BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Politics/Religion
 
Lux Angel Eyes
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      06-25-2015, 02:12 AM   #1
BAMFM3
Private First Class
BAMFM3's Avatar
23
Rep
179
Posts

Drives: 2013 MW E92 M3 DCT
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: NC

iTrader: (4)

"I知 offended that everyone is offended by something!"

As this article puts it...this guy nails it!

http://yellowhammernews.com/politics...-by-something/
__________________
///M Power!
13 Mineral White E92 M3 DCT
12 Glacier White B8 S4 DSG (Sold)
11 Melbourne Red E92 M3 6MT (Sold)
09 Jet Black E92 M3 DCT (Sold)
Appreciate 2
      06-25-2015, 09:52 AM   #2
bmwmsport
Captain
bmwmsport's Avatar
United_States
107
Rep
951
Posts

Drives: E90 335i
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Jackson, MS

iTrader: (0)

That made my day better

Well said, my friend.

Best part:
"I知 offended that people care more about taking down an outdated Confederate flag but don稚 get riled up when their American flag is being burned in the street."

Maybe because that's a really big deal down here right now.
__________________
2010 E90 335i Le Mans Blue Metallic // Saddle Brown // M Sport // iDrive // Comfort Access // Blown By Twins
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2015, 11:22 AM   #3
C5driver
Major
C5driver's Avatar
3338
Rep
1,206
Posts

Drives: 55...just kidding.
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: 33.6167ー N, 117.8975ー W

iTrader: (0)

This is necessary, but like so many other necessary voices, it will be unheard among the cacophony of the "disenfranchised", "marginalized", special interest groups, and those that lack critical and most importantly, independent thinking.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2015, 11:23 AM   #4
C5driver
Major
C5driver's Avatar
3338
Rep
1,206
Posts

Drives: 55...just kidding.
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: 33.6167ー N, 117.8975ー W

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwmsport View Post
Best part:
"I知 offended that people care more about taking down an outdated Confederate flag but don稚 get riled up when their American flag is being burned in the street."

Maybe because that's a really big deal down here right now.
It's the Easy Button. People like to push it because it doesn't require thought
__________________
Appreciate 1
      06-25-2015, 12:16 PM   #5
SoCal235
Private First Class
61
Rep
166
Posts

Drives: M235
Join Date: May 2014
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (0)

That some top level bullshit right there. Here's my favorite part:

"I知 offended that fast food workers get paid more than my soldiers yet still expect to get paid more than nurses."

Huh? Who ever said fast food workers are trying to be paid more than nurses. Holy hell that is some hyperbole.

Sounds like another white male that has no ability to understand the plight of others that are less fortunate than him.
Appreciate 1
      06-25-2015, 01:06 PM   #6
bmwmsport
Captain
bmwmsport's Avatar
United_States
107
Rep
951
Posts

Drives: E90 335i
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Jackson, MS

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal235 View Post
That some top level bullshit right there. Here's my favorite part:

"I知 offended that fast food workers get paid more than my soldiers yet still expect to get paid more than nurses."

Huh? Who ever said fast food workers are trying to be paid more than nurses. Holy hell that is some hyperbole.

Sounds like another white male that has no ability to understand the plight of others that are less fortunate than him.
"The BLS reports the median salary for a registered nurse was $66,220 in 2013."- US News

Basic pay for soldiers was $35,000/yr at its highest.
http://www.goarmy.com/benefits/money...-soldiers.html

If the guy flipping burgers wants $15/yr, that equates to $31,200/yr. Minimum skills = minimum pay.

I think he understands the "plight of others that are less fortunate than him." I don't see why a soldier on the grounds in Iraq should make less than the person flipping burgers at Wendys. Minimum wage jobs are for highschoolers looking for some spending money, it wasn't designed to support a family of four.

Plus, if you don't like where you are, work a little. Go to school. You can work yourself out of poverty.
__________________
2010 E90 335i Le Mans Blue Metallic // Saddle Brown // M Sport // iDrive // Comfort Access // Blown By Twins
Appreciate 1
      06-25-2015, 01:09 PM   #7
SoCal235
Private First Class
61
Rep
166
Posts

Drives: M235
Join Date: May 2014
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwmsport View Post
"The BLS reports the median salary for a registered nurse was $66,220 in 2013."- US News

Basic pay for soldiers was $35,000/yr at its highest.
http://www.goarmy.com/benefits/money...-soldiers.html

If the guy flipping burgers wants $15/yr, that equates to $31,200/yr. Minimum skills = minimum pay.

I think he understands the "plight of others that are less fortunate than him." I don't see why a soldier on the grounds in Iraq should make less than the person flipping burgers at Wendys. Minimum wage jobs are for highschoolers looking for some spending money, it wasn't designed to support a family of four.

