BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

EXXEL Distributions
Closed Thread

02-08-2014, 08:41 PM   #1
MrStinky
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3

oem rotor quality?

I know people say M3 brakes suck but why are rotors not good? They are a good size for a 3600 pound car, well vented, drilled and are two piece with aluminum hat. What's not good?

If you put track pads and change brake fluid to high temp, I would think these brakes would be great.

The whole single piston brakes suck makes no sense as its not the bite or fuel people don't like but rather overheating which has nothing to do with how many piston calipers.
Seems stock rotors are really high end and all this system lacks is high performance pads for track?
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2014, 10:11 PM   #2
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Corvette GS, AMG C63 S

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrStinky View Post
I know people say M3 brakes suck but why are rotors not good? They are a good size for a 3600 pound car, well vented, drilled and are two piece with aluminum hat. What's not good?

If you put track pads and change brake fluid to high temp, I would think these brakes would be great.

The whole single piston brakes suck makes no sense as its not the bite or fuel people don't like but rather overheating which has nothing to do with how many piston calipers.
Seems stock rotors are really high end and all this system lacks is high performance pads for track?

Who is claiming the M3 brakes suck?
      02-09-2014, 02:01 PM   #3
Sebringjetta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dparm View Post
Who is claiming the M3 brakes suck?
i am when it comes to track use.... i have changed fluid and pads and it was night and day difference...for the most part it will get me through a few more months until i pick up a bbk but the worse part about the oem setup is the rotors...at 600$ a set they heat cycle way too fast!!!! for someone who never sees the track or only goes every now and then they are fine but i track 2 times a month and i dont plan on staying oem any longer then i need too
      02-09-2014, 02:22 PM   #4
Vic311
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrStinky View Post

Your threads seem very familar.

"I am Earl", "Longwong" ???
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2014, 02:59 PM   #5
FogCityM3
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M3 (E90) & Porsche GT3 RS

"RonnydaShore" "M3takesNYC" "Munit"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic311 View Post
Your threads seem very familar.

"I am Earl", "Longwong" ???
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2014, 04:06 PM   #6
MrStinky
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3

Why don't you stick to thread topic
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2014, 05:24 PM   #7
KmndntKlink
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 e92 m3

It's the heat capacity of OEM that people don't like. I took it to the track ONCE and had to cut the day short because I wasn't confident with the brakes. Still stopped, but lots of juddering after just a morning. Didn't think I was pushing very hard either. Sure pads & fluid & lines would help, but you wear those out faster with OEM. Might as well just go BBK as it ends up cheaper long term.

Sure stock is great for the occasional canyon carve & aggressive streeting, but look anywhere near a track and they're no good. I was impressed with how little they wear though.

I was also under the impression OEM is a 1 piece rotor single piston caliper with NON aluminum calipers. As such they are quite heavy compared to BBKs. More pistons means stronger & more consistent braking under repeated stops I believe.

Pads & rotors are actually cheaper & easier to replace with BBK so if you track at all, long term BBK is actually $$ savings. That's why people say OEM sucks.
      02-11-2014, 01:12 AM   #8
BimmerRob08
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3, Space Gray

Although we can't argue the performance of BBK, OEM brakes when upgraded with pads and fluid are just as competitive...to a point. I got a buddy that races his track-setup M3 in the South West and does NOT have a BBK. He runs with racing pads, racing fluid and has 6,000+ miles of track time from what I understand. Of course he's gone through rotors and pads but they hold up just as good.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2014, 03:59 PM   #9
mlhj83
Scythe-Meister
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M3 ZCP | F80 M3 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by KmndntKlink View Post
It's the heat capacity of OEM that people don't like. I took it to the track ONCE and had to cut the day short because I wasn't confident with the brakes. Still stopped, but lots of juddering after just a morning. Didn't think I was pushing very hard either. Sure pads & fluid & lines would help, but you wear those out faster with OEM. Might as well just go BBK as it ends up cheaper long term.

Sure stock is great for the occasional canyon carve & aggressive streeting, but look anywhere near a track and they're no good. I was impressed with how little they wear though.

I was also under the impression OEM is a 1 piece rotor single piston caliper with NON aluminum calipers. As such they are quite heavy compared to BBKs. More pistons means stronger & more consistent braking under repeated stops I believe.

Pads & rotors are actually cheaper & easier to replace with BBK so if you track at all, long term BBK is actually $$ savings. That's why people say OEM sucks.
OEM rotor is technically a 2-piece system. The friction ring is a separate piece to the hat, both are connected to one another via pins which allow the friction ring is to "slide" during expansion and contraction (thus the clinking noises). The hat and pins are aluminium - put a magnet to it if you need convincing.

The front caliper is aluminium, while its carrier is iron. It is a relatively light caliper - again, put a magnet to it if you are not convinced.

That said, with the right fluid and pads, a competent driver can easily manage 20mins of hard lapping on the OEM system.

Good BBKs do work well, but the OEM system is capable enough with the right pads and fluid, and the right technique. Many who track their cars regularly can attest to that.

Also, most BBKs don't actually save a huge amount of unsprung weight, a few kilograms no doubt, but not in the double digits - see the weight saving thread.

BBKs saving money is debatable as most reputable BBKs are more than $5k; that amount can buy quite a few oem discs, race pads and fluid changes. Also, remember that BBK consumables also cost more than oem consumables. Again, not saying reputable BBKs aren't great, they are, but they are not an absolute necessity for track use.

Last edited by mlhj83; 02-23-2014 at 04:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2014, 12:02 PM   #10
Dave07997S
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 Ford Mustang GT

The OEM brakes when used with upgraded fluid and pads are actually pretty good. I wouldn't even bother with a BBK until I moved on to a R type tire such as a Toyo R888 and the like. If you are tracking a lot and using a R compound tire then I would consider a BBK, until then just pads and fluid.

Even PCar guys need to change out pads and fluid on their brakes..what they have going in their favor is a lighter curb weight by some 200+ lbs.

Dave
2004 BMW M3 Imola/Blk
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread