BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

Mporium BMW

06-03-2012, 01:58 PM   #23
Rekrul
Captain
Rep
Drives: 19 M5 Comp, 16 GT3RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphughan View Post
If you're doing 70% city driving (especially if the other 30% is just highway commuting) I have to wonder why you got an M3. My driving is about 40% city, 10% highway, 45% rural back roads, and 5% track. If you don't have any rural back roads in your area, then as others have said look into HPDEs at nearby tracks. It can be expensive especially if you have to buy track insurance since your normal insurance doesn't cover HPDEs, but it's hands down the best way to enjoy your car and learn to really drive, and one of the best fun-per-dollar activities anywhere IMHO.
Let me rephrase, my city driving is in the burbs and there are many rural roads. I don't live in a big city. But yeah I think I will look into that.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2012, 02:27 PM   #24
CPB
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 911 turbo/E63S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rekrul View Post
I simple can't flog on this perfect machine! Anyone else feel this way?

Uhhhh.....no.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2012, 02:37 PM   #25
gblansten
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 23 Tesla S Plaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by minigearhead View Post
I am one of the children but I only go fast when there is enough visibility to...
Just think of all those SUVs filled with innocent children and you out there with your M button activated in your bavarian murder machine.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2012, 02:40 PM   #26
IFX
Banned
Rep
Drives: AW e46M/N54

Quote:
U mad bro? Lol

Mad? I think not.

Figure out how to drive your m3 correctly yet?
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2012, 02:51 PM   #27
electronspeeder
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 BMW M3

It's my bad weather car. I drive it when it's too cold/hot/snowy to drive the 'vert. Or when I need to haul people around. That being said, I beat on it hard (as I do all my cars). Drive it as it was meant to be driven.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2012, 03:49 PM   #28
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Quote:
The M3 is my baby as I'm sure it is for all of you as well. I love every minute that I am in it and look forward to driving it every day. That being said, I really feel like I don't drive it hard enough because of said reasons. I'm averaging over 18pmg in mixed driving...70% city. They say you only live once, but I simple can't flog on this perfect machine! Anyone else feel this way?
not at all. take the car to the track and build some skills. i feel i take my car to the ragged edge of its ability and its an amazing feeling. i didnt know you could use the brakes and suspension so hard until i grew the balls to do it.

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW exhaust|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|apr gt 250 & splitter|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2012, 04:29 PM   #29
car_fan
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 F97 X3M

Garage List
2020 BMW X3M  [0.00]
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarThaL View Post
Hell No!!!!

Look.....I am willing to bet that I keep my M3 in better condtion than most people. It is immaculately detailed. I never deliberately drive it in bad weather. I never really use it to haul "home depot" type stuff.

However, I drive this thing hard. Every time I drive it, I will take it to redline as much as I safely can. When the road is empty and familiar, I will push the limits of traction. This car is just so much fun. Then, when I'm done, I'll bring it back into the garage, and clean her up again. I even regularly clean the barrels of the wheels and the insides of the exhaust tips. I coddle her when its time to be coddled. I care for her greatly. But when it's time to play, it's time to play.

I'm with you I am anal about the details of this car - don't even dare to sit - if you have buttons or freshly dyed jeans - without covering my seats first.

That being said, my oil level - is preset #2 - Once I've verified everything is good - it's a regimen every time I drive to swing the tach meter. Life doesn't begin to your north of 6500K - I'm still learning to drive this car by ear - if you know what I mean.

These cars are meant to be driven! If for nothing else go find a couple of good on ramps and enter and exit a few times - the S65 is engine art
2018 X3 M40i BSM/Oyster/ZPP/ZPX/HK/S6CPA/718M(retired)
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2012, 04:56 PM   #30
LarThaL
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by apecush View Post
find a track.
go to track.
enjoy car legally.
Don't have enough time in my life to do this with enough regularity to satisfy me. Most of my spirited driving is intermingled with real life. Take a fun road to do an errand. Drive kids to friends house, then have a fun drive back home by myself, etc, etc. If my fast driving were confined to a track, I wouldn't own an M3, I would own an Ariel Atom, Lotus Exige, maybe a Cayman S. Speed limits have to be set to account for the poorest vehicles and drivers on the road. Experienced enthusiasts in very capable cars can bend the rules once in while. Just my opinion, of course.
      06-03-2012, 05:08 PM   #31
gblansten
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Don't have enough time in my life to do this with enough regularity to satisfy me. Most of my spirited driving is intermingled with real life. Take a fun road to do an errand. Drive kids to friends house, then have a fun drive back home by myself, etc, etc. If my fast driving were confined to a track, I wouldn't own an M3, I would own an Ariel Atom, Lotus Exige, maybe a Cayman S. Speed limits have to be set to account for the poorest vehicles and drivers on the road. Experienced enthusiasts in very capable cars can bend the rules once in while. Just my opinion, of course.