Plus, if you don't like where you are, work a little. Go to school. You can work yourself out of poverty.
The math you provided actually back up my statements. Quick tip, 1 < 2.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2015, 01:13 PM   #8
C5driver
Major
C5driver's Avatar
3338
Rep
1,206
Posts

Drives: 55...just kidding.
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: 33.6167ー N, 117.8975ー W

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal235 View Post
Sounds like another white male that has no ability to understand the plight of others that are less fortunate than him.
Prejudice much?
__________________
Appreciate 2
      06-25-2015, 01:14 PM   #9
bmwmsport
Captain
bmwmsport's Avatar
United_States
107
Rep
951
Posts

Drives: E90 335i
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Jackson, MS

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal235 View Post
The math you provided actually back up my statements. Quick tip, 1 < 2.
I know.

I believe he was referencing ambulance workers. They make an average of $11.13/hr.
http://www.ehow.com/info_8213553_ave...ce-worker.html

My point is fast food workers shouldn't make more than the soldiers defending them nor the ambulance workers there to pick them up when they get hurt.
__________________
2010 E90 335i Le Mans Blue Metallic // Saddle Brown // M Sport // iDrive // Comfort Access // Blown By Twins
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2015, 01:46 PM   #10
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
UncleWede's Avatar
United_States
3477
Rep
4,799
Posts

Drives: E90 325i Arctic
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Oxnard, CA

iTrader: (0)

First, I totally respect the things our men and women in uniform do for the county.

That being said, a soldier has no living expenses if s/he chooses to live in the barracks. 2 years of service, with minimal tattooing and drinking = a brand new BMW. For some of the smarter ones, they save up that money, and do the ED on the way home. IMHO, they deserve nothing less.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2015, 01:54 PM   #11
C5driver
Major
C5driver's Avatar
3338
Rep
1,206
Posts

Drives: 55...just kidding.
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: 33.6167ー N, 117.8975ー W

iTrader: (0)

The similarity (generalizing, of course), is choice. A soldier chooses to enter service, no different than any other profession.

The difference (generalizing, of course), is that you don't hear soldiers complaining about pay.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2015, 02:00 PM   #12
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
UncleWede's Avatar
United_States
3477
Rep
4,799
Posts

Drives: E90 325i Arctic
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Oxnard, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by C5driver View Post
A soldier chooses to enter service, no different than any other profession. .
Not so very long ago, this was not exactly true. I remember registering early myself but was never drafted (didn't make the cut due to diabetes)
Appreciate 1
      06-25-2015, 02:09 PM   #13
Dave 90TT
Major
United_States
503
Rep
1,442
Posts

Drives: BSM 6MT M4 F82
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Colorado Springs

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
Not so very long ago, this was not exactly true. I remember registering early myself but was never drafted (didn't make the cut due to diabetes)
The last time the draft was actually used in the US was 1973. 42 years ago. So while, yes, all males still have to register for the draft, the US military is completely volunteer at this point. I remember reading a few years back (circa 2008) that the last person who had been drafted that was still in was retiring from active service.

At this point, I think the only way the draft would be used (due to concerns about the effectiveness of a conscription force in modern warfare) would be a large scale, conventional (or nuclear) attack on US soil by an actual near peer competitor (China, Russia, perhaps India are the only ones that come to mind).

All that aside, I do agree with the majority of what the author says. The 'offended' class or the 'victim class' in the US has gone too far and grown too large.
__________________
2015 Black Sapphire Metallic 6MT M4
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2015, 03:17 PM   #14
bmwmsport
Captain
bmwmsport's Avatar
United_States
107
Rep
951
Posts

Drives: E90 335i
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Jackson, MS

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 90TT View Post

All that aside, I do agree with the majority of what the author says. The 'offended' class or the 'victim class' in the US has gone too far and grown too large.
+100
__________________
2010 E90 335i Le Mans Blue Metallic // Saddle Brown // M Sport // iDrive // Comfort Access // Blown By Twins
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2015, 03:53 PM   #15
SoCal235
Private First Class
61
Rep
166
Posts

Drives: M235
Join Date: May 2014
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwmsport View Post
I know.

I believe he was referencing ambulance workers. They make an average of $11.13/hr.
http://www.ehow.com/info_8213553_ave...ce-worker.html

My point is fast food workers shouldn't make more than the soldiers defending them nor the ambulance workers there to pick them up when they get hurt.
No actually, from the article you posted, the said the following:

"I知 offended that fast food workers get paid more than my soldiers yet still expect to get paid more than nurses."

He didn't say ambulance workers. He's using hyperbole to try and make his point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by C5driver View Post
Prejudice much?
He's the one that identified himself that way, not me. I was expressing no prejudice, in fact I wasn't judging him with that statement at all, I was using the same adjective to describe him as he did. Here's what he said:

"I知 offended that because I知 a white male, people automatically classify me as privileged, regardless of knowing where I致e come from or what I致e been through.
..."


FWIW I am a middle-aged white male as well, but I can see that some people have a tougher struggle in this world than I do. It appears this gentleman doesn't.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2015, 03:55 PM   #16
SoCal235
Private First Class
61
Rep
166
Posts

Drives: M235
Join Date: May 2014
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by C5driver View Post
The similarity (generalizing, of course), is choice. A soldier chooses to enter service, no different than any other profession.

The difference (generalizing, of course), is that you don't hear soldiers complaining about pay.
This article literally has a soldier complaining about his soldiers not getting paid enough.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2015, 04:05 PM   #17
bmwmsport
Captain
bmwmsport's Avatar
United_States
107
Rep
951
Posts

Drives: E90 335i
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Jackson, MS

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal235 View Post
This article literally has a soldier complaining about his soldiers not getting paid enough.
I think you got something else out of it compared to the rest of us... I didn't see that anywhere at all.
__________________
2010 E90 335i Le Mans Blue Metallic // Saddle Brown // M Sport // iDrive // Comfort Access // Blown By Twins
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2015, 04:53 PM   #18
///M Villain
Second Lieutenant
///M Villain's Avatar
67
Rep
252
Posts

Drives: Bmw M4
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Atlanta, Ga.

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by C5driver View Post
The similarity (generalizing, of course), is choice. A soldier chooses to enter service, no different than any other profession.

The difference (generalizing, of course), is that you don't hear soldiers complaining about pay.
Not to come at you in any way, but where have you been. Enlisted service members aren't at all happy with their pay. Throughout the years you see reports of service members on welfare barely making it with a wife and two to three kids. The only service members that get paid well are those who went to college and became Officers. And some branches of the Military enlisted members can't rank with a good evaluation and test scores, which is the standard for ranking to make more money. The reason for that is closed rates "jobs like Electrician Mate" from surplus of personnel in that job field along with a few other reasons.

But to the topic here; I think it's safe to say that this side disagrees with that side not because we can't see the problem, but because people don't care and want to disagree just to disagree and have things their way even if it's creating unnecessary issues. I'm all about fair-minded thinking, but some things don't have a light side to them which in this instance would be the Confederate flag. How would the most patriotic citizens feel if the British flag flew over states and capitals? Even though these two flag hardly represent the same, I'm just wonder how people would feel if this had been someone attacking a mixed group of "Americans" waving the British flag. How are we as a country going to stop terrorism from outside our waters, when secretly we hate eachother and cling to symbols that have been turned into hate badges?
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2015, 05:04 PM   #19
C5driver
Major
C5driver's Avatar
3338
Rep
1,206
Posts

Drives: 55...just kidding.
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: 33.6167ー N, 117.8975ー W

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Villain View Post
Not to come at you in any way, but where have you been. Enlisted service members aren't at all happy with their pay.
No worries. We're only having a discussion here

My perspective is based on a couple kids (officer cadets) and more than a few friends and co-workers (enlisted). It's true that their pay doesn't approach the private sector, let alone public/private sector union jobs, but like any position, it wasn't an unknown factor when they made the decision to accept the position.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2015, 05:46 PM   #20
tony20009
Major General
tony20009's Avatar
United_States
845
Rep
5,665
Posts

Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Washington, DC

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwmsport View Post
"The BLS reports the median salary for a registered nurse was $66,220 in 2013."- US News

Basic pay for soldiers was $35,000/yr at its highest.
http://www.goarmy.com/benefits/money...-soldiers.html

If the guy flipping burgers wants $15/yr, that equates to $31,200/yr. Minimum skills = minimum pay.

I think he understands the "plight of others that are less fortunate than him." I don't see why a soldier on the grounds in Iraq should make less than the person flipping burgers at Wendys. Minimum wage jobs are for highschoolers looking for some spending money, it wasn't designed to support a family of four.

Plus, if you don't like where you are, work a little. Go to school. You can work yourself out of poverty.
What do active duty servicemen receive that a minimum wage earner does not receive?
I don't think servicemen could not stand to be better paid. I wouldn't oppose a pay increase for them. I'm just saying that the info you cited omits a significant portion of the full picture.

I don't know why it is that so many folks will latch on to one little factoid, one little "sound bite," and then make some proclamation based on it. Things in this world are rarely that simple.

All the best.
__________________
Cheers,
Tony

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2015, 05:51 PM   #21
C5driver
Major
C5driver's Avatar
3338
Rep
1,206
Posts

Drives: 55...just kidding.
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: 33.6167ー N, 117.8975ー W

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony20009 View Post
Things in this world are rarely that simple.
+1 gagillion million.

Supporting facts and critical thinking and stuff like that.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2015, 06:58 PM   #22
direwolfM3
Private
47
Rep
88
Posts

Drives: 2015 F80 M3
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: chicago

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwmsport View Post

Plus, if you don't like where you are, work a little. Go to school. You can work yourself out of poverty.
I know man. Its sooooo easy. smh
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:07 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST