BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

BPM

06-09-2011, 08:15 AM   #67
Nine
Banned
Rep
Drives: Not ZCP, FML.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4G63 View Post
I have a ix mr with just a tune and tbe. Awesome car to say the least. If only it was as stable and confidence-inspiring as the M at top speed. From a dig-130 it is faster tho.
what is your trap speed?
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2011, 07:13 PM   #68
bobsmith
Rep
Drives: Currently STI

I still have my '07 STI and it is the best car I have ever owned. I have put almost 60,000 miles on it as my DD over the last 3.5 years, and it has never given any trouble at all. Doesn't have a single rattle after all those miles, and the (cheap) interior has held up beautifully even with two small kids riding in it for 70+ miles every day. Guess I have been lucky. Its also been an absolute blast to drive. I will really miss it when its gone...

That said, my e90 M3 6MT is on its way, so I am really pumped for what should be be a very nice upgrade

Appreciate 0
      06-13-2011, 09:44 PM   #69
PASE624
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 X1

I just recently traded in my 07 Sti for my 2008 335i and first, i miss my suby oh so dearly and second, i LOVE my 08 335i twin turbo. now, if you're comparing stock to stock then yes, m3 is faster and MAYBE the sti will win from a dig but that's about it. however, It'll be a lot cheaper to buy a new sti and modding/tuning it if you want a car that's similar in hp/tq to that of an M3. If you're like me and was pushing out 383whp/414wtq you'll def beat an M3. however you just can't compare an M3 with an STi, one is luxury/sports cars vs import tuner...lol

GO with an M3
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2011, 10:10 PM   #70
AngelinIsRich08
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 X5M, '09 CTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefan View Post
LOL @ anyone modding their Subaru's. Good luck. Depending on what stage you go to, I'll place a bet on when your engine spins a rod bearing.

This is the kind of insanity that comes out of those communities. Visit Subaru boards. One such thread warns not to "push it in a low gear while driving uphill". Wow. Pretty much sums up the price difference.

Also, with regard to modding, if you actually do it properly, you will be in M3 territory cost-wise, except the M3 will have warranty and won't blow up.
They say not to put it in a low gear when going up a hill? What? Is this if it's modded or just stock?
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2011, 11:24 PM   #71
chmura
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Subaru STI is a reliable car. Lots of new owners that are new to Subaru do stupid things that is a big no no when it comes to this car. People put a aftermarket intake on a stock tune or even an OTS (off the shelf) tune which is designed for stock intake box. Protune is much much more safer then a OTS tune. Lots of people put a after market blow off valve because they watched Fast and the Furious. I can go on and on.

People just make poor uneducated decisions and do not research about the car and then they cry about it when their engine blows.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2011, 11:23 AM   #72
irish77380
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 Coupe (2008)

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [8.00]
I had two regular WRX's and one STI in the past. Both great cars for the money, however I found that the STI attracted way too much attention from the "fast and furious crew" and the cops. The M3 is a different more refined animal, test drive both and see for yourself. :-)
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2011, 01:20 AM   #73
fuzzybam
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: MB GLE350

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snig View Post
But, I wanted to get rid of the boy racer look and all of the attention (ricers and cops).

Plus, the wife is a LOT happier with the M3. Muuuuuch better ride than the STI, she absolutely hated all of the bumps.
These two things are major contributing factors to wanting to ditch my WRX. Not to mention my insurance will be significantly cheaper with the M3.

My WRX has 20k on it and the SSK from the factory/tranny has trouble going into gears, the suspension is utter shit, and the paint is absolute shit. I can't wait to get rid of it. Not to mention that my brakes sound like banshees even though my pads are around 60% left and the dealer won't do shit about it.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2011, 11:57 PM   #74
JOM3JO
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e92 m3

we own a M3...Not only for performance,also for comfortable for the looks for the quility...you compare BMW and SUBARU,not coz of the brand.,coz of the technology of BMW high reving NA...used to have sti,great car,cheap to modify..but again,,,,,any turbo car will be very easy to modify to be faster than NA car...they are just different...you will get what you pay...
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2011, 12:17 PM   #75
quads
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: bac mono

Speaking from experience...

I used to own a 2007 limited STI (and later modified to 417whp)
as well as an ariel atom 2 300
and a 420hp ls6 miata

There is nothing that compares with my current e90 m3 in terms of the balance of driveability and trackability, it's communication to the driver what the car is doing.

Sure it doesn't have as my power to weight as my ls6 miata. Sure I didn't get a chipped tooth as I did with commuting in my atom. Sure it doesn't kick you in the back of the head when boost kicks in in my high power sti. But I just drove 5,000 miles in 8 days for onelapofamerica.com and I can't imagine doing it in any other car
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2011, 03:11 PM   #76
irish77380
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzybam View Post
These two things are major contributing factors to wanting to ditch my WRX. Not to mention my insurance will be significantly cheaper with the M3.

My WRX has 20k on it and the SSK from the factory/tranny has trouble going into gears, the suspension is utter shit, and the paint is absolute shit. I can't wait to get rid of it. Not to mention that my brakes sound like banshees even though my pads are around 60% left and the dealer won't do shit about it.

Yep, Subaru paint is shit and body panels weak as shit too. Very true!
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2011, 10:10 PM   #77
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish77380 View Post
Yep, Subaru paint is shit and body panels weak as shit too. Very true!
Indeed. 09 GR's had to ship with 3M pre-installed on the rear fenders because they would get these very fine chips in them from small debris and dirt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelinIsRich08 View Post
They say not to put it in a low gear when going up a hill? What? Is this if it's modded or just stock?
Stage 1+ STi's. Ridiculous.
      07-14-2011, 11:18 PM   #78
Totti
Troll
Italy
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

I had a 2005 WRX with HKS Hi-Power Cat back and GFB StealthFX BOV only as mods. Car ran and sounded like a dream. The heavy clutch (Occasional 2nd gear grinds) and spartan interior is just part and parcel of what you buy.

