BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

European Auto Source (EAS)
Closed Thread

04-01-2011, 07:10 PM   #243
BPMSport
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: Harrop M3 / F10 M5 / F82 M4

Garage List
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
1990 BMW 735i Turbo  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [7.50]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by xchosun1x View Post
i am definitely up for it and jeremy has noted that he will participate in the challenge as well.

I am currently awaiting contact from mike to set up a good time frame
and see if that works with the OE/Gintani people

Stay tuned
Thanks
We're planning on next Friday. Location TBD..

I have contacted Alex at Gintani to see if that date works for him. Alex/Jeremy, please let me know.

-----| Like us on Facebook | Instagram || Tuning Information | Remote Coding |-----
----Visit us at www.BPMSport.com - Emotion. Driven. | Toll Free: (888) 557-5133----
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2011, 07:27 PM   #244
808MGuy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 M3

So, lets recap all 12 pages of this thread (17 if you count the original thread too) to date into a nice short one that everyone can read in less than the 3 days it would take to sift through all the garbage.

- Gintani customer posts a dyno chart showing that his new OE tune got 28 HP more than his previous tune.
- Previous tune turns out to be from Powerchip.
- Powerchip says the dyno charts were manipulated to show the gains posted.
- Other parties jump in and say the charts had to have been doctored because the gains are too linear across the RPM band.
- Powerchip offers to refund customer for Powerchip tune if an independent dyno shows that the gains over the Powerchip tune are true.
- 8 more pages of rants by both sides basically saying the same crap over and over but no response from OE or Gintani
- Gintani finally responds saying they didn't do anything shady.
- Powerchip visits Gintani to prove how the dyno could be manipulated.
- Gintani not happy.
- 2 more pages of pointless arguing.
- The customer and 2 tuners finally agree to get it on at an independent site. Scheduling shootout for next Friday.

Everybody got that
      04-01-2011, 07:47 PM   #245
BPMSport
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [7.50]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 808MGuy View Post
So, lets recap all 12 pages of this thread (17 if you count the original thread too) to date into a nice short one that everyone can read in less than the 3 days it would take to sift through all the garbage.

- Gintani customer posts a dyno chart showing that his new OE tune got 28 HP more than his previous tune.
- Other parties jump in and say the charts had to have been doctored because the gains are too linear across the RPM band.
- Powerchip offers to refund customer for Powerchip tune if an independent dyno shows that the gains over the Powerchip tune are true.
- 8 more pages of rants by both sides basically saying the same crap over and over but no response from OE or Gintani
- Gintani not happy.
- The customer and 2 tuners finally agree to get it on at an independent site. Scheduling shootout for next Friday.

Everybody got that
Alex at Gintani texted me and informed me that they will not have time to address this until after Mfest. I've made my attempts to schedule, I am not going to chase anyone. So please let me know what day is suitable and we can solidify that date. It's in their hands now to schedule with me or they can call Powerchip directly to schedule.

I have spoken with the OP and he has agreed that no one is allowed to plug into his OBD port or touch his ECU until the baseline dyno pulls are made with the current tune installed.

Thank you
Mike

-----| Like us on Facebook | Instagram || Tuning Information | Remote Coding |-----
----Visit us at www.BPMSport.com - Emotion. Driven. | Toll Free: (888) 557-5133----
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2011, 08:48 PM   #246
m33
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 VT650 MCB Individual

why should Gintani have any say at all over what the OP does to his car ? The OP wants the dyno test , so how can Gintani stop it ?
Do they think they own the OP's car ?
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2011, 09:23 PM   #247
808MGuy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by m33 View Post
why should Gintani have any say at all over what the OP does to his car ? The OP wants the dyno test , so how can Gintani stop it ?
Do they think they own the OP's car ?
Because he needs Gintani to flash it back after the PC tune gets loaded unless he plans to keep the PC tune. PC did offer to buy the OE flash so they could load both files without Ginatani's participation earlier in the thread when Gintani was still quiet.
      04-01-2011, 09:47 PM   #248
J08M3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 COUPE

