BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

Mporium BMW

11-15-2012, 08:04 AM   #23
injustice
Private
Rep
Drives: 18 F15 Space Grey

Welcome do Dallas, and pretty much any large Texas city(minus Austin). Houston drivers are even MORE aggressive. Just move over and let them pass, you shouldn't be in that lane anyways unless you yourself are passing.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2012, 09:42 AM   #24
sycd
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: G87 M2 [MT]

Garage List
2023 BMW M2 [MT]  [0.00]
2020 BMW X3M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by karussell View Post
tailgating is not localized to US i found though. germans love doing it too. my particular pet peeve is passing slower traffic on unlimited sections of autobahn and then when i do get to a reduced speed zone i always get at least one car on my bumper. i move over to let him go by and then when the speed limit is removed i end up having to wait to pass him again. maybe i'm a bit biased, but its 90% a driver in a black audi wagon too.
They're tail gating you because you're not supposed to be in that left lane unless you are passing.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2012, 09:43 AM   #25
sycd
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: G87 M2 [MT]

Garage List
2023 BMW M2 [MT]  [0.00]
2020 BMW X3M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sameh View Post
We all got it wrong, apparently what makes a car go fast isn't horsepower or torque, it ain't light weight either. From driving on the hwy here in Dallas area, I realized that drivers who drive:
Nissan Altima
Mazda 3
Any red coupe car
Most yellow cars
A car that has more than one exhaust pipe
All believe that their car is soo freaken fast they tailgait me when I'm driving 80MPH!
I try my best to control myself but I have to say, if they are behind me in one of those C shapped hwy exits, I take it so fast for 2 reasons, cause I really enjoy that and to just shake them back into reality when I put like half a mile between me and them.
They are probably thinking (rightfully so) "who is this douchebag BMW driver who thinks he owns the road, move over!"
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2012, 10:26 AM   #26
4corners
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Jet Black M3 Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
We all got it wrong, apparently what makes a car go fast isn't horsepower or torque, it ain't light weight either. From driving on the hwy here in Dallas area, I realized that drivers who drive:
Nissan Altima
Mazda 3
Any red coupe car
Most yellow cars
All believe that their car is soo freaken fast they tailgait me when I'm driving 80MPH!
I try my best to control myself but I have to say, if they are behind me in one of those C shapped hwy exits, I take it so fast for 2 reasons, cause I really enjoy that and to just shake them back into reality when I put like half a mile between me and them.
Check your speedometer for accuracy. You are probably only doing 77 or so when it says 80.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2012, 10:57 AM   #27
dreamspeed
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT

Usually the speed racers that tailgate me in the fast lane are dudes driving FULL sized pickups or SUVs. I just move out of the way so their boat doesn't roll Over my car when they inevitably flip over
      11-15-2012, 11:13 AM   #28
carlfan
Private
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3

I would assume that if you're driving on the highway and people are tailgating you it's because you were blocking the fast lane? If so, move over. What you're doing is against the law, and what they're doing is also against the law.

I really hate though when I'm driving at the posted speed limit of 25mph in a 1 lane residential area and I get cars behind me that are right on my bumper. Even then, sometimes I'll just stop and let them go by.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2012, 01:55 PM   #29
karussell
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 4 wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by sycd View Post
They're tail gating you because you're not supposed to be in that left lane unless you are passing.
and i am passing slower traffic in that situation. been driving in germany for 8 years.
      11-15-2012, 05:52 PM   #30
sameh
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Porsche 911S

Guys, you missed the whole thing. I don't block traffic, I let them go but they would do that even if I'm in the middle lane with an empty left lane. Also those impatient who tail gait when there is nothing you can do, there is a line of cars in front and on the sides. I donno what do they want me to do?!! I actually would move a little left or right to show them what's in front of me just in case they can't see through my tinted rear windows. Some drivers are just trouble makers and Nissan Altima drivers started to be on the top of the list.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2012, 10:23 PM   #31
Xcelrrate
Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 ///M3

Garage List
2008 BMW E90 M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Nissan Altima
Mazda 3
Any red coupe car
Most yellow cars
I love doing this ALL the time! So much even if no one is behind me lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reznick View Post
My sister-in-law( she's in her 40's) ,who really isn't into cars, just randomly bought a new retina burning yellow Ford Focus ST. When she asked me what I thought , I just said" cool little car,,,but get ready for EVERY kid to want to race you with that color"

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorfast View Post
While no one likes to be tailgated, just move over and let faster traffic pass.
OR, just turn on your Rear Fog light! Works every time for me

Here's a DIY if you don't know about this...
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=531296

Quote:
Originally Posted by weaksauce View Post
What is the color to weight ratio of her car?

'08 Jerez Black E90 ///M3
Pics of my Ride
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2012, 12:38 AM   #32
Kaylin032
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E93 M3 and 335d

Garage List
I always get harassed by Cooper Minis, as if they need to prove to me that it's not a clown car from the circus. I actually wondered if the speedometers on those things have a manufacturer defect.

K
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2012, 03:58 AM   #33
Schwaben
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 35i

Quote:
i hate tailgaters. i think i'm one too unfortunately but i try to remind myself i'm not on a racetrack all the time. i get mixed results.

tailgating is not localized to US i found though. germans love doing it too. my particular pet peeve is passing slower traffic on unlimited sections of autobahn and then when i do get to a reduced speed zone i always get at least one car on my bumper. i move over to let him go by and then when the speed limit is removed i end up having to wait to pass him again. maybe i'm a bit biased, but its 90% a driver in a black audi wagon too.

Luis, what you doing Thanksgiving weekend? want to go to the ring? GP track is open! forecast is sunny and 6C
+100000000000000000 I HATE black audi wagon drivers. I truly wonder what is is about that car that makes them do it. A4, A6 doesn't matter. Maybe it is not the car but something about it that attracts that kind of driver.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2012, 06:31 AM   #34
Bayern1
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 550i

If I go 15 mph over the speed limit in the left lane and people want to pass then THEY should move over if they still want to pass. BTW, Nissan drivers seem to have an anger management problem. Tailgating, changing lanes without signaling etc.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2012, 07:22 AM   #35
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by apache335 View Post
If I go 15 mph over the speed limit in the left lane and people want to pass then THEY should move over if they still want to pass.
I COMPLETELY disagree with that mindset. Why does it matter how fast you are going? If faster traffic wants to pass then MOVE OVER and let them pass!

Your personal opinion of how fast is too fast is not the law of the land. Will you also speed up to block the car as they try to pass?
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2012, 10:54 AM   #36
injustice
Private
Rep
Drives: 18 F15 Space Grey

Quote:
If I go 15 mph over the speed limit in the left lane and people want to pass then THEY should move over if they still want to pass. BTW, Nissan drivers seem to have an anger management problem. Tailgating, changing lanes without signaling etc.
Ya, that's the dumbest thing I've read today.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2012, 01:07 PM   #37
Erie Von Otto
DT///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F31 Touring

Garage List
Quote:
maybe i'm a bit biased, but its 90% a driver in a black audi wagon too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuttgartM3 View Post
+100000000000000000 I HATE black audi wagon drivers. I truly wonder what is is about that car that makes them do it. A4, A6 doesn't matter. Maybe it is not the car but something about it that attracts that kind of driver.
VAG Products in general here in Germany. I get the Passat wagon drivers. Seriously, must be a Bavarian thing. I dont know why, but they guys and gals in the Passats always want to start crap. My older brother has an Audi Avant RS4 and yes, its black and yes, he is an asshat 100%. Yet he drives well...

Quote:
If I go 15 mph over the speed limit in the left lane and people want to pass then THEY should move over if they still want to pass.
But this is just asshattedness. Move over yo.
      11-16-2012, 02:20 PM   #38
karussell
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

another typical situation on the autobahn. can't stand this one.

in left lane passing slower traffic in right lane
catch up to other cars also passing slowers cars in right lane
cue backs up because there is a truck passing another truck
tailgater behind me decides he doesn't need to wait his turn and goes to right lane.
passes 4 cars in front of me and merges where there is a gap large enough.
once queue opens up and i can pass all cars i enter super cruise. 250kph.
see asshat that passed on right. fly by.
exactly 10 minutes later entire cycle repeats.

and yes thats 100% an Audi A3, A4, or A6 wagon. usually black or silver.
      11-16-2012, 02:26 PM   #39
LemonOne
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///Most Powerful Letter

Quote:
I hate when people drive like you
Left lane = always passing lane = safer highway traffic pattern
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2012, 02:45 PM   #40
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Are you sure? It sounds flawed to me.

Tell me, on these occassions when you happen to be driving at 15MPH over the limit in the left lane, what do you expect when you come upon someone traveling at 14 MPH over the limit in front of you? Do you expect them to yield to you and move over (assuming it is clear)? If so, why? Why is your 15 MPH better than their 14 MPH?

We are talking about expectations, remember, not merely what you might choose to tolerate.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2012, 03:19 PM   #41
Eau Rouge
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
2012 BMW E92 M3  [9.00]
Quote:
Yours is the same -- I was here first damn it! -- failed logic of those that see a max speed limit, set cruise control to match the legal speed then take up residency in the left lane and remain disinterested in anyone behind them.

If one isn't passing cars to your right, why stay in Lane 1? If one is passing cars, expediting the process to then get over should be priority one. If everyone did as much, life would be better for all concerned.

As for the OP's list of vehicles, the usual fare of wanna-race cars are stangs, chargers. Too bad custom plates will not accommodate "st_racing_is_4_morons".

Last edited by Eau Rouge; 11-17-2012 at 05:29 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2012, 02:47 AM   #42
carlfan
Private
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3

Just curious.

So what do you guys usually do when you encounter a driver like apache335 that thinks it's ok to remain on the left lane because he is doing > 15MPH over the limit?

Do you flash your lights?
Pass him on the right (which is illegal)?
Do you tailgate him (which is illegal)?
Do you just stay behind him?

If you decide to pass him somehow, do you give him a dirty look? Or do you just ignore him.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2012, 03:04 AM   #43
Mike van D
Major
Germany
Rep
Drives: SG X6 35i; MW e92 M3

Quote:
another typical situation on the autobahn. can't stand this one.

in left lane passing slower traffic in right lane
catch up to other cars also passing slowers cars in right lane
cue backs up because there is a truck passing another truck
tailgater behind me decides he doesn't need to wait his turn and goes to right lane.
passes 4 cars in front of me and merges where there is a gap large enough.
once queue opens up and i can pass all cars i enter super cruise. 250kph.
see asshat that passed on right. fly by.
exactly 10 minutes later entire cycle repeats.

and yes thats 100% an Audi A3, A4, or A6 wagon. usually black or silver.
+1. Seems to be the norm. And can't count the times that the trucks just pull out in an unrestricted to pass another truck while I'm rolling up. Thank god for ABS.
      11-17-2012, 05:17 AM   #44
karussell
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
No No No No No!
Nein Nein Nein Nein!

This is what causes accidents! You are not entitled to regulate traffic.
I don't care what speed you go. There is someone or something going faster. Let them by when its safe to do so. Then continue on your chosen speed.