BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

EXXEL Distributions

12-06-2014, 03:26 PM   #111
Boss330
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAJ View Post
The shortest stopping distance is achieved with a trained driver (usually a pro) doing threshold braking. That's how it's done in F1, for instance. For everyone else there's ABS.

We don't know if the car in the test is using a special ABS calibration. Most street calibrations won't get the best out of RComps or slicks, for instance. If you're running RComps and you have the right ABS calibration, you can pretty much do threshold braking - the ABS will hold off until things are well past that point. Street calibrations aren't so forgiving, and they'll kick in earlier.
F1 doesn't have ABS brakes anymore because it was banned in the '90ies. Every pro race series that hasn't banned ABS, use ABS. Same with traction control.

No human is able to replicate the electronic systems (like ABS and TC) ability to exploit available traction.

Agree on ABS calibration. But since the car used was a race car, I suspect the ABS is set up for sticky tires and good brakes
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2014, 05:44 PM   #112
bigjae1976
Major General
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 M3 Individual

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [4.50]
2011 BMW E90 M3  [5.25]
2013 BMW 328i  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss330 View Post
F1 doesn't have ABS brakes anymore because it was banned in the '90ies. Every pro race series that hasn't banned ABS, use ABS. Same with traction control.

No human is able to replicate the electronic systems (like ABS and TC) ability to exploit available traction.

Agree on ABS calibration. But since the car used was a race car, I suspect the ABS is set up for sticky tires and good brakes
It looks like a car with a bunch of stuff on it to make it look like a racecar. I'd be pretty confident saying that all of the electronics are stock.
2000 E36/7 Z3 Steel Blue
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2014, 06:35 PM   #113
Boss330
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjae1976
Quote:

It looks like a car with a bunch of stuff on it to make it look like a racecar. I'd be pretty confident saying that all of the electronics are stock.
It looks like one of the VLN or RCN long distance series race cars, just like the M235i race car that BMW made this year (for the VLN series). AFAIK they all have modified software for racing on slicks.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2014, 11:44 PM   #114
JAJ
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 Shelby GT500

Quote:

Maximum traction from tires happens with a few percent slip - that's slip angle in cornering and incipient lockup under braking. My point is that if an ABS is calibrated to allow tire slip, it's simply emulating a pro driver doing threshold braking. As soon as incipient lockup gets past the threshold and becomes real lockup, the ABS controller starts modulating the brakes. That is, the brakes alternate between being locked up with tires sliding or released to get the tires rolling again. I suppose the stopping distance could get shorter that way, but I'll take some convincing. As far as I know, ABS computers don't have the finesse to fine-tune line pressures to maintain threshold braking - they either stand back and watch if everything is going well, or they cycle the brakes on and off.

While this is a BMW forum, and I drove them for years and still do, one thing I'll say for Ford is that they are shockingly reasonable on stuff like this. I can buy a plug-and-play replacement ABS controller for my car from Ford for about $400 with the racing slick calibration used in the factory race cars. BMW could do this, but they don't. If you're not a pro race team, you just can't get this stuff.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2014, 01:09 PM   #115
Boss330
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAJ View Post
Maximum traction from tires happens with a few percent slip - that's slip angle in cornering and incipient lockup under braking. My point is that if an ABS is calibrated to allow tire slip, it's simply emulating a pro driver doing threshold braking. As soon as incipient lockup gets past the threshold and becomes real lockup, the ABS controller starts modulating the brakes. That is, the brakes alternate between being locked up with tires sliding or released to get the tires rolling again. I suppose the stopping distance could get shorter that way, but I'll take some convincing. As far as I know, ABS computers don't have the finesse to fine-tune line pressures to maintain threshold braking - they either stand back and watch if everything is going well, or they cycle the brakes on and off.

While this is a BMW forum, and I drove them for years and still do, one thing I'll say for Ford is that they are shockingly reasonable on stuff like this. I can buy a plug-and-play replacement ABS controller for my car from Ford for about $400 with the racing slick calibration used in the factory race cars. BMW could do this, but they don't. If you're not a pro race team, you just can't get this stuff.
Point is that even F1 drivers got shorter stopping distances with ABS brakes than without... And better acceleration with TC than without...

Have you tested brakes with for instance a MAHA decelerometer?

