BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

Mporium BMW

07-25-2014, 01:33 AM   #1
e46m3tony
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e46 m3

Dead Battery (still have warranty); to bring in or just buy a new one

battery died today so i went out and bought a new one from autozone. car works perfectly fine now.
found out from reading the forums that the car needs to be programed for the new battery?
Should i keep the battery? or should i just bring the car in and have it replaced since i still have warranty on the car for another month.
Also if i bring it into the dealer would i need to put back in the OEM battery? or can i just leave in the durlast i got from autozone. i ask because the car wont start at all with the OEM battery any more, it's completely dead.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2014, 04:20 AM   #2
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Take it in if it's under warranty. All they can say is no.
      07-25-2014, 07:15 AM   #3
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 Cayman GT4

You could use the warranty to just get the new battery registered. Failure to register doesn't run the new battery; it can just prevent your car from drawing enough current from it. My wife's Mini had a sunroof that wouldn't close all the way when operating on the battery (fine when the engine was on), so I suspected it needed a new battery. The shop I use didn't have the registration tool, but I did. They installed the new battery and the problem persisted, UNTIL I registered the battery, at which point all was well.

And FYI, if you buy an OBD to USB cable for a PC or even an OBD to Bluetooth/WiFi adapter to use with your smartphone, there are apps that will let you register a battery easily, read codes, etc.

Gone but not forgotten:
'11.75 M3 E92 Le Mans | Black Nov w/ Alum | 6MT (owned 5/2011 - 11/2015)
Appreciate 0