I really didn't expect a true test would ever go down. Someone always has some sort of excuse. Well... Let's just hope I'm wrong and it does...
      04-01-2011, 09:49 PM   #249
gthal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

If I were Gintani and had nothing to hide I would be all over this shootout. The not enough time excuse is very telling IMO. There is always enough time when protecting the reputation/goodwill of your business is at stake.
2015 M4 | Austin Yellow | DCT
2012 MB C63AMG | 2011 E92 M3 | 2010 E92 M3
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2011, 09:50 PM   #250
xchosun1x
Track Duty
United_States
Rep
Drives: Track build 08 E92 M3 DCT

after M fest? =/
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2011, 09:50 PM   #251
klammer
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 11 spc gry m3 e90, 19 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by J08M3 View Post
I really didn't expect a true test would ever go down. Someone always has some sort of excuse. Well... Let's just hope I'm wrong and it does...
Your not wrong and it won't. Someone please make me eat my words... Please
      04-01-2011, 10:48 PM   #252
Draff1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Silverstone M3 Coupe

Quote:

- Gintani not happy.

Everybody got that
You forgot to mention that according to the thread the OE tune is ALLEGEDLY a "stolen" PC tune. I think that's important information given the claims of major HP gains of OE over PC.

Seems unrealistic that a company like Power Chip could be upstaged to that degree by an ex-employee tinkering with their own tune. Custom tune versus standard tune argument notwithstanding, it's not at all logical.

According to this thread and others, Powerchip is a company with engineers and employees and a distribution network. OE is ALLEGEDLY one ex-employee of PC working out of Gintani's shop.

I have absolutely no stake either way as I don't own either company's products. I've met Alex and he was a real hospitable guy with a lot of passion for his work. I liked him and his operation. I think we may simply be experiencing growing pains of a small business.
      04-02-2011, 12:26 AM   #253
BPMSport
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [7.50]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draff1 View Post
You forgot to mention that according to the thread the OE tune is ALLEGEDLY a "stolen" PC tune. I think that's important information given the claims of major HP gains of OE over PC.

Seems unrealistic that a company like Power Chip could be upstaged to that degree by an ex-employee tinkering with their own tune. Custom tune versus standard tune argument notwithstanding, it's not at all logical.

According to this thread and others, Powerchip is a company with engineers and employees and a distribution network. OE is ALLEGEDLY one ex-employee of PC working out of Gintani's shop.

I have absolutely no stake either way as I don't own either company's products. I've met Alex and he was a real hospitable guy with a lot of passion for his work. I liked him and his operation. I think we may simply be experiencing growing pains of a small business.
I didn't forget it, I left it out along with a number of other details. Trying not to stir the hornets nest and keep it professional in lieu of these facts that you mentioned.

You are correct, that OE Tuning is a one man operation and the head is an ex Powerchip employee.

Powerchip does have a wide distribution network with a number of highly qualified and specialized engineers.

I wanted to give Gintani/OE the opportunity to be there on Friday - however - based on the latest evolution of this thread, we may proceed without them to verify the results.

James - will talk to you early next week for the final arrangements. I have a third party dyno operator that is willing to host the event.

Appreciate 0
      04-02-2011, 04:03 AM   #254
persian54
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M760/G83M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthal View Post
If I were Gintani and had nothing to hide I would be all over this shootout. The not enough time excuse is very telling IMO. There is always enough time when protecting the reputation/goodwill of your business is at stake.
yes and no though

cause mfest is a pretty big damn event... lots of cars need to be readied etc

but this is all my theory though..
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2011, 05:49 AM   #255
Kyoshi71
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 M3 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike@Powerchip View Post
Alex at Gintani texted me and informed me that they will not have time to address this until after Mfest
Pathetic. Hey Alex, if you are reading this, you should understand that you and your boy Jeremy are truly shooting yourselves in the foot by doing this.

Who do you think is going to be at Mfest anyway, people who DONT know about this?

2010 E92 M3|Silverstone II|M-DCT|NCSW|2MT|ZCW|ZPP|ZTP|302|507|Gas Guzzler Tax
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2011, 10:38 AM   #256
rbk1115
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Acuras & BMWs

Garage List
After reading this entire thread, all I can say is that this situation needs to be resolved ASAP, regardless of MFest... It is in the best interest of all vendors to resolve issues before facing potential customers at MFest.

2009 BMW M3 Sedan
2013 BMW 535i M Sport Sedan
2014 Mazda3 i Touring Sedan
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2011, 11:42 AM   #257
duk
///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW/FR 6MT E92

It's gonna be all over M-Fest if not resolved prior.
      04-04-2011, 12:48 PM   #258
pumper206
80 Deep, We All Eat!!!
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 2009 AW E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyoshi71 View Post
To be completely fair, it's not like the OE tune is going to cost you power or even equal the stock tune. It's going to be an improvement over stock regardless, so you really shouldnt let this thread sway you to that degree.

We all know that the standard OE tune for our car is good. What's in question here is the dyno chart, which if manipulated, would point to shady business practice more than anything else. So why would they do it?? Simple; if a customer is on the fence between 2 or 3 different tunes and the dyno shows a (figuratively speaking) 20hp gain @ 3,000, the decision isnt really going to be so difficult and that would drive business.

Quite frankly, if anything ever comes out of this thread, it should be that even with the most common vendors that float around this forum, information provided should be questioned.

In short, whatever is proven by this thread doest help/hurt PC, OE, Gintani or anyone else specifically.....It hurts everyone because trust is gone.
Good point. I guess its the "shady business practice" that dissuades me from wanting there tune. If true, it just hurts my feelings that they would try to trick us like that... Lol. We'll see what happens.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2011, 12:57 PM   #259
pumper206
80 Deep, We All Eat!!!
Taiwan
Rep

Quote:

- Gintani not happy.

Everybody got that
Good summary of 17 pages of info . Funny how out of 17 pages of posts, you have to cut out that much BS to get to the real info .
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2011, 01:00 PM   #260
pumper206
80 Deep, We All Eat!!!
Taiwan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyoshi71 View Post
Pathetic. Hey Alex, if you are reading this, you should understand that you and your boy Jeremy are truly shooting yourselves in the foot by doing this.

Who do you think is going to be at Mfest anyway, people who DONT know about this?
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2011, 02:35 PM   #261
StrifeM3
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13E92 MCB M3 18 F80M3 Atlantis

Garage List
2018 BMW M3  [0.00]
2013 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by duk View Post
It's gonna be all over M-Fest if not resolved prior.

Quote:
Originally Posted by e1000 View Post
After buying the M, I now consider oil companies drug dealers.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2011, 02:38 PM   #262
saeedg48
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche 991.1 GT3

Thumbs up

Quote:

- Gintani not happy.

Everybody got that
good summary.

2015 Porsche 991.1 GT3
2015 F80 M3 -- Individual; Space Grey
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2011, 08:08 PM   #263
duk
///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW/FR 6MT E92

this thread hasn't been update in awhile, any status?
      04-06-2011, 08:31 PM   #264
powertrip
Scared money don't make money.
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3 DCT

Garage List
2009 E92 M3  [0.00]
I was at Gintani today having Raz help me package my MXP exhaust. These guys are seriously up to their elbows in paying jobs right now. They're actually working on pushing two big projects out in the next couple days.

I suspect that Jeremy will be willing to participate once MFest is finished.

On another note, I no longer have a car that can benefit from Gintani or OE's services, but that didn't stop Alex from ordering lunch for me, or stop Raz from helping me package that pain in the ass of an exhaust. Call me a fanboy, or Gintani puppet, but to me that is excellent service.

Cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by duk View Post
this thread hasn't been update in awhile, any status?
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread