BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

EXXEL Distributions

04-19-2010, 02:08 PM   #1
335e92tx
ahat
Rep
Drives: Was '07-335e92 - Now '13-335IS

The techs at GM dealerships seem to need a little more training

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...arms-rims.html

Damaged control arms and rims
I was in for simple oil change service and the GM tech rotated the front and rear wheels by mistake. As soon as I got in a noticed a noise from the front wheels (thank goodness I caught it right away). They had swapped the rears and fronts. This damaged the front control arms - they are scrapped near the top like scrap marks horizontal. And the inside rim of the rear wheel is scratched. I made them document including taking pictures.

They say they can refinish the rims but I'm wondering if I should be worried about anything else? I think they would replace if I insist. I'm also wondering if this might have caused any alignment issues as well? Or if because the larger rear wheels were torqued to the front it may have damaged anything else that I can't easily or visibly see? Help!

'13 335IS N54 (1 of 373 LeMans Blue out of 3597 total production e92)- Grey interior (1 of 24 in LMB with any trans- 1 of 14 with DCT)-MODS -MFactory LSD/MHD-BQ custom Tune/ATM-IC/AFE Momentum GT Intake/Konis/Mfront&HeimJoint Rear rods&arms/Brembos.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Lo6aHZRo7XqtPkhL8
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2010, 02:12 PM   #2
jayson
Life's too short for chess
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 991.2 T / E36 M3

Ouch! This is why I would always shy away from expensive GM's / Fords... same techs working on a Chevy Malibu will also work on your $$$$ car.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2010, 02:13 PM   #3
ptack
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.50]
I bet they could have added a trailer hitch correctly.
      04-19-2010, 03:41 PM   #4
NYC6
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 135i PPKI/06 C6 Z51 Vette

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335e92tx View Post

I was in for simple oil change service and the GM tech rotated the front and rear wheels by mistake. As soon as I got in a noticed a noise from the front wheels (thank goodness I caught it right away). They had swapped the rears and fronts. This damaged the front control arms - they are scrapped near the top like scrap marks horizontal. And the inside rim of the rear wheel is scratched. I made them document including taking pictures.

They say they can refinish the rims but I'm wondering if I should be worried about anything else? I think they would replace if I insist. I'm also wondering if this might have caused any alignment issues as well? Or if because the larger rear wheels were torqued to the front it may have damaged anything else that I can't easily or visibly see? Help!
Without a doubt I would insist on new wheels. Dont let them get away from it. The sooner the better you make an uproar the better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayson View Post
Ouch! This is why I would always shy away from expensive GM's / Fords... same techs working on a Chevy Malibu will also work on your $$$$ car.
I've been bringing my Vette into service for three years now. Never an issue. All car manufacturers have issues here and there. Its not GM/Ford specific.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2010, 03:47 PM   #5
NYC6
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335e92tx View Post

Without a doubt I would insist on new wheels to replace damaged ones. Dont let them get away from it. I would request a 4 wheel alignment as well.The sooner the better you make an uproar the better.

Quote:
I've been bringing my Vette into service for three years now. Never an issue. All car manufacturers have issues here and there. Its not GM/Ford specific.

Last edited by NYC6; 04-19-2010 at 05:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2010, 06:57 PM   #6
bavarian19
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptack View Post
I bet they could have added a trailer hitch correctly.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2010, 07:12 PM   #7
jayson
Life's too short for chess
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 991.2 T / E36 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC6 View Post
I'll admit - I was pretty extreme in my example, but would be very particular about who worked on my ride if I had a high end GM.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2010, 07:25 PM   #8
NYC6
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'll admit - I was pretty extreme in my example, but would be very particular about who worked on my ride if I had a high end GM.
Point taken, I agree with you 100%. Any car I own Im careful who touches them.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2010, 07:38 PM   #9
JayKay335i
Banned
Egypt
Rep
Drives: ///M323 DCT

I had friends who worked for a Cadillac dealer as "techs" right after high school. The stuff they used to do to cars is unbelievable.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2010, 08:30 AM   #10
fwmcb
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 F30 328i X-drive

Garage List
2010 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
I'm even picky about who touches my lowly 128i, which is less expensive than some Malibus....
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2010, 12:16 PM   #11
Couch
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
It's the idiots that didn't care nor pay attention during their automotive schooling.

I have a few friends that went to UTI and they were so pissed at guys who got accepted into MB/BMW/etc programs even though they had high absenses, horrible grades, and so on.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2010, 01:28 PM   #12
blue2fire
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC6 View Post
I dont know but isn't there a chance that the Chevrolet dealers are better trained in dealing with high performance cars than the people from Cadillac? After 56 or so years of the Corvette and all?

That might explain your experience.

BMW CCA
Member #420568
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Murray View Post
Being a fan of Honda engines, I requested that they consider building for the F1 a 4.5 liter V10 or V12. I asked, I tried to persuade them, but in the end could not convince them to do it, and the McLaren F1 ended up with a BMW engine.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2010, 02:27 PM   #13
NYC6
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2fire View Post
I dont know but isn't there a chance that the Chevrolet dealers are better trained in dealing with high performance cars than the people from Cadillac? After 56 or so years of the Corvette and all?

That might explain your experience.
Think you're kind of stretching there. One dim witted maroon who rotated tires incorrectly really has nothing to do with "high performance" cars of any type, their training or how long Corvettes have been in production. There are idiots everywhere, they walk among us!
Appreciate 0