BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Video + PC Gaming / Computing

02-19-2009, 06:04 PM   #1
wuufer001
Colonel
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 M/T

Garage List
2006 325i  [9.34]
Restore Vista HELP!!!

hey all,
i'm kinda of in a problem here.
i have a sony vaio vista laptop.
my disc drive is not working and i have no recovery discs.
so now i want to restore windows vista.

have been to the vaio support website and it is saying that if i want to do a "complete syste restore" i need to have restore discs but since i don't have and can't create, the only option i have is "Restore C: drive". since i only have 1 drive (C on my laptop, will there be a difference for me if i choose the "complete syste restore" or "Restore C: drive"?

please help

thanks in advance
      02-20-2009, 04:34 PM   #2
wuufer001
Colonel
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 M/T

Garage List
2006 325i  [9.34]
Quote:
Originally Posted by got psi View Post
You are kinda stuck if you want to restore vista without using a disk. I have a Vista ISO that you can mount, but even then, it wouldnt work because the computer needs to reboot to go through the process. My suggestion is for you to a) fix your disk drive b) run to best buy and get a cheap external USB based dvd drive and get the restore up and running.
after going onto the website i followed their instruction, restoring the C:.
don't know what the big difference between that and restoring the whole system though, it looked the same to me
everything clean and fresh now but have to get rid of the useless pre-installed programs

thanks for the suggestions though.
      02-20-2009, 06:01 PM   #3
Xiaofeng
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007.5 E90 335xi Montego/Lemon

Garage List
2007 E90 335xi  [0.00]
1991 325iX  [0.00]
The Sony Vaios don't come with any restore CDs/DVDs, but have all the restore info on a separate partition on your hard drive. The "Restore C:" function you ran is the same thing as "Restore System", in that it will erase everything in your C: drive and reinstall Vista and anything else the computer originally came with.

After you run the Restore process, there should be a Sony program in Windows that lets you make a set of Restore Discs. I would urge you to make yourself a set and keep them somewhere safe, so in the case your hard drive physically fails, you can replace the hard drive and still restore your laptop.

Likewise, you can also go to the Sony Parts and Accessories website and purchase a set of Restore Discs for around $20, but making them yourself is only about $0.50, and a lot faster.

Hope that helps!

Appreciate 0