 20% Tint / 50% Windshield Tint / Key Hole Delete / Matted Out Accessories / VRS Type II Diffuser / Smoked Reflectors / Euphoria 6K LED Interior Lights / Rear Fog Light Mod / 6000K HID's / 6500K LUX H8 Angel Eyes / RDash License Plate LED Kit / LED Xenon Reverse Lights
"M3 drivers have no friends"
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2008, 05:39 PM   #8
mPlasticDesign
Major General
Rep
Drives: BMW 230i Msport w/LSD
Location: Astral Projecting: ∞ 23.516 -122 02.625 0242.101 ĕv'rē-hwâr'

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbo73 View Post
M Dynamic Mode and EDC are NOT gimmicks. Gimmicks are the POWER setting in Sport+ and other silly things, but not MDM and EDC. Why would you call them that? Can you ellaborate?
Your'e right not gimmicks, but once you find a setting you like, you usually don't mess with it anymore as you familiarize yourself with the cars characteristics in that particular setting. If I remember correctly, when watching the episode of TESTDRIVE with Tommy Kendal, all the drivers ended up prefering the middle of the road settings when running the car through the slalom. Which is where the non EDC suspension is set at. I don't miss the cushy ride and don't see myself using the 'track' setting on surface streets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMMorish View Post
I think I'd miss the M Dynamic Mode too. That and the universal garage opener......
I do wish I had the M Dynamic mode for the electron nanny traction control that is less intrusive. As far as the universal garage opener, I have that as part of the premium package. Also have Bluetooth as part of BMW assist. Both important to me.
      12-24-2008, 05:41 PM   #9
lvwirelessguy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3, 2012 Golf TDI

Garage List
2005 M3  [0.00]
HELL NO
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2008, 05:56 PM   #10
Advskier
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92

For whatever it's worth.
If you get an M without EDC, you can rationalize and justify it (like some of the people here), but you will probably regret it.

I enjoy leaving it on soft settings when I have a passenger in the car, long straight trips, and even around town.

When I want more performance, it's a button away.

With every car I've purchased, there have been times I wished I bought options I didn't, but there has never been a time where I wished I didn't buy one.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2008, 06:07 PM   #11
duk
///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW/FR 6MT E92

tech package is a must imo
      12-24-2008, 06:31 PM   #12
Purple88Gold
Holding Out
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 88 Honda Civic DX

It's a 70k car. Put everything you think you might use even once. If you eventually have to sell the car, these options might help. Or am I wrong about this?
      12-24-2008, 06:32 PM   #13
BimmerRob08
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3, Space Gray

How much of a savings are we talking about if you go with the M3 with no EDC, tech package or other options? Question you should ask yourself I'd think is, is the savings worth it? Will you miss that extra few grand? Or are we talking about a shit ton of money that you really can't justify spending on the extra options?

My take; I figured I'm getting an M3, might as well get all the options I want and will make this car worth having. It was all or none and I did look at getting a base model at first but then I'm glad I didn't. $$ is $$ and money comes and goes in life. For me it was do it or forget about it all together. So I spent it and honestly, I would have only saved about $2,000 or what ever the tech package cost, I don't remember off hand, and in 2 or 5 years from now I'm gonna still have this M3 (I hope) and it won't matter. If we're talking about a saving of like $8,000 then I can totaly understand. But a few grand, might as well enjoy it all if can do with out that few grand.

Think it through and don't regret it later and enjoy the ride.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2008, 06:49 PM   #14
PortoM3
M3lover
Germany
Rep
Drives: SSII M3

I wouldn't get it, but that's just me. I love having the extra features it offers. good luck. get an 09. if you don't like the toys, don't use them. it's better to have them and not need them than need them or want them and not have them.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2008, 06:54 PM   #15
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerRob08 View Post
How much of a savings are we talking about if you go with the M3 with no EDC, tech package or other options? Question you should ask yourself I'd think is, is the savings worth it? Will you miss that extra few grand? Or are we talking about a shit ton of money that you really can't justify spending on the extra options?

My take; I figured I'm getting an M3, might as well get all the options I want and will make this car worth having. It was all or none and I did look at getting a base model at first but then I'm glad I didn't. $$ is $$ and money comes and goes in life. For me it was do it or forget about it all together. So I spent it and honestly, I would have only saved about $2,000 or what ever the tech package cost, I don't remember off hand, and in 2 or 5 years from now I'm gonna still have this M3 (I hope) and it won't matter. If we're talking about a saving of like $8,000 then I can totaly understand. But a few grand, might as well enjoy it all if can do with out that few grand.

