BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

EXXEL Distributions

06-28-2013, 09:54 AM   #23
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by epbb View Post
Sure. I will do that sometime this weekend. The exhaust was just replaced last week, so it hasn't broken in yet. As it breaks in, the note gets even deeper and throatier.
Agreed, the sound improves with age . The sound also changes with temperature, after a session on the track, it sound awsome .

Looking forward to your vid
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2013, 10:07 AM   #24
crabman
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5M

Some tidbits in no particular order...

Consider picking it up used if you can find a solid example. You should in any event be able to get it to your door for well under advertised MSRP if you buy new. Call around and ask, many outfits will do better but do not advertise that better price.

It does get louder with time, some have said the difference is significant but I did not find it so, it was just so as I could notice.

This is almost certainly the exhaust that will have the best chance of passing the WAF test if this is an issue for you.

The stock exhaust is heavy enough to be awkward when you are doing the job on stands, you don't have to be strong but you may wish to have a friend help if you are not in health.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2013, 10:38 AM   #25
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep
Drives: ///M3-E92-DCT Silverstone II

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBMW6612 View Post
I have a M3 and now I am wondering if it would be worth having the BMW performance exhaust installed. Can anyone give their thoughts on how they like it and compare it to the stock exhaust. Appreciate some feedback.
I hope this will help you.............
///M Performance exhaust vs my Oem. exhaust mod. ( 2 perforated pipe method )
I personal have done this v v v DIY ,pics,sound ,video
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=733817
For me personal it's was not a $$$$ problem but personal sound choise !
So here the comparison video...so put on your headphone and listen xxxxx times

Last edited by ///M Power-Belgium; 06-28-2013 at 11:36 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2013, 10:57 AM   #26
Alex07M3
Banned
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, Evo X MR, A4 Allroad

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarThaL View Post
I disagree. Firstly, you can buy the M Performance for far less than MRSP. Secondly, if you look at similarly constructed products, the MPE is actually very reasonably priced. Eisenmann's Inconel system is $7000 by comparison.

I don't know too many people who installed the MPE and were not happy with the result. On the contrary, there are plenty of people who installed something else and didn't like the result, especially to live with on a daily basis, not just when revving your motor at car meets.

According to some sources, there is a slight hp gain, just nothing worth really advertising.

It is an OEM option that has paperwork ensuring compliance with federal regulations so you can not be hassled by police or inspection stations, if that is a concern.

In my experience, when there is a proper high-end factory option for mods, this usually yields the best result for a street driven vehicle. Building a track beast or a show queen is a different matter.

I just ordered mine from Tisher at the beginning of the week, can't wait to have it!! I always wanted it because first; the sound is just awsome, and second; I always prefer OEM mods, but still I went with Corsa, mainly because of the price, but now I realise that they hold their value really well so I would'nt have lost more by going with it instead of an aftermarket one, I should have done it at the beginning!

The main reason I'm changing my Corsa is because since I putted my test pipes a month ago I already got two tickets for driving a car without the original exhaust system. Here the cops only take a picture of your mufflers and tips and compare it to the original and if it's different, they send you a ticket by mail!!

Last edited by Alex07M3; 06-28-2013 at 12:37 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2013, 11:25 AM   #27
yoelev
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

it's impossible to answer this question i know. but is it ever... obnoxious? i can't stand obnoxious exhausts. as we say here, it's very gui
      06-28-2013, 11:31 AM   #28
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoelev View Post
it's impossible to answer this question i know. but is it ever... obnoxious? i can't stand obnoxious exhausts. as we say here, it's very gui
M Perf wont be obnoxious at all. However, if you are at all concerned about stuff like that its best to leave it stock.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2013, 11:41 AM   #29
RedHawk1980
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6 GC

I've had my MPE on for about 3 months. First track session this past weekend and loved the sound. Loud enough and not obnoxious. Definitely gets better with age.

