BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 Photos/Video/Media Gallery

08-26-2007, 07:50 PM   #23
Stahlgrau
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Backwards

Yeah yeah...rub it in.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2007, 08:38 PM   #24
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stahlgrau View Post
Yeah yeah...rub it in.
OK. I feel for you and the others. I played the sound through my stereo and recored it on my laptop. I had to cut out the not so exciting parts to get it under the file size limit for the forum. Attached is a zipped .wav file. Enjoy!
Attached Files
File Type: zip M3 Engine Sound.zip (401.8 KB, 180 views)
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2007, 10:13 PM   #25
Epacy
Reincarnated
Rep
Drives: 02 Maxima SE

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
You are a trooper Lucid.
      08-27-2007, 12:02 AM   #26
M2Crew
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Nice backfire pop at the end...
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2007, 02:10 AM   #27
nusevad
O! So Sour!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast 240z / Slow M3

Garage List
1971 Datsun 240z  [0.00]
2008 M3  [9.60]
horray its fixed. Nice sound
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2007, 08:48 AM   #28
M2002
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 04 330i, 16 i3 REX

Guys if the stock headers and exhaust sound like this imagine what the m3 will sound like after installing headers, hi-flow cats and a new muffler all by eisenmann MEISTERSCHAFT.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2007, 09:32 AM   #29
I'm takin' the day off.
South Africa
Rep
Drives: M

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucid View Post
OK. I feel for you and the others. I played the sound through my stereo and recored it on my laptop. I had to cut out the not so exciting parts to get it under the file size limit for the forum. Attached is a zipped .wav file. Enjoy!

Now that’s what friends are for.
      08-27-2007, 12:15 PM   #30
phoenixbmwlife
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i & G30 540i

Garage List
2014 BMW/M235i  [0.00]
The link still doesn't work, but I did get to download the file lucid did. The quality of the sound is just not good enough to make a judgement. But thanx anyway.

Follow me on Insta

https://www.instagram.com/bmwm_life_/
https://www.instagram.com/autogiftua/
https://www.instagram.com/phoenixbmwlife/
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2007, 02:30 PM   #31
southlight
Moderator / European Editor
Rep
Drives: X3M

2 new videos (at least to me):

Best regards, south
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2007, 03:15 PM   #32
Romo
Lieutenant Colonel
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: GR Yaris GT4RS

+1

Nice, thanks!
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2007, 05:59 PM   #33
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep

Although I enjoyed hearing the sounds, these videos, along with the many other videos, where brand new M3s seem to be redlined in a dealer garage/lot with a cold engine (yes I can't be sure of that I know), suggest that these cars are really getting abused by idiots working at dealers. I hope mine, if I decide to buy one, survives the dealer lot better than these cars did. I wonder is Aston Martins or Ferraris get a similar treatment?
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2007, 08:41 PM   #34
M2002
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 04 330i, 16 i3 REX

Quote:
Although I enjoyed hearing the sounds, these videos, along with the many other videos, where brand new M3s seem to be redlined in a dealer garage/lot with a cold engine (yes I can't be sure of that I know), suggest that these cars are really getting abused by idiots working at dealers. I hope mine, if I decide to buy one, survives the dealer lot better than these cars did. I wonder is Aston Martins or Ferraris get a similar treatment?
I feel your pain it is not fair for idiots to abuse a customer's car.
It feels so bad knowing you just spent 60k+ on a car you've been waiting for a long time only to be redlined by some useless idiots at a dealer.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2007, 08:46 PM   #35
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2002 View Post
I feel your pain it is not fair for idiots to abuse a customer's car.
It feels so bad knowing you just spent 60k+ on a car you've been waiting for a long time only to be redlined by some useless idiots at a dealer.
This really pisses me off indeed (I posted the same sentiment on another thread). I wonder why BMW is not doing anything about it. They must be seeing what we are seeing. I guess they don't care. Yeah, it sure doesn't make me feel good about spending that kind of money on a car. I am even considering complaining to BMW--but they'd probably dismiss it as an exception or something.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2007, 09:06 PM   #36
Garrett
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2004 330ci

Quote:
This really pisses me off indeed (I posted the same sentiment on another thread). I wonder why BMW is not doing anything about it. They must be seeing what we are seeing. I guess they don't care. Yeah, it sure doesn't make me feel good about spending that kind of money on a car. I am even considering complaining to BMW--but they'd probably dismiss it as an exception or something.

As you can tell the hood was opened. I'm sure that the engine was idling for a long time and then shut off before they filmed the vid.

