BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

EXXEL Distributions

10-20-2012, 10:19 PM   #133
BimmerRob08
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3, Space Gray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Port Canaveral M3 driver View Post
I walked out of my condo in Miami to go to work at 3am Sat morning. As I approached my car, I noticed two guys in a car parked next to mine. As I walked up they drove off? I opened my car door and there was a big dude 6 02/ 235 lbs sitting there with my steering wheel in pieces, FTF? I was carrying my old 357 Magnum. I stepped back yanked out my gun and told him to get the F out of my car or I would shoot him dead. He had a very large craftsman screw driver in his hand. I told him if he got out with that in his hand I would blow his frigging head off his neck. He fell out into the ground. Just then Blue Lights every where? Cops were already watching and waiting for them to move the car so they could be charged with auto theft vs auto burg. Seems a neighbor had seen them and reported them for being in our parking lot. Cop asked me why I did not shoot the perp? I said stealing my car is not punishable by death. The next day when I saw the damage to my cars interior, I wished I had shot him. LOL

In some states, NM for example, I've been told the car is an extention of the house but I think one would have to be in the car and threatend to justify blowing away some scum bag. Would you have been charged for killing this fool in Florida if you would have shot him from outside the car? I mean your life wasn't theatend but your property was about to get stolen. Just wondering. You should have though, but then you would have to clean bits of brains from your car! Good job though putting this basterd on his knees. Good thing the cops where already there.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2012, 02:28 PM   #134
JuiceDude
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2_dyc View Post
Unfortunately a few days ago, my M3 got stolen. Looks like the thieves have taken advantage of the security flaw on the OBD Port which allows key cloning on the spot. It's scary to see how quick it was for them to take my car.

I believe BMW has a firmware update [details here] to fix the OBD port when your car is locked. So would advise you to get that booked it asap. Have really lost faith in BMW now, which is such a shame because i loved the M3. To make matters worst, BMW warranty won't even give me a refund for the remainder of the 6 months I had left as I made a claim this year in May. Part of their policy apparently.

Now looking to get a C63 AMG.

Here's some footage from my CCTV.

Part 1 - Cloning my key!

Part 2 - Taking my car!

Dan
Hello,

Really sorry for your loss. How did the robbers open the car door? I thought the deadlock system prevents the door from opening, or they have another method for that.

This is really bad I feel for you!
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2012, 11:32 AM   #135
sagebrushbob
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 Convertible

Quote:
I walked out of my condo in Miami to go to work at 3am Sat morning. As I approached my car, I noticed two guys in a car parked next to mine. As I walked up they drove off? I opened my car door and there was a big dude 6 02/ 235 lbs sitting there with my steering wheel in pieces, FTF? I was carrying my old 357 Magnum. I stepped back yanked out my gun and told him to get the F out of my car or I would shoot him dead. He had a very large craftsman screw driver in his hand. I told him if he got out with that in his hand I would blow his frigging head off his neck. He fell out into the ground. Just then Blue Lights every where? Cops were already watching and waiting for them to move the car so they could be charged with auto theft vs auto burg. Seems a neighbor had seen them and reported them for being in our parking lot. Cop asked me why I did not shoot the perp? I said stealing my car is not punishable by death. The next day when I saw the damage to my cars interior, I wished I had shot him. LOL
In California you would be in jail, and the carjacker would be filing his lawsuit-- and, you wouldn't have had the satisfaction of shooting him!
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2012, 01:15 PM   #136
TVMA Doc
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3, Jerez Black

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerRob08 View Post
In some states, NM for example, I've been told the car is an extention of the house but I think one would have to be in the car and threatend to justify blowing away some scum bag. Would you have been charged for killing this fool in Florida if you would have shot him from outside the car? I mean your life wasn't theatend but your property was about to get stolen. Just wondering. You should have though, but then you would have to clean bits of brains from your car! Good job though putting this basterd on his knees. Good thing the cops where already there.
There are only a few states (Texas comes to mind) where it is legal to deend property. The OP would have been in serious trouble if he shot the guy for trying to steal the car.

The screw driver in hand and any threatening movements can suddenly revert the situation back to self-defense. He acted 100% proper in this situation.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2012, 01:18 PM   #137
TVMA Doc
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by sagebrushbob View Post
In California you would be in jail, and the carjacker would be filing his lawsuit-- and, you wouldn't have had the satisfaction of shooting him!
Well, not exactly. If you were carrying your hand gun in a manner that was legal-your property, with a valid concealed carry permit, unloaded locked concealed carry, eetc. then you aren't in trouble for the gun.

Large man with screw driver destroying the car that you are about to get into seems to fit "fear of my life/self-defense" EVEN in LA county and the SF Bay. NOT shooting the guy unless he made a threatening move shows the proper restraint, but had the guy made a move that made you fear for your life, you can legally shoot him even in CA.

I doubt that many DAs would file charges, although you can GUARANTEE a nuisance suit from the perp's surviving family. That's just how the US, and CA in particular, work.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2012, 01:45 PM   #138
Tony B
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3, MW, ZCP, 6MT

Safe or not

There is plenty of informed discussion here (Mike Benvo, I am relying on you...).

I have 2 E9x.

