BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > Canada

05-29-2009, 12:13 PM   #199
Brianrg
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkyg View Post
How are you liking the gear set Brian? I still have the stock 6MT but with the dollar climbing??

How is driving around town, can you still roll around in 3rd easily or are teh revs too high? How bad is 1st now?
I am really liking it! When you launch off the line first gear ends real quick.
Prices will definitely come down with our dollar climbing closer to par.

There is only one way to find out if it is worth the $$$, next time you are in Calgary take mine for a ride.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2009, 12:13 PM   #200
CSMRX7
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrg View Post
Definitely insane!
I felt like an absolute junior when we went from his car to mine after those three laps.
We ran 124.7.
I can't imagine a 123.3.
And yes I would love to have a ride in your track car.
Are you able to stay in 4th with the new gears on the straight. I was just at redline in 4th when I hit the brakes at the end of the straight so I am wondering if you felt the need to hit 5th with the new gears.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2009, 12:46 PM   #201
Brianrg
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSMRX7 View Post
Are you able to stay in 4th with the new gears on the straight. I was just at redline in 4th when I hit the brakes at the end of the straight so I am wondering if you felt the need to hit 5th with the new gears.
Twice I tried 5th but I felt I lost something with the shift so I just stayed in fourth and really rode the redline. I glanced down a couple of times and the digital speedo read 215.

I felt like I wasn't carrying enough speed out of the carousel. I think a few more times around I could exit that last corner cleaner and I will be switching into fifth and hitting higher speeds on the front straight.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2009, 12:52 PM   #202
CSMRX7
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Twice I tried 5th but I felt I lost something with the shift so I just stayed in fourth and really rode the redline. I glanced down a couple of times and the digital speedo read 215.

I felt like I wasn't carrying enough speed out of the carousel. I think a few more times around I could exit that last corner cleaner and I will be switching into fifth and hitting higher speeds on the front straight.
I did a quick calculation and at redline with the 4.10 you should be doing in the 207-210 range at redline in 4th.

Carrying speed out of the carousel is so important. I give up a lot going into the carousel to make sure I get the exit right. that last right hander along the wall is the most important turn on the track to get right, in slow out fast!!! Give it time and practice and you will definately need 5th!!!!
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2009, 01:08 PM   #203
Brianrg
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I did a quick calculation and at redline with the 4.10 you should be doing in the 207-210 range at redline in 4th.

Carrying speed out of the carousel is so important. I give up a lot going into the carousel to make sure I get the exit right. that last right hander along the wall is the most important turn on the track to get right, in slow out fast!!! Give it time and practice and you will definately need 5th!!!!
To be honest I thought that 215 was fast as well.
Up until the last two sessions was as around the 204-208 mark and Greg really helped my carry a little more speed through carousel and I believe I hit 211, 213 and 215 on three consecutive laps. Not sure how accurate my speedo is but was more concerned about should I shift or hold.
Next time definitely going to try and get into third.

Are you down shifting into second?
Greg kept me in third and fourth.

Over the weekend I will look were the redline points are for my car.
I am very interested in doing some roll on comparisons as well if anyone if game with a stock 6MT.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2009, 01:39 PM   #204
nd54
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: RDSport RS 46

Definitely jealous of you guys, it sounds like the track day was awesome.

6:30 tonight works for me, I can't stay for too long but it will be great to meet some of you guys before Sunday.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2009, 02:40 PM   #205
CSMRX7
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
To be honest I thought that 215 was fast as well.
Up until the last two sessions was as around the 204-208 mark and Greg really helped my carry a little more speed through carousel and I believe I hit 211, 213 and 215 on three consecutive laps. Not sure how accurate my speedo is but was more concerned about should I shift or hold.
Next time definitely going to try and get into third.

Are you down shifting into second?
Greg kept me in third and fourth.

Over the weekend I will look were the redline points are for my car.
I am very interested in doing some roll on comparisons as well if anyone if game with a stock 6MT.

I shift into 2nd in the work zone before 11/12 it is a tough downshift in our cars since the workzone is so short. By the apex point of 11 I am in the throttle and keep adding throttle until I am full throttle at the apex of 12 which gives me a bit more acceleration on to the straight but you have to make sure the car is pretty ballanced or the back end of the car will pull to the outside wall. But good for a couple KPH. Based on my RPM I am hitting 225ish at the end of the straight.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2009, 02:42 PM   #206
CSMRX7
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nd54 View Post
Definitely jealous of you guys, it sounds like the track day was awesome.

6:30 tonight works for me, I can't stay for too long but it will be great to meet some of you guys before Sunday.
I will try to come by at 6:30 then.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2009, 04:37 PM   #207
Brianrg
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Unfortunately I probably can't make it tonight.
I travel a lot with work and the warden is cracking the whip tonight.
If I see a window though, i will take it.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2009, 09:17 PM   #208
volinder
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: bmw wannabe

Super sorry guys. Got tied up installing my front lip. I was cruising in the area earlier, and by the time I got home, put on the lip it was already 7:00. But I will definately be there on Sunday.
2013 M5 6 speed
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2009, 12:21 PM   #209
Brianrg
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

I did a little driving research last night.
2nd gear 102km @ 8000rpms
3rd gear 157km @ 8000rmps
4th gear 204km @ very close to 8000rmps got it upto 212 in fourth before I had to hit the brakes.

Wish I had done this exercise when my car was stock.
Curious if anyone would this and we could all see the difference.

