BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

BPM

03-24-2009, 06:25 PM   #1
FlyFish
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Enhanced Premium Sound Package

Good afternoon!

Looking at a copy of the sticker of my new 2008 M3 Sedan; it talks about a $1900 Enhanced Premium Sound Package....anyone know the specifics on that?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2009, 06:30 PM   #2
maaicher
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW M3

Its a 800+ watt upgraded sound system for the m3. Its a good over all qality sound, not qorth the money in my opinion. It lacks the hard bass hit for rap or electronic or whatever you are into. It does bump, for not having large subs, it just lacks that bass you in your body from a hard hitting sub. its more of a "quality bump"..good for rock and classical i guess. If you listen to metal, rap, or techno etc. you are prolly gonna wanna upgrade. But the over sound is good i guess like i said. Never gets distorted or anything ,just good quality sound. Just depends on what you are into
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2009, 06:32 PM   #3
FlyFish
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by maaicher View Post
Its a 800+ watt upgraded sound system for the m3. Its a good over all qality sound, not qorth the money in my opinion. It lacks the hard bass hit for rap or electronic or whatever you are into. It does bump, for not having large subs, it just lacks that bass you in your body from a hard hitting sub. its more of a "quality bump"..good for rock and classical i guess. If you listen to metal, rap, or techno etc. you are prolly gonna wanna upgrade. But the over sound is good i guess like i said. Never gets distorted or anything ,just good quality sound. Just depends on what you are into
I do like the techno--does BMW have a solution upgrade for extra bass?
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2009, 06:33 PM   #4
dogears
My master volume goes to 11
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M5 Competition

I listen to jazz and fusion. The Enhanced Sound is well worth it for me. It is far better than the stereos in my prior rides. Nakamichi Lexus, Bose Infiniti M45, and Mercedes C32 AMG.

I am an audio engineer by training and the sound is well balanced. Maybe not the best if you want the unnatural thump for rap or similar music. It can still hit hard though. And for a stock stereo it is as good as I have heard.

But, lightyears better than the worthless base sound.

If you do not want to upgrade the base, the Enhanced is perfect.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2009, 06:39 PM   #5
jml
Major
Rep
Drives: X5M, GT3RS, GT4

Go to the dealer and listen to one. Load up your music, in MP3 format, on a USB flash drive.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2009, 06:41 PM   #6
Big Windy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: None

Hey Flyfish, there are a lot of opinions on premium audio throughout the forum. You should check out this outstanding thread: http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=137825
There is a load of information about how to tune the system and what it is capable of.

If you are looking for other discussions, go to google and type this in the search bar: "site:m3post.com enhanced premium sound" (don't type the quotes).

Enjoy your system!
      03-24-2009, 08:07 PM   #7
maaicher
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Windy View Post
Hey Flyfish, there are a lot of opinions on premium audio throughout the forum. You should check out this outstanding thread: http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=137825
There is a load of information about how to tune the system and what it is capable of.

If you are looking for other discussions, go to google and type this in the search bar: "site:m3post.com enhanced premium sound" (don't type the quotes).

Enjoy your system!
...its a really good thread
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2009, 09:08 PM   #8
dogears
Rep

I wonder if BMW tweaked the DIRAC in 2009. I love my stereo. It is nowhere near as lacking as some of the posters descibe in that thread. I have a 2009 Sedan. Maybe there are significant differences between coupe, sedan, and convertable. And also model year.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2009, 09:41 PM   #9
FlyFish
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:

Enjoy your system!
Awesome; thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2009, 11:53 AM   #10
808MGuy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogears View Post
I wonder if BMW tweaked the DIRAC in 2009. I love my stereo. It is nowhere near as lacking as some of the posters descibe in that thread. I have a 2009 Sedan. Maybe there are significant differences between coupe, sedan, and convertable. And also model year.
Probably not. Its just a difference in ears and preferences of the listener. What's good for some people isn't good enough for others.
      03-25-2009, 01:52 PM   #11
dogears
Rep

Or maybe what is good for some people is not good for others who like unnaturally heavy bass. Many people like to listen to greatly exagerrated bottom end. I am an audio engineer by training, as well as professional musician for 20 years and I don't think the malignment I read here is in line with the reality.

I do believe there are significant differences between the cars btw. The speakers and locations are different between the E90,92, and 93. As such, there may be subtle DIRAC differences. Or maybe 09 was tweaked.

I maintain for a stock production system it is very nice. It kills the systems I have heard in both Lexus and Infiniti. I have had the Nakamichi Lexus and an M45 with the Bose. My dad has a Mark Levinson in his Lexus. M3 decimates it.

I don't listen to any rap, techno, or heavy metal at all...... Only jazz and jazz fusion. I do have a lot of heavy grooving material with 6 string bass and nicely miced drums. So, I do need tight crisp bass. The bass could be a smidge fuller, but it is very good for stock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808MGuy View Post
Probably not. Its just a difference in ears and preferences of the listener. What's good for some people isn't good enough for others.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2009, 02:15 PM   #12
Big Windy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: None

Quote:
the systems are the same in all three platforms. the only difference is the environment/atmosphere.
      03-25-2009, 02:32 PM   #13
dogears
Rep

Speaker count and placement are different between the three I believe..... Also not sure if the DIRAC has not been tweaked for 2009....