I have done this frequently and on many different cars. On the graph of measured deceleration you will see that deceleration rises and peaks, before settling at a lower level until standstill. On a old car with ABS, the deceleration settles at a noticeable lower level than at peak initial deceleration (optimal or treshold deceleration). On a modern car, the drop under ABS braking is very small compared to the initial highest deceleration.

Today the ABS operates at such a high frequency of on/off that it's impossible for any human to replicate by treshold braking. IMO ABS brakes today IS effectively replicating treshold braking.

BTW, Ayrton Senna won all of his championships in F1 cars with ABS brakes...

-1988 McLaren MP 4/4 in which he took his first championship
-1989 and 1990 McLaren MP 4/5 (1989 Prost WC and 1990 Senna WC)
-1991 McLaren MP 4/6

ABS was banned after the 1993 season.

I'm sure that if Senna thought he could brake better without ABS he would have had it taken off his car. And, even F1 drivers struggle with locking brakes and getting flat spots on their tires. I'm pretty sure they all would have said yes to ABS from a pure performance perspective as that woul eliminate a few destroyed tires, massive vibrations and early pit stops due to flat spotted tires...
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2014, 03:35 PM   #116
JAJ
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 Shelby GT500

Quote:
Point is that even F1 drivers got shorter stopping distances with ABS brakes than without... And better acceleration with TC than without...

Have you tested brakes with for instance a MAHA decelerometer?

I have done this frequently and on many different cars. On the graph of measured deceleration you will see that deceleration rises and peaks, before settling at a lower level until standstill. On a old car with ABS, the deceleration settles at a noticeable lower level than at peak initial deceleration (optimal or treshold deceleration). On a modern car, the drop under ABS braking is very small compared to the initial highest deceleration.

Today the ABS operates at such a high frequency of on/off that it's impossible for any human to replicate by treshold braking. IMO ABS brakes today IS effectively replicating treshold braking.

BTW, Ayrton Senna won all of his championships in F1 cars with ABS brakes...

-1988 McLaren MP 4/4 in which he took his first championship
-1989 and 1990 McLaren MP 4/5 (1989 Prost WC and 1990 Senna WC)
-1991 McLaren MP 4/6

ABS was banned after the 1993 season.

I'm sure that if Senna thought he could brake better without ABS he would have had it taken off his car. And, even F1 drivers struggle with locking brakes and getting flat spots on their tires. I'm pretty sure they all would have said yes to ABS from a pure performance perspective as that woul eliminate a few destroyed tires, massive vibrations and early pit stops due to flat spotted tires...
Okay - I said I'd take some convincing and now I'm convinced - thank you!
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2014, 04:23 PM   #117
bigjae1976
Major General
Rep

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [4.50]
2011 BMW E90 M3  [5.25]
2013 BMW 328i  [5.00]
I guess this goes back to the argument of DSC in M mode which showed to intervene even though it wasn't noticeable. The question is...how good was the ABS system? Even if ABS could shorten the stopping distance...then is it a good comparison to test a system designed for 4 axles on only 2 axles?

I have no answer for that. Interesting discussion.
2000 E36/7 Z3 Steel Blue
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2014, 03:43 PM   #118
Richbot
Major General
Rep
Drives: Jerez Black E90

I have no data to back it up but my opinion is the M3's system is very very effective (both before and after my Stoptechs) in straight-line braking, but starts to pulse the inside front a little sooner under trail braking now that I have the stoptechs. A full-ABS stop paints two faint black stripes (but no smoke or lockup) on concrete in my car, that tells me it's allowing a good amount of slip without lockup. Optimal? Probably not, few street systems are all the way there to max threshold braking all the time in all situations for all tires because they have to handle a huge range of conditions and tire selections safely, but the M3's ABS is one of the best systems I've played with. It handles a wheel in the air, pogoing, racing tires, weird sizes, etc. very well for a factory system. I think pad compound difference is more to blame for the difference Iv'e noticed with the Stoptechs

Last edited by Richbot; 12-08-2014 at 03:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2014, 01:42 PM   #119
Edward
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013.9999 E92 Jerez ZCP

BBK's are definitely engineered to provide fade-resistant braking power lap after lap. The best possible setup for a fast track probably can't be all things to all drivers. If you don't track, a track setup is probably worse for your safety. I personally don't track so I am happy with the stock units (minus their weak looking calipers) since they can stock my car in those unexpectedly hard stops. The last thing I want is a nice looking BBK that I can't utilize that also takes time to warm up and is noisy and chattery.