Think it through and don't regret it later and enjoy the ride.
Most probably it is around $8000+ in savings, as the OP is considering an '08 M3 -at 0.9% and most probably at some $3000 below invoice- vs. ordering an '09 -3.9%, at $1000 over invoice and most probably an extra $1000 just in base price.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2008, 07:01 PM   #16
09E92M34ME
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3

I would say you definitely won't regret getting it but you might regret not getting it.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2008, 08:22 PM   #17
urbo73
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Metak View Post
Your'e right not gimmicks, but once you find a setting you like, you usually don't mess with it anymore as you familiarize yourself with the cars characteristics in that particular setting. If I remember correctly, when watching the episode of TESTDRIVE with Tommy Kendal, all the drivers ended up prefering the middle of the road settings when running the car through the slalom. Which is where the non EDC suspension is set at. I don't miss the cushy ride and don't see myself using the 'track' setting on surface streets.

I do wish I had the M Dynamic mode for the electron nanny traction control that is less intrusive. As far as the universal garage opener, I have that as part of the premium package. Also have Bluetooth as part of BMW assist. Both important to me.
I agree - as my settings are the following in M Drive:

POWER: Normal
EDC: Normal
Steering: Normal
DSC: MDM

And in my key memory:

POWER: Normal
EDC: Normal

So for ME, all the M button does is activate MDM. I made a post once as to why I chose these settings, and these are the settings I use all around in ALL conditions/circumstances. The M button to me is a gimmick itself. I just can't get MDM any other way. And I love MDM. *BUT* I can cycle through DSC ON, OFF, and MDM via either the DSC button or the M button. So everything stays the same and I can turn DSC ON/OFF/MDM at the touch of a button. I like that. Of course it would be nicer if the DSC button would have ON/MDM/OFF, but BMW needs to sell "packages"..

Also, what is the suspension in non-EDC cars? If it's active, then that's good. Like EDC Comfort or EDC Normal on EDC cars (Sport is passive). But if it's NOT active, then that's why I say EDC is worth it.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2008, 08:26 PM   #18
urbo73
Captain
United_States
Rep

Also I agree, but when I made that post/thread (inquiring about what M settings people have), it seems most people like to have 2 different settings. I myself have said that for ME I don't like that - it makes no sense once I settle on what I think are the best settings for how I drive. Why would I switch? But people have different preferences, etc.

And I guess I agree with the drivers on that show you watched. The Normal settings are best. Normal throttle = best throttle modulation - Normal EDC = Best adaptive suspension, Normal steering = most consistent feel (sport is heavier but feels uneven off-center), and MDM is MDM..
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2008, 08:29 PM   #19
BIGNTASTIE
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: white/red 08 M3, 05 Rangerover

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvwirelessguy View Post
HELL NO
+1
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2008, 09:05 PM   #20
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

How many people have actually made use of M-Dynamic mode? It's really a track mode and shouldn't ever be needed on the street. As for EDC, not much need if you drive in an area with decent roads.
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2008, 09:12 PM   #21
urbo73
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post
How many people have actually made use of M-Dynamic mode? It's really a track mode and shouldn't ever be needed on the street. As for EDC, not much need if you drive in an area with decent roads.
I use MDM all the time. It's even good in snow. Why do you say it's a track mode? DSC on is too intrusive and MDM is great for all around driving if you know how to make small corrections (if needed) with steering/throttle input. Like I said, I use it all the time. DSC on limits the power this engine can deliver to the wheels.

As for EDC, an active suspension is always better IMO. Nothing to do with bad roads or good roads. Maybe if you had said PERFECT roads, but there's no such thing. EDC does NOT equal SOFT.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2008, 09:39 PM   #22
kmarei
Major General
Egypt
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi RS5 coupe

Garage List
2018 Audi RS5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbo73 View Post
i test drove an M3 with the tech package
after the initial wow factor fades
i would probably not use those features (MDM, EDC etc) unless i took it to the track
which i don't
i think the standard suspension is perfect
not too firm, not too soft
and from what i read on the forum
the EDC is not as reliable as the stock setup
disconnected sensors etc
the 2 most common problems i read about are the EDC and the DCT
as for the idrive
other than the advantage of using it in the stereo mode
and unless you want the nav, which after i tried it, sucks compared to my $200 garmin
i didn't see the reason to pay for it

i guess i like to be more focused on the driving than trying to make it into a luxury car, which i don't think it is
if i wanted that kind fo drive, i would have kept my A5

i am not trying to start a flame war
but after testing both cars (loaded, vs no tech or edc)
i prefered the basic setup
to me it felt more connected
which is exactly what i wanted after the A5
Appreciate 0