BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

EXXEL Distributions

06-29-2011, 09:20 PM   #1
M3Bahn
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

Modern fortress home

Quote:
What amazes me about Safe House—a Polish home designed by Kwl Promes Architects—is that it manages to be a beautiful family residence while offering a security level probably comparable to the White House's situation room. It borders paranoia.
Just go through the gallery and notice all the details: The bank vault-thick doors and windows; the retractable bridge that joins the house with the indoor swimming pool; the giant metal door that shuts all the house's front down (and serves as a movie projection screen, apparently).

And yet, despite being a fortress when it closes at night, it's retains a beautiful airy spirit while it is open to the world.
http://gizmodo.com/5816854/this-hous...ilos/gallery/1
      06-29-2011, 09:24 PM   #2
jpsum
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 TSX

I can't believe this. A non-"Ask a..." thread!
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2011, 09:26 PM   #3
M3Bahn
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpsum View Post
I can't believe this. A non-"Ask a..." thread!
That crap got old.
      06-29-2011, 09:30 PM   #4
SchlauCow
Rep
Drives: Honda M6

Beautiful home, still.
      06-29-2011, 10:09 PM   #5
immiketoo
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Smoothly

I love the concept. Its waaay better than those bunker homes. Looks expensive though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by double eagle View Post
Thickness feels good to me and my hands aren't that big.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2011, 10:15 PM   #6
yakev724
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 15 S3

I think the cost of having that above ground as opposed to a secure underground bunker makes absolutely no sense in our (fingers crossed) global society. It's not something we need to constantly think/worry about and to me, does not constitute enough of a threat.

There was a history channel special about a company that builds huge underground bunkers by assembling big compartments together to form long tunnels which branch out. It's been contracted by the gov't and has built several dozen such bunkers for private use. That makes most sense, imo.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2011, 10:17 PM   #7
immiketoo
Colonel
Rep

I saw that show, and it would be cool. I like this better but you're right. The costs associated with above ground are crazy!

Quote:
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2011, 07:15 AM   #8
M3Bahn
Lieutenant
Rep

Problem with these types of homes or even underground is that they only buy you some time.

An underground home in an extremely remote area might work but eventually you might me found and then they know you have plenty of food etc and aren't going to just leave you there with it.
      06-30-2011, 07:35 AM   #9
immiketoo
Colonel
Rep

That's why you need one of me

Quote:
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2011, 09:15 AM   #10
Maestro
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan, 2021 X3

got to love the video projection on the big steel garage door...
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2011, 10:26 AM   #11
M3Bahn
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by immiketoo View Post
That's why you need one of me
Or more, plus some gun turrets on roof.

06-30-2011, 01:15 PM   #12
mact3333
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16' YMB/Blk F82

man I wish I could have that home...seriously...love it...anyone on west coast and doesnt have extra food water, guns/ammo, silver/gold, medical kit, some form of portable shelter is crazy imho....

I have 5 propane tanks, propane generator, tent, portable grill, food, waters, 9mm, fishing pole, and a copy of the constitution for sport...I might not live long during a epic earth fail, but I will outlive my neighbors haha...:....need a crossbow now.

Anyone have that Joel Skousen book???
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2011, 04:54 PM   #13
M3Bahn
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mact3333 View Post
man I wish I could have that home...seriously...love it...anyone on west coast and doesnt have extra food water, guns/ammo, silver/gold, medical kit, some form of portable shelter is crazy imho....

I have 5 propane tanks, propane generator, tent, portable grill, food, waters, 9mm, fishing pole, and a copy of the constitution for sport...I might not live long during a epic earth fail, but I will outlive my neighbors haha...:....need a crossbow now.

Short term that will work fine, long term things get real fuzzy.

I have seen civilization temporarily crumble twice now, LA riots and Northridge quake.
I can tell you it won't be a picnic at all after a real SHTF scenario where it might be years if ever that things get back to any kind of normal.