This is not to say that on the times I am on mulholland dr fun a fun drive, two things start to heat up really fast. My brakes and my oil. My stock setup will get mushy pretty quickly and the pedal will travel further and the pads will feel grittier and choppy as everything gets hotter.

Our brakes are a compromise just like every single other aspect of our car is a compromise. Who knows about the Brembo kit in the test...all I know is that they seem to have tried to cancel out variables and control the test very tightly.

I just see a lot of people here getting really upset over one test. I see vendors getting hyper defensive over a product they sell frequently and a lot of people who own brembos getting upset. Relax...it's one publication. If EVO or some other guys did this same exact test you can almost guarantee they would not provide a consistent review. It's just a desperate when people get so butt hurt and defensive over some test results.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2014, 02:10 PM   #120
radiantm3
Apex Everything!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Honda S2000, 2017 GT350

Garage List
2011 E92 M3  [9.35]
2014 BMW i3  [10.00]
I have the Brembo 380 kit and could care less what people on the forums think. My kit has performed flawlessly in the 30 or so track days I've run them in. No issues with fade, pedal feel is always consistent, and I've had complete confidence in them from day 1.

My pet project: https://stickershift.com
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2014, 11:49 AM   #121
oldmanstyle
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward View Post
BBK's are definitely engineered to provide fade-resistant braking power lap after lap. The best possible setup for a fast track probably can't be all things to all drivers. If you don't track, a track setup is probably worse for your safety. I personally don't track so I am happy with the stock units (minus their weak looking calipers) since they can stock my car in those unexpectedly hard stops. The last thing I want is a nice looking BBK that I can't utilize that also takes time to warm up and is noisy and chattery.

This is not to say that on the times I am on mulholland dr fun a fun drive, two things start to heat up really fast. My brakes and my oil. My stock setup will get mushy pretty quickly and the pedal will travel further and the pads will feel grittier and choppy as everything gets hotter.

Our brakes are a compromise just like every single other aspect of our car is a compromise. Who knows about the Brembo kit in the test...all I know is that they seem to have tried to cancel out variables and control the test very tightly.

I just see a lot of people here getting really upset over one test. I see vendors getting hyper defensive over a product they sell frequently and a lot of people who own brembos getting upset. Relax...it's one publication. If EVO or some other guys did this same exact test you can almost guarantee they would not provide a consistent review. It's just a desperate when people get so butt hurt and defensive over some test results.
You sound more emo and upset than the people you're referring to. Those making the ridiculous point, "well that's how they come from the manufacturer, so it's a fair test", just don't get it. It's that simple.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2015, 09:37 PM   #122
HapaM3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

I worked for Stoptech for 13.5 years. I'm not surprised of the results of this test. That team tries its hardest to deliver and rarely fails. Never once has this company gone and tried to create a false forum user name to bad mouth a company just because it has created a healthy competition in the market like some other companies- ehhem! The Director of Engineering is by far one of the most dedicated automotive weenie-heads I have ever met. As for the product, it is constantly being pushed to the limits on racetracks all over the world. I know this post comes from a prideful place within, but hey, I'm taking the opportunity to bask a little. Thanks.

Enjoy those ST BBKs. It puts a little smile on my face for doing my job well.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2015, 10:47 AM   #123
e46e92love
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 ///M3; X3 (wife's)

This pretty much does not surprise me at all. Brembo is never the first name track junkies turn to. Big name, but the top 3 in the test would have always been the only three I would have looked at WITHOUT this test.

Cheers,
e46e92

"...it's not about the money and not about the brand of the car, it's about handling,performance and passion......And that, no other car has all together like an M3........when you talk about the most complete car the M is invincible." --Tony Kanaan.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2015, 10:52 AM   #124
Amirsm3
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Space Grey e90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by e46e92love View Post
This pretty much does not surprise me at all. Brembo is never the first name track junkies turn to. Big name, but the top 3 in the test would have always been the only three I would have looked at WITHOUT this test.

Cheers,
e46e92
There's gotta be a reason they're the 99% choice for OE brakes on supercars, sport saloons and the like.

I'm not gonna sit here and justify my brembo kit (I know my set up isn't the end all solution), but just throwing that out there.