Good deals can be found on Ebay from BMW dealers around the country.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2013, 11:45 AM   #30
yoelev
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorfast View Post
M Perf wont be obnoxious at all. However, if you are at all concerned about stuff like that its best to leave it stock.
is it louder than the akra slip on?
      06-28-2013, 12:38 PM   #31
Someone?
Perception is King
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Power-Belgium View Post
I hope this will help you.............
///M Performance exhaust vs my Oem. exhaust mod. ( 2 perforated pipe method )
I personal have done this v v v DIY ,pics,sound ,video
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=733817
For me personal it's was not a $$$$ problem but personal sound choise !
So here the comparison video...so put on your headphone and listen xxxxx times
Your exhaust definitely sounds better then the MPE!
      06-28-2013, 01:48 PM   #32
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibmike View Post
Your exhaust definitely sounds better then the MPE!
Thanks ...and yes i know !
But you know exhaust note (sound) actualy i'ts like a song ,i like it,but you don't like it...so very personal !
And before my oem. exhaust mod. i did a test drive,about 50-60 km with a ///M Performance exhaust here in Belgium (///M test drive center Bornen)and actualy i wanted to buy the ///M Performance exhaust,you know the ///M lasered on the 4 tips,Inconel,lichtweight and good looking !
So i made the trip to Bornem (+200km) and did my test drive,and for me personal when i started the car,it sounded way to hollow,like from a empty box, and again this is a personal choise...taste,so no way for me !
So i did the oem. exhaust mod.by myself and thought ... when i don't like it ,i drop it on the junkyard and buy something else , and after 10 hours of work i started the car....and.....this is it ,and when you step on it ..wow..jesus !
The end result is amazing,just perfect, 0.0 drone !
What i want more.....actualy nothing,this is it....just perfect
And oh yeah....the costs....about 15 USD...and this is no joke

Last edited by ///M Power-Belgium; 06-28-2013 at 02:08 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2013, 01:59 PM   #33
spdy330
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 05 Tundra, 15 FIT, 17 CRV

Everyone has different taste but this is my second MPE between two different E90's. I like mine and have zero regrets!
If you will be purchasing ANY AT&T services online or in store could you mention that you were referred by me? My Employee Referral ID is eo4489. This would be a great help and it costs you nothing, thank you!
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2013, 02:04 PM   #34
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdy330 View Post
Everyone has different taste but this is my second MPE between two different E90's. I like mine and have zero regrets!
Agreed,like above in my comment, i said...it's very personal
But what i have done for 15 USD ...is hard(not) to beat
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2013, 02:44 PM   #35
spool twice
Rainbow Racer
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4cs

Garage List
2019 M4cs  [0.00]
I like the tone of the MPE..it appears to play a higher octave than the OEM exhaust, even though its quieter than the OEM exhaust mod.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2013, 03:36 PM   #36
Ezio
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 Alfa Romeo, 2023 m240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarThaL View Post
I disagree. Firstly, you can buy the M Performance for far less than MRSP. Secondly, if you look at similarly constructed products, the MPE is actually very reasonably priced. Eisenmann's Inconel system is $7000 by comparison.

I don't know too many people who installed the MPE and were not happy with the result. On the contrary, there are plenty of people who installed something else and didn't like the result, especially to live with on a daily basis, not just when revving your motor at car meets.

According to some sources, there is a slight hp gain, just nothing worth really advertising.

It is an OEM option that has paperwork ensuring compliance with federal regulations so you can not be hassled by police or inspection stations, if that is a concern.

In my experience, when there is a proper high-end factory option for mods, this usually yields the best result for a street driven vehicle. Building a track beast or a show queen is a different matter.
Like i said its a good system, no great system.

For me its overpriced, because the sound for the price isn't there. it comes down to personal preference. Honestly i think a muffler delete sounds far better, and louder. I like loud and aggressive. Being street legal is the last thing i wanna do. I never ran into problems in the past either when ridiculously loud cars.

Its good for the OP to see different opinions. Looking at it from different views from different people.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2013, 08:53 AM   #37
MTrezzz
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lime Rock Edition

Quote:
First and foremost, you need to decide if you like the sound of the MPE, which it seems you have decided.

Second, as some people have mentioned, the MPE is the ONLY exhaust I have seen that has ZERO drone. All other aftermarket exhaust reviews I have read, all state there is drone at one point or another, regardless of how noticeable it is.

With regards to the cost, that depends on your dealership. I was able to negotiate $3750 for my MPE, installed. You can't get an Akra EVO for that price, and IMO, that's the only other comparable exhaust to the MPE.

Lastly, if you're wanting performance gains, like the EVO, spend another $400, and get the ACM test pipes. Combine that with Mike's Stage II tune, and you will be on cloud 9. Since I've put the TPs on, the car club I ride with constantly raves about how bad ass my exhaust sounds. Here is a link with how my car sounded with a defective baffle:

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=847659

You can hear some rasp occasionally between 3500 and 4000 RPMs (In the Flyby clip, listen at 15 seconds into the clip). This is now gone since I replaced the MPE due to the defective baffle (The baffle issue is very rare, but is something that has been documented).

