BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > USA - California

Mporium BMW

10-13-2009, 08:23 PM   #45
330CIZHP
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 330 CI ZHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by nd54 View Post
I'd volunteer my car as well, it's in LA and available on the 29th. I won't be there though so I'd have to ask a friend to drive for me.
Having an RD Sport stroker in there would be kicka**!!

- Lamborghini on turbocharging
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2009, 10:43 PM   #46
niterider
Proove It!
Rep
Drives: Gintani Supercharged

Im gonna e mail my info and see if im able to race. I dnt think they will allow my car since it is at about 650 crank hp. But id love to rep for M3post.

However one thing that does sound a little sketchy is what Lucid said, side by side racing with a bunch of stranger isnt something Id want to do with the money Ive spent on my car. Im sure some people wont want to admit their car is slower and will allow their ego to take control, which could be a very bad situation.

I only do side by side racing with my own buddies whos driving abilities I trust very much. I track with almost the same group of people all the time for this reason.
      10-14-2009, 06:15 AM   #47
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by niterider View Post
However one thing that does sound a little sketchy is what Lucid said, side by side racing with a bunch of stranger isnt something Id want to do with the money Ive spent on my car. Im sure some people wont want to admit their car is slower and will allow their ego to take control, which could be a very bad situation.
You guys are making a good point with this, definitely.

That caught my eye when I read the writeup too. But, I was thinking about it, and I would say that you will probably get a good idea when you meet the contenders in person whether they are reasonable, honorable people.

Personally I would loan my car for such an event (well, if I had a trackable car, heh) as long as I trusted whatever driver was in my car, and trusted his discretion about not putting himself in a bad situation. That is, not going against another driver he thought was incompetetent, lacked integrity, was over-egoed, or was just a wackjob. I realize that's all pretty subjective and plus nothing can prevent mistakes 100% no matter who is driving (even pros crash). But I'll bet the organizers have thought about all of this and will take precautions to make sure risk is minimized. In fact, maybe someone should bring this up with the organizers and see how they respond. Get more details about the race situation and how things will work.

Finally, don't amateurs go wheel-to-wheel and the advanced M-School at VIR? Sure, that's using the school's cars, but at the same time, how often does an incident really occur?
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2009, 09:53 AM   #48
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: i4M50

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by niterider View Post
Very good point and probably very valid for other events like this. Like who would want to be beaten or who would be 100% open as to what had been done to their car modification wise.

It's part of the reason I prefer to use magazine data instead of heresay video footage for events. Though they are still fun to watch.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2009, 10:53 AM   #49
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
You guys are making a good point with this, definitely.

That caught my eye when I read the writeup too. But, I was thinking about it, and I would say that you will probably get a good idea when you meet the contenders in person whether they are reasonable, honorable people.

Personally I would loan my car for such an event (well, if I had a trackable car, heh) as long as I trusted whatever driver was in my car, and trusted his discretion about not putting himself in a bad situation. That is, not going against another driver he thought was incompetetent, lacked integrity, was over-egoed, or was just a wackjob. I realize that's all pretty subjective and plus nothing can prevent mistakes 100% no matter who is driving (even pros crash). But I'll bet the organizers have thought about all of this and will take precautions to make sure risk is minimized. In fact, maybe someone should bring this up with the organizers and see how they respond. Get more details about the race situation and how things will work.

Finally, don't amateurs go wheel-to-wheel and the advanced M-School at VIR? Sure, that's using the school's cars, but at the same time, how often does an incident really occur?
I haven't been to an M school, but I doubt that they let them go all out against each other. There is a reason passing in corners is not allowed in some clubs--even in the advanced groups. Other clubs allow it, but not for the sake of promoting wheel to wheel racing--more to give the faster car more options to go on its way as opposed to waiting for a point by or a straight, etc. Driving schools are not about racing to begin with, and what happens on the track is not pushed to the extreme to the extent it constitutes racing. You can attend the "competition school" of a club or go to a professional racing school such as Skip Barber, and obtain a racing license depending on how you do, and get into some real racing action then as a rookie.

IMO, as niterider said, for this type of event, the risk of an amateur driver getting really worked up about his car or reputation and developing red mist are high--I guess everyone has a different definition of what high is. Even seasoned pros lose it sometimes. Just check out the last lap of the ALMS race at Laguna Seca. Combine potential mental run-off with lack of skills (unless you put a proven driver in each car) and it could be problematic. Again, my 2 cents...
      10-14-2009, 12:31 PM   #50
r53s65e90
United_States
Rep
Drives: r53 s65e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucid View Post
...the risk of an amateur driver getting really worked up about his car or reputation and developing red mist are high...
Wheel to wheel racing against people with verbal track experience and possibly no racing license AND in a car without a cage is plain STUPID!

Drags and time trials are fine.

