BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

EXXEL Distributions

03-25-2009, 02:18 PM   #23
JIO
Captain
Rep
Drives: '09 Space Gray E92 M3 w/DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canyon Junkie View Post
nice write-up

any way you could take a picture of the front of the car from about 10 feet away? want to see how visible the units are.
They are totally unseen. For the M3, it's probably the best place for the sensors if you want to keep them hidden. I've yet to have anyone notice them behind the grills.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2009, 03:32 PM   #24
ColoCane
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3

Ignorant Question

Thanks for the insight and detailed debrief.

An ignorant question perhaps:
I thought there were two types of jammers; one that literally jams the laser signal (providing a 00 reading for the cop, which is a tip off) and another that sends an active signal back (providing an erroneous reading back to the cop) Is this true?

Not to jack the thread, but I'd also be interested in comments on repercussions when caught with the jammer. Ticket? Court appearance for proof of removal? What?

Looking at maybe a 9500ci install, so very curious.

JIO, good job, pretty ingenious with the Cheetah.

'97 E36 M3 Sedan Hellrot Red/Black; '03 E46 330Ci Met. Gray/Black; '06 E46 330Ci ZPF Imola Red/Saddle
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2009, 07:17 PM   #25
RaDaRkInG
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sticky View Post
So if I use one in California what do they do? Lethal injection?
http://guysoflidar.com/usa-laser-jammer-laws.html

http://guysoflidar.com/california-la...mmer-laws.html

In California, Laser Jammers are illegal.

Source: California Vehicle Code, Section 28150
(Also available from http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/)

Jamming: Electronic Speed-Measuring Devices

28150. (a) No vehicle shall be equipped with any device that is designed for, or is capable of, jamming, scrambling, neutralizing, disabling, or otherwise interfering with radar, laser, or any other electronic device used by a law enforcement agency to measure the speed of moving objects.

(b) No person shall use, buy, possess, manufacture, sell, or otherwise distribute any device that is designed for jamming, scrambling, neutralizing, disabling, or otherwise interfering with radar, laser, or any other electronic device used by a law enforcement agency to measure the speed of moving objects.

(c) Except as provided in subdivision (d), a violation of subdivision (a) or (b) is an infraction.

(d) When a person possesses four or more devices in violation of subdivision (b), the person is guilty of a misdemeanor.

(e) Notwithstanding any other provision of law, a person who has a valid federal license for operating the devices described in this section may transport one or more of those devices if the license is carried in the vehicle transporting the device at all times when the device is being transported.

Added Sec. 1, Ch. 493, Stats. 1998. Effective January 1, 1999.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2009, 08:08 PM   #26
Planet BMW
Registered
Rep
Drives: Z4 Roadster

Lightbulb

Nice install. To bad those jammer heads aren't going to work properly, so when you do get a laser ticket, please don't blame the Blinder M25
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2009, 09:26 PM   #27
SS32
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Planet BMW View Post
Nice install. To bad those jammer heads aren't going to work properly, so when you do get a laser ticket, please don't blame the Blinder M25
Why? I've wondered if having them that close together will hurt things.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2009, 09:50 PM   #28
cell21633
Black Ops
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

i was referred to here from another forum. i'm sorry to say, but having your jammer heads placed behind the kidney grilles will render them nearly useless. your slats on the grills are an obstruction from both the detection and jamming of laser. they should be placed in an area that is unobstructed. for the money spent, you really should install them properly. please no offense, but this is similar to the likes of cobra detector users running around with them pointed at the sky thinking they will do just fine. you may be able to get away with placing the heads vertical in between the slats, or you should place them in the front mouth. also, please keep in mind that the officer may in fact have gotten punchthrough and obtained a speed reading.. just that he didn't pull you over because your speedometer is calibrated from the factory to show a higher speed reading than actual, sometimes as high as 10% over.

also, depending on the combination of what laser gun and laser jammer is being used, the officer will either see no speed reading "----" or will see an error code "E14" or some other, but not necessarily a jam code. laser atlanta, stalker, and lti have jam detection, but may or may not indicate a jam code depending on the equipment combination.

see my cardomain for an example
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3163955
if you stop by illinois anytime, shoot me a PM and we can test it. i have a laser atlanta speedlaser s.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2009, 11:22 PM   #29
JIO
Captain
Rep
Drives: '09 Space Gray E92 M3 w/DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by cell21633 View Post
i was referred to here from another forum. i'm sorry to say, but having your jammer heads placed behind the kidney grilles will render them nearly useless. your slats on the grills are an obstruction from both the detection and jamming of laser. they should be placed in an area that is unobstructed. for the money spent, you really should install them properly. please no offense, but this is similar to the likes of cobra detector users running around with them pointed at the sky thinking they will do just fine. you may be able to get away with placing the heads vertical in between the slats, or you should place them in the front mouth. also, please keep in mind that the officer may in fact have gotten punchthrough and obtained a speed reading.. just that he didn't pull you over because your speedometer is calibrated from the factory to show a higher speed reading than actual, sometimes as high as 10% over.