Good luck with your decision. It's a lot of fun figuring out what to choose! Keep us posted!
How did you know you had defective baffling in the MPE? mine sounds the same with the same set up? 2) when does the MPE break in?
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2013, 09:22 AM   #38
epbb
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTrezzz View Post
How did you know you had defective baffling in the MPE? mine sounds the same with the same set up?
If you have a defective baffle, there is a "rattling" noise that you hear coming from the muffler when you start the car, and you're at idle. It's most obvious when you're in a parking space, because you can easily hear the sound reflecting off of the car next to you.

The rattling also gets pronounced during the tone shift between 3500 and 4000 RPMs with the MPE. You can hear it in the video link I posted previously.

To diagnose at the dealership, we put the car up on the lift, and the service tech basically banged the individual cans of the muffler with his fist. You could hear a toned down version of the rattle (No pun intended) on the side that had the broken baffle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTrezzz View Post
2) when does the MPE break in?
Initial break-in is about 500 miles, and then from there, the tone gets deeper and deeper every 500 - 1000 miles or so as the airspace in between the fiberglass packing inside the muffler gets filled with carbon deposits. It eventually stops of course, but I don't know when. I'm about 4000 miles into the MPE now, and it's been about 1000 miles since I last heard a noticeable sound change.

Last edited by epbb; 09-13-2013 at 09:28 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2013, 10:27 AM   #39
MTrezzz
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lime Rock Edition

Quote:
If you have a defective baffle, there is a "rattling" noise that you hear coming from the muffler when you start the car, and you're at idle. It's most obvious when you're in a parking space, because you can easily hear the sound reflecting off of the car next to you.

The rattling also gets pronounced during the tone shift between 3500 and 4000 RPMs with the MPE. You can hear it in the video link I posted previously.

To diagnose at the dealership, we put the car up on the lift, and the service tech basically banged the individual cans of the muffler with his fist. You could hear a toned down version of the rattle (No pun intended) on the side that had the broken baffle.

Initial break-in is about 500 miles, and then from there, the tone gets deeper and deeper every 500 - 1000 miles or so as the airspace in between the fiberglass packing inside the muffler gets filled with carbon deposits. It eventually stops of course, but I don't know when. I'm about 4000 miles into the MPE now, and it's been about 1000 miles since I last heard a noticeable sound change.
I am at 6,000 miles, sounds the same to me? i don't know what people are talking about sound change? it didn't even get deeper? it's the same loll
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2013, 02:38 PM   #40
Neil McRae
BMW Motorsport
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW ///M4 F82 / BMW ///M5 F10

Garage List
2020 BMW M5 CP  [0.00]
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
ignore the criminals above with their at standstill revving rubbish.

get the MPE and be happy.

Appreciate 0
      09-15-2013, 06:47 PM   #41
Schom
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 m3 e92 6mt

I purchased the mpe 6 months ago. Bought the AA exhaust last week. Mpe not loud enough.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2014, 09:03 PM   #42
RobM3
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 Coupe

I know this thread is a bit old but its one I read when deciding to install the performance exhaust on my car. My car was rear-ended and the exhaust was damaged, so I took the opportunity (and the repair credit from my insurance company) to upgrade to the performance exhaust. Steve Thomas BMW had the system on sale at the time which made the decision easier. Thanks ST BMW for the great deals on my mods!

The system has been on my car for about two weeks. In general, it is a bit louder than the standard OEM exhaust and noticeably so when you get on the throttle. The one down side is that I find it does have a fairly significant drone to it in the mid-3,000 RPM range. I notice it particularly when you give it just a little gas….say when you are on the freeway cruising along. If I upshift and bring the cruising RPM down below 3,000, it goes away.

My sort-term solution is to drive in a higher gear than I ordinarily would to eliminate the drone. Unfortunately, that means I'll need to drop a couple of gears if I want to accelerate rapidly. Not the end of the world because. let's face it….this car is fun to shift…. but something to think about for others who may be considering this exhaust system. Perhaps it will get better as the system breaks in. I will report back if it does.

Now, all that said, if I could go back I may still have installed the exhaust for a reason I never considered when buying it……heat, or lack thereof. I'm not sure if it was the steel used or the back pressure or a combination of both in the OEM exhaust, but you could have baked food in my trunk after a decent drive with the old system. Now, there is no noticeable heat build-up at all. It was an unexpected but very pleasant side benefit of installing the system.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2014, 09:59 PM   #43
m3less
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 AY M4

MPE is a waste of $$$ compared to other options in the price range and less
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2014, 10:03 PM   #44
jrse92m3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: white E92 M3

You have a last year v8 bro , don't do this cheap mod , go for the real thing after all you may find it used like I did and pay 2K for it, stick with BMW parts as much as possible this is not a honda !!!!!
Appreciate 0