BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!

06-18-2010, 01:57 PM   #1
alpineweiss
Private
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, F25 X3

What lug bolt shank length do you run with 5mm spacer?

What lug bolt shank length do you guys run with a 5mm spacer?

The stock bolt has a shank length of 26mm and I have been given 35mm bolts for my 5mm spacers. Wouldn't that be 4mm too long and would be interferring with the parts inside the hub?
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2010, 06:42 PM   #2
JAJ
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 Shelby GT500

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpineweiss View Post
What lug bolt shank length do you guys run with a 5mm spacer?

The stock bolt has a shank length of 26mm and I have been given 35mm bolts for my 5mm spacers. Wouldn't that be 4mm too long and would be interferring with the parts inside the hub?
It seems to depend on which end of the car you're putting them on. My experience on another BMW model (E39) was that there's very little space inside the rear hub for longer than normal bolts. The problem it creates is that the bolts hit the the emergency brake assembly. I found this out with a set of bolts that were only 3mm longer than stock - they made a tapping noise but did no actual damage. Any longer and they would have made quite a mess.

I tried the same bolts at the front and had no problems with them. There seems to be more clearance. However, the risk at the front is that they might hit the hub sensor for the traction control.

Overall, if you can get the right bolts then get them and use them.
Appreciate 0