One is an E92 M3, built in October 2011, therefore supposedly safe according to BMW. The other is an E91 330d, built in June 2010, therefore supposedly at risk, according to BMW.

I have an OBD diagnostics interface, which I can connect to my phone, so I thought I would check things out, and this is what I found.

In both cars, the OBD port still has power going to it when the ignition is off, and the doors are locked.

BUT....

There is no communication to the ECU unless the ignition is ON.

Therefore....I assume (hope) that this means the key coding thing cannot be done, without a key being present in the vehicle (if comfort access) or in the slot, if normal.

The 330d was exactly the same as the M3, ECU communication was only present with the key in the slot and the ignition ON. This car was serviced about 5 weeks ago so maybe it is on the latest software, or maybe ECU comms are not required for the key cloning?

If the latter, that makes me nervous about my M3....(I was already nervous about the 330d).

So - does the key cloning method depend upon an active comms link to the ECU?
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2012, 03:04 PM   #139
Port Canaveral M3 driver
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13 E92 M3 & 05 BMW R1200GS

Garage List
Thanks for the input concerning protecting our POV's when some punk is going to damage/steal our rides while we sleep in our beds. Yes, I have a concealed permit to carry. Actually these permits are very easy to obtain for the average citizen plus about $135.00 in fees. I do not recommend every person get one! When you use a tool, you have to be careful you don't injure yourself or others accidentally with that tool. Guns are tools. Guns are very unforgiving, make one little mistake and you might kill a family member sitting in the next room. I recommend stun guns for those that are not comfortable with guns. Tear gas and pepper spray can blow back in your face if you spray the perp while he is up wind! This would disable you and not the criminal! There is a big case going on in this state right now where a person used a gun to protect himself during an unauthorized (by police dispatch) intervention he got himself into during a neighbor hood watch program. Only use DEADLY FORCE when your life is in danger and you can prove it in court later when the perps family sues you, (Thanks TVMA DOC, you are spot on). Yes, I could have taken a life that night. From the police view the screw driver looked threatening and it was. I choose to try to use VERBAL COMBAT, with the gun as my back up if the suspect decided to try and take me out. "get down" "don't Fn move" "I will kill you to protect my self" etc. You all get the picture. If you go with a gun, you must train, train and train. You must know how to perform a combat reload if there is a gang nearby and they come to the perps aid. You also have a huge responsibility to store the damn thing when not in use and still get to it when you need it! Children always know where the guns is! Never forget this. Later, I love this website, so much good information and really nice people willing to share what they know about these wonderful cars! I have learned so much from all of you. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2012, 10:46 AM   #140
JoM3z
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 CP XDrive G82 M4 - SSG

Garage List
Wow, I'm devastated just watching the video. I hope they catch those perps. Sorry about your car dude...
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2012, 10:57 AM   #141
TVMA Doc
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks for the input concerning protecting our POV's when some punk is going to damage/steal our rides while we sleep in our beds. Yes, I have a concealed permit to carry. Actually these permits are very easy to obtain for the average citizen plus about $135.00 in fees. I do not recommend every person get one! When you use a tool, you have to be careful you don't injure yourself or others accidentally with that tool. Guns are tools. Guns are very unforgiving, make one little mistake and you might kill a family member sitting in the next room. I recommend stun guns for those that are not comfortable with guns. Tear gas and pepper spray can blow back in your face if you spray the perp while he is up wind! This would disable you and not the criminal! There is a big case going on in this state right now where a person used a gun to protect himself during an unauthorized (by police dispatch) intervention he got himself into during a neighbor hood watch program. Only use DEADLY FORCE when your life is in danger and you can prove it in court later when the perps family sues you, (Thanks TVMA DOC, you are spot on). Yes, I could have taken a life that night. From the police view the screw driver looked threatening and it was. I choose to try to use VERBAL COMBAT, with the gun as my back up if the suspect decided to try and take me out. "get down" "don't Fn move" "I will kill you to protect my self" etc. You all get the picture. If you go with a gun, you must train, train and train. You must know how to perform a combat reload if there is a gang nearby and they come to the perps aid. You also have a huge responsibility to store the damn thing when not in use and still get to it when you need it! Children always know where the guns is! Never forget this. Later, I love this website, so much good information and really nice people willing to share what they know about these wonderful cars! I have learned so much from all of you. Thanks.
The concealed carry permit may be easy to obtain for those of you in the United States, but for those of us not so fortunate it can be impossible. I think that it's just as bad in most of Europe as it is here in the People's Republik of Kalifornia.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2012, 10:28 AM   #142
SROC3
The limit of adhesion is my home.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Like a Boss.

gosh. That's terrible.....
      12-07-2012, 12:45 PM   #143
timsm3
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Sorry about that man...
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2012, 12:52 PM   #144
m3an
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVMA Doc View Post
There are only a few states (Texas comes to mind) where it is legal to deend property. The OP would have been in serious trouble if he shot the guy for trying to steal the car.

The screw driver in hand and any threatening movements can suddenly revert the situation back to self-defense. He acted 100% proper in this situation.
exactly; when thers a big 6'2" guy on the ground dead w/ a large screwdriver, you're def justified as there's no one there to say otherwise
Appreciate 0