I still fail to see what "Forum Wars" is trying to prove. I don't see any value in it other than the production of a "reality clip" which will try to portray drivers as passionate risk takers who are willing to go beyond their limits to prove that their cars have achieved supreme awesomeness.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2009, 01:59 PM   #51
King Tut
NASA SpecE30 Racer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Honda S2000 TT3

No way they are going to allow wheel to wheel racing without the safety equipment required by groups such as NASA. Remember it is for a TV show so maybe they just want to get some shots of the cars side by side, but no way you will be doing any kind of passing or real racing.
2009 BMW M3 Coupe: Sold e92.ridedomain.com
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2009, 02:06 PM   #52
KonigsTiger
Racying Dynamics
Rep
Drives: E92M3 RS46 Club Sport, others

Ok, ok, I read over this and would love to submit my RS46 M3 Competizonie (Club Sport). Of course, would have to know who will drive etc.... I didn´t have time to read over everything so could someone tell me the dates and place?
      10-14-2009, 02:07 PM   #53
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Tut View Post
No way they are going to allow wheel to wheel racing without the safety equipment required by groups such as NASA. Remember it is for a TV show so maybe they just want to get some shots of the cars side by side, but no way you will be doing any kind of passing or real racing.
Yeah, like I said, someone needs to ask the organizers for details. It clearly is not going to be bump-and-run like a NASCAR race out there.

I agree any passing - especially on corners - is dangerous, but IMHO they are using the phrase "wheel to wheel" extremely liberally here...
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2009, 02:07 PM   #54
King Tut
NASA SpecE30 Racer
United_States
Rep

PencilGeek's e-mail said 10/29 or mid November as the dates. Why wouldn't you drive your own car?
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2009, 03:41 PM   #55
KonigsTiger
Racying Dynamics
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PencilGeek View Post
KonigsTiger lives in Mexico.
Correct, and don´t know if I can make it up there during those dates but late October seems perfect to "volunteer" my car.
      10-14-2009, 04:09 PM   #56
King Tut
NASA SpecE30 Racer
United_States
Rep

I know he lives in Mexico, that is closer than Florida. I'm sure they would accept a Mexican drivers license.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2009, 04:13 PM   #57
KonigsTiger
Racying Dynamics
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Tut View Post
I know he lives in Mexico, that is closer than Florida. I'm sure they would accept a Mexican drivers license.
Bahahahahaha!!! Fair enough I suppose. Only problem is that I personally may not be able to make it those days. That´s all.
      10-14-2009, 04:37 PM   #58
Pete The Greek
the greek guy
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 M3 AW/FR

Garage List
2010 E92 M3  [0.00]
this definitely seems cool! i cant wait to see who, if anyone is going to represent this forum
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2009, 04:47 PM   #59
M3_LIN
LM-R Whore.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 White M3 Sedan

anyone know if spectators are allowed? Does whomevers car have an in car video? I think that would be cool to have.

Ed Lin

09AWE90M: Light headlight tint, Full front end clear bra wrap(Harris@InstyleGraphics), Ceramic tint(40%), Piaa GTX H3 bulb, HID 8k AE, 6k Low, INT Luxer1 lights, RD springs, LMR 20X9 +8, 20X10 +18 (Dave @ Status), Vertice CF hood Ducts(Dat @ VertexUSA), Tecnocraft FULL Envy Intake system+plenum(KEVLAR)+cabin filter covers, Meister GTC exhaust, Arkym F LIP.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2009, 05:12 PM   #60
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Any idea what track it'll be at?
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2009, 05:42 AM   #61
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

Ok, so that removes the last stumbling block (thanks PG).

Now, who is going to drive, and whose car is going to be driven??
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2009, 03:41 PM   #62
Nexlevmm
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: SG E92 M

sweet, at irwindale, thats not too far away.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2009, 11:00 AM   #63
KINGLEH
Major
Rep
Drives: 00 GTR - 09 E92 M

when is this?

im coming out to LA in Nov.. im def down to drive anyones car... Lets WIN this thing...!
      10-16-2009, 11:02 AM   #64
Crazy Bimmer
The Jesal
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGLEH View Post
when is this?

im coming out to LA in Nov.. im def down to drive anyones car... Lets WIN this thing...!

Someone give this man their car!
      10-16-2009, 11:24 AM   #65
M3V8Driver
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 - DCT

You don't have to worry about "wheel to wheel" racing if you stay in front

Hey, if I can beat KINGLEH, will I qualify for a seat in a GrandAm car?
      10-16-2009, 11:55 AM   #66
330CIZHP
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 330 CI ZHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGLEH View Post
when is this?

Pencilgeek' M3 + Kingleh's drag/track racing skills = Some serious a** whooping by an M3!

- Lamborghini on turbocharging
Appreciate 0