This was back in 2005 when for $40,000 the only real competition was from Golf GTi's.
Use the stick like u would a manual. If that doesn't work, put it in D mode and put both hands at 10 and 2. If that doesn't work, just sit on your right hand.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2011, 10:27 AM   #79
richardg
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: MacanGTS, 991.2GT3, E63wagon

I never owned an sti but I did recently drive the new '11 wide body. Interior is shit and it didn't seem to handle well to light inputs BUT I think you could outrun an e9x M from a dig at most lights. From a roll or on the highway I would put my cash on the M3. Stock for stock the M will be faster in most, if not all, situations. Around most tracks the M should be quicker. Small technical courses like waterford hills or autoX events though I think you would be quicker in the STI. Now reliability I cannot speak on, but a 35k STI with another 30k in mods to match a 65k M3 will deuce on damn near anything, let alone an M3. Though I don't think there are many who cross shop M3s and STIs in the real world. Most people will buy the coolest/fastest/nicest car they can afford that fits their image and lifestyle. I think most STI buyers would probably buy a used GTR if they could afford 60-70k. The same way many of us would purchase a Porsche if we could. That's not to say there aren't individuals who can afford much more and choose not too. Another bit of food for thought. Personally I feel my M3 is really hard to enjoy on public roads. IMO anything over 260-300hp is hard to truly enjoy on public roads. You can only safely go so fast and most cars with 300+ hp have awesome suspensions and tires to match. How are you supposed to get near the limits of a car that is built to drive well at 120 when you don't often get above 80. (I am speaking for the majority of us who don't act like an ass while driving) I think you could have more fun with an STI daily, and you will pocket a lot of extra cash. At the end of the day the M3 was an all around package that I love and think you would too.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2011, 11:07 AM   #80
irish77380
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by richardg View Post
I never owned an sti but I did recently drive the new '11 wide body. Interior is shit and it didn't seem to handle well to light inputs BUT I think you could outrun an e9x M from a dig at most lights. From a roll or on the highway I would put my cash on the M3. Stock for stock the M will be faster in most, if not all, situations. Around most tracks the M should be quicker. Small technical courses like waterford hills or autoX events though I think you would be quicker in the STI. Now reliability I cannot speak on, but a 35k STI with another 30k in mods to match a 65k M3 will deuce on damn near anything, let alone an M3. Though I don't think there are many who cross shop M3s and STIs in the real world. Most people will buy the coolest/fastest/nicest car they can afford that fits their image and lifestyle. I think most STI buyers would probably buy a used GTR if they could afford 60-70k. The same way many of us would purchase a Porsche if we could. That's not to say there aren't individuals who can afford much more and choose not too. Another bit of food for thought. Personally I feel my M3 is really hard to enjoy on public roads. IMO anything over 260-300hp is hard to truly enjoy on public roads. You can only safely go so fast and most cars with 300+ hp have awesome suspensions and tires to match. How are you supposed to get near the limits of a car that is built to drive well at 120 when you don't often get above 80. (I am speaking for the majority of us who don't act like an ass while driving) I think you could have more fun with an STI daily, and you will pocket a lot of extra cash. At the end of the day the M3 was an all around package that I love and think you would too.
Well put!! Actually, I persuaded my GF to get a 2011 WRX 5 door recently (in black!!). Think stock it is 265hp, which isnt too far from the STI now. I drive it sometimes for fun, and would definitely get a regular 2011 WRX myself now if shoping in that market instead of an STI (maybe a chip and exhaust too). But my M3 is a different animal!!
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2011, 06:50 AM   #81
irish77380
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by username11 View Post
Ha! Nice one!! Two ugly bitches right there!!
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2011, 10:39 AM   #82
Kartelli
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 15 AW M3 DCT

Forester is actually another bulletproof suv. There is alot of STi swaps happening with them. For the harsh winters, Forester would kick ass! The woman in the picture though... haha someone made a boo boo.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2011, 11:07 AM   #83
Sincity
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M3 vs C63-undecided.EDIT: C63

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardg View Post
Most people will buy the coolest/fastest/nicest car they can afford that fits their image and lifestyle.
True. Though, I would still also like to have a current gen GTI.

Kleemanized C63
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2011, 04:46 PM   #84
BMUUFORLIFE
Registered
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Ha! Nice one!! Two ugly bitches right there!!
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2011, 04:52 PM   #85
irish77380
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kartelli View Post
Forester is actually another bulletproof suv. There is alot of STi swaps happening with them. For the harsh winters, Forester would kick ass! The woman in the picture though... haha someone made a boo boo.

A great 'Lesbo mobile' too!
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2011, 05:13 PM   #86
AngelinIsRich08
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 X5M, '09 CTS

I'd take a Mitsubishi EVO MR over a WRX STi anyday.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2011, 05:21 PM   #87
Kartelli
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 15 AW M3 DCT

Quote:
A great 'Lesbo mobile' too!
lol! agreed!
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2011, 05:50 PM   #88
1Sleeper
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kartelli View Post
Funny, I toyed with the idea of finding an XT "Sport" mt. I saw a few JDM STi versions and I loved the idea of something so practical I could mod the hell out of. That boxer with a few bolt ons happens to sound pretty good too. Came close on an STi when I was getting my last P Car. The Porsche dealer had one he took in on trade with almost no miles. One thing I could never get over was the interior. Just felt so cheap. Got a 335 instead and all was good with the world.
Appreciate 0