BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 Photos/Video/Media Gallery

09-06-2013, 11:48 PM   #1
JEllis
Major General
Rep
Drives: E36 M3, E92 M3

Some Not So Routine Maintenance!

So I have the Monster back in the air to take care of what started out as a simple issue.

A nice shot of the KW suspension and 380mm Brembos. Notice I am still experiencing a tiny bit of rubbing on the front fender liner. The cause of this I will get into later but it should be a simple fix.

Here you can see the ESS cold air intake for my ESS SC setup. The kit uses a steel band reinforced flex hose that is extremely durable. But I am super anal and to avoid any excess rubbing, I put some electrical tape on the top of the tube as well as some rubbing strips at the bottom. Like I said, I am anal.

Another interesting thing you are seeing here is that the GT4 brake duct, which I have open to the under panel and thus the intake, is providing extra air to the filter as can be seen by the dirt residue seen in this pic.

As mentioned in my previous posts, I have a larger capacity Motorsport 24 radiator. Its a great piece of kit but I had it in my head that I did not properly bleed the system when I installed it. So, I decided to bleed it again (my 3rd time..told you I am anal). Although I had two reference points for tightening, I managed to over torque the bleed screw and the head popped off. Now if I had done my due diligence and conducted a google search on bleeding BMW coolant systems, I would have learned that these bleeder screws are extremely prone to breaking and a lot of care needs to be taken when tightening.

I did some research and tried a bunch of tricks to get the broken part of the bleeder screw out of the expansion tank but none of them worked. I either would have to take an extreme chance of busting the expansion tank or just start with a new one. Since they are not super expensive I decided on the latter.

Time to get ready for a mess. I have done coolant work on my car a few times. Both on the engine coolant system and the SC heat exchanger system. It is always a messy job!

Here is the new tank ready to go. I bought it through Turner and the tank arrived ready for install.

One of my less messy attempts!

The tank is attached via two bolts. Remove them, three coolant lines and the tank will pop out with little effort.

Always use distilled water in your coolant systems! The minerals and stuff in non-distilled water can cause problems for your coolant systems and metal surfaces.

I cannot help improving things. When I was doing my BMW coolant system research I discovered that quite a few people switched to a brass fitting. No more heads popping off and it will last the life of the vehicle. I purchased the brass bleeder screw through Turner and it is identical to its plastic counterpart.

Everything re-installed and looking good.

Okay so this is where things get interesting. I have just about 4000 miles on my car and its been in its current modified state for about the last 3000 miles. So, I now I have an idea of what things are working well, need tweaking or are a little beyond my needs.

First up is the Motorsport 24 oil cooler. This is a fantastic product and is super easy to install. Literally 3 bolts to remove the cooler and a bolt on each side to attach the lines. However, it belongs on a car that sees far more track time than mine does. The larger cooler is also a tight fit, which bothers me but wont bother someone that is more worried about lap times. If your interested in a M24 oil cooler, let me know.

Next, I have said for a long time that the ESS VT1-550 kit is probably the best kit offered by ESS. I personally think it offers the perfect boost in power. The VT1 kits are also completely non invasive which I will get into later. As some of you know, I have a VT2-535. At some point I realized the intercooling I added to the VT1 kit is not necessary on a car that mostly sees street time and these kits have been proven to be resistant to heat soak even on the track. So, that being said, the added complexity of the heat exchanger feels unnecessary.

But, I had obviously cut my front clip in order to install the heat exchanger. As I said before I am anal, so with the removal of the VT2 portions of my kit, I also decided to swap in a new front clip.

In the above pic you can see the headlights are removed in preparation.

Here you can see the oil cooler and heat exchanger are removed. This is a good shot of the cutting required to fit the heat exchanger.

Fast forward and the front clip is removed. I wish I could say this is easy but it requires about two dozen bolts to be removed as well as four blind rivets. You also have to disconnect the hood latches which were a giant pain. I am not looking forward to the re-installation.

Here is my front clip next to a new OEM front clip.

Thats it for now.
      09-07-2013, 12:37 AM   #2
Hujan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Very cool thread. One thing has me confused. What did you mean by this:

Quote:
First up is the Motorsport 24 oil cooler. This is a fantastic product and is super easy to install. Literally 3 bolts to remove the cooler and a bolt on each side to attach the lines. However, it belongs on a car that sees far more track time than mine does. The larger cooler is also a tight fit, which bothers me but wont bother someone that is more worried about lap times. If your interested in a M24 oil cooler, let me know.
This makes it sound like the oil cooler is a trade off in some way. Does the oil cooler impede other aspects of the car's cooling system? Is there any trade off from having the oil cooler there?

I've often wondered how crowded it would get with the s/c intercooler, oil cooler, transmission fluid cooler, etc. all crammed in there.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2013, 12:44 AM   #3
JEllis
Major General
Rep

No, nothing like that.

The M24 oil cooler sits just a little bit lower than the OE oil cooler due to its size. As a result the fitting of the under panel and bumper that slide underneath is tighter.
      09-07-2013, 07:30 AM   #4
0-60Motorsports
Brigadier General
Bahrain
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 JB 04 Coupe

Excellent work on the beast.
2011 VW Golf R DSG White/Black
IG: @060Motorsports
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2013, 10:25 AM   #5
FVM3
Major General
Rep
Drives: e92 m3, f30 328i

great job
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2013, 11:03 AM   #6
991brothers
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: GT3 RS

Nice job!! Can I hire you to work on my car haha?
2022 BMW M5 Competition - 2016 GT3 RS UltraViolet -2018 GT3 Chalk - 2016 GT3 Lava - 2015 GT3 Guards Red - 2018 Audi RS7 - 2016 F80 M3 - 2015 GT3 Black - 2015 GT3 Carrara White - 2016 991.1 GTS - 2012 997.2 GTS Cabriolet - 2011 E92 M3 - 2006 E46 M3
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2013, 11:39 AM   #7
JEllis
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavidM3E92 View Post
Nice job!! Can I hire you to work on my car haha?
You should give it a try. Most things are easier than you think. If I was in SD more I would give you a hand.
      09-07-2013, 11:58 AM   #8
991brothers
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: GT3 RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEllis View Post
You should give it a try. Most things are easier than you think. If I was in SD more I would give you a hand.
I def want to see your car when your back in SD. hit me up when you have time
2022 BMW M5 Competition - 2016 GT3 RS UltraViolet -2018 GT3 Chalk - 2016 GT3 Lava - 2015 GT3 Guards Red - 2018 Audi RS7 - 2016 F80 M3 - 2015 GT3 Black - 2015 GT3 Carrara White - 2016 991.1 GTS - 2012 997.2 GTS Cabriolet - 2011 E92 M3 - 2006 E46 M3
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2013, 01:35 PM   #9
JEllis
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavidM3E92 View Post
I def want to see your car when your back in SD. hit me up when you have time
I hit up Carlsbad cars and coffee every once in a while. I will let you know.
      09-07-2013, 02:37 PM   #10
exmowner
Major
Rep
Drives: 22 M3X / 14 GTR

nice work! I'm interested in your fix for the tire rubbing on the liner....

I'm anal with my car as well and it's driving me crazy!
2021-G82 BASE (SOLD)
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2013, 02:41 PM   #11
exmowner
Major
Rep

I've also made a modification to the driver side coil cover as to remove it without removing the supercharger from the car.

Looks oemish
Attached Images

2021-G82 BASE (SOLD)
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2013, 02:46 PM   #12
JEllis
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by exmowner View Post
I've also made a modification to the driver side coil cover as to remove it without removing the supercharger from the car.

Looks oemish
Nice work... how long have you been SCd? You mentioned your changing the spark plugs. Curious what interval your using.
      09-07-2013, 02:52 PM   #13
exmowner
Major
Rep

Quote:
Nice work... how long have you been SCd? You mentioned your changing the spark plugs. Curious what interval your using.
Thanks!

The supercharger was installed at 23,000kms and I'm now at 30,000kms.

I had the plugs changed when iND installed the kit, I just want to see how they'd held up.

P.S. I over maintain the m, if there is such a thing
2021-G82 BASE (SOLD)
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2013, 02:58 PM   #14
JEllis
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by exmowner View Post
nice work! I'm interested in your fix for the tire rubbing on the liner....

I'm anal with my car as well and it's driving me crazy!
The primary reason the fender liner rubs is due to the air filter pushing it out. Its actually not the filter tube, although the filter tub will touch the liner.

There are some simple fixes that might work for some depending on front tire/wheel size. Trimming the filter opening in the brake duct so that filter can sit further away from the fender liner might remedy the problem. If that does not work I learned a clever trick from Malek at MRF which involves using a heat gun to reshape the fender liner. You also want to make sure that the filter sits as low in the bumper as possible. Credit for all these tricks goes to Malek at MRF.

For a more aggressive approach... I have been doing some research on air filters. I have two different options coming in. One is a custom sized AFE and the other is a K&N. The AFE is nearly identical to what comes with the ESS kit with the exception that the base of the filter is less wide. The K&N I bought is significantly smaller but is standard issue in Mustang Procharger kits. Given the volume of air a Mustang needs, I do not think a smaller filter will make much of a difference on our cars.
      09-07-2013, 03:31 PM   #15
tmntmn
///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 M3/M-DCT

Quote:

I cannot help improving things. When I was doing my BMW coolant system research I discovered that quite a few people switched to a brass fitting. No more heads popping off and it will last the life of the vehicle. I purchased the brass bleeder screw through Turner and it is identical to its plastic counterpart.

Hey JEllis do you have a direct link to the Brass bleeder screw? i check turnermotorsports site but it doesn't fit our cars.

thanks
MODS: MODECARBON V2 GTS FRONT LIP & REAR DIFFUSER, AA GREEN FILTER, RPI SCOOPS, PSW, Verstraβe Extended DCT Shifter, ZCP WHEELS (SEMI-GLOSS), OHLINS R&T, Megan Exhaust, AKRA XPIPE, BMW LED INTERIOR, BLACKOUT W/ORION V4 LED AE, OSRAM CBI
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2013, 03:33 PM   #16
JEllis
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmntmn View Post
Hey JEllis do you have a direct link to the Brass bleeder screw? i check turnermotorsports site but it doesn't fit our cars.

thanks
Thats the one. Despite what Turner says, its identical to the one on the car as can be seen in the pics. In fact, I doubt BMW has changed its bleeder screw design in decades.
      09-07-2013, 03:47 PM   #17
tmntmn
///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 M3/M-DCT

Quote:
Thats the one. Despite what Turner says, its identical to the one on the car as can be seen in the pics. In fact, I doubt BMW has changed its bleeder screw design in decades.
Thanks! going to place an order soon
MODS: MODECARBON V2 GTS FRONT LIP & REAR DIFFUSER, AA GREEN FILTER, RPI SCOOPS, PSW, Verstraβe Extended DCT Shifter, ZCP WHEELS (SEMI-GLOSS), OHLINS R&T, Megan Exhaust, AKRA XPIPE, BMW LED INTERIOR, BLACKOUT W/ORION V4 LED AE, OSRAM CBI
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2013, 03:53 PM   #18
JEllis
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmntmn View Post
Thanks! going to place an order soon
Just be careful when you thread it in. You can easily cross thread the plastic. Just lightly drop it in and take care when threading, it should thread on smoothly without effort.
      09-08-2013, 09:47 AM   #19
slicer
Major General
Rep
Drives: 'E46 M3 Race Car, '23 X7

Thanks for posting, very informative. I'm having a hard time understanding why you would remove the extra cooling that your car had. I have always thought that it was a great idea to run a lower boost supercharger with VT2 and the larger radiator and oil cooler. The only downside is weight. Was the weight significant enough to motivate the change?
'04 M3 - Fall Line Motorsports Built Race Car - S65 swap, Dry Sump, Bosch Stand-Alone ECU, Drenth Sequential Trans, MCS 3-Way, Flossmann Wide Body, Brembo Motorsports Brakes, Drexler LSD, BBS E88 Etc.
INSTAGRAM - @Slicer_M
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2013, 10:40 AM   #20
JEllis
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicer View Post
Thanks for posting, very informative. I'm having a hard time understanding why you would remove the extra cooling that your car had. I have always thought that it was a great idea to run a lower boost supercharger with VT2 and the larger radiator and oil cooler. The only downside is weight. Was the weight significant enough to motivate the change?
In the end I guess its personal preference. After spending the last year building, driving, showing and seeing other builds I developed some personal preferences and I realized if I had to do it all over again, I would have done things differently. The oil cooler is a great piece of kit but an overkill. I probably track my car 3 times a year. I sold the oil cooler to a guy that tracks his M3 weekly.

The VT2 cooling does add weight to the car but probably less than 20lbs. When it comes to the intercooling, I think the added complexity was not worth the effort to ME unless A) I tracked all the time or B) I wanted more power. And, personally, I think the VT1-550 is the cleanest, easiest to install and reliable SC kit on the market. For me, I think that alone drove me to make a pure VT1 kit.
      09-08-2013, 12:16 PM   #21
slicer
Major General
Rep
Drives: 'E46 M3 Race Car, '23 X7

Quote:
In the end I guess its personal preference. After spending the last year building, driving, showing and seeing other builds I developed some personal preferences and I realized if I had to do it all over again, I would have done things differently. The oil cooler is a great piece of kit but an overkill. I probably track my car 3 times a year. I sold the oil cooler to a guy that tracks his M3 weekly.

The VT2 cooling does add weight to the car but probably less than 20lbs. When it comes to the intercooling, I think the added complexity was not worth the effort to ME unless A) I tracked all the time or B) I wanted more power. And, personally, I think the VT1-550 is the cleanest, easiest to install and reliable SC kit on the market. For me, I think that alone drove me to make a pure VT1 kit.
That makes sense. You are so damn anal which I love. I can relate as I spend a lot of time over analyzing things. It's a bit of a hobby for me. You must give me a ride in your car with the VT1 kit the next time you are in SD.
'04 M3 - Fall Line Motorsports Built Race Car - S65 swap, Dry Sump, Bosch Stand-Alone ECU, Drenth Sequential Trans, MCS 3-Way, Flossmann Wide Body, Brembo Motorsports Brakes, Drexler LSD, BBS E88 Etc.
INSTAGRAM - @Slicer_M
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2013, 01:42 PM   #22
tha_good_life
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 21 X6MC

Garage List
2021 BMW X6MC  [10.00]
2010 BMW M3  [8.68]
wow! I thought I was anal!
Appreciate 0