You don't have to drive either like a maniac or a grandmother. You can responsibly choose good places and times to have some fun without putting everyone else in danger.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2012, 06:10 PM   #32
von_zoom
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2010 Z06

Quote:
First time that I have seen an aXXXXXX post on the internet. I can only imagine what it must be like to watch you drive down the road. Pitiful.
Now - if you would like to put your car where you mouth is, try the track, and I would love to be with you when you do.
See you there?
vz

Previous Track Toy
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2012, 06:21 PM   #33
gblansten
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by von_zoom View Post
First time that I have seen an aXXXXXX post on the internet. I can only imagine what it must be like to watch you drive down the road. Pitiful.
Now - if you would like to put your car where you mouth is, try the track, and I would love to be with you when you do.
See you there?
vz
Why no opprobrium for my posts? I agree with him.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2012, 06:26 PM   #34
LarThaL
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by von_zoom View Post
See you there?
vz
I think you are getting the wrong idea. You would never see me driving fast down a road, because I only do it on very rural roads that are well known to me when there is no visible traffic. I live in a rural area. Very easy to do. It's also not as if I drive like a bat out of hell every time I get behind the wheel. Everything is in moderation, and very calculated when the conditions are just right. I am also 46, have been driving for 30 years, and have never come even remotely close to being in a speed related accident. Obviously I am doing something right because no one is that lucky. Anyway, you can think what you like. I have my views, am completely comfortable with them. Sorry if they offend you.

If you wouldn't nail the throttle on a road like this, you have no business buying an M3:

Again, just my opinion.

Last edited by LarThaL; 06-03-2012 at 06:38 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2012, 06:31 PM   #35
LarThaL
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gblansten View Post

You don't have to drive either like a maniac or a grandmother. You can responsibly choose good places and times to have some fun without putting everyone else in danger.
Agree completely. It's all about choosing the time and place. I am also not claiming that you can do sustained high speed driving like on a track. Just a little fun when all the stars are properly aligned.
      06-03-2012, 06:38 PM   #36
von_zoom
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2010 Z06

Quote:
Sorry if they offend you.
Your comment accepted, and I wish you all the best. I too only hope to goodness that you continue unabided.

Still, I hope to see you at the track one day.
vz

Previous Track Toy
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2012, 10:49 PM   #37
SDPRT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 M3 Space Gray/MT

Garage List
2008 BMW M3 e92  [0.00]
I miss the Whalers.
      06-04-2012, 12:00 AM   #38
tibra1
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 ZCP M3 - 2007 335i crashd

Geez all these track fanbois ..I open her up on the street ALL the time..just gotta know where you can and cant do it
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2012, 12:51 AM   #39
DARK_M3
Banned
Rep
Drives: 08 E90, 89 Grand Wagoneer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gblansten View Post
Just think of all those SUVs filled with innocent children and you out there with your M button activated in your bavarian murder machine.
lol
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2012, 01:05 AM   #40
DARK_M3
Banned
Rep
Drives: 08 E90, 89 Grand Wagoneer

Jesus christ. Relax about the track already. I've been to the track plenty and that is really where you find out the real limits of the vehicle. AND I wouldn't drive like that on the streets. But I don't frequent the track anymore and I like to have fun on the street from time to time. Just use your head. You know... the same way you would at the track.

Back on topic.. because the topic was never the track.. OP, definitely drive it like it was BUILT to be driven. A lot of research and development went into an engine that can absolutely take a fair amount of "abuse" if you even want to call it that.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2012, 03:05 PM   #41
767IJP
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 M3

Ride her hard and put her away wet.
      06-05-2012, 04:26 PM   #42
Elaz
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92m

two yrs not even 9000 miles i don't drive it enough either don't feel like your alone.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2012, 04:48 PM   #43
radiantm3
Apex Everything!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Honda S2000, 2017 GT350

Garage List
2011 E92 M3  [9.35]
2014 BMW i3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tibra1 View Post
Geez all these track fanbois ..I open her up on the street ALL the time..just gotta know where you can and cant do it
The problem is, once you've gone to the track, driving hard on public roads just isn't fun anymore. I have no interest in driving the car hard unless I'm at the track. I don't care if people drive their card hard on public roads as long as they don't do it around me or my family.

My pet project: https://stickershift.com
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2012, 06:16 PM   #44
Singletrack
4th down; 4th quarter? Renegade.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 SSII E92 M3; 19 FG M5C

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiantm3 View Post
The problem is, once you've gone to the track, driving hard on public roads just isn't fun anymore. I have no interest in driving the car hard unless I'm at the track. I don't care if people drive their card hard on public roads as long as they don't do it around me or my family.
Not true. I can have fun launching my car on an empty road. I can have fun on a backcountry road with no driveways or very few other cars. I can have fun blasting down the highway at an hour when there are no cars around me.

Of course, a lot has to do with your geography. There are many places where you cannot escape the crowds. I'm 15 mins from the city and 15 mins from the country.

Common sense goes a long way.
Appreciate 0