Did you see that link from that guy in Argentina I posted while back?
He has some great advice and stories from when Argentina collapsed.
      06-30-2011, 07:43 PM   #14
E90SoFlo
Banned
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

^^ did you guys watch the news after katrina, everyone was stealing shoes.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2011, 08:46 PM   #15
BillLee
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
09 E92 M3  [9.00]
damn its zombie proof. i want this house.

Appreciate 0
      06-30-2011, 10:48 PM   #16
lopealle
Resident Black Guy
Zimbabwe
Rep
Drives: Lion

Garage List
2006 M5  [10.00]
that thing is awesome
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2011, 11:21 PM   #17
The J-Man
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by mact3333 View Post

Sound like you are well-prepared. Keep it up. I fear the west coast has some troubled times ahead in the very near future.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2011, 11:57 PM   #18
Kiemyster
Bimmerpost Resident Marijuana Consultant
Trinidad_and_tobago
Rep
Drives: 320i, 325xi, 335Xi, 335i, M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by yakev724 View Post
I think the cost of having that above ground as opposed to a secure underground bunker makes absolutely no sense in our (fingers crossed) global society. It's not something we need to constantly think/worry about and to me, does not constitute enough of a threat.
im sorry, but what society do you live in? let me bring you back to the real world:

the ultra wealthy, the top 500 people in this world, all of their homes have radiation scrubbers. why the fuck do they get radiation scrubbers and we dont? why do they need them but we dont?

open up your eyes, and see whats going on in the world around you. this place is going to dissolve faster than you can even imagine. sure i sound ridiculous and paranoid, but there are so many things out there that would make you scream at night.

i promise you that in the next 10-15 years, global birth defects are going to run rampant amongst every society.

Do you know about Chernobyl? thanks to what recently happened in japan, we are facing something at the very least, 100 times larger than that.

prepare for dark times my friends. fuck, fornicate, and spread your seed while you still can.

you have all been officially warned.
      07-01-2011, 12:49 AM   #19
len56
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: like a gentleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiemyster View Post
im sorry, but what society do you live in? let me bring you back to the real world:

the ultra wealthy, the top 500 people in this world, all of their homes have radiation scrubbers. why the fuck do they get radiation scrubbers and we dont? why do they need them but we dont?

open up your eyes, and see whats going on in the world around you. this place is going to dissolve faster than you can even imagine. sure i sound ridiculous and paranoid, but there are so many things out there that would make you scream at night.

i promise you that in the next 10-15 years, global birth defects are going to run rampant amongst every society.

Do you know about Chernobyl? thanks to what recently happened in japan, we are facing something at the very least, 100 times larger than that.

prepare for dark times my friends. fuck, fornicate, and spread your seed while you still can.

unless you have a pro immune system

I EAT ALPHA PARTICLES FOR BREAKFAST. Or is it beta particles I should be worried about? I didn't listen enough in chemistry D:
      07-01-2011, 12:51 AM   #20
Kiemyster
Bimmerpost Resident Marijuana Consultant
Trinidad_and_tobago
Rep
Drives: 320i, 325xi, 335Xi, 335i, M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by len56 View Post
unless you have a pro immune system

I EAT ALPHA PARTICLES FOR BREAKFAST. Or is it beta particles I should be worried about? I didn't listen enough in chemistry D:
chemistry can eat this dick. lolll fuck that shit ahahahahahah smoke herbs all day you be okay!
      07-01-2011, 01:12 AM   #21
ghosthi32
Banned
Rep
Drives: Water camel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiemyster View Post

your smoking too much
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2011, 01:27 AM   #22
mact3333
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16' YMB/Blk F82

I laugh at people that laugh at this thread...for sport, look whats under the Denver Airport...anyone catch the art that had to be removed from Denver airport..kinda funny...most countries are building massive underground cities...hmmm.

Guess what, there is a secret club and you aint in it!....

Anyone youtube Zecharia Sitchin and his take on the Sumerian clay tablets???...scary and enlightening stuff...scared and weak minded shouldnt do it hehe.
Appreciate 0