BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Politics/Religion

European Auto Source

07-18-2015, 11:57 AM   #1
Dalko43
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 Toyota 4Runner Trail

Garage List
Is Jalopnik becoming too political?

I will start off by saying, I love this era when it comes to car journalism and car media in general (DIY videos, project blogs, track day experiences, ect.). Between the traditional magazines (MotorTrend, Car & Driver, EVO, Road & Track, the list goes on) that have put huge investments of time and resources into their online media and relatively newer journalist and vendor groups that provide car media/journalism purely via the internet (/Drive, Jalopnik, Mighty Car Mods, Bavarian Auto, Eric the Car Guy, there are too many to name), the end user has a lot of options to chose from when it comes to viewing car-related content.

A favorite of mine is Jalopnik because of the diversity of subjects they discuss and their links to other car-related websites (like TruckYeah). But I have to say, I have found Jalopnik to be a bit annoying as of late. The past few times when I have gone to their site to check for new stories or videos, I have seen side-links (on the left side of their home page) directing users to places like Gawker and Jezebel, both of which are very opinionated and specifically-focused political blog sites (for anyone not already familiar with them).

Now, it's not like you have to click on these links and read their content, but why are they even linked to Jalopnik to begin with? When I go to Jalopnik, it's because I want to escape the frustrations and mundane nature of everyday life (including the political problems/debates that frequently inhabit this country of ours). I don't want to see links to some online blog ranting about how Donald Trump is a horrible person (not that I have any real admiration for the man) or a dissection of Hulk Hogan's private sex life.

When I go to Jalopnik, I want to read articles and watch videos about cars...yeah okay, some articles about the political aspects of Formula 1 or how EPA regulations affect the car industry not only make sense but should be included. Despite their 'political' nature, these types of articles are germane to the world of cars....Is it asking too much for Jalopnik to trim the rest of the gossip and opinionated "fat" that really has nothing to do with my addiction to automobiles?

Am I alone in this? Do other people agree? Have different views? Please share.

Last edited by Dalko43; 07-18-2015 at 12:07 PM.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2015, 12:01 PM   #2
Dalko43
Captain
Rep

Garage List
To add some substance to what I am saying, here are two articles (one from Jezebel the other from Gawker) that I found linked to Jalopnik's main page today:

http://jezebel.com/scott-disick-is-s...ife-1718761825

http://politburo.gawker.com/a-statem...aff-1718649722

Maybe some people here find these articles interesting and worth reading. Maybe some of you don't. Is this the type of content you want to see links to when you go to a car site?
      07-18-2015, 01:31 PM   #3
E86Z
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 3.0si

I kind of agree with this, I don't care what those celebs are up to. I do however want top gear cast news and what car Mr Harris is ripping this week.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2015, 09:14 AM   #4
SoCal235
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M235

So, you don't like the other sites in the gawker network. Simple fix, don't read them.

I just perused the front page of jalopnik, and saw no politically themed articles at all. What I did see were 3 articles that are popular on their other sites, had links in a very small area on the top left of my screen. If you can't handle that, maybe you need to think about your own lack of tolerance for other opinions.

edit: here's a screenshot from what on there now. Not a whole lot of political stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by E86Z View Post
I kind of agree with this, I don't care what those celebs are up to. I do however want top gear cast news and what car Mr Harris is ripping this week.
Yeah, I wonder who Clarkson is beating up for a meal this week?

Last edited by SoCal235; 07-20-2015 at 09:21 AM.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2015, 11:00 AM   #5
other_evolved
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk

I just don't click the links, and move on with my day. It seems like something pretty mundane/harmless to get aggrivated by, no?
      07-20-2015, 01:10 PM   #6
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335i M-Sport

I just ignore them. They're all part of the Gawker media business so it's reasonable that they'd advertise them across platforms.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2015, 01:23 PM   #7
Dalko43
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal235 View Post
So, you don't like the other sites in the gawker network. Simple fix, don't read them.
Thank you for restating something that has already been said. I acknowledged, from the get go, that any visitor to Japlonik can simply choose to refrain from clicking on the linked sites.

But as I said earlier, the bigger issue is why is Jalopnik linking itself to these politcal/gossip sites to begin with? Jalopnik is a car site...people go there to read up or watch videos on cars...why do they also post links to political bloggers and professional gossip artists? The political/gossip content is not directly on Jalopnik's page, but the fact that links to said articles exist on Jalopnik does gives off a scent of influence or relationship between Jalopnik and the previously mentioned sites (Gawker, Jezebel, ect.).

So my question, which you chose not to answer, is why does Jalopnik even have to have links to those kinds of websites?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal235 View Post
I just perused the front page of jalopnik, and saw no politically themed articles at all. What I did see were 3 articles that are popular on their other sites, had links in a very small area on the top left of my screen. If you can't handle that, maybe you need to think about your own lack of tolerance for other opinions.

edit: here's a screenshot from what on there now. Not a whole lot of political stuff.

