BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

Closed Thread

01-17-2012, 05:42 PM   #45
EastBayE90
Formerly (-(ellblazer420
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 E90 335i M/T, 15 F80 M3 DCT

Garage List
Great work Shiv you have been very busy lately. Nice to see the kit is out for the M3 crowd now. You guys will honestly love what the PWM Meth + Procede has to offer.

I know I come from the N54 camp but I was one of the first to have this system running on my car and I cannot begin to explain how well this system operates together. I have had both the PWM Meth and Procede in my car for 10 months now and I have never had a single issue. No codes, no problems with the system, no issues with methanol flow and the fail-safe works very very well (I know from experience a few times). All around an outstanding product. I would highly recommend you try it out or ride in a M3 with this kit. It is quite an eye opening experience.

(410whp 445ft/lbs | DCI + Meth Only)
OpenFlash OTS Stage 1 Flash | Vishnu PWM Meth Kit | Vishnu DCI| Forge DVs
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2012, 08:22 AM   #46
Space Ghost
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

[QUOTE=shiv@vishnu;11168830]Nope. You would mount the nozzles just downstream of the blower outlet (see attached pic)

Ahhh...that makes sense. Thanks!

2008 E92 M3, ESS VT-1, AA Full Exhaust, Volk TE-37, PSS10, ST BBK, ARKYM Motorsport Spliter, Vorsteiner Diffuser, BMW Edition Grill/Gill's, BMW Performance Spoiler, AUTOcoture Blacked Out Headlights, LCI Tail lights, Vorsteiner Carbon Fiber Center Dash Insert, Ultimate Racing Pedals (Because Race Car), AA SSK, Speed Cloth.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2012, 10:28 AM   #47
MSPORTWORLD
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 M3 MW/FR - '12 M3 FO/SC

Garage List
Hey Shiv,

Any special pricing for former 335i N54 Procede guys? If I had known you had plans for the M3 I would have held on to my Procede when I sold my car.

Please PM me if you can hook me up again this time! Quid pro-quo special pricing for more independent dyno charts and a video.

I'll deliver...here's proof:

Appreciate 0
      01-18-2012, 04:21 PM   #48
crazydrummer
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i 08

I just sold my car and still have my rev 2.5 sitting in the garage. It would be AWESOME if I could just buy another harness and hook her up to the new to me e90 M3
      01-18-2012, 06:21 PM   #49
TMR
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydrummer
I just sold my car and still have my rev 2.5 sitting in the garage. It would be AWESOME if I could just buy another harness and hook her up to the new to me e90 M3
I think that for the M3 you will need a rev3. But let shiv answer that.
SOLD E39 M5 Modded, What a great car! www.tmrmzine.com/m5/
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2012, 08:24 PM   #50
MR///M3
e90post veteran
United_States
Rep
Drives: Past: '12 M3, '09 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkyplaynazn View Post
Hey Shiv,

Any special pricing for former 335i N54 Procede guys? If I had known you had plans for the M3 I would have held on to my Procede when I sold my car.

Please PM me if you can hook me up again this time! Quid pro-quo special pricing for more independent dyno charts and a video.

I'll deliver...here's proof:

+1

Any discount for previous N54 customers?
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2012, 08:30 PM   #51
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Lot

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMR View Post
Yes, that is correct. The M3 firmware was designed specifically for the Rev3. It was a HUGE undertaking to make the Rev3 backward compatible with the Rev2 in the N54/N55 market. But it was necessary due how many N54/N55 customers we had that were running Rev2s. This isn't the case with the S65.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2012, 10:56 AM   #52
crazydrummer
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i 08

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMR View Post
Yes, that is correct. The M3 firmware was designed specifically for the Rev3. It was a HUGE undertaking to make the Rev3 backward compatible with the Rev2 in the N54/N55 market. But it was necessary due how many N54/N55 customers we had that were running Rev2s. This isn't the case with the S65.
Whats the time table look like for getting it on the market?
      01-24-2012, 02:27 PM   #53
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydrummer View Post
Whats the time table look like for getting it on the market?
http://www.procedetuning.com/styled/index.html

The e9x M3 section of our website just went live this morning. Still a bunch more content to be added over the next few days. We are now taking orders and will be able to ship the first production run within 1-2 weeks. After we are exhausted of stock, the next shipment will take another ~2 weeks. Please email sales@vishnutuning.com if you have any questions

Cheers,
Shiv
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2012, 04:06 PM   #54
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

This is on my mod list.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2012, 04:20 PM   #55
Dodge2Dub
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 M3; Ducati

Are there any issues related to detonation in an NA engine as can be seen in an FI setup with a tune that is maximized for meth?
      01-24-2012, 05:42 PM   #56
Superfly_M3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

Haven't seen this asked before:

1) How does this play with factory warranty? Providing that someone will "unistall completely" the hardware and the software of the system, will the dealer still be able to see modifications that were done in ECU memory?

2) Do you have any comparitives between a "bone stock" M3 (including a stock exhaust) and one with only the Meth/Procede added to it? From what I've learned, a high-flow exhaust alone would add some (10whp) peak hp to a stock car. By dedcutive reasoning, would the Meth/Procede system only add 10-15whp to a stock car? Or does your graph indicate "stock tune" with exhaust already installed?

I realize that there is more to a graph than peak numbers, I see that you guys have improved the engine's power nicely between 5.5k and 7K. Is there any chance you can show us completely stock M3 vs Meth/Procede.

3) what if you are caught in a snow storm, you run out of Meth/water mixture and you still need to clean your windshield while driving. IF you use windshield washer fluid (or of some idiot at a dealership puts windshield washer fluid into the resevoir). Can you potentially blow up the motor?

Last question. I'm going to approach this from a "worse-case-scenario" perspective. I noticed your system is at 180psi .... thats a lot of pressure. Lets say for some unexplained reason, the meth injection lines rupture and the meth mixture squirts everywhere. Are there any ill-known side effects of meth to belts, hoses, etc?
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2012, 09:42 PM   #57
TRY...M3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Depends on the day

^^^^^^^^ good questions^^^^^^^^^

also do those shift lights work for 6MT?
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2012, 09:47 PM   #58
Longbow64
_______
Rep
Drives: 15 M3, 13 X3 35i MSport

For factory warranty: Yes you can completely remove the system. If you are just running the Procede and don't want to uninstall, you can clear the codes, select Map 0 (valet) and it will have no indications that the Procede is installed. The dealership can even do software updates.

The shift lights do work, but very confusing when meth is spraying. When meth is spraying the hazard lights (interior only) stay on, so when it's time to shift, the hazards flash and then go steady or go back to steady if meth is flowing. Confusing enough?

Last edited by Longbow64; 01-24-2012 at 10:04 PM.. Reason: Content
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2012, 09:51 PM   #59
Singletrack
4th down; 4th quarter? Renegade.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 SSII E92 M3; 19 FG M5C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge2Dub View Post
Are there any issues related to detonation in an NA engine as can be seen in an FI setup with a tune that is maximized for meth?
From the first post:

"This FULLY INTEGRATED methanol system has no peers. It is fully controlled by the PROcede, not NOT an independent controller. Which means the the same computer that controls your engine also controls the Methanol Injection metering. As such, it operates in feed-forward configuration which yields perfectly safe and consistent results. The PROcede Engine Control Computer drives the injection solenoid and measures actual methanol flow. It is only when the internally calculated flow target is reached that the Procede makes the tune more aggressive by advancing timing and adjusting AFR. Which means that any unexpected stoppage of flow results in an immediate corresponding change in engine mapping."

...so if the meth runs out, the map changes. Of course, you could just run the meth with the stock programming also, and you will still gain power by running max stock timing. But, from what Shiv has stated, there is additional timing which can be added in the mid-upper range without detonation. This isn't in the stock map, but is safe to add in per his testing. I'm sure Shiv will correct me if I've misstated anything : )
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2012, 11:11 AM   #60
Dodge2Dub
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 M3; Ducati

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singletrack View Post
From the first post:

"This FULLY INTEGRATED methanol system has no peers. It is fully controlled by the PROcede, not NOT an independent controller. Which means the the same computer that controls your engine also controls the Methanol Injection metering. As such, it operates in feed-forward configuration which yields perfectly safe and consistent results. The PROcede Engine Control Computer drives the injection solenoid and measures actual methanol flow. It is only when the internally calculated flow target is reached that the Procede makes the tune more aggressive by advancing timing and adjusting AFR. Which means that any unexpected stoppage of flow results in an immediate corresponding change in engine mapping."

