BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

Mporium BMW

08-05-2009, 10:01 AM   #45
Couch
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Six View Post
I've worked in academia for more than a decade and I know of no institution that promises employment, especially after only 3 months. The fact that she's representing herself goes to show that no attorney sees merit in this case. But the second someone in the legal system touches the paperwork for her lawsuit, it costs me money; my tax money, which is being wasted on this stupidty.

As for the McDonald's coffee case, I fully understand the merits of that lawsuit. There was clearly extensive medical damage and McD's had been warned before about their ridiculously hot coffee. I have no problems with that case. But show me the damage here. She bought credits towards a degree and she received the degree. She didn't buy credits towards a job. Unless she has some written proof that she would be guaranteed a job upon graduation, she has nothing.
She, just like many others either mis-read or take them saying they will help find them a job too literally. Also, we live in the generation where everyone wants instant gratification and satisfaction. People need to realize not everything is so cut and dry, nor does anything happen overnight.

Did she not have a internship during college? That'll hurt you, especially in this time. I know, because I figured that out the hard way. I stress this too everyone I know entering college. I stress it over and over again.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2009, 10:28 AM   #46
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 Coupe, '21 X3, '16 GMC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desi View Post
Two points.

One, that I'm totally stealing from another forum, if they do end up having to pay out anything at all to her they should do so on the condition that she forfeit her degree. She wants a refund, she should have to return the "goods". Watch her do an aboutface.

Secondly, 2.7 GPA, a BCom and she can't get a job? I'm graduating with a god damn Political Science degree with a shittier GPA at the end of the next month and am already working for one of the most prestigious Canadian government departments and have a couple of other pretty tempting offers to consider.

I agree with your first point. And to justify your second point... I don't think they let smart people into political positions. You did what you had to do (aka suck at life) to get into a good standing with the other politicians. Good for you.
2021 BMW x30i • Phytonic Blue Metallic • Fully loaded
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2009, 10:38 AM   #47
Aija
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335Coupe 6-Speed!

Quote:
I've worked in academia for more than a decade and I know of no institution that promises employment, especially after only 3 months. The fact that she's representing herself goes to show that no attorney sees merit in this case. But the second someone in the legal system touches the paperwork for her lawsuit, it costs me money; my tax money, which is being wasted on this stupidty.

As for the McDonald's coffee case, I fully understand the merits of that lawsuit. There was clearly extensive medical damage and McD's had been warned before about their ridiculously hot coffee. I have no problems with that case. But show me the damage here. She bought credits towards a degree and she received the degree. She didn't buy credits towards a job. Unless she has some written proof that she would be guaranteed a job upon graduation, she has nothing.
+1
The above is my same opinion.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2009, 11:35 AM   #48
Cyber
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08

Cmon, if you've lived life past 30 you know that life is not about what you know but who - unless you work your ass off or invent the Snuggie.

I would say, with the exception of professional degrees and ivy league education, schools are a scam in my opinion.

I know people who are professional lawn care owners that make more than Harvard Ph.D's.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2009, 11:38 AM   #49
yomama69
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber View Post
Cmon, if you've lived life past 30 you know that life is not about what you know but who - unless you work your ass off or invent the Snuggie.

I would say, with the exception of professional degrees and ivy league education, schools are a scam in my opinion.

I know people who are professional lawn care owners that make more than Harvard Ph.D's.
Most people with Ph.D.'s stay in academia. It's not like professors are making a half mil a year. It's not a fucking M.D. or J.D.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2009, 11:43 AM   #50
Cyber
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by yomama69 View Post
Most people with Ph.D.'s stay in academia. It's not like professors are making a half mil a year. It's not a fucking M.D. or J.D.
MD JD = professional degree. Line 2 of my op.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2009, 11:49 AM   #51
yomama69
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber View Post
MD JD = professional degree. Line 2 of my op.
I was saying that majority of PhD recipients remain in academia. Most will never earn that of a professional degree recipient because of that. I was probably not clear.

P.S. I know what a professional degree is. I have one hanging on my wall.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2009, 12:11 PM   #52
Cyber
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I was saying that majority of PhD recipients remain in academia. Most will never earn that of a professional degree recipient because of that. I was probably not clear.

P.S. I know what a professional degree is. I have one hanging on my wall.
Professors don't make that bad of a living if they have tenure.

PS - Have one as well and am still paying back the loans on it to this day. I take the occasional class here and there to defer it once in a while.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2009, 12:11 PM   #53
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

Quote:
How is this so? Are you a resident of New York? Is this institution even public?
What I meant was, the justice system (judges, clerks, etc) are paid from tax money. So when they waste their time with this sort of crap, it costs all taxpayers money. *This particular instance* may not cost *me* money, but collectively, frivilous lawsuits cost us all money.

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2009, 01:45 PM   #54
yomama69
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
What I meant was, the justice system (judges, clerks, etc) are paid from tax money. So when they waste their time with this sort of crap, it costs all taxpayers money. *This particular instance* may not cost *me* money, but collectively, frivilous lawsuits cost us all money.
They're salaried. They get paid regardless of how much litigation is in the system. They don't cost anymore tax dollars the more lawsuits are filed. It just takes the litigation longer (which pisses me off).
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2009, 02:30 PM   #55
The Cthulhu
Banned
Rep
Drives: N/A

Quote:
They're salaried. They get paid regardless of how much litigation is in the system. They don't cost anymore tax dollars the more lawsuits are filed. It just takes the litigation longer (which pisses me off).
That's like saying that public sanitation workers get paid a salary so I should litter. Or that lifeguards get paid to be there even if I take a dump in the pool.

Anyone can sue anyone for anything... good thing most people don't.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2009, 02:32 PM   #56
yomama69
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cthulhu View Post
That's like saying that public sanitation workers get paid a salary so I should litter. Or that lifeguards get paid to be there even if I take a dump in the pool.

Anyone can sue anyone for anything... good thing most people don't.
I didn't say that it shouldn't be done. I said that someone shouldn't complain they are paying more taxes because of it.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2009, 04:02 PM   #57
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

Quote:
Which delays trials which keeps perps in jail longer before their trials sucking up resources for which we, the taxpayers, end up paying. You don't think if the courts' workloads were reduced that they'd not reduce staff? Or that frivilous lawsuits don't add to the workload? Anything which requires the hiring of more public employees costs the taxpayer money.

And the longer your litigation takes, the more likely your client will settle out of court for a lesser amount. That means you earn less which means you pay less taxes. Once again, frivilous lawsuits cost taxpayers money.

I rest my case.

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2009, 04:06 PM   #58
yomama69
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Which delays trials which keeps perps in jail longer before their trials sucking up resources for which we, the taxpayers, end up paying. You don't think if the courts' workloads were reduced that they'd not reduce staff? Or that frivilous lawsuits don't add to the workload? Anything which requires the hiring of more public employees costs the taxpayer money.

And the longer your litigation takes, the more likely your client will settle out of court for a lesser amount. That means you earn less which means you pay less taxes. Once again, frivilous lawsuits cost taxpayers money.

I rest my case.
Woah, woah, woah. You're confusing criminal courts with civil courts. Criminal trials have absolutely nothing to do with lawsuits in Civil courts.

The longer the litigation costs, the more the client has invested in attorney fees, which means the chances of the client wanting to settle are reduced.
Appreciate 0