BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

EXXEL Distributions

04-08-2011, 09:43 AM   #23
BTM
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: A///MERICAN!!!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragingclue View Post
With QNX at the reins, I see a much more viable and competitive OS on the way from BB. If they try to hold on to their niche, they will probably die. If they open up the platform a bit, at least they have a chance to compete now. BB's only chance is to get away from their roots. If they don't, they're going to die a somewhat slow and very painful death.
My 2c

I'm not sure if they should get away from their roots as much as embrace them and expound upon them. They have always been the more business oriented phone, and from my experiences they are still the best at it. I do see much room for improvement in BBOS but compared to IOS and Android, IMO it is still the best from a pure productivity standpoint. Granted I don't have much extended time on droid but that should be changing soon as I'm going to be using a droid simultaneously with my BB. If people want a phone that's "acceptable" for making calls, emailing, and is very good at websurfing, app running, etc... there are plenty of phones that do this brilliantly...BB will just be another clone in an already populated market. If BB focused on it's business first mentality, expanding the OS to include as seamlessly integrated productive/utility type apps as their calling/emailing/texting is (most of which characterized as such on my iphone were hardly productive), they would maintain their productivity edge, while invariably opening themselves up to "non-critical" functions such as web surfing.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2011, 09:48 AM   #24
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep
Drives: VF

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTM View Post
My 2c

I'm not sure if they should get away from their roots as much as embrace them and expound upon them. They have always been the more business oriented phone, and from my experiences they are still the best at it. I do see much room for improvement in BBOS but compared to IOS and Android, IMO it is still the best from a pure productivity standpoint. Granted I don't have much extended time on droid but that should be changing soon as I'm going to be using a droid simultaneously with my BB. If people want a phone that's "acceptable" for making calls, emailing, and is very good at websurfing, app running, etc... there are plenty of phones that do this brilliantly...BB will just be another clone in an already populated market. If BB focused on it's business first mentality, expanding the OS to include as seamlessly integrated productive/utility type apps as their calling/emailing/texting is (most of which characterized as such on my iphone were hardly productive), they would maintain their productivity edge, while invariably opening themselves up to "non-critical" functions such as web surfing.
I think we're saying the same thing, given different parallaxes. They do need to keep their business image, but their stout refusal to adapt to the other aspects of modern smartphones is what has them in the bind they're in now. They've finally decided to develop a real OS, adopt a webkit browser, and take the blinders off, so-to-speak. The truth is, while BB is productivity-centric, and very good at it, they can only fall so far behind the curve in other areas before it's not enough to offset their shortcomings. They are doing the right thing now; the only question would be whether or not it's soon enough.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2011, 09:54 AM   #25
BTM
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: A///MERICAN!!!

Garage List
Quote:
I think we're saying the same thing, given different parallaxes. They do need to keep their business image, but their stout refusal to adapt to the other aspects of modern smartphones is what has them in the bind they're in now. They've finally decided to develop a real OS, adopt a webkit browser, and take the blinders off, so-to-speak. The truth is, while BB is productivity-centric, and very good at it, they can only fall so far behind the curve in other areas before it's not enough to offset their shortcomings. They are doing the right thing now; the only question would be whether or not it's soon enough.
OK yea sounds like we're on the same page...I've just noticed in other phones that the improvement of "ancillary" functions of the device are often made at the expense of the phone's primary function - communication. I am just hopefull they can improve these other areas without detracting from the device's productivity
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2011, 11:15 AM   #26
M3Bahn
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
They are using a webkit browser in 6.0, I still think it sucks but it is better than other nightmare. Their OS is years behind and they wasted a bunch time on the playbook instead of focusing on their core market.

http://devblog.blackberry.com/2010/0...berry-browser/
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2011, 11:03 AM   #27
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep
Drives: VF

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Bahn View Post
They are using a webkit browser in 6.0, I still think it sucks but it is better than other nightmare. Their OS is years behind and they wasted a bunch time on the playbook instead of focusing on their core market.

http://devblog.blackberry.com/2010/0...berry-browser/
Yeah that's why I said they "finally" adopted a webkit browser after that monstrosity they had before.

I don't think developing for the playbook first was a terrible idea. They'd get that out (optimized OS for a single device with a single resolution and a single possibility of hardware) before they'd be able to come out with an OS that would be adopted for the lineup of phones they have. Plus the Playbook was a sure bet to get the maximum amount of exposure as opposed to just another phone release.

We all know what the Playbook is. It's BB's "bold" statement that change is coming and it's a much better platform for this statement than another Bold/Curve/Torch/Storm rendition. Now what they have to do is keep the momentum and come out with a flagship phone that has hardware comparable to the industry trendsetters without abandoning their roots. That is going to be the tricky part. I have no doubt QNX is the answer to their former OS dilemma, now they just need to fix their other shortcomings before they bleed to death.
Appreciate 0