BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

EXXEL Distributions

03-20-2012, 01:13 PM   #1
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
DSC Problem without warning light?

I will be having this problem looked into this weekend but wondered if anyone has had similar issues and what they did to fix. This is somewhat a carryover from my Engine Issue thread.

I have isolated the issue to the DSC. It seems that intermittently, the DSC will kick in. It's always at cruising speeds on the freeway where it's noticeable. It could be happening more often, possibly at lower speeds, but it would be harder to tell. Aside from something being unplugged which would undoubtedly call up a CEL, could a bad wheel speed sensor or steering angle sensor cause an issue that wouldn't trip a CEL? When the issue does occur, I can make it go away by turning off the DSC, so I know the issue lies there.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2012, 03:54 PM   #2
NOTFA5T
Facebook.com/MotorCityRally
United_States
Rep
Drives: Viper GTS, M235I, Jeep JK

Garage List
2008 E92 M3  [0.00]
take it to the dealer. You have a brand new car.
Facebook.com/MotorCityRally
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2012, 03:56 PM   #3
THE TECH
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOTFA5T View Post
take it to the dealer. You have a brand new car.
I will take it there if I have to. It would require a full day off though which isn't easy.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2012, 09:21 AM   #4
THE TECH
Rep

Garage List
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2012, 08:56 AM   #5
THE TECH
Rep

Garage List
After having this issue since the car was delivered, with the help of my good friend Mike Benvo, we finally figured out the issue. DSC was cutting in and out without warning or any lights on the dash due to the V2 steering wheel being installed incorrectly at the dealer. After determining that the steering wheel was showing an offset even when dead straight, I decided to remove the entire wheel and start checking things out. It appears that when the dealer installed the wheel when I bought the car, they didn't put the SZL back in correctly which was causing the DSC to intermittently come on and off because it was thinking that the wheels were pointed in a different direction than they really were. Once I installed the SZL and the wheel correctly and had the car recalibrated, the problem was finally gone. I am one happy camper now!
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2012, 08:38 PM   #6
Eugene-TAIWAN
Brigadier General
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE TECH View Post
After having this issue since the car was delivered, with the help of my good friend Mike Benvo, we finally figured out the issue. DSC was cutting in and out without warning or any lights on the dash due to the V2 steering wheel being installed incorrectly at the dealer. After determining that the steering wheel was showing an offset even when dead straight, I decided to remove the entire wheel and start checking things out. It appears that when the dealer installed the wheel when I bought the car, they didn't put the SZL back in correctly which was causing the DSC to intermittently come on and off because it was thinking that the wheels were pointed in a different direction than they really were. Once I installed the SZL and the wheel correctly and had the car recalibrated, the problem was finally gone. I am one happy camper now!
I have this problem once. Dealer changed my DSC for me and problem solved.

Past: Gintani stage3 M3, Cayman GTS
present: Porsche 993RWB, 964RS America,996 cupcar, 964 turbo 3.6,Macan Turbo,997GT2,930 turbo,i3, MINI JCW
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2012, 08:40 PM   #7
THE TECH
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene-TAIWAN View Post
I have this problem once. Dealer changed my DSC for me and problem solved.
It was the SZL making the DSC come on since the SZL was at the wrong position.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2012, 08:42 PM   #8
Eugene-TAIWAN
Brigadier General
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Coupe

Quote:
It was the SZL making the DSC come on since the SZL was at the wrong position.
nice

Past: Gintani stage3 M3, Cayman GTS
present: Porsche 993RWB, 964RS America,996 cupcar, 964 turbo 3.6,Macan Turbo,997GT2,930 turbo,i3, MINI JCW
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2012, 08:43 PM   #9
THE TECH
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene-TAIWAN View Post
nice
Yeah. Replacing any DSC parts wouldn't have fixed anything.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2012, 10:12 PM   #10
CarinNunnery
Rep
Drives: aodi