Just realized that I did not use the M option on the track on Wednesday.
So excited to get out their, didn't even think to hit the M button.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2009, 01:06 AM   #210
Jimmer
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i with MPE

Quote:
I shift into 2nd in the work zone before 11/12 it is a tough downshift in our cars since the workzone is so short. By the apex point of 11 I am in the throttle and keep adding throttle until I am full throttle at the apex of 12 which gives me a bit more acceleration on to the straight but you have to make sure the car is pretty ballanced or the back end of the car will pull to the outside wall. But good for a couple KPH. Based on my RPM I am hitting 225ish at the end of the straight.
What breaking marker are you guys using? Guess that's one of the many reasons I went off the track, pushing too hard I guess. I'm usually 230-235 by the end of the straight. Before the mods when I was comfortable in the car I hit 241 braking between marker 2 and 3. On Thursday night when I was not feeling it at all I was braking at 4 or before doing about 225.

Nice meeting some of you btw.... crappy night for me tho I pretty much deserve the idiot award
Gone but not forgotten: 2008 E92 M3; Eisenmann Race Exhaust / Dinan 3.62 Limited Slip Differential / Dinan Software / Dinan High-Flow Intake / Dinan Camber Plates / Dinan Lowering Springs / Dinan Sway-Bars
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2009, 01:14 AM   #211
CSMRX7
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmer View Post
What breaking marker are you guys using? Guess that's one of the many reasons I went off the track, pushing too hard I guess. I'm usually 230-235 by the end of the straight. Before the mods when I was comfortable in the car I hit 241 braking between marker 2 and 3. On Thursday night when I was not feeling it at all I was braking at 4 or before doing about 225.

Nice meeting some of you btw.... crappy night for me tho I pretty much deserve the idiot award

Did it end up being just the tire? I am braking at 4 generally. I am cautious with this car in both major braking zones. I will leave the late braking to the track car
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2009, 01:31 AM   #212
Jimmer
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i with MPE

Quote:
Did it end up being just the tire? I am braking at 4 generally. I am cautious with this car in both major braking zones. I will leave the late braking to the track car
Yeah, A fact I need to remember - it's a damn street car! Yes, just the tire BUT when I took it to my tire guy who is a friend and told him I was pissed I didn't save it after hitting "something" he said "I'd think not, you've got no tread left on those things". So... I made MANY mistakes that night that I'm really kicking myself for and considering the track time I've had and the teaching I've done I REALLY should of known better. I even mentioned to Jay car was feeling like crap and totally different with the mods and I wasn't comfortable at all in it. Yet I didn't take my time to learn it and kept pushing. Then knowing my tires weren't great and not looking close enough at them was stupid as well. Kept saying to myself they can't be done already, they can handle another track day. The bird, or whatever it was, not my fault but everything else was. I'm very bitter about it if you can't tell. I'm totally taking it easy for a while.
Car out of commission for a week as the tire got a very "unsafe" buldge in the sidewall so I can't drive it until 4 new tires go on. Having to rent a vehicle so I can get to work and car suppose to be going in on Friday for the Dinan Diff so don't know if that can happen now either.
Guess I'm really gonna learn from those mistakes.....
Gone but not forgotten: 2008 E92 M3; Eisenmann Race Exhaust / Dinan 3.62 Limited Slip Differential / Dinan Software / Dinan High-Flow Intake / Dinan Camber Plates / Dinan Lowering Springs / Dinan Sway-Bars
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2009, 09:32 AM   #213
Brianrg
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmer View Post

Since it was the first time on the track, Greg had me braking at the road.
If I remember right, it is just before 4.
Probably the right decision. 241, Wow! I have a long way to go.

Sorry to hear about your car.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2009, 10:43 AM   #214
Eurotrash8
Captain
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3

So are most of you guys heading to the meet still?

Brian not sure if you got my message but I was thinking we meet at Kimmer or something and head up together?
      05-31-2009, 09:21 PM   #215
CPI
403_e39
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2003 ///M5

Garage List
thanks for everyone that showed up to the meet. I posted my pics up!

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...69#post5235669

||KWVI Coilovers||Matte Black Grille||28% Tint||Iforged Daytona||19X8 19X10||H&S Exhaust||Exotics Tuning Lip||Slimmbones Rear Diffuser II||AngelIBright V3 Angel Eyes|| Fog light covers||UUC RK6 Shift Knob||
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2009, 12:06 AM   #216
batman913
My Garage is only for Manual Transmissions or EV's
Rep
Drives: Boxster GTS 4.0, Tesla M3P

BMW Meet

Had a turnout of five E9x M3's, although only four were there for the photos. Here are some pics:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-01-2009, 03:26 PM   #217
yosepp
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Coupe-Alpine White

Sorrry guys didnt have time to go.. Looks like it turned out great! any more pics?
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2009, 08:57 PM   #218
Projectile
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3

Have any Calgarians had the dreaded M-DCT lag issue?

My M3 is due in 2 weeks with DCT and I am having second thoughts given what I've read here in the main forum . . . Any bad or reassuring news here at home?
      06-02-2009, 08:40 AM   #219
Brianrg
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Confirmed, I achieved 216 in fourth before the rev limiter kicked in.
Now I am wondering if my rev limiter was increased form 8300 - 8600 when they installed the stage 2 from Turner? Easy to find out. Need to hit the street.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2009, 10:42 PM   #220
Eurotrash8
Captain
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3

Anyone in Cowgary want to pick up a set of AW painted reflectors?

I have an extra set that are from the infamous IND which are BNIB.

I'm thinking $50 cad is pretty reasonable as you will not need to be troubled with shipping, currency, etc.

Let me know
Thanks
Kevin