BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

EXXEL Distributions

05-19-2009, 07:40 PM   #1
nguyenbk
Private
Rep
Drives: 09 SG E92 w/ Fox Red

Tapping an Aftermarket Multichannel Amp into OEM

Hey Guys, Im new to the forum and have been trying to find an answer to this question. Can i tap a new multichannel amplifier (Alpine MRA-F350 50Wx5) straight into the Factory Premium Amplifier to add more power to the overall system? most of the other threads suggest putting processors and equalizers but are they necessary? I just want to give the speakers a little more kick because i am transferring my subwoofer system (Alpine 12" Type-R) from another car over and dont want the bass to overpower the music. Thanks in advance for the help

I have the 09 Enhanced Premium System if this helps.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2009, 08:20 PM   #2
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by nguyenbk View Post
Hey Guys, Im new to the forum and have been trying to find an answer to this question. Can i tap a new multichannel amplifier (Alpine MRA-F350 50Wx5) straight into the Factory Premium Amplifier to add more power to the overall system? most of the other threads suggest putting processors and equalizers but are they necessary? I just want to give the speakers a little more kick because i am transferring my subwoofer system (Alpine 12" Type-R) from another car over and dont want the bass to overpower the music. Thanks in advance for the help

I have the 09 Enhanced Premium System if this helps.
You should realize that your Enhanced Premium System has a 825W max, 9 channel amplifier in it. Replacing that amp with a 450W max, 5-channel F350 amplifier will not give you more power, it will take away power and channel outputs.

Not only a processor is necessary with the Premium System, right now is required if you want to add another amp to drive the whole system. Even if you want to just add a sub to your system you still require a dedicated high power LOC to handle the OEM amp outputs.

The OEM amp in the Enhanced Premium System has digital MOST inputs, so it is not an amp that can be replaced with aftermarket, yet. My recommendation is to wait until one of the new MOST>RCA converter devices hit the market in a couple of months so that you have way of replacing this OEM amp completely and easier with much better choices than the F350.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2009, 11:33 PM   #3
nguyenbk
Private
Rep
Drives: 09 SG E92 w/ Fox Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
You should realize that your Enhanced Premium System has a 825W max, 9 channel amplifier in it. Replacing that amp with a 450W max, 5-channel F350 amplifier will not give you more power, it will take away power and channel outputs.

Not only a processor is necessary with the Premium System, right now is required if you want to add another amp to drive the whole system. Even if you want to just add a sub to your system you still require a dedicated high power LOC to handle the OEM amp outputs.

The OEM amp in the Enhanced Premium System has digital MOST inputs, so it is not an amp that can be replaced with aftermarket, yet. My recommendation is to wait until one of the new MOST>RCA converter devices hit the market in a couple of months so that you have way of replacing this OEM amp completely and easier with much better choices than the F350.
I meant can i add more power by combining both the stock and aftermarket amps before it goes out to the speakers?
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2009, 05:23 AM   #4
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
I meant can i add more power by combining both the stock and aftermarket amps before it goes out to the speakers?
I don't think that I can provide the answer to whatever you are looking to do.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2009, 08:31 AM   #5
Dollar2
Rep
Drives: 09 E93 ///M3

Quote:
I don't think it is likely. You might be able to bridge each amp section with a section from an aftermarket amp but it won't give you any more volume. You'll get more headroom which will result in cleaner sound at the same high volume. You will want to look into replacing the drivers with ones that are capable of more power as well.

2009 E93 ///M3 Jerez Black/Black Leather, 19" Wheels, DCT, Premium, Cold Weather, Technology iPod/Sirius
Appreciate 0