You have a brand new car.
      05-03-2012, 10:14 PM   #11
THE TECH
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarinNunnery View Post
You have a brand new car.
That is correct. But it wasn't BMW's fault. The dealer installed my V2 steering wheel before I picked up the car and it has had the problem since then. It wouldn't have been an issue if I didn't have them install the wheel.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2012, 11:17 AM   #12
gallian93
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 M3 cs/72 tii

Garage List
Quote:
That is correct. But it wasn't BMW's fault. The dealer installed my V2 steering wheel before I picked up the car and it has had the problem since then. It wouldn't have been an issue if I didn't have them install the wheel.
wow , you are pretty understanding... i would be be quite upset at the dealer... and assigning 100% of the blame to them...or you are being sarcastic and I didn’t get it

Correct me if i am wrong, but for what you explained the mistake was, this could have been potential very dangerous, right?
[/B]2018 BMW M3 CS (SMB) (Daily Driver)1991 E30 w S52 swap(New addition)[/B]1972 BMW 2002tii (ITS ALIVE)2013 X5M (Wife's DD) ,2009 AUDI A4 3.2 (Winter/Aupair) 2010 e90 M3 (Sold 2020),2011 X5 5.0i (Traded 2019),2007 335 IX(sold 2018),2008 Z4 MC (sold 2017 Still sad about it), 2011 X6M (sold 2015)2008 E93 M3 (Traded 2013), 2005 e46 M3(solidified affair)(wrecked 2010), 2002 330Ci (started love affair)(Sold 2009)
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2012, 11:28 AM   #13
THE TECH
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by gallian93 View Post
wow , you are pretty understanding... i would be be quite upset at the dealer... and assigning 100% of the blame to them...or you are being sarcastic and I didn’t get it

Correct me if i am wrong, but for what you explained the mistake was, this could have been potential very dangerous, right?
Well I am upset. Mostly cause I had faith that they would install the item correctly. It is 100% their fault, no doubt. This is why no one touches my car but me. They did the 1200 mile service and that's it. The issue that I have with having the dealer deal with it is twofold. One, to replicate the issue, they would have had to have a tech drive at freeway speeds in different situations to make the issue occur. Since not even my wife drives the M, I definitely don't want a dealer tech doing it. Secondly, because they are almost two hours away, I would have had to take an entire day off of work to have it checked out. Here is the kicker though and is just speculation. I would bet that even if I had them check it out, that they would have had to keep the car for several days and would have never figured out the issue. Even with the dealer tools, it took some time narrowing down the possibilities and situation before coming to the correct conclusion. Yes, this would have been covered by warranty, but I would rather figure it out myself rather than dealing with the hassle and headache of days off work and trips back and forth to the dealer. Now that I've personally reinstalled the wheel correctly and had the sensor recalibrated, it works perfectly like it should have from the beginning. I should have just done it myself from the start instead of having them install it. That was my first mistake.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2012, 08:31 PM   #14
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
Wow, glad you could resolve the issue. One is never better served by oneself I guess. Congrats on the troubleshooting. Must have been frustrating feeling something was wrong all along. Now you'll be able to fully enjoy you car .

On a side note, I guess it sort of confirms the fact that DSC can do a quick intervention without flashing the light in the cluster...
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2012, 08:38 PM   #15
THE TECH
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
Wow, glad you could resolve the issue. One is never better served by oneself I guess. Congrats on the troubleshooting. Must have been frustrating feeling something was wrong all along. Now you'll be able to fully enjoy you car .

On a side note, I guess it sort of confirms the fact that DSC can do a quick intervention without flashing the light in the cluster...
Thanks. I have been able to enjoy a sigh of relief since this was figured out.

Yes, the DSC can definitely kick in and not just quickly either. It would intervene in 5+ seconds at a time depending on the situation.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2012, 08:46 PM   #16
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks. I have been able to enjoy a sigh of relief since this was figured out.