Yeah, please note that the links on Jalopnik's page change up quite frequently. Your example doesn't really prove anything. I have seen links to blogs ranting about how Donald Trump is a horrible Presidential candidate and other content which is quite obviously biased towards one political perspective over any others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by other_evolved View Post
I just don't click the links, and move on with my day. It seems like something pretty mundane/harmless to get aggrivated by, no?
While I said I was frustrated, I wouldn't consider myself "worked up" on this issue. I enjoy a lot of the content Jalopnik puts out. I just don't see why they have to associate themselves with political and gossip blog sites...that's not what car culture is about. So why do they have to include links to that stuff?

I think what you and the SoCal235 are missing is the perception that this gives off. Previously, I never had any reason to suspect that Jalopnik had any political motivations (overt or covert) in their journalistic activities....I simply thought they were a bunch of journalists who were into cars. But when I see links to websites that very clearly advocate for certain political causes over others, I personally start to question how Jalopnik works and who has influence over them.
      07-20-2015, 04:37 PM   #8
SoCal235
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M235

Dalko, you seem to lack a basic understanding of what a blog network is. Just because you are ignorant, doesn't mean Jalopnik is trying to shove political news down your throats.

What's your feeling about national handjob day in Japan?
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2015, 05:08 PM   #9
Z K
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, B8.5 A4

Blog networks link to each other to drive traffic. That is how it makes money. The more eyeballs on their sites, the more money they make. They all link to one another so they can drive cross traffic.

I don't think Jalopnik is political at all. Some other Gawker sites may be but Jalopnik centers itself on cars and other motor vehicles.
      07-20-2015, 05:17 PM   #10
shadow191
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 Volvo XC90 R-Design

Gawker owns all of those so I'm not sure of what the problem is. These sites make all their money from advertising and pricing on that is based on page views. If a few more people click on Jezebel or Gawker from the Jalopnik site, they make more money.

Not sure what the problem is here? Non of the websites are overtly political, the headlines are just click bait and provocative for a reason. Don't like it, just don't click on the link. If an actual article on Jalopnik was political, I'd see your problem.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2015, 10:32 AM   #11
DF
Major
Rep
Drives: F23

I would assume it's just a news feed that generates some revenue. I doubt the control it
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2015, 11:12 AM   #12
jeveryday
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 535i xDrive

Theyre ran by Gawker, guess it has to be expected. With the site generating millions of views a month its only right that they use it as as outlet.

I agree its annoying but it has to be expected
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2015, 11:50 PM   #13
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

So, I hadn't heard of Jalopnik until I read the OP. I clicked on the Jalopnik homepage to check it out. I have say I rather like the very clean, sparse homepage. I especially like the complete absence of ads, Flash, and stuff popping up when I first arrive on a page, stuff popping up because my mouse hovers over something, video that I can't close until after some elapsed quantity of seconds, sites that want my Facebook login in order for me to view their content, etc!

I then clicked on the article " Do you trust the specs provided by car makers? Should you?" Blessedly, all that was there were links to more articles by the same author, the article itself, and comments. I didn't scroll past the comments. Heck, I didn't even read the comments, for, as with most of what I read on the WWW, I normally don't read comments from the "peanut gallery."

I did notice at the top left of the homepage three linked articles from other sites, one of which is Gawker. (I've never visited Gawker. I don't know that I ever will.) As for the external links on the Jalopnik front page....well, if having them there somehow keeps Jalopnik otherwise free of all that stuff that I generally find annoying about most so-called "sophisticated" websites, then I say leave it there. It seems a very small price to pay for an otherwise super easy to use and super fast and clean website/blog.

All the best.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 1
      07-22-2015, 05:57 AM   #14
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony20009 View Post
So, I hadn't heard of Jalopnik until I read the OP. I clicked on the Jalopnik homepage to check it out. I have say I rather like the very clean, sparse homepage. I especially like the complete absence of ads, Flash, and stuff popping up when I first arrive on a page, stuff popping up because my mouse hovers over something, video that I can't close until after some elapsed quantity of seconds, sites that want my Facebook login in order for me to view their content, etc!

I then clicked on the article " Do you trust the specs provided by car makers? Should you?" Blessedly, all that was there were links to more articles by the same author, the article itself, and comments. I didn't scroll past the comments. Heck, I didn't even read the comments, for, as with most of what I read on the WWW, I normally don't read comments from the "peanut gallery."

I did notice at the top left of the homepage three linked articles from other sites, one of which is Gawker. (I've never visited Gawker. I don't know that I ever will.) As for the external links on the Jalopnik front page....well, if having them there somehow keeps Jalopnik otherwise free of all that stuff that I generally find annoying about most so-called "sophisticated" websites, then I say leave it there. It seems a very small price to pay for an otherwise super easy to use and super fast and clean website/blog.

All the best.
Well, now, don't you know, I sit corrected. I have now been to a Gawker page: http://gawker.com/theres-a-restauran...ure-1585930507 .

I was discussing ways to eat insects with someone and we ended up both discovering that Occidental Grill served bugs at least once. Just goes to show that one really never can say "never."

All the best.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2015, 01:34 PM   #15
Z K
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, B8.5 A4

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony20009 View Post
Well, now, don't you know, I sit corrected. I have now been to a Gawker page: http://gawker.com/theres-a-restauran...ure-1585930507 .

I was discussing ways to eat insects with someone and we ended up both discovering that Occidental Grill served bugs at least once. Just goes to show that one really never can say "never."

All the best.
That's how these blog networks draw you in. You read some articles you like, then they link you to other articles you may like as well. They try to saturate article/blog entries with most things people are interested so you'll find something you want to read no matter that it is.

Most of Gawker's stuff is entertaining to read but they never dive deeply into any topic.
      07-26-2015, 06:34 PM   #16
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z K View Post
That's how these blog networks draw you in. You read some articles you like, then they link you to other articles you may like as well. They try to saturate article/blog entries with most things people are interested so you'll find something you want to read no matter that it is.

Most of Gawker's stuff is entertaining to read but they never dive deeply into any topic.
Yes, well as more than a few of my posts show, I'm all about "deep dives." Sound bites and poorly developed thoughts just don't work for me. There's just something about "half the story" that just doesn't sit right with me. I don't know why I'm like that; I just know I am and that I don't mind that I am.

All the best.

Appreciate 0
      08-06-2015, 11:29 AM   #17
Dalko43
Captain
Rep

Garage List
There is actually quite a bit of ad content on Jalopnik's page. I'm fairly certain that's how these free-content blog sites earn their money.

As well, I'm noticing that linked articles to other blog sites (I'm guessing linked to the Gawker media network) are now listed not only on the side panel but also spaced intermittently throughout the main body of Jalopnik's article listings.

I realize Gawker media owns Jalopnik. It's somewhat disappointing that auto enthusiasts have to sift through more unrelated (and at times political) junk when they go to a car website. In fact, when you compare Jalopnik to how clean and focused other sites are (/Drive, Car&Driver, Road&Track, MotorTrend, EVO) I think Jalonik will eventually trouble retaining viewership if they keep this up....I don't remember there being this much unrelated junk on their website 8 months ago.
      08-06-2015, 02:01 PM   #18
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalko43 View Post
There is actually quite a bit of ad content on Jalopnik's page. I'm fairly certain that's how these free-content blog sites earn their money.

As well, I'm noticing that linked articles to other blog sites (I'm guessing linked to the Gawker media network) are now listed not only on the side panel but also spaced intermittently throughout the main body of Jalopnik's article listings.

I realize Gawker media owns Jalopnik. It's somewhat disappointing that auto enthusiasts have to sift through more unrelated (and at times political) junk when they go to a car website. In fact, when you compare Jalopnik to how clean and focused other sites are (/Drive, Car&Driver, Road&Track, MotorTrend, EVO) I think Jalonik will eventually trouble retaining viewership if they keep this up....I don't remember there being this much unrelated junk on their website 8 months ago.
It appears their pages have added ad content/links since this thread opened. Perhaps they are reading the thread and have thus realized they were behind the curve when it came to generating ad revenue?

All the best.

Appreciate 0
      08-06-2015, 03:45 PM   #19
Dalko43
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Ad revenue is understandable...posting links to a journalist-in-training's musings over Donald Trump's hair style is something I could do without.

And like I said, they've been hosting ads on their site for sometime...that's how they make their money.
      08-06-2015, 03:52 PM   #20
other_evolved
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk

Quote:

Anecdotal warning: I haven't visted Drive, C&D, R&T websites in yearrssssss. I doubt Jalop will have much of an issue.
      08-06-2015, 04:43 PM   #21
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Ad revenue is understandable...posting links to a journalist-in-training's musings over Donald Trump's hair style is something I could do without.

And like I said, they've been hosting ads on their site for sometime...that's how they make their money.
I gotta say, I still don't quite get the point behind the gripe about the links. I don't get it because I'm incredulous that merely by seeing yet not clicking on them one is necessarily "frustrated."
Quote:
... I go to Jalopnik, it's because I want to escape the frustrations and mundane nature of everyday life. ....Is it asking too much for Jalopnik to trim the rest of the gossip and opinionated "fat" that really has nothing to do with my addiction to automobiles?....
Clearly, Jalopnik's owners think the answer to your question is "yes." Perhaps that makes you not part of their target audience insofar as your answer would be "no" and that they differ with you so frustrates you that rather than "get over it and move on," you opted to dwell on it and create a thread to discuss it.

Have you considered instead starting your own automotive blog that contains only what you want to see? That way, you could link to Jalopnik, but not to the other stuff you don't want to see. This is one "dilemma" about which instead of griping about it, you could take action and do something, something wholly within your control, about it.

All the best.

Appreciate 0
      08-06-2015, 04:51 PM   #22
The Wind Breezes
Major
Rep
Drives: 135i N55 DCT

Jalopnik is so annoying to read that I don't even go there anymore. Too many totally irrelevant and aggravating headlines when I just want to read about cars.
Appreciate 1