BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Cosmetic/Visual (Exterior + Interior) Modifications

European Auto Source (EAS)

09-28-2010, 12:42 PM   #1
IbanezGod
997TT, X5M
Rep
Drives: 997TT, X5M

M3 Car Cover?

So i've searched and each time the server fails on me. I'm looking for an all weather M3 car cover. Unfortunately I do not have a garage and would like to protect it during the winter.

Anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks!

found this... but dunno if it's any good.
http://www.amazon.com/BMW-Outdoor-Br.../dp/B00337659M
      09-28-2010, 10:08 PM   #2
askjeeves
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 m3/spece30

I am using that cover (e92 version) on my car. Seems decent enough in quality, though I thought the fit could be a bit better. The oem cover I have for my 350z fits perfectly snug, while the bmw cover is a little tight in some areas, and loose in others. Tisher sells the cover for $200 + free shipping iirc.
      10-01-2010, 09:01 PM   #3
calintexas
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

Look at the Covercraft site (http://www.covercraft.com/). Their stuff is first rate and available in many materials to meet your needs. They sell through independent retailers (that you can access from their site). I've used Big Sky Car Covers several times. The covers are UPS direct shipped to you from the Covercraft factory in Oklahoma.
      10-03-2010, 02:32 PM   #4
mdrobc13
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Made in Bavaria

Garage List
2021 BMW X3e  [0.00]
2016 BMW M4  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by calintexas View Post
Look at the Covercraft site (http://www.covercraft.com/). Their stuff is first rate and available in many materials to meet your needs. They sell through independent retailers (that you can access from their site). I've used Big Sky Car Covers several times. The covers are UPS direct shipped to you from the Covercraft factory in Oklahoma.
Concur i had a a covercraft cover custom ordered for my M3 and cost me about $250-275 I think in color and material of my choice. Fits great, used it during my 5+ month deployment overseas where the car was kept outside and it did great. No damage to the paint and using a car cover cable lock it stayed in place perfectly. Highly recommend it.
'10 BMW X5M (Black/Black) - gone not forgotten
'08 BMW M3 (Space Gray/Black) - gone not forgotten
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2010, 06:22 PM   #5
CarbonAlpine
Captain
Rep
Drives: ///M4

When I went to buy the cover, bmw told me that car covers are meant to store cars in garage. That storing outdoors would damage car...is this factual?
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2010, 06:26 PM   #6
johnnyace
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarbonAlpine View Post
When I went to buy the cover, bmw told me that car covers are meant to store cars in garage. That storing outdoors would damage car...is this factual?
No, provided you use a quality outdoor cover.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2010, 06:40 PM   #7
calintexas
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
It's likely that is the case with the covers that BMW sells.

I've attached the Covercraft Application Guide. Page 3 has information on the various outdoor materials that they offer. Post #3 in this thread has a link to the Covercraft website.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Covercraft Aplication Guide .pdf (879.6 KB, 2743 views)
      10-06-2010, 06:43 PM   #8
CarbonAlpine
Captain
Rep

Thanks guys, how about when it rain...humidity?
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2010, 06:51 PM   #9
CarbonAlpine
Captain
Rep

The WeatherShield HD is the one that I see that best protects outdoors...$375
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2010, 07:02 PM   #10
CarbonAlpine
Captain
Rep

Is the ultratect any good? I have a daily driver and I will be keeping m3 outside on driveway all day with sun exposure 100%. Please help me with this guys, so i can order it already.

many thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2010, 10:26 PM   #11
askjeeves
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 m3/spece30

Quote:
BMW sells two different covers, one for indoor use, the other for outdoor use. both can be found on tisher's site.
      10-07-2010, 12:55 PM   #12
raiste
Time is the fire in which we burn.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 SSII M3

I just got the Evolution Block-It, mainly for the ding (lots of oak and hickory trees) and weather protection.

Just started using it yesterday, so no experience to report right now except that it is very well built, and it fits like a glove.

Appreciate 0
      10-07-2010, 01:21 PM   #13
kiln
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3

When I purchase my E90 this will be the first thing to get.. Damn cats
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2010, 03:03 PM   #14
calintexas
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The WeatherShield HD is the one that I see that best protects outdoors...$375
Quote:
Is the ultratect any good? I have a daily driver and I will be keeping m3 outside on driveway all day with sun exposure 100%. Please help me with this guys, so i can order it already.

many thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by raiste View Post
I just got the Evolution Block-It, mainly for the ding (lots of oak and hickory trees) and weather protection.

