BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wash, Wax, Detail, Cosmetic Maintenance & Repairs

09-23-2011, 11:42 PM   #1
Erie Von Otto
DT///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F31 Touring

Garage List
Seat getting worn despite all attempts...

My seat bolster is beginning to show signs of getting the "shine" on it. The leather was treated with Swissvax Leather Milk about the second week of ownership. I am very careful getting in and out, but I have the seat up close to the steering wheel so I rub it somewhat. Does anyone have any suggestions or ideas and is anyone else experiencing this also? I mean it is starting to bother me because I am being real meticulous with my baby and this is how the leather is repaying me??? I have owned cars with leather interiors for over five years that didnt show this kind of wear... ANY ideas/help?
      09-24-2011, 08:09 AM   #2
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla M3 Perf + '18 X3 M40i

What color leather?
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2011, 11:24 AM   #3
MuttGrunt
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: beater;)

For one, I'm willing to bet that you didn't have quite the eye for your last cars. It's easy to say that you've never had such issues, but chances are you're paying more attention to your new beautiful ride, or the leather color is less forgiving than other cars from the past.

Aside from that, wear happens. The idea of taking good care of your ride is to minimize extra wear on your car. If you think this is bad, just wait: I'm willing to bet that even if you don't track your car or do nasty burn-outs, you'll need new tires, and even if you're not red-lining your engine each time you drive it that you'll need new oil.

If you're having issues like significant build up, tearing, and heavy creasing; there's a problem. If you're getting a little shine - no problem and it just means you need to give a thorough cleaning to your leather surface. Doing so every 6 months or so should be enough to keep things right.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2011, 12:15 PM   #4
Erie Von Otto
DT///M
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Black Novillo Leather.
Mutt, I have always maintained a high level of care in my vehicles and I have always paid much attention to the wear of my leather always treat with cleaner/milk, scratches/swirls in paint only hand wash and polish plus wax/sealants, ect ect ect... But, this is the first to show signs of wear with such little use. It is very obvious on the outboard thigh and lower back (both sides). I read quite a bit through the forum where folks discussed the quality of the leather, but no one really said it was bad. Just lack of care from previous owners. That is not the case here, just showing wear sooo fast... damn...
      09-24-2011, 12:40 PM   #5
MuttGrunt
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: beater;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottoblotto View Post
Black Novillo Leather.
Mutt, I have always maintained a high level of care in my vehicles and I have always paid much attention to the wear of my leather always treat with cleaner/milk, scratches/swirls in paint only hand wash and polish plus wax/sealants, ect ect ect... But, this is the first to show signs of wear with such little use. It is very obvious on the outboard thigh and lower back (both sides). I read quite a bit through the forum where folks discussed the quality of the leather, but no one really said it was bad. Just lack of care from previous owners. That is not the case here, just showing wear sooo fast... damn...
I understand and in some ways I feel for you, but in reality you're doing great. The overwhelming majority of owner wouldn't even notice that until it's too late to fully save. Keep in mind leather needs to be cleaned somewhat often.

Also keep in mind that most side bolsters in cars aren't leather, but vinyl to give better durability while lowering cost to the manufacturer (upfront costs are lowered, and long term warranty costs go down as well).

Last, please keep in mind the urethane coating on your leather will naturally wear down and become more smooth over time which will add to the "shine" that you see.

In end, don't sweat it man! Give it a nice cleaning and put a quality protectant on it (I prefer Leather Master Protection Cream of GTechniq L1 myself). Because you're listed as Europe, you may want to look into LTT leather care products.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2011, 09:49 PM   #6
Jean-Claude
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3

It's wearing because your sliding around on it. Not intentionally, I am sure. But you are probably dragging your leg across it somewhat every time you get in and out. When I had my m3 I would move the seat all the way back every time I got out. It helps.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2011, 10:57 AM   #7
Nine
Banned
Rep
Drives: Not ZCP, FML.

I was going to start a similiar thread, it seems no matter what I do the leather is getting wrinkles and or feeling dry or looking aged in some spots. I hate wrinkels, I'm constanlty trying to massage them out.

I think I'm going to condition and clean it every month From my perspective, the leather is less forgiving than most other leathers I have encountered.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2011, 12:17 PM   #8
Erie Von Otto
DT///M
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean-Claude View Post
It's wearing because your sliding around on it. Not intentionally, I am sure. But you are probably dragging your leg across it somewhat every time you get in and out. When I had my m3 I would move the seat all the way back every time I got out. It helps.
My wifes Lincoln does that automatically. Its a great feature and her leather is no where near worn and its almost five years old. But it was semi glossy to begin with. I think I will just have to live with the fact that the seat will wear like this as I have the seat up closer to the steering wheel than other cars so I can have the right grip on the steering wheel. Oh well... I do not love the car any less for it.
      09-26-2011, 01:55 PM   #9
Templar
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottoblotto View Post
My wifes Lincoln does that automatically. Its a great feature and her leather is no where near worn and its almost five years old. But it was semi glossy to begin with. I think I will just have to live with the fact that the seat will wear like this as I have the seat up closer to the steering wheel than other cars so I can have the right grip on the steering wheel. Oh well... I do not love the car any less for it.
Amen... You can delay the severity of the wear quite a bit with proper care, but it'll still wear over time.

A little bit of wear on the seat takes nothing away from your driving experience with this car