...so if the meth runs out, the map changes. Of course, you could just run the meth with the stock programming also, and you will still gain power by running max stock timing. But, from what Shiv has stated, there is additional timing which can be added in the mid-upper range without detonation. This isn't in the stock map, but is safe to add in per his testing. I'm sure Shiv will correct me if I've misstated anything : )
Ah, the second paragraph answers the question. Is there any issue on an NA engine if a s/w glitch occurs allowing the meth enhanced timing to continue while the meth stops flowing?
      01-25-2012, 12:43 PM   #61
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge2Dub View Post
Ah, the second paragraph answers the question. Is there any issue on an NA engine if a s/w glitch occurs allowing the meth enhanced timing to continue while the meth stops flowing?
There is really no chance for a software glitch to allow for aggressive mapping without the presence of methanol flow. Even the flow meter itself is pared down to the basics. Unlike the off-the-shelf Aquamist flow meter (which itself has been proven to be dead nuts reliable over the years), our custom provides a raw 0-5v square wave signal provided from a hall sensor reading the turbine blades. Virtually no additional electronics to add complication. Remember that this methanol control system was first designed on the N54 twin turbo engine where it would be used to bump boost and timing to levels that are completely unsupportable on race gas.

In the case of the s65 kit, the mapping we use when methanol is flowing is about as aggressive as what we've seen with off-the-shelf flashes. The difference being that the mapping is supportable (and results in power) when the Procede calls upon it (in presence of methanol flow). Whereas the aggressive mapping I've seen in the flashes only comes into play when running on race gas. All other times, the knock sensor is working overtime to keep the engine from pinging.

Shiv
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2012, 12:54 PM   #62
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superfly_M3 View Post
Haven't seen this asked before:

1) How does this play with factory warranty? Providing that someone will "unistall completely" the hardware and the software of the system, will the dealer still be able to see modifications that were done in ECU memory?
There is no impact on factory warranty because the system leaves absolutely no trace in the DME memory. Unlike DME flashes, the code isn't changed one bit. And the Procede itself provides the tuning offsets, shielding the DME completely from monitoring any un-stocklike operating condition. There is literally no track of tuning. Even if you were to datalog (from the DME) while the system is operational. The only thing you would notice is a remarkable lack of knock retard.

Quote:
2) Do you have any comparitives between a "bone stock" M3 (including a stock exhaust) and one with only the Meth/Procede added to it? From what I've learned, a high-flow exhaust alone would add some (10whp) peak hp to a stock car. By dedcutive reasoning, would the Meth/Procede system only add 10-15whp to a stock car? Or does your graph indicate "stock tune" with exhaust already installed?

I realize that there is more to a graph than peak numbers, I see that you guys have improved the engine's power nicely between 5.5k and 7K. Is there any chance you can show us completely stock M3 vs Meth/Procede.
All our tests had, at the very least, an aftermarket exhaust. So I don't have any dyno results on bone stock cars. I'm sure I'll collect them over time though. And will update the website accordingly.

Quote:
3) what if you are caught in a snow storm, you run out of Meth/water mixture and you still need to clean your windshield while driving. IF you use windshield washer fluid (or of some idiot at a dealership puts windshield washer fluid into the resevoir). Can you potentially blow up the motor?
No, using WW fluid will not damage the engine. While the detergents and glycol aren't suitable for engine performance, it won't cause a problem. But if you happen to have filled your WW tank with it, all you need to do is disable Meth injection by switching over to Map 0 (stock tune) or Map 1 (Procede tune but with no meth).

Quote:
Last question. I'm going to approach this from a "worse-case-scenario" perspective. I noticed your system is at 180psi .... thats a lot of pressure. Lets say for some unexplained reason, the meth injection lines rupture and the meth mixture squirts everywhere. Are there any ill-known side effects of meth to belts, hoses, etc?
The meth pump only arms when the engine is under load. We also have implemented overflow safety that disables the entire system in case measured flow exceeds the target flow (in the case of a leak, for instance). So there is virtually no chance of an uncontrolled meth leak. The hardware we use also employs compression fittings, not the standard push-in fittings that are used by other meth kit manufacturers (cooling mist, DO, snow perf, etc,.) They are completely leak-proof if used correctly. And they are very easy to use.

Pls let me know if you have any more questions...

Cheers,
Shiv
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2012, 04:18 PM   #63
OM VT3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 zcp m3

someone with an ess kit try one!
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2012, 06:56 PM   #64
stega
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 E93

Quote:
Originally Posted by leigh View Post
someone with an ess kit try one!
It's being done dun you worry...
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2012, 07:00 PM   #65
OM VT3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 zcp m3

good so i can see if its any good or not!!!
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2012, 02:35 AM   #66
BPMSport
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: Harrop M3 / F10 M5 / F82 M4

Garage List
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
1990 BMW 735i Turbo  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [7.50]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M5  [0.00]
This is very cool! Looks like you put a ton of work into it. Nice work.

-----| Like us on Facebook | Instagram || Tuning Information | Remote Coding |-----
----Visit us at www.BPMSport.com - Emotion. Driven. | Toll Free: (888) 557-5133----
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread