BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

01-14-2013, 05:09 PM   #1
badazzm
Lieutenant
India
Rep
Drives: RRS GT2

Hawk HPS Brake Pads Installation Price

So my M3 is tripping. It was showing that my rear brakes are good for another 9,000 miles since the last service at end of Oct. and this morning it said I need to replace rear brakes asap! I only drove the car 1,500 miles since then. Weird. So since I am out of warranty, I decided to do research and found Hawk HPS Brake pads to be the best ones out there for my e92. Went to their website and called the local guy who carry's them. He quoted me $375 for everything OTD. Since the brakes pads are only $99, is this a fair price? How much is it usually?
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2013, 05:14 PM   #2
M3PO
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '08 IB E92

The service guide in iDrive is just a count down. The pad sensors telling you your pads are worn out are actually seeing what's going on.

$275 for pad installation is crazy. I can do it with a floor jack and hand tools in an hour. A shop with a lift should be quicker.
      01-14-2013, 05:26 PM   #3
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

You sure you want HPS?
I thought they sucked. They dust less, but have not bit at all compared to stock.
You should consider the Stoptech street sport pads instead.
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2013, 05:38 PM   #4
badazzm
Lieutenant
India
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3PO View Post
The service guide in iDrive is just a count down. The pad sensors telling you your pads are worn out are actually seeing what's going on.

$275 for pad installation is crazy. I can do it with a floor jack and hand tools in an hour. A shop with a lift should be quicker.
Haha. Thanks. I have never worked on cars and will def not do it on an M3. I thought $275 is a bit much. It should not be more than an hour right?
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2013, 05:41 PM   #5
badazzm
Lieutenant
India
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post
You sure you want HPS?
I thought they sucked. They dust less, but have not bit at all compared to stock.
Hmm. Well I just did a search on Google and found a thread on m3post where most of the people recommended Hawks. I do need less brake dust though. Cleaning a 5 inch lip every other day is not pleasant. Now I gotta do some more research on Stoptech's though. But I just wanted to get opinions on labor cost. $275 seemed excessive.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2013, 05:44 PM   #6
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
Quote:
You sure you want HPS?
HPS are good, they are just not for the track.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2013, 05:47 PM   #7
M3PO
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '08 IB E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by badazzm View Post
Haha. Thanks. I have never worked on cars and will def not do it on an M3. I thought $275 is a bit much. It should not be more than an hour right?
It's an easy job but I know not everyone can or will want to do it. My only point was that it's really easy. It shouldn't take more than an hour so unless their labor rate is $275/hour, the math doesn't add up.
      01-14-2013, 05:55 PM   #8
badazzm
Lieutenant
India
Rep

Quote:
It's an easy job but I know not everyone can or will want to do it. My only point was that it's really easy. It shouldn't take more than an hour so unless their labor rate is $275/hour, the math doesn't add up.
Yea that's what I thought that this should not be more than 1 hour. Usually shops are around $100/hr. Thanks man!
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2013, 07:27 PM   #9
Richard@M-World
United_States
Rep
Drives: NASA TTA #92 M3

Yes one hour of labor should be a reasonable price.
      01-14-2013, 08:59 PM   #10
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Quote:
Hmm. Well I just did a search on Google and found a thread on m3post where most of the people recommended Hawks. I do need less brake dust though. Cleaning a 5 inch lip every other day is not pleasant. Now I gotta do some more research on Stoptech's though. But I just wanted to get opinions on labor cost. $275 seemed excessive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by THE TECH View Post
HPS are good, they are just not for the track.
I hated them on my E36 M3. No initial bite compared to stock pads. WAY less braking power compared to stock at full braking. And if they're cold, they suck even more, IMO.

And 1 hour of labor should be enough if they have a lift and power tools.

Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2013, 09:56 PM   #11
ailikesiliu
Captain
Rep
Drives: e90m3 997.2gt3rs

And keep in mind, they are not easy on rotors.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2013, 10:29 PM   #12
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '97 332ti, '21 X5 45e, '16 GT4

Quote:
I hated them on my E36 M3. No initial bite compared to stock pads. WAY less braking power compared to stock at full braking. And if they're cold, they suck even more, IMO.
I found this as well on the street... and they literally melted at the track. I wouldn't get the HPS again on a bet.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2013, 11:40 PM   #13
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

have you actually went to the back of your car and looked at the pads to see how much is left?

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW exhaust|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|apr gt 250 & splitter|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2013, 01:29 AM   #14
badazzm
Lieutenant
India
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriszeh View Post
have you actually went to the back of your car and looked at the pads to see how much is left?
I did and I can see them but I don't know how to tell if they need replacing. I dont' want to take any chances either. I ended up ordering Hawk ceramic pads along with 2 bottles of brembo fluid from tire rack. I hope these will do the job. Do I need to get two brake sensors as well? And how can I tell about rotors? Thanks for your help!
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2013, 01:41 AM   #15
badazzm
Lieutenant
India
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryn View Post
I found this as well on the street... and they literally melted at the track. I wouldn't get the HPS again on a bet.
I just need some good pads with very less brake dust and tire rack says HPS ceramic are the lowest ones. I rarely track my car so it's mainly for everyday use.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2013, 06:30 AM   #16
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Quote:
I did and I can see them but I don't know how to tell if they need replacing. I dont' want to take any chances either. I ended up ordering Hawk ceramic pads along with 2 bottles of brembo fluid from tire rack. I hope these will do the job. Do I need to get two brake sensors as well? And how can I tell about rotors? Thanks for your help!
i usually use a flashlight so i can get a better view if looking thru the wheel for quick check. the pads have a backing plate that is about 4mm thick on OEM if i remember and i shoot for having about half that amount of pad left or so(2-3mm) being all the way worn. this is also about the point where you will start to wear thru the sensor. if you change pads at this point before the sensor is damaged then a new one isnt needed. also the last little bit of pad seems to get used really fast particularly with track use.

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW exhaust|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|apr gt 250 & splitter|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2013, 08:25 AM   #17
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
Quote:

And 1 hour of labor should be enough if they have a lift and power tools.

I don't have any complaints with the set I have.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2013, 11:26 AM   #18
badazzm
Lieutenant
India
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriszeh View Post
i usually use a flashlight so i can get a better view if looking thru the wheel for quick check. the pads have a backing plate that is about 4mm thick on OEM if i remember and i shoot for having about half that amount of pad left or so(2-3mm) being all the way worn. this is also about the point where you will start to wear thru the sensor. if you change pads at this point before the sensor is damaged then a new one isnt needed. also the last little bit of pad seems to get used really fast particularly with track use.
Thanks man! I will get them replaced anyways for less brake dust. I have parked the car for now and will wait for pads and fluid. Need to pick up the sensors today for back up in case I do need them.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2013, 11:27 AM   #19
badazzm
Lieutenant
India
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE TECH View Post
I don't have any complaints with the set I have.
Yep. I trust your choice. I ordered ceramic ones though for minimum brake dust. If I don't track the car then ceramic ones should be ok. I heard they suck at track.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2013, 10:39 PM   #20
Protocav
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

Hawk HPS pads are literally the worst pads i have ever had on a car (previous car). I put them on the car, and took them off the next day. That bad. If you haven't purchased them, look elsewhere, if you have purchased them, save the install time and find something else.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2013, 07:46 AM   #21
Grail05
Putcha ang ganda...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protocav View Post
Hawk HPS pads are literally the worst pads i have ever had on a car (previous car). I put them on the car, and took them off the next day. That bad. If you haven't purchased them, look elsewhere, if you have purchased them, save the install time and find something else.
Previous car? so have you actually used them in E9x M3?
      01-16-2013, 07:49 AM   #22
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:

Close thread. Nothing else to say.
Appreciate 0