BMWCCA:518970
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2015, 06:00 PM   #125
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amirsm3 View Post
There's gotta be a reason they're the 99% choice for OE brakes on supercars, sport saloons and the like.

I'm not gonna sit here and justify my brembo kit (I know my set up isn't the end all solution), but just throwing that out there.
cater to the masses and look pretty?

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW exhaust|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|apr gt 250 & splitter|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|
Appreciate 1
MasterP722.00
      01-11-2015, 09:07 AM   #126
bigjae1976
Major General
Rep

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [4.50]
2011 BMW E90 M3  [5.25]
2013 BMW 328i  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amirsm3
Quote:
Originally Posted by e46e92love View Post

Cheers,
e46e92

Name recognition worldwide. Brembo isn't shy about their links to F1...so people think because F1. Many people wax lyrical about BBS wheels for the same reason.

Kind of like Recaro as well. A product that works well with a premium price for the name.

But I'm sure car manufacturers use Brembos because of the name recognition to sell products. Do you think Stoptech brakes would be a big seller for the car buying majority (which is not us)?
2000 E36/7 Z3 Steel Blue
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2015, 06:12 PM   #127
dj_dub
IG: @dj_dub
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW E90 M3 - SG/FR 6MT

Garage List
I'm still gonna get the Brembo 380 kit. lol
CarboProject CF Plenum | Dinan CF Intake | ESS Tune | RKP X-Pipe | Akra w/CF Tips | MFactory CF DS | CSF Cooling | AST 5200 | Hotchkis F/R Sways | SPL/Ground Control/Fall-Line Arms | DEFIV Diff Brace | StudioRSR Rollcage | 3-piece BBS RT88 | Michelin PS4S | Brembos F/R | Recaro Profi SPG XL | CAE Ultra Shifter | Perf Elec Wheel V2 | BAVSOUND | GT4 CF Front Lip/Canards/Rear Wing | Arkym CF Rear Diffuser | Forcewerkz CF SS | Varis CF Lower Tray | Turner Skidplate | BayOptiks Headlights
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2015, 06:15 PM   #128
Amirsm3
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Space Grey e90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjae1976 View Post
Name recognition worldwide. Brembo isn't shy about their links to F1...so people think because F1. Many people wax lyrical about BBS wheels for the same reason.

Kind of like Recaro as well. A product that works well with a premium price for the name.

But I'm sure car manufacturers use Brembos because of the name recognition to sell products. Do you think Stoptech brakes would be a big seller for the car buying majority (which is not us)?
I'm sure it's more than just to sell products. Is there name recognition involved? Sure, but that's not all of it.

BMWCCA:518970
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2015, 04:13 AM   #129
Boss330
Major General
No_Country
Rep

UPDATE: In the last issue of Auto Bild Sportscars there was a letter in the "Readers letters" section that took up the BBK test.

The editor replied that they assumed that "Brembo had delivered the wrong kit which was the reason behind the disastrous results" and the they would do a new test with the proper Brembo BBK that would be published later.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2015, 11:05 AM   #130
bigjae1976
Major General
Rep

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [4.50]
2011 BMW E90 M3  [5.25]
2013 BMW 328i  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss330
UPDATE: In the last issue of Auto Bild Sportscars there was a letter in the "Readers letters" section that took up the BBK test.

The editor replied that they assumed that "Brembo had delivered the wrong kit which was the reason behind the disastrous results" and the they would do a new test with the proper Brembo BBK that would be published later.
So what you're saying is Brembo owners do not face imminent death using their bbk?
2000 E36/7 Z3 Steel Blue
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2015, 03:46 PM   #131
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjae1976 View Post
So what you're saying is Brembo owners do not face imminent death using their bbk?
Depends if you let perple derple bleed them.

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW exhaust|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|apr gt 250 & splitter|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|
Appreciate 1
      01-20-2015, 05:20 PM   #132
radiantm3
Apex Everything!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Honda S2000, 2017 GT350

Garage List
2011 E92 M3  [9.35]
2014 BMW i3  [10.00]
Quote:

No that editor is wrong and everyone (who don't even own the kit) bashing Brembos in this thread is right. Come on now, lets be realistic here. There can't be 6 pages of people being wrong.

Last edited by radiantm3; 01-20-2015 at 05:25 PM..
Appreciate 0