Quote:
the systems are the same in all three platforms. the only difference is the environment/atmosphere.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2009, 01:19 PM   #14
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
Speaker count and placement are different between the three I believe..... Also not sure if the DIRAC has not been tweaked for 2009....
I don't see a P/N difference between the Premium OEM amp of 2008 (post-03/08 production) with the one in the 2009... that's where the DIRAC processing is performed.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2009, 01:22 PM   #15
Surge50
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M3

I think if you are really into sound, send the money on an aftermarket one. You'll end up spending more than the package but the sound will be superb if you put it together right.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2009, 11:48 PM   #16
wuxi28
Registered
Rep
Drives: 1

Smile good

http://www.travelwestchina.com tibet travel tibet tour tibet tourstibet permit
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2009, 10:39 PM   #17
camaross305
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

I love the Premium sound
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2009, 02:18 PM   #18
TRZ06
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16' M3

Quote:
Or maybe what is good for some people is not good for others who like unnaturally heavy bass. Many people like to listen to greatly exagerrated bottom end. I am an audio engineer by training, as well as professional musician for 20 years and I don't think the malignment I read here is in line with the reality.

I do believe there are significant differences between the cars btw. The speakers and locations are different between the E90,92, and 93. As such, there may be subtle DIRAC differences. Or maybe 09 was tweaked.

I maintain for a stock production system it is very nice. It kills the systems I have heard in both Lexus and Infiniti. I have had the Nakamichi Lexus and an M45 with the Bose. My dad has a Mark Levinson in his Lexus. M3 decimates it.

I don't listen to any rap, techno, or heavy metal at all...... Only jazz and jazz fusion. I do have a lot of heavy grooving material with 6 string bass and nicely miced drums. So, I do need tight crisp bass. The bass could be a smidge fuller, but it is very good for stock.
While I don't doubt your music history, I do not agree with you on this system being better than the Mark Levinson on the Lexus. I had a GX470 with the Levinson system, and it sounded more accurate, and more mature than the enhanced system in my M3.

I do know high quality music as well, I have B&W 800 series as my home theater system pared with an Anthem AVM50 Preamp.

I don't dissagree that the M3 system isn't good, I just don't think it compares to the Levinson system in the Lexus
13' Audi TTRS (APR stage 1, MSS springs)
09' C6 Z06
08' M3 Interlagos Blue: 6sp, Tech.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2009, 03:50 PM   #19
dogears
Rep

Never heard the Levinson in your vehicle. I have extensive history with my dads LS430. It is three years old. My M3 stereo is nicer, for me. Although his Levinson is no slouch. I think I may have preferred the Nakamichi Lexus unit in my GS400......

Nice stereo gear btw. I mix on a nice set of Adam powered monitors in my basement studio. I have a set of PSB Stratus Golds that I bought off a buddy in my den.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRZ06 View Post
While I don't doubt your music history, I do not agree with you on this system being better than the Mark Levinson on the Lexus. I had a GX470 with the Levinson system, and it sounded more accurate, and more mature than the enhanced system in my M3.

I do know high quality music as well, I have B&W 800 series as my home theater system pared with an Anthem AVM50 Preamp.

I don't dissagree that the M3 system isn't good, I just don't think it compares to the Levinson system in the Lexus
      05-21-2009, 10:39 AM   #20
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

Hey guys, I noticed the manual has a 'Logic7' system, which has 3 surround settings we don't have (we only have surround or stereo), so it's obvoiusly NOT the enhanced audio we paid for. Why is in the manual? Seems like some other market has an even better stereo, no?

Finally, does anybody know if the EQ is in addition to the bass/treble? I adjusted the bass/treble first, and the EQ seems to do nothing.

I used to own many Lexus vehicles, and the Mark Levinson systems vary greatly among different models. The best was on my LS430, and I'd probably rate it a bit better than the M3. However, the M3 is better than the one on my ex-SC430, GS430, and the Nakamichi on the SC400. The M3 lacks subwoofer punch, but it's enough for me, so no biggie. Thanks

Last edited by JCtx; 05-21-2009 at 10:58 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2009, 10:46 AM   #21
09E92M34ME
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by elp_jc View Post
Hey guys, I noticed the manual has a 'Logic7' system, which has 3 surround settings we don't have (we only have surround or stereo), so it's obvoiusly NOT the enhanced audio we paid for. Why is in the manual? Seems like some other market has an even better stereo, no?

Finally, does anybody know if the EQ is in addition to the bass/treble? I adjusted the bass/treble first, and the EQ seems to do nothing.

I used to own many Lexus vehicles, and the Mark Levinson systems vary greatly among different models. The best was on my LS430, and I'd probably rate it a bit better than the M3. However, the M3 is better than the one on my ex-SC430, GS430, and the Nakamichi on the SC400. The M3 lacks a big subwoofer (they're in the doors, right?), that's why it's lacking in base, but it's enough for me. Thanks
The subs are under the front seats if you enhanced premium sound
09 E92 M3,AW/FR. MODS:Performane Kidney Grills,Side Gills,Exhaust Tips,BMW Performance Pedals,359 Satin Black GTS Wheels,275/35/19R & 255/35/19F PSS's,Dinan Stage I Suspension,Macht Schnell Spacers 12mmF,5mmR,Rear Fogs,Euphoria 6k,LCI Tails,LUX v3,OEM IND Painted Alpine White CF Performance Spoiler, Front Splitters, and Front Reflectors,Gloss Black Hood Vents,M Performance Steering Wheel.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2009, 10:55 PM   #22
M3Ron
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW M3 Sedan-DCT

This is a great question. For reference, I just came out of a Lexus GS450 hybrid with the Mark Levinson. I think the BMW Premium is comparable but, and this is a big but, the Lexus is a significantly quieter car with far less road/tire noise so the end result is that no car can come close to the Lexus sound when the car is moving. It is just amazing. The BMW is not far behind but it does compete with greater background noise.

Of course, you cannot compare the driving dynamics between the cars. Whatever 'sacrifices' you make with the BMW sound system are 10 times over worth it in the fun factor.