Yes, the DSC can definitely kick in and not just quickly either. It would intervene in 5+ seconds at a time depending on the situation.
Interesting. Would be good to understand what is the DSC intervention threshold that triggers the DSC light.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2012, 08:49 PM   #17
THE TECH
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Interesting. Would be good to understand what is the DSC intervention threshold that triggers the DSC light.
Obviously with this case, we can see that the steering angle caused it. It had an 8 degree offset when the wheel was at center. This is why the DSC was normally being triggered when I was driving on a curve.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2012, 10:45 PM   #18
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Obviously with this case, we can see that the steering angle caused it. It had an 8 degree offset when the wheel was at center. This is why the DSC was normally being triggered when I was driving on a curve.
My question was more in the sense of what type of DSC intervention would or would not trigger the light to flash. I undestand in your case that the bad steering reading would prompt the computer to engage DSC but at a level considered to low by BMW to warrant a warning to the driver. So what is the level that would cause the light to flash?

The reason for me asking, is that on many threads people are saying that if you drive smooth enough on a track, you will not engage DSC/MDM. So if the light does not flash, you are doing good. My counter argument was that I could feel DSC/MDM interfere without getting the visual warning. This could lead novice drivers overdriving their cars without knowing. Your thread seems to confirm my impression about not getting the visual warning.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2012, 02:02 AM   #19
BPMSport
United_States
Rep

Drives: Harrop M3 / F10 M5 / F82 M4

Garage List
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
1990 BMW 735i Turbo  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [7.50]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
My question was more in the sense of what type of DSC intervention would or would not trigger the light to flash. I undestand in your case that the bad steering reading would prompt the computer to engage DSC but at a level considered to low by BMW to warrant a warning to the driver. So what is the level that would cause the light to flash?

The reason for me asking, is that on many threads people are saying that if you drive smooth enough on a track, you will not engage DSC/MDM. So if the light does not flash, you are doing good. My counter argument was that I could feel DSC/MDM interfere without getting the visual warning. This could lead novice drivers overdriving their cars without knowing. Your thread seems to confirm my impression about not getting the visual warning.
What THE TECH was experiencing was an unrelated issue to what you are referring to caused by improper installation of the SZL.

DSC will make slight corrections without triggering the light. It has to be a larger event to get the light to blink. If there is over or understeer detected, or if there is lateral movement or wheel spin, the light will engage. But it will engage in small quantities (say going over a decent sized pothole) without the light turning on. If you want to become a better driver driving with DSC on is a waste of time. Even US MDM mode is far too invasive in my opinion. Euro MDM is where it's at. When I coded Euro MDM mode to his car, the problem actually subsided in that mode. This shows the recalibration of the DSC system for a more spirted, exciting drive.

-----| Like us on Facebook | Instagram || Tuning Information | Remote Coding |-----
----Visit us at www.BPMSport.com - Emotion. Driven. | Toll Free: (888) 557-5133----
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2012, 05:55 AM   #20
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Benvo View Post
What THE TECH was experiencing was an unrelated issue to what you are referring to caused by improper installation of the SZL.

DSC will make slight corrections without triggering the light. It has to be a larger event to get the light to blink. If there is over or understeer detected, or if there is lateral movement or wheel spin, the light will engage. But it will engage in small quantities (say going over a decent sized pothole) without the light turning on. If you want to become a better driver driving with DSC on is a waste of time. Even US MDM mode is far too invasive in my opinion. Euro MDM is where it's at. When I coded Euro MDM mode to his car, the problem actually subsided in that mode. This shows the recalibration of the DSC system for a more spirted, exciting drive.
Thanks for clarifying Mike . You already have me sold on the Euro MDM .

Sorry, don't want to

Last edited by CanAutM3; 05-09-2012 at 07:55 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2012, 09:51 AM   #21
THE TECH
Rep

Garage List
Euro MDM is nice!
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2012, 09:52 PM   #22
BPMSport
United_States
Rep

Drives: Harrop M3 / F10 M5 / F82 M4

Garage List
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
1990 BMW 735i Turbo  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [7.50]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Euro MDM is nice!
I love it... cant believe that the car comes with such a dumbed down version!

-----| Like us on Facebook | Instagram || Tuning Information | Remote Coding |-----
----Visit us at www.BPMSport.com - Emotion. Driven. | Toll Free: (888) 557-5133----
Appreciate 0