I also don't here the car getting near the redline, it barly tops 6 grand, at most.

-Garrett
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2007, 09:15 PM   #37
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett View Post
As you can tell the hood was opened. I'm sure that the engine was idling for a long time and then shut off before they filmed the vid.

I also don't here the car getting near the redline, it barly tops 6 grand, at most.

-Garrett
It would take many minutes for the engine to reach operating temp at idle. And you have no idea it's been idling that long in this video (nor do I know that it is cold). However, if you pay attention to some of the other videos, what's done to these cars are pretty clear. 2-3 idiots walking around the car, drooling over it, then one of them gets inside, turns it on and guns it.

In the first video, toward the end, that's much more than 6000 rpms.

I've paid attention to how they handle these cars first hand. When I was buying my car, the guy at the dealer literally dropped a 330ci on the sidewalk and smashed something underneath when he was trying to play rally driver, getting out of a tight spot. Then, when pulling it up to where I was waiting in the lot, pretty much redlined. I told him he damaged the car, and he ignored me, and gave me the keys. Would it occur to you that you should inspect the underside of your brand new BMW before buying it?
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2007, 11:11 PM   #38
drsnooz
Professor
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 E60 M5

Great work lucid for putting the youtube video on a .wav file for all to hear. Computer idiots like me couldn't figure that out. I agree with you. I hope my M3 doesn't get redlined while it's "cold". I would definitely be pissed! I wonder if there's a way to scan the cars computer to see what shananigans have happened before the car is delivered to us and if there has been any tomfoolery. Can we can do anything if it has happened???
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2007, 11:40 PM   #39
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsnooz View Post
Great work lucid for putting the youtube video on a .wav file for all to hear. Computer idiots like me couldn't figure that out. I agree with you. I hope my M3 doesn't get redlined while it's "cold". I would definitely be pissed! I wonder if there's a way to scan the cars computer to see what shananigans have happened before the car is delivered to us and if there has been any tomfoolery. Can we can do anything if it has happened???
I am not sure what the ECU records, or if it keeps any history at all. If you were able to prove that your car was operated against the documented break-in procedures before delivery, I guess you could sue BMW for not adhering to their own guidelines and potentially damaging your car or undermining its performance. I don't know what you'd win though.

This type of abuse could be avoided if BMW was to simply put some kind of restriction in the software at the factory, which could only be removed during delivery or something. I guess they don't really care.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2007, 12:06 AM   #40
southlight
Moderator / European Editor
Rep
Drives: X3M

Quote:
This type of abuse could be avoided if BMW was to simply put some kind of restriction in the software at the factory, which could only be removed during delivery or something. I guess they don't really care.
M cars used to have a limiter for delivery/shipment. You can't revv over 5500 unless this limiter is deactivated. So for the delivery to the dealer they're able to make sure that the shipper or anybody else over-revvs it. Anyway at the dealer it's a different story since the dealer must know how to remove that...

Best regards, south
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2007, 02:50 AM   #41
phoenixbmwlife
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i & G30 540i

Garage List
2014 BMW/M235i  [0.00]
My mechanic told me that every M car has something in it to tell how many times its been red-lined and how high. Most people dont know this, but he says when you want to buy a car ask them to show you the readout of it.

Follow me on Insta

https://www.instagram.com/bmwm_life_/
https://www.instagram.com/autogiftua/
https://www.instagram.com/phoenixbmwlife/
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2007, 07:31 AM   #42
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by southlight View Post
M cars used to have a limiter for delivery/shipment. You can't revv over 5500 unless this limiter is deactivated. So for the delivery to the dealer they're able to make sure that the shipper or anybody else over-revvs it. Anyway at the dealer it's a different story since the dealer must know how to remove that...

Best regards, south
That could be dealt with somehow, too. The code can be written so that it can be deactivated only once, or it cannot be reactivated by dealer once deactivated, and if the deactivation happens in front of you in a tangible way, you can be sure it has been active the whole time.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2007, 07:33 AM   #43
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by K3N R3D View Post
My mechanic told me that every M car has something in it to tell how many times its been red-lined and how high. Most people dont know this, but he says when you want to buy a car ask them to show you the readout of it.
That would be interesting. Is that the case for the E92 as well?
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2007, 08:12 AM   #44
I'm takin' the day off.
South Africa
Rep
Drives: M

Quote:

What I do, in writing, is instruct them not to rev the vehicle while testing and only the work shop manager may drive the vehicle. As far as other makes are concerned some do not require a run-in and other vehicles that do get even worse abuse. It all boils down to the more desirable a car is the more ass holes want to play with them.