BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

Mporium BMW

07-27-2010, 10:04 PM   #1
deletedelete
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: m

Garage List
So my e93 isnt allowed on the track?

I wanted to track the 335, but now I have the m. I was all ready to start organizing some track days then saw that the e93 isnt allowed on most tracks. Im specifically talking about summitt point raceway and the cca events. Please tell me I can track the car.

I haven't been on the track in ages, but if I cant track the best performing car ive had so far, then im probably gonna faint, really, ill actually pass out.

Last edited by deletedelete; 07-27-2010 at 10:44 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2010, 11:00 PM   #2
signes
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991 GT3 RS

Some groups allow verts, but BMWCCA events do not. Personally I think it would be nuts to take a convertible to a track, either soft or hard top, without a cage. Just not worth the risk. One of the reasons why I went from an E46 M3 vert to my E90.
      07-27-2010, 11:17 PM   #3
deletedelete
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2010, 11:21 PM   #4
drivendriver
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 E83 X3

PCA Potomac might accept you. These are their rules:
All open top cars (e.g., cabriolets) and all cars that exceed the modifications permitted for the “Stock“, “Prepared”, and “Spec” classes per PCA club race
rules (i.e., would be classified “Super Classes”) must have roll bars that meet PCA club race specs for materials, design, installation, and height. Top of the main hoop TF must be at least two inches above the driver’s/passenger’s helmet when seated in the normal driving position. (Details in Appendix A of Club Race rules.) Integral roll
TF
bar in the Boxster and pop-up roll bar in the 996 cabriolet are acceptable. 914’s, Targas, and Boxsters with hard top in place do not require roll bars. (Note: Roll bars in cars not requiring roll bars are not subject to the above requirements, but must be firmly secured to the chassis.)
If they consider the 996's pop-up roll bar as acceptable, they might accept your car (I assume that the E93 has a pop-up roll bar in addition to the retractable hard top). They have an event at Summit Point August 13-15, with free tech inspection one week before. See pcapotomac.org for more information.
      07-28-2010, 10:13 AM   #5
Subw00er
Bates '08 Interlagos Launch
United_States
Rep
Drives: 440i xGC, ZL1, JCW

It depends more on the club you join than the track you go to. Most clubs require you pass a broomstick test (they place a pole from the top of the windshield to the highest support in the rear and your helmet must be under the pole. I could never track my s2000 for this reason - it wouldnt pass, no matter how much I slouched!
      08-04-2010, 06:31 PM   #6
deletedelete
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
My e93 is allowed at summitt point racetrack and porsche events.

But I cant believe its not allowed at cca events, since the cca events are held at the same track where my car is allowed anyways, lame.

Now to all those coupe owners who brag that on paper the vert is a half second slower, I challenge you! I bet I can get my vert around the track faster then your coupe because times on paper dont mean anything if you cant drive.

(im only referring to the few guys on the forums who busted my balls over the vert, not everyone or every coupe owner)
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2010, 06:36 PM   #7
JJM335
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3

Garage List
2008 E92 M3  [0.00]
There was and "incident" at a CCA event a few years back and they have not allowed drop tops since.
Appreciate 0