BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

European Auto Source (EAS)

02-15-2011, 05:34 PM   #1
stiles_s
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 ZCP, 10 q5 sline

e90 about to be built and I'm OCD -- help me finalize my order...

Hey all,
I currently have the following spec'd, to be built in the next week:
- 4door, 6spd
- Silverstone
- Black leather
- Competition package
- Folding rear seats

I love simple/pure cars. The last new BMW I bought was a factory ordered 99 M3 w/no sunroof, manual seats, etc.

things I'm obsessing over:
- Leather vs Speedcloth. I'm leaning towards leather because I think it'll be a bit more durable w/kids (6yrs and 18mos). I love the cloth, though...
- Folding rear seats vs not. I worry a little about losing a hair of structural rigidity, and gaining a little weight (sounds like I'm talking about me... ). Anyhoo, has *anyone* noticed creaks/etc w/their folding seats that lead them to think that they're losing some torsional rigidity? Do the cars w/o folding seats have braces behind them?
- Silverstone vs Space Gray. I love silver cars, but I feel like the SS is a bit too "blue". The gray is a "safe" choice, but it's on every 3 series I see around town. Has anyone bought SS and regretted it?

Thanks; all opinions welcomed.

Last edited by stiles_s; 02-15-2011 at 05:54 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2011, 05:42 PM   #2
GreasyGinzo
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E92 AW 6MT M3(Totaled)

A striped down M3 will probably depreciate at a slightly faster rate then an optioned out car. I personally would never buy a base model anything. Anything worth doing is worth doing right. Remember you can always not use something you have you can't use something you don't have.
      02-15-2011, 05:46 PM   #3
LateBraking
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Relatively Quick.

- Leather vs Speedcloth. I'm leaning towards leather because I think it'll be a bit more durable w/kids (6yrs and 18mos). I love the cloth, though...
Personal experience, black leather is not very durable. The Palladium Silver in my 2011 is holding up much better than the Black leather from my 2008, currently. Something to consider, maybe. However, a friend of mine with Speed Cloth stated that his door panels get dirty fairly easily. Something else to consider.
- Folding rear seats vs not. I worry a little about losing a hair of structural rigidity, and gaining a little weight (sounds like I'm talking about me... ). Anyhoo, has *anyone* noticed creaks/etc w/their folding seats that lead them to think that they're losing some torsional rigidity? Do the cars w/o folding seats have braces behind them?
Can't really answer this as I've only owned 08 and 11 Coupes. However, I've found that the folding rear seats have been invaluable to me. I wouldn't worry about any additional creaks coming from that: You'll get creaks from other portions of the car....
- Silverstone vs Slate Gray. I love silver cars, but I feel like the SS is a bit too "blue". The Slate is a "safe" choice, but it's on every 3 series I see around town. Has anyone bought SS and regretted it?
No.
http://jhwe.zenfolio.com/p610294548/h25538a40#h25538a40
http://jhwe.zenfolio.com/p610294548/h3539b800#h3539b800

But to be honest, I prefer my LeMans Blue over my old Silverstone. It was a gorgeous color though, especially when modded lightly and correctly.

Also, can you get slate gray? You'd need to go individual, right? And that costs 5k extra, no? Or are we talking Space Gray?

You're welcome.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2011, 05:49 PM   #4
llis
octane chick
United_States
Rep
Drives: ex-M

Garage List
2013 BMW M3 ZCP  [10.00]
2003 BMW M5  [0.00]
I can't speak for the M3, but my 335 E90 had the folding seats and they were awesome to have. Nothing like being able to fold down the seats and carry longer stuff. The seats are very well secured -- the releases are actually in the trunk. I'd say go for it, especially if you want this to be a family car. No creaks ever.

Color is a personal thing. I think the sparkling graphite is gorgeous. To my eye the silverstone is too light. Slate Gray -- is that a new color? If it's a dark gray, I'd say go for that.

Since you're in washington, I'd also recommend the cold weather package. Nothing like heated seats when you get into a freezing cold car!
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2011, 05:49 PM   #5
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2 Coupe, 2020 GLE 450

Garage List
Leather is probably the way to go, even though the cloth is durable. The folding seats add a ton of utility with no appreciable loss in structural strength or other issues. Space Gray with Fox Red would be my choice for an E90; as I do think Silverstone is pretty blue and blah.

