BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > USA - California

EXXEL Distributions

12-07-2011, 12:00 PM   #1
cheweihu
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Reconditioned bumper cover only?

Hi all,

i recently got rear ended in a parking lot (I am the non-fault). I went to my insurance's adjuster yesterday and on the report he wrote "replace with reconditioned bumper cover". Today I went to the bodyshop and told them I want a brand new bumper cover but he goes "the insurance is not going to pay for a new one unless we couldn't find a recon'd one..."

This sounds weird to me cuz this past summer I got rear ended in WA and the insurance also noted recondition bumper cover however I sent my car to the bodyshop that only uses brand new parts. It turned out the insurance company was okay with that eventually and paid the bill.

I ain't sure if this is the case? or can I insist to get a brand new bumper cover?

Thanks,

Wei
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2011, 04:18 PM   #2
persian54
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M760/G83M4

Best to call your insurance but they seem to just wanting to be cheap

since that person rear ended you, you should be entitled for all brand new parts...

Dont your neck and back hurt?
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2011, 05:49 PM   #3
cheweihu
Private
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by persian54 View Post

Dont your neck and back hurt?
The other party's insurance just called and asked the same question, I honestly answered no, and the call dropped they never call again. LOL
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2011, 05:57 PM   #4
persian54
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M760/G83M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheweihu View Post
The other party's insurance just called and asked the same question, I honestly answered no, and the call dropped they never call again. LOL
.................................................. .......................................

You aren't a doctor

You should have yourself examined (on their dime) to make sure you're okay

a neck or hack injury may not hurt right after an accident and stay dormant for some time.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2011, 08:18 PM   #5
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
First, there is no such bodyshop that will only install new parts if they are being paid through insurance.

Secondly, it is the insurance company's policy on parts which you will have to address as to whether you get new or used parts when you are involved in an accident. It is never up to the claimant as to whether you get a new part unless you want to pay the difference between the used part and the new one.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2011, 06:56 PM   #6
cheweihu
Private
No_Country
Rep

Bodyshop called me saying they did find a refub bumper and advising me to call my insurance again to get their commitment on this if I really want to put on a new one. I called my appraiser telling him my car is a 2011 and I recently (3months back)installed a new bumper so I think I should get something equivalent. He was like the refub one is nothing different than a new one...blah blah, and tell me to file a supplement form if I want.

Told that to the bodyshop and they said supplement form is only for further damage but not for this case.

So I called Lizard company again, this time I called the claim dept. telling her the exact same thing and she said the only person who can change this is actually the person who inspected my car (the appraiser I mentioned) and she asked the contact information and told me she would be asking my appraiser to contact my bodyshop. Everything looks good.

Later Mr. Appraiser called but I was not at my desk so I got his voice mail saying the same thing that he said the first time "A RECONDITIONED bumper has no difference than a brand new, it's new." and because they had found one so they have to go with the refurb.

I am so tired on this back and forth, I was rear ended and now I am the one who keeps making phone calls to different parties.

I swear I will switch from the Lizard insurance to others next time.
Appreciate 0