BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Politics/Religion

GetBMWParts

06-26-2015, 10:24 AM   #1
SoCal235
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M235

Marriage Equality for All

In a 5-4 decision, the US Supreme Court has decided that all states must recognize same-sex marriages. This is a victory for equality in the US. Finally everyone has the right to be miserable with their SO. You can read more at your favorite news site:

Faux News Article

MSNBC Article

C-Span Article

If Dalko needs more links, here is a great place to check
Appreciate 2
      06-26-2015, 10:31 AM   #2
DF
Major
Rep
Drives: F23

10 years ago I would have said this probably wouldn't happen in my lifetime. It's a long time coming. I'm so glad they did the right thing and put this to bed finally
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2015, 10:42 AM   #3
C5driver
Major
Rep
Drives: 55...just kidding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DF View Post
I'm so glad they did the right thing and put this to bed finally
Agreed. Long overdue.
      06-26-2015, 10:58 AM   #4
Delta0311
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335xi E92 2016 228xi

AWESOME!! Now I can just sit back and enjoy the show when the over flamboyant gay divorces get televised.
You can detect right away those that are going to be shaky, and that will fall behind and those that are very hungry, and that hunger you will have to develop. You gotta create a goal for yourself whatever that may be, a short term goal and a long term goal and you gotta go after that. And if you don’t see it, and if you don’t believe it, who else will?
Arnold Schwarzenegger

Last edited by Delta0311; 06-26-2015 at 10:50 PM.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2015, 11:27 AM   #5
C5driver
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta0311 View Post
No I can just sit back and enjoy the show when the over flamboyant gay divorces get televised.
*screams like a little girl*
      06-26-2015, 11:41 AM   #6
avantegardestyle
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 ///M3 SG

So gay people who could live their lives have partners and not have to deal with the headaches that come with (legal) marriage and divorce, fought all the way to the supreme court to give themselves more headaches and the government more power over their lives.............Great day for the people!

the government just got more powerful and made millions more dollars for themselves in marriage and divorce fees and taxes on lawyers incomes.

As an old wise man I knew once said: you may get what you want but don't like what you get.......
Appreciate 1
      06-26-2015, 11:47 AM   #7
C5driver
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by avantegardestyle View Post
As an old wise man I knew once said: you may get what you want but don't like what you get.......
The law of unintended consequences.
      06-26-2015, 03:18 PM   #8
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal235 View Post
In a 5-4 decision, the US Supreme Court has decided that all states must recognize same-sex marriages. This is a victory for equality in the US. Finally everyone has the right to be miserable with their SO. You can read more at your favorite news site:

Faux News Article

MSNBC Article

C-Span Article

If Dalko needs more links, here is a great place to check
I think it was a great decision, but I also think gay folks need to be careful of what they ask for, because along with marriage comes divorce. LOL

All the best.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2015, 03:40 PM   #9
pikkagtr
Go Spurs Go
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 YMB M3

I foresee a new reality show
The real house husbands of San Francisco
Appreciate 1
      06-26-2015, 03:48 PM   #10
Revartr
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M4

This was a long time coming, and I'm honestly both surprised and ecstatic that it happened this soon. I have several LGBT friends who I'm happy will now have the opportunity to live their lives with just as many rights as the rest of us.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2015, 03:57 PM   #11
bmw1racer
bimmerphile, technogeek
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 128i Coupe 6MT Sport

Garage List
It's about damn time.
      06-26-2015, 09:57 PM   #12
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something Italian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avantegardestyle View Post
So gay people who could live their lives have partners and not have to deal with the headaches that come with (legal) marriage and divorce, fought all the way to the supreme court to give themselves more headaches and the government more power over their lives.............Great day for the people!

the government just got more powerful and made millions more dollars for themselves in marriage and divorce fees and taxes on lawyers incomes.

It seems the fed can use the controversy of gay marriage debates as a distraction for several years. Now they've used it gain even more power right under the "people's" noses. And no one cares.

I should also say that the gay community deserves equal rights in all aspects of life and i'm glad they now have it. If the states would have gotten off their asses and turned marriage licenses into civil unions a long time ago, none of this would have happened. They had plenty of opportunity find an equitable solution. This is what happens when problems don't get handled head on.

Last edited by Mr Tonka; 06-27-2015 at 10:07 PM.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2015, 12:40 PM   #13
Greyfox
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Good... now they can quit complaining about not being able to get married and can now start complaining about getting bent over about being married and income taxes.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2015, 01:54 PM   #14
NickyC
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: YMB M4, has a roof though. :(

At the very least I'm glad to see one meaningless distraction taken care off. I'd love to see the day when people cared much more about what their government and central banks are doing to them than some stupid rainbow.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2015, 02:15 PM   #15
phrozen06
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 328i Sport Wagon, RIP 08 M3

So the LGBT community wants to participate in something that the Straight community has been terrible at doing?
      06-28-2015, 02:46 PM   #16
bmw1racer
bimmerphile, technogeek
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 128i Coupe 6MT Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by phrozen06 View Post
So the LGBT community wants to participate in something that the Straight community has been terrible at doing?
LOL, that's right... Give them a chance to eff things up like the rest of us.
      06-28-2015, 03:29 PM   #17
DF
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyC View Post
At the very least I'm glad to see one meaningless distraction taken care off. I'd love to see the day when people cared much more about what their government and central banks are doing to them than some stupid rainbow.
That has to be one of the most ignorant things i've read on the topic. And this is what "their government" was doing to them. you are contradicting yourself. I get you don't like it.

Last edited by DF; 06-28-2015 at 03:34 PM.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2015, 03:32 PM   #18
phrozen06
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 328i Sport Wagon, RIP 08 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by phrozen06 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw1racer View Post
LOL, that's right... Give them a chance to eff things up like the rest of us.
      06-28-2015, 05:20 PM   #19
NickyC
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
That has to be one of the most ignorant things i've read on the topic. And this is what "their government" was doing to them. you are contradicting yourself. I get you don't like it.
Before you start calling people ignorant, you should certainly work on basic sentence structure, grammar, capitalization, and punctuation. Your writing is an embarrassment.

As well, you forgot to say I'm full of "hatred". Make sure you get the whole progressive line of increasingly meaningless words in your posts. It makes you sound much more trendy.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2015, 06:05 PM   #20
DF
Major
Rep

Quote:
Before you start calling people ignorant, you should certainly work on basic sentence structure, grammar, capitalization, and punctuation. Your writing is an embarrassment.

As well, you forgot to say I'm full of "hatred". Make sure you get the whole progressive line of increasingly meaningless words in your posts. It makes you sound much more trendy.
I don't know if you are full of hatred. I tend to doubt it. But you are ignorant as it relates to that one post. And hypocritical. But I kinda dig it. It makes reading these threads more entertaining. But as you stated. Now that's it's over we can focus on other equally pressing governmental issues

Just because you brought it up and would find it ironic. I write for a living. I actually get paid to do it. I use an iPad at home without a key board and often don't catch the auto correct and am too lazy to go back and fix them. Go figure

Last edited by DF; 06-28-2015 at 06:37 PM.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2015, 12:06 AM   #21
NickyC
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
I don't know if you are full of hatred. I tend to doubt it. But you are ignorant as it relates to that one post. And hypocritical. But I kinda dig it. It makes reading these threads more entertaining. But as you stated. Now that's it's over we can focus on other equally pressing governmental issues

Just because you brought it up and would find it ironic. I write for a living. I actually get paid to do it. I use an iPad at home without a key board and often don't catch the auto correct and am too lazy to go back and fix them. Go figure
Since you continue to call me ignorant, allow me to explain my position as to why this decision only empowers the government even more.

Read the Constitution, you will see that it is silent on the issue of marriage. In our founding document, marriage was seen as a local issue and not one which the government should be involved in. Our framers, in all of their wisdom, saw marriage as a natural right which fell within the broader definition of liberty. With this recent decision, you have now invited the government and its vast police power into churches, religious organizations, religious schools, etc. This decision has now also given the government the power to come in and tax same sex marriage, regulate it, and do all the sorts of things that people loathe about government.

You call me ignorant because you believe this decision was a "win" against government oppression, when the exact opposite is the case. This should have remained a State's right issue, but now the power of the Federal Government has been expanded in yet another sphere where it should have no influence at all according to our Constitution.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2015, 01:44 AM   #22
DF
Major
Rep

Quote:
Since you continue to call me ignorant, allow me to explain my position as to why this decision only empowers the government even more.

Read the Constitution, you will see that it is silent on the issue of marriage. In our founding document, marriage was seen as a local issue and not one which the government should be involved in. Our framers, in all of their wisdom, saw marriage as a natural right which fell within the broader definition of liberty. With this recent decision, you have now invited the government and its vast police power into churches, religious organizations, religious schools, etc. This decision has now also given the government the power to come in and tax same sex marriage, regulate it, and do all the sorts of things that people loathe about government.

You call me ignorant because you believe this decision was a "win" against government oppression, when the exact opposite is the case. This should have remained a State's right issue, but now the power of the Federal Government has been expanded in yet another sphere where it should have no influence at all according to our Constitution.
This doesn't extend government involvement. It's the same as it was before. The government has been in the marriage business for generations. And it can't be a states Rights issue. Marriage is portable.

This was a blow against oppression. Specifically local government oppression and a win for liberty. Unless there is a movement to end marriage on the federal level this is what you get. If local governments didn't use their oppression this wouldn't have happened
Appreciate 0