BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

European Auto Source (EAS)

11-28-2012, 05:19 PM   #1
bsmack
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 M3

e9x M3 vs Audi TT-RS

So I've had an Audi TT-RS for just over a year now, and while I've been casually window shopping I haven't really wanted to make a change. That was until a friend gave me a ride in his 335i. The car was just so much more...comfortable. It had so many more features than my current ride, and while it was slower, still had enough power to really knock you back in your seat (stage 2).

I'm starting to slowly come to the conclusion that the main reasons I bought the TT-RS (absurd power and awd) are no longer that important to me. AWD isn't the second coming of Christ during a snowstorm and I'm not going up to the mountains to ski. I want a backseat and a comfy car with enough power to not bore myself to death. MPG is kind of a bummer.

So what do you guys think? Obviously being on an M3 forum people are going to be a little biased, but your opinions are definitely welcome. One thing I considered doing was waiting for the new M3/M4 to come out, but it seems like a BMW launch has never gone 100% smooth before and I would rather wait a model year or two for them to work the kinks out.

If anyone's interested, here are pics of my car:
View post on imgur.com
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2012, 06:47 PM   #2
Onurleft
Captain
Rep
Drives: RPM

If your really concerned about MPG, try out a 335iS. My roommate just picked up an 11' E90 6 speed and the dealership had a beautiful 335is 6 speed in the showroom - Alpine on black. One of these would be nice with an LSD, downpipes - tune (380whp).

To give you an idea going 70-85mph my friends M3 returned 20mpg. I would hands down only choose the thoroughbred but the 335iS is nice if you want the daily driver aspect/torque factor/comfort
      11-28-2012, 10:18 PM   #3
SouthShoreM3
Passes everything but the gas station
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 M3

OP I feel lucky enough to own both these vehicles right now. The M3 I have had since 2010 and is an e90. I love this car and is something I am going to try and keep for as long as I can. I bought the RS in January of 2012 because I wanted the security of AWD, better fuel economy and something that I would enjoy as a DD and be able to track. Both of these cars do these very well, but I have to say the M3 does everything but the gas mileage better.

My RS is also a stage 2 and the M3 is SC. Granted the RS was way cheaper to modify and the power gains were far greater for the dollar value. As you know you get some outdated technology in the RS and the idrive is simply the best product out on the market to date (in my opinion at least).

You will be fine in the winter months depending on where you live with the RWD M. Get good snow tires and know of course what that throttle can do. I live in MA and an avid skier and I had no issues with the M in snow. Granted I feel a tad safer in the AWD in heavy snow.

Both have there benefits and specialness about them. The M just has more of that. But, the stage 2 RS is very quick and capable on the street or track, especially if you do the gen4 haladex controller to better modulate the power between the 4 wheels.

The TT has pointless space, BACKSEATS especially! So stupid and pointless unless all your friends are midgets or you only transport small children. Even then it's a bitch getting out of the back.

It's up to you. If you can keep the RS and get a CPO M do it! You will be very happy.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2012, 10:58 PM   #4
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Double Vanos'd Civic-M3

You're concerned about MPG in a TT-RS? If this is the case, the M3 is not your car. Your TT-RS should consistently get high 20s mpgs on reasonable-conservative driving, the best I can do in the M3 is 23-24 mpgs.

Backseats, ditto, especially if you get the M3 sedan, if you need it, the M3 is generous, but not that roomy, it's very deceiving. The middle seat is useless. I would check out a E90 at the dealer before thinking the M3 sedan is that much bigger in the back.

Regarding AWD, I use to own an AWD car (Evo 8). In the snow, i agree, AWD gets great power-on traction. In heavy snow, a sports car with AWD is useless even with proper tires, the solution is just don't go out. Finally, most people (who drive big SUVs,etc) has a false sense of security with AWD in the snow thinking they can also stop on a dime. AWD does nothing for you in terms of braking. The M3 in snow is manageable with the proper tires. I drive with the traction control on and the car has plenty of power-on traction. When the car gets stuck, you just turn the traction control off and it'll spin its way loose.

Finally, regarding comfort, the M3 with EDC is pretty comfortable. Overall, I don't think the M3 is THAT comfortable. It's still pretty stiff, but the seats and EDC helps soften the ride, but in no way is it like a E-Class. I've never driven a TT-RS, but I imagine it's pretty rough, likely tuned similar to my old Evo 8.

In short, i think you should keep your TT-RS. That car is a great bang for the buck in terms of power, style, speed, and versatility (albeit a useless backseat). If mpgs is a concern M3 is not your car. As others have suggested the 335 gets decent mpgs, but not that much better either if you have a lead foot.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2012, 08:03 AM   #5
bsmack
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthShoreM3 View Post
words
What's up? I was actually going to shoot you a text asking you this same question (you PM'd me over on vortex). I'd be very interested to check out your m3 sometime to compare so maybe I'll head down to your neck of the woods if we both get a free moment!

My RS is currently stage 1, so I'm very curious to see what the added DP does to the power of the car for stage 2.

This is absolutely what I was looking for, your post came off very unbiased and informative. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdosu View Post
words
I'm concerned with "downgrading" my MPG from my TT-RS to an m3. If mpg was my biggest concern then yeah, I never would have gotten a TT-RS.

The backseat will be used for at most 2-3 hour long trips, but most trips with that many passengers will be under an hour. I definitely agree it's not the roomiest and I'm glad you pointed that out. Putting someone in an RS makes it feel like a clown car! Definitely amusing the first few times but gets old after a while.

Thanks for being a voice of reason. I will probably hold onto my car for at least another half year or so if not longer. By the end of next year I might just get a used 335i while also keeping my car. The problem with just having a 335i though is it's too much of a sleeper for my tastes, it sounds terrible but I do like to stand out a little bit.
Appreciate 0