BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Politics/Religion

Lux Angel Eyes

06-25-2015, 02:12 AM   #1
BAMFM3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 MW E92 M3 DCT

"I知 offended that everyone is offended by something!"

As this article puts it...this guy nails it!

http://yellowhammernews.com/politics...-by-something/
11 Melbourne Red E92 M3 6MT (Sold)
09 Jet Black E92 M3 DCT (Sold)
Appreciate 2
      06-25-2015, 09:52 AM   #2
bmwmsport
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

That made my day better

Well said, my friend.

Best part:
"I知 offended that people care more about taking down an outdated Confederate flag but don稚 get riled up when their American flag is being burned in the street."

Maybe because that's a really big deal down here right now.
      06-25-2015, 11:22 AM   #3
C5driver
Major
Rep
Drives: 55...just kidding.

This is necessary, but like so many other necessary voices, it will be unheard among the cacophony of the "disenfranchised", "marginalized", special interest groups, and those that lack critical and most importantly, independent thinking.
      06-25-2015, 11:23 AM   #4
C5driver
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwmsport View Post
Best part:
"I知 offended that people care more about taking down an outdated Confederate flag but don稚 get riled up when their American flag is being burned in the street."

Maybe because that's a really big deal down here right now.
It's the Easy Button. People like to push it because it doesn't require thought
      06-25-2015, 12:16 PM   #5
SoCal235
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M235

That some top level bullshit right there. Here's my favorite part:

"I知 offended that fast food workers get paid more than my soldiers yet still expect to get paid more than nurses."

Huh? Who ever said fast food workers are trying to be paid more than nurses. Holy hell that is some hyperbole.

Sounds like another white male that has no ability to understand the plight of others that are less fortunate than him.
Appreciate 1
      06-25-2015, 01:06 PM   #6
bmwmsport
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal235 View Post
That some top level bullshit right there. Here's my favorite part:

"I知 offended that fast food workers get paid more than my soldiers yet still expect to get paid more than nurses."

Huh? Who ever said fast food workers are trying to be paid more than nurses. Holy hell that is some hyperbole.

Sounds like another white male that has no ability to understand the plight of others that are less fortunate than him.
"The BLS reports the median salary for a registered nurse was $66,220 in 2013."- US News

Basic pay for soldiers was $35,000/yr at its highest.
http://www.goarmy.com/benefits/money...-soldiers.html

If the guy flipping burgers wants $15/yr, that equates to $31,200/yr. Minimum skills = minimum pay.

I think he understands the "plight of others that are less fortunate than him." I don't see why a soldier on the grounds in Iraq should make less than the person flipping burgers at Wendys. Minimum wage jobs are for highschoolers looking for some spending money, it wasn't designed to support a family of four.

Plus, if you don't like where you are, work a little. Go to school. You can work yourself out of poverty.
      06-25-2015, 01:09 PM   #7
SoCal235
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
"The BLS reports the median salary for a registered nurse was $66,220 in 2013."- US News

If the guy flipping burgers wants $15/yr, that equates to $31,200/yr. Minimum skills = minimum pay.

I think he understands the "plight of others that are less fortunate than him." I don't see why a soldier on the grounds in Iraq should make less than the person flipping burgers at Wendys. Minimum wage jobs are for highschoolers looking for some spending money, it wasn't designed to support a family of four.

Plus, if you don't like where you are, work a little. Go to school. You can work yourself out of poverty.
The math you provided actually back up my statements. Quick tip, 1 < 2.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2015, 01:13 PM   #8
C5driver
Major
Rep

Quote:
Prejudice much?
      06-25-2015, 01:14 PM   #9
bmwmsport
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The math you provided actually back up my statements. Quick tip, 1 < 2.
I know.

I believe he was referencing ambulance workers. They make an average of $11.13/hr.
http://www.ehow.com/info_8213553_ave...ce-worker.html

My point is fast food workers shouldn't make more than the soldiers defending them nor the ambulance workers there to pick them up when they get hurt.
      06-25-2015, 01:46 PM   #10
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 325i Arctic

First, I totally respect the things our men and women in uniform do for the county.

That being said, a soldier has no living expenses if s/he chooses to live in the barracks. 2 years of service, with minimal tattooing and drinking = a brand new BMW. For some of the smarter ones, they save up that money, and do the ED on the way home. IMHO, they deserve nothing less.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2015, 01:54 PM   #11
C5driver
Major
Rep

The similarity (generalizing, of course), is choice. A soldier chooses to enter service, no different than any other profession.

The difference (generalizing, of course), is that you don't hear soldiers complaining about pay.
      06-25-2015, 02:00 PM   #12
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 325i Arctic

Quote:
Originally Posted by C5driver View Post
A soldier chooses to enter service, no different than any other profession. .
Not so very long ago, this was not exactly true. I remember registering early myself but was never drafted (didn't make the cut due to diabetes)
Appreciate 1
      06-25-2015, 02:09 PM   #13
Dave 90TT
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM 6MT M4 F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
Not so very long ago, this was not exactly true. I remember registering early myself but was never drafted (didn't make the cut due to diabetes)
The last time the draft was actually used in the US was 1973. 42 years ago. So while, yes, all males still have to register for the draft, the US military is completely volunteer at this point. I remember reading a few years back (circa 2008) that the last person who had been drafted that was still in was retiring from active service.

At this point, I think the only way the draft would be used (due to concerns about the effectiveness of a conscription force in modern warfare) would be a large scale, conventional (or nuclear) attack on US soil by an actual near peer competitor (China, Russia, perhaps India are the only ones that come to mind).

All that aside, I do agree with the majority of what the author says. The 'offended' class or the 'victim class' in the US has gone too far and grown too large.
      06-25-2015, 03:17 PM   #14
bmwmsport
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 90TT View Post

All that aside, I do agree with the majority of what the author says. The 'offended' class or the 'victim class' in the US has gone too far and grown too large.
+100
      06-25-2015, 03:53 PM   #15
SoCal235
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I know.

I believe he was referencing ambulance workers. They make an average of $11.13/hr.
http://www.ehow.com/info_8213553_ave...ce-worker.html

My point is fast food workers shouldn't make more than the soldiers defending them nor the ambulance workers there to pick them up when they get hurt.
No actually, from the article you posted, the said the following:

He didn't say ambulance workers. He's using hyperbole to try and make his point.

Quote:
Prejudice much?
He's the one that identified himself that way, not me. I was expressing no prejudice, in fact I wasn't judging him with that statement at all, I was using the same adjective to describe him as he did. Here's what he said:

"I知 offended that because I知 a white male, people automatically classify me as privileged, regardless of knowing where I致e come from or what I致e been through.
..."

FWIW I am a middle-aged white male as well, but I can see that some people have a tougher struggle in this world than I do. It appears this gentleman doesn't.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2015, 03:55 PM   #16
SoCal235
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
The similarity (generalizing, of course), is choice. A soldier chooses to enter service, no different than any other profession.

The difference (generalizing, of course), is that you don't hear soldiers complaining about pay.
This article literally has a soldier complaining about his soldiers not getting paid enough.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2015, 04:05 PM   #17
bmwmsport
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
This article literally has a soldier complaining about his soldiers not getting paid enough.
I think you got something else out of it compared to the rest of us... I didn't see that anywhere at all.
      06-25-2015, 04:53 PM   #18
///M Villain
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Bmw M4

Quote:

Not to come at you in any way, but where have you been. Enlisted service members aren't at all happy with their pay. Throughout the years you see reports of service members on welfare barely making it with a wife and two to three kids. The only service members that get paid well are those who went to college and became Officers. And some branches of the Military enlisted members can't rank with a good evaluation and test scores, which is the standard for ranking to make more money. The reason for that is closed rates "jobs like Electrician Mate" from surplus of personnel in that job field along with a few other reasons.

But to the topic here; I think it's safe to say that this side disagrees with that side not because we can't see the problem, but because people don't care and want to disagree just to disagree and have things their way even if it's creating unnecessary issues. I'm all about fair-minded thinking, but some things don't have a light side to them which in this instance would be the Confederate flag. How would the most patriotic citizens feel if the British flag flew over states and capitals? Even though these two flag hardly represent the same, I'm just wonder how people would feel if this had been someone attacking a mixed group of "Americans" waving the British flag. How are we as a country going to stop terrorism from outside our waters, when secretly we hate eachother and cling to symbols that have been turned into hate badges?
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2015, 05:04 PM   #19
C5driver
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Villain View Post
Not to come at you in any way, but where have you been. Enlisted service members aren't at all happy with their pay.
No worries. We're only having a discussion here

My perspective is based on a couple kids (officer cadets) and more than a few friends and co-workers (enlisted). It's true that their pay doesn't approach the private sector, let alone public/private sector union jobs, but like any position, it wasn't an unknown factor when they made the decision to accept the position.
      06-25-2015, 05:46 PM   #20
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

Quote:

What do active duty servicemen receive that a minimum wage earner does not receive?
I don't think servicemen could not stand to be better paid. I wouldn't oppose a pay increase for them. I'm just saying that the info you cited omits a significant portion of the full picture.

I don't know why it is that so many folks will latch on to one little factoid, one little "sound bite," and then make some proclamation based on it. Things in this world are rarely that simple.

All the best.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2015, 05:51 PM   #21
C5driver
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony20009 View Post
Things in this world are rarely that simple.
+1 gagillion million.

Supporting facts and critical thinking and stuff like that.
      06-25-2015, 06:58 PM   #22
direwolfM3
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 F80 M3

Quote:

I know man. Its sooooo easy. smh
Appreciate 0