Just started using it yesterday, so no experience to report right now except that it is very well built, and it fits like a glove.

A quality cover in a durable fabric is expensive. The thing I recommend is to look at both what the application information says and the length of the warranty to determine if the cover will meet your needs. My primary experience is with the Evolution IV fabric with the 4 year warranty. I've had several of those (used primarily for covering my car at work (North Texas). With daily use in Texas the Evolution IV fabric lasts about 2 years (holes start appearing in the outer surface and the cover starts shedding fine particles (almost like dust)). Covercraft will replace the failed cover (no problem); so, you get 4 years of use or more depending on when your original cover fails. The Evolution fabric is bulky, but it's soft and provides some cushioning protection from outside bumps. It also rides better in the wind than the lighter fabrics. The quality exterior fabric covers are designed to get wet and to dry out. They breathe (allow moisture to pass through) so that your paint isn't damaged. Pulling a wet cover off a car can be a real pain as the covers (particularly the Evolution) can hold a lot of water (which will drain wherever you put the wet cover. I've dried wet covers in a few hours by putting them back on a clean dry car and alternately by spreading them out on my living room floor.
A few tips:
* Only use a cover on a clean car.
* Tie the cover down as best you can. You want to minimize wind billowing. It's often pretty windy in Texas. When I worked, I'd look at the weather forecast in the morning and park my car to line it up with the expected wind direction that day.
* Develop a routine for installing and removing your cover. My method is to insert the driver's side mirror pocket then the passenger side mirror pocket. I then roll the rear potion of the cover over the back of the car and finally roll the front portion over the front of the car. Removal is just the reverse. This method allows me to do it by myself in a good breeze.

With a little experience it only takes a few minutes to install or remove a cover. The upside is that your car stays cleaner, requires less wax/sealant applications, and stays looking new both inside and out for a long time due to dramatically less sun related damage.

I bought a WeatherShieldŽ HP cover for my current M3 as my needs have changed now that I'm retired to using the cover primarily in the garage to keep dust off the car, but I still wanted something that could be used outside if needed. WeatherShieldŽ HP is a thin lightweight fabric making the cover much more compact than the Evolution fabric when off the car.
      10-07-2010, 03:37 PM   #15
SM_M3
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Jet Black 2008 M3 Sedan

Garage List
I bought the BMW outdoor car cover for my M3 Sedan. It accomplished it's primary purpose which was getting me through a sublet situation I was in with too many cats... It probably saved it's cost in handwashes. They're a pain to clean and need to be run through a wash cycle with Fantastic, then a rinse cycle in a giant commercial washer and hand dried. If not, they'll leave soap film on your car which is kind of a pain. Only put on car when it's reasonably clean which can also be a bit of a pain when it starts raining... I live in SoCal and was glad I used one. I'd only use one if I had too due to animals, birds or trees...
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2014, 01:39 AM   #16
karenhenry04
Registered
Rep
Drives: Ford

Yes, you can go for car cover which are best in material.

For M3 I think you may visit this link.
http://www.amazon.com/b?node=390620011

11-12-2014, 07:13 AM   #17
JDM3
Major
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3 E92

Google California Car Covers.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2014, 11:32 PM   #18
PandaM3
Captain
Rep
Drives:

Fyi... The bmw outdoor cover is the same as the Noah cover from covercraft and california car cover. There is even a tag on it that says Noah.

That being said... The BMW cover has worked great for the M3. I keep it covered at work to keep droppings/ dirt/ leaves off the car and I keep it covered in the garage to protect the car incase of any accidents.

In fact during our last earthquake a bunch of boxes fell on the car and the cover protected the car.

I also have a weathershield HP on my FJ cruiser that stays parked outside. So far it's worked great as well.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2014, 11:47 PM   #19
m3ray
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '09 e92 M3

http://www.covercraft.com/carcovers/...ar_covers.html

Custom fit, I am using the Weathershield HP. Softest material, wont scratch paint but still excellent rain protection. Its a light cover so I ordered it with the grommets front/back and on the sides. This way I can lock it down. Especially importantly when using outdoor.

Here is a good comparison tool.

http://www.covercraft.com/carcovers/...r_fabrics.html

I have used covercrafts on three BMW's so far. They will run you about $250-300 and are excellent quality.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2020, 10:02 PM   #20
NeverL8
Captain
Rep
Drives: Slow

Bumping this old thread. Anyone have long term experience with outdoor covers? Effects on paint?

Thank you.
Appreciate 0