BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wash, Wax, Detail, Cosmetic Maintenance & Repairs

European Auto Source (EAS)

10-20-2013, 03:52 PM   #1
rjd598
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 340i

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
Tuff Tire Shine Review

I've been using Tuff Tire Shine for some time now and it is an absolute amazing product. I originally tested this about a year or so ago on my daily driver. It lasted me about 3-4 months with only one application, but never documented it. My daily was driven 350+ miles a week, sat outside 24/7, never saw a hand wash by myself, and only went through automatic car washes about twice a month on average. No reapplication was present throughout the 3-4 months. At the end you could definitely tell the tires had product still left on them, but obviously there was no high shine left. Honestly it might have even lasted longer, but the car was involved in an accident so it sat at the body shop for a few weeks, collected dirt and dust, and when they delivered it it had been detailed with new tire dressing applied. After that the car switched ownership over to my dad so I never tracked the tires after that.

Fast forward to now, I got some new rims for my new daily driver and it came with almost new tires that only had 100 miles on them. The pictures that follow are almost the same conditions. Car sits outside 24/7, driven 350+, no auto car washes but for most of the two months it saw only high pressure washer water. I used the tuff tire brush with just soap and water twice on the tires. No reapplication since the original application and only one coat iirc are on these tires. I tried taking pictures at different angles to give you an idea of what they look like now. This specific tire has seen the worst damage because when I parallel park I sometimes rub the curb with this tire slightly. I might have rubbed twice, but you can see what they look like after my recent wash. Remember this is all on the initial coating I put on about two months ago. Feel free to ask any questions

Appreciate 0
      10-21-2013, 07:43 AM   #2
radiofrequency
Field Marshall
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 ZCP, 2021 M2 Comp

Thanks for the detailed review, I will be ordering this product based on your comments. At this point, I have not found a product that really works as you describe. My X5 tires look terrible even though the rest of the car looks great, very frustrating, especially during the winter.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2013, 09:56 AM   #3
rjd598
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiofrequency View Post
Thanks for the detailed review, I will be ordering this product based on your comments. At this point, I have not found a product that really works as you describe. My X5 tires look terrible even though the rest of the car looks great, very frustrating, especially during the winter.
Just some advice before you tackle this, get ready to scrub, scrub, scrub those tires. A lot of people have spent a good amount of times trying to get the tires clean because that really is the most important step. Fortunately for me the first time around they were new tires and second time the tires only had 100 miles on them. The tuff tire cleaner is super effective but not the most economical since you'll most likely use most of the bottle. You might not though I don't know how dirty your tires are, but just wanted to give you that heads up
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2013, 10:22 AM   #4
budski
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 SSII E92 DCT ZCP

When you initially applied this, did it sling at all?

This product looks good. I like a little bit of shine and this seems like it would fit the bill for me as it'll maintain a nice consistent look for months.

ESS VT2 625 | Brembo 380mm F/R | Stack Gauges | Meisterschaft GT | KW V3 | Perf Steering Wheel | Challenge GT Lip | Perf CF Spoiler | CF Mirror Caps

Tundra TRD Rock Warrior
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2013, 01:08 PM   #5
rjd598
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by budski View Post
When you initially applied this, did it sling at all?

This product looks good. I like a little bit of shine and this seems like it would fit the bill for me as it'll maintain a nice consistent look for months.
nope no sling at all. It sounds like one coat would be the winner for you. It really does keep a consistent look over the months. I would expect the look to last longer than my first test because of how I maintain the tires now. Last week I rubbed the tire pictured above and I wiped it down with some quick detailer and a mf towel. Initially I thought I was good, but when I went to wash the car yesterday I saw brown dirt on the area that was rubbed. After my wash and tire scrub with soap/water the tire looks back to normal now. Impressive product to say the least. I'm tempted to add another coat just for the sake of maintenance not looks, but I'll keep it going to see how long one coat can last for review purposes.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2013, 04:42 AM   #6
Ken37.73
Private 1st Class
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Jet Black

Could you post up a link to this product ? Thanks a mill. Ken.
      10-22-2013, 09:38 AM   #7
rjd598
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken37.73 View Post
Could you post up a link to this product ? Thanks a mill. Ken.
http://www.detailedimage.com/TUF-SHI...ance-Kit-P545/
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2013, 07:15 PM   #8
rjd598
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
UPDATE

So it has been a total of 4 months since initial application. Since my posting I might have been able to scrub the tires once with soap and water so no real cleaning and there's been a mix of rain that the tires have seen along with the normal 24/7 outside conditions and 350+ miles per week. I used a waterless on the tires before taking these pics so if they don't look amazing maybe it's because they haven't been fully cleaned off. Regardless you can definitely tell the tires have dressing on them. At this point I would personally put on another coat for protection and looks, but I will actually keep going. Look out for another update of tire pics when I detail the car and the tires will get a nice scrubbing with soap/water.

Appreciate 0
      12-29-2013, 07:30 PM   #9
Semi-Poor
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 Coupe

Nice review as with all things in the detailing world the prep is everything. Tires must be perfectly clean no brown ooze.
      12-29-2013, 08:36 PM   #10
rjd598
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Semi-Poor View Post
Nice review as with all things in the detailing world the prep is everything. Tires must be perfectly clean no brown ooze.
Bingo. Like I said the two times I have applied tuf shine my tires were once brand new and the other set only had 100 miles on them. If anyone is skeptical about tuf tire cleaner due to it's price a great alternative is mothers foaming tire and wheel cleaner. I used it for the tires pictures here before I applied tuf shine.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2014, 02:37 PM   #11
rjd598
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
Here's the final update! It's been almost seven months now and the car has been in the same conditions except it has received no cleaning from a brush and soap. This whole period I think I might have actually scrubbed down the tires maybe two times. This time I hit it with some auto finesse citrus power and used the tuf brush to get a lot of gunk off the tires. I was surprised at how well this has held up. Obviously the shine isn't like day one but like I've said before you can definitely tell the tires are clean, have some sort of dressing, and has a clean overall look.

The review stops here for me since my tires are toast and they won't be on the car for much longer. At this point I would layer the tires with chemical guys vrp as I am actually very impressed with that dressing. It'll give a great gloss back to the tires and protect the original tuf coating. Any questions feel free to ask!

Oops thumb in the way

Sorry have to show off

Appreciate 0