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2023 M2 Coupe - Brooklyn Grey/Cognac/CF, 6MT; 2020 MB GLE 450
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2011, 05:53 PM   #6
Erhan
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cooper S

I got speedcloth because I think it will be more durable.

IIRC, the way folding seats are implemented does not reduce rigidity. Sedan is more rigid than the coupe btw.

If you'll go with leather, get heated seats. Leather gets very cold during winter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiles_s View Post
Hey all,
- 4door, 6spd
- Silverstone
- Black leather
- Competition package
- Folding rear seats

I love simple/pure cars. The last new BMW I bought was a factory ordered 99 M3 w/no sunroof, manual seats, etc.

- Silverstone vs Slate Gray. I love silver cars, but I feel like the SS is a bit too "blue". The Slate is a "safe" choice, but it's on every 3 series I see around town. Has anyone bought SS and regretted it?

02-15-2011, 05:56 PM   #7
speeding.rocket
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3 E90 6MT AW

I have my '09 E90 6MT fully almost fully loaded, with the exception of the sun shade and folding rear seats. I actually got it a month ago used, so I didn't actually hand pick the options. I did want all of the options. My thoughts:
1) The upgraded sound system sounds GREAT! The mids are really solid. The only time I have to listen to MY music is in the car driving to work. Any other time is with the kids (mini-van) and can't crank up the beats.
2) Folding rear seats is an option I wished I had. I just want to keep the option open if I need to run to home depot to get something or take my bike to work. It will never happen, but at least I know I'm not limited. I'm really surprised that folding seats is not on all cars.
3) I am not impressed by the 6MT. I wouldn't choose the dual-clutch (yet), but I think they could have done a better job on engineering the MT.
4) Yes, leather is a better choice. I noticed you're in Redmond? MSFT? You don't want to get your cloth seats wet do you? At least you can just wipe off the rain on the leather easily.
You'll love the car. You're lucky that WA doesn't have state income tax. Maybe that's how you're paying for the car
      02-15-2011, 05:56 PM   #8
stiles_s
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreasyGinzo View Post
A striped down M3 will probably depreciate at a slightly faster rate then an optioned out car. I personally would never buy a base model anything. Anything worth doing is worth doing right. Remember you can always not use something you have you can't use something you don't have.
I had people climbing all over me to buy my "purist" e36 M3, and just sold my very performanced focused (read: very lightly and performance-focused optioned) boxster S without a problem. I think dealers tell you this to buy more options

And, I think I *am* doing it right. I think sunroofs and power seats are silly on a performance car. that's just me. I love the fact that you can buy a bmw M3 w/o a roof (try that on a 911).
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2011, 05:58 PM   #9
speeding.rocket
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3 E90 6MT AW

Oh yes, the heated seats are a plus. They are quick to warm you up. I don't like blasting the heater. It ends up heating up my face and nothing else.
      02-15-2011, 05:59 PM   #10
stiles_s
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LateBraking View Post
Personal experience, black leather is not very durable. The Palladium Silver in my 2011 is holding up much better than the Black leather from my 2008, currently. Something to consider, maybe. However, a friend of mine with Speed Cloth stated that his door panels get dirty fairly easily. Something else to consider.
Can't really answer this as I've only owned 08 and 11 Coupes. However, I've found that the folding rear seats have been invaluable to me. I wouldn't worry about any additional creaks coming from that: You'll get creaks from other portions of the car....
No.
http://jhwe.zenfolio.com/p610294548/h25538a40#h25538a40
http://jhwe.zenfolio.com/p610294548/h3539b800#h3539b800

But to be honest, I prefer my LeMans Blue over my old Silverstone. It was a gorgeous color though, especially when modded lightly and correctly.

Also, can you get slate gray? You'd need to go individual, right? And that costs 5k extra, no? Or are we talking Space Gray?

You're welcome.
Wow, the links are to Silverstone? Beautiful and not "baby blue". Very nice!

You're right, I meant Space Gray.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2011, 06:01 PM   #11
Jeff_DML
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 01 996TT

Quote:
Hey all,
- 4door, 6spd
- Silverstone
- Black leather
- Competition package
- Folding rear seats

- Silverstone vs Space Gray. I love silver cars, but I feel like the SS is a bit too "blue". The gray is a "safe" choice, but it's on every 3 series I see around town. Has anyone bought SS and regretted it?

another plus with the folding seats is the LATCH access is a lot better.

I would go cloth if you want it, I think it will wear better long term over leather. I have not had to wipe up after my kids yet, knock on wood.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2011, 06:01 PM   #12
stiles_s
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by erhanh View Post
I got speedcloth because I think it will be more durable.

IIRC, the way folding seats are implemented does not reduce rigidity. Sedan is more rigid than the coupe btw.

If you'll go with leather, get heated seats. Leather gets very cold during winter.
No regrets going w/Speedcloth? Think it would survive an occasional "sippy cup" explosion? (from the kids in the back seat).

PS, you guys are awesome. Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2011, 06:02 PM   #13
jonasaurus
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 [Sold]

Slate Grey? Thats a Porsche offered colour!

Anyway rear folding seats, standard on the coupes and a must have in the sedan imo, even if I get use of it only 2 or 3 times a year I'd still be happy. Haven't noticed any creaking, and can't imagine the loss of torsional rigidity is that high on a relative scale.

Space Grey is a wonderful colour but if they still offered Sparkling Graphite I would have gone for it. Nevertheless as you said its a safe choice but will end up seeing others with it, if daring enough could try for a LMB!
      02-15-2011, 06:06 PM   #14
Erhan
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cooper S

Quote:
No regrets going w/Speedcloth? Think it would survive an occasional "sippy cup" explosion? (from the kids in the back seat).

Speedcloth is better in person than it is on pics, so I'm really happy. Everyone that has been in my car complimented how sporty it looks and how good the texture is. As much as I wish it was completly clotch, the leather accents on the sides and headrest areas give a very beautiful contrast. Can't comment on sippy cup question, no kids
      02-15-2011, 06:12 PM   #15
LateBraking
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Relatively Quick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonasaurus View Post
if daring enough could try for a LMB!
I'm a daring man? Well, I must thank Ashley (AMPowerJ) for that! He swung me over to LMB....

Quote:
Wow, the links are to Silverstone? Beautiful and not "baby blue". Very nice!

You're right, I meant Space Gray.
Yep, it's my old car. IMO the color only really comes across as BABY BLUE in specific lighting conditions....then again, I really like blues, so hey....

Quote:

Stoner sells a spray-on liquid repellant. Not sure if it works well on fabric, but I used it on my carpets, and WOW did it work amazingly....a friend spilled his Coke bottle on the passenger side carpets once, and none of the liquids soaked up, just beaded up on the surface. Wiped right off with 2-3 passes of some paper towels. 8 bucks a bottle, lasts 6 months. Should check out if it works on cloth seats too.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2011, 06:19 PM   #16
Chowster
E60_to_E90
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3

Just got my SSII last month. It's an AMAZING colour. I would never go with SG over SSII. It's not that blue btw... especially here in the rainy PNW.

Always folding rear seats. Why not??? No problems with any of my cars with folding rear seats.

Good luck with the build.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2011, 06:31 PM   #17
anthony @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: R56 Cooper S

Speed cloth is the nicest interior IMO. I don't know how well it would hold up to spills in comparison to leather.

Space gray sedans are one of my favorites but Silverstone looks amazing as well.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2011, 06:41 PM   #18
RandyB
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '03 330i, '09 M3 Coupe

Just because they offer something doesn't mean you should just check the box. My cars are lightly optioned and I wanted them that way - no regrets. I think it's funny when people brag about getting 'every available option.' BMW must have just read their mind when they decided what all to offer I guess.
      02-15-2011, 06:42 PM   #19
sensi09
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: .

I'd consider adding heated seats and a usb/ipod interface.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2011, 07:04 PM   #20
joelk
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Space Gray E90 M3

+1 on the heated seats
      02-15-2011, 07:29 PM   #21
My 10th BMW
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011.5 M3

I love the folding rear seats.
Great for those trips to Home Depot.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2011, 07:35 PM   #22
tukluc
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by speeding.rocket View Post
......You're lucky that WA doesn't have state income tax......
No we have 9.8% sales tax.

You pay one way or another
Appreciate 0