also, depending on the combination of what laser gun and laser jammer is being used, the officer will either see no speed reading "----" or will see an error code "E14" or some other, but not necessarily a jam code. laser atlanta, stalker, and lti have jam detection, but may or may not indicate a jam code depending on the equipment combination.

see my cardomain for an example
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3163955
if you stop by illinois anytime, shoot me a PM and we can test it. i have a laser atlanta speedlaser s.
Before picking the Blinder M25 and the Cheetah Wireless kit, I researched them for 6 months looking at all the tests and where the sensors were mounted. If you look at long shot from the laser gun, it'll have a beam that's probably 3'+ in diameter and will cover 1/2 of the front of the car. The jammer will easily pick it up and jam it. Now at close range and a steep angle, if the gun is shot at the headlights, the jammer probably won't pick it up. It's at that point I want them to be able to read my speed. With the jammer I wanted two things....not to see the sensors sitting out unobstructed, and jam a long range shot. I'm guessing the police will try for a long range shoot so they have time to flag me over or give chase. It's like my Valentine 1....I hope the cop will take a long distance shot so my radar detector can warn me in time to slow down. It the cop is using the "instant on" gun and waits until I'm close, yea, he'll get me.

If it doesn't work, I'll probably find out sometime, and I'll remove the jammer. It's one of the reasons I went with the wireless kit...easy to install and easy to remove. The Blinder kit has a 45 second testing available with a TV remote. I could easily trip the sensors at a 45° angle to the grill. I'm betting it'll work. If it doesn't, I'll report back. This is my $460 or so experiment.

Thanks for the suggestions though....I definitely won't blame it on the Blinder. I always take full responsibility for my actions. Besides, I'll be 60 this year, and at that age, I can do whatever I damn well please...he he
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2009, 01:30 PM   #30
crazyVOLVOrob
Registered
Rep
Drives: Volvo S70 t5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS32 View Post
Why? I've wondered if having them that close together will hurt things.
No having the heads ubstructed is the major issue.

Laser Jammer heads ESPECIALLY LED laser jammer head need a 100% clear view of the road ahead. If they don't have a 100% view of the open road ahead you will get high punchthroughs/speed readings meaning the laser jammer didn't perform as expected. IE meaning you will get a ticket

I too once was stupid and mounted my laser jammer heads obstructed and the jammers did alert when I fired my laser gun(Laser Atlanta) at them BUT they didn't jam at all. So all the jammer was doing was acting as a laser detector which was useless. I then moved my Blinder jammer heads so they had a 100% open view of the road ahead and finally the jammers actually jammed my laser gun. I am lucky to own a police issue laser gun so I could not only see if my jammer was alerting to my gun but if it was jamming as well, and my obstructed heads did NOT jam Lesson to be learned is just cause you jammer is alerting, it might not be jamming

Even when you think your heads have a wide open view and they alert, they may not be jamming. A testing group that I worked with in the past tested the theory of obstructing laser jammer heads on two EVO's, one with jammer heads behind that big mesh grill and the other EVO with the heads on the outside with a 100% unobstructed veiw. It was found out that the EVO with the heads obstructed suffered 600ft with The Stalker LZ1 laser gun and 1000ft + with ProLaser3. Now the Evo with the unobstructed heads was JTG (No laser gun could get a reading on his car. Now the jammer used for this test was the Laser Interceptor which is a much higher performing laser jammer than the Blinder

Here is the link to the results
http://www.radardetector.net/forums/...7-26-08-a.html

------------------------------------------------------------------
To the original poster. If you researched thie for 6months you would have stumbled upon the fact that in those test the laser jammer head was 100% unobstructed
Here are some links which have large amount of information on Laser Jammers and Radar detectors. Specifically help you get a perfect mounting location
http://guysoflidar.com/
http://www.radardetector.net/forums/

I was directed to this thread from radardetector.net forum where a user was pointing out what he calls your "crappy" Blinder M25 install
http://www.radardetector.net/forums/...tml#post522010
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2009, 06:46 PM   #31
SS32
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

Great info. Once I get the time, I'll have to find a route to a better spot.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2009, 09:07 PM   #32
crazyVOLVOrob
Registered
Rep
Drives: Volvo S70 t5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIO View Post
Hijacked to another site. This has been deleted.
So are you going to revise your install or are you going to keep going blindly thinking that your set-up will save you?
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2010, 06:12 PM   #33
MarkB84
Private
Rep
Drives: E36 M3

Any test run results? I know you speed =]