BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Politics/Religion
 
BPM
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      03-09-2015, 10:26 PM   #23
Holshot
Private First Class
United_States
28
Rep
130
Posts

Drives: '11 BMW 335is
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Baltimore, MD

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal235 View Post
And 15 miles away from UC Irvine, a Huntington Beach resident wants it to be a capital offense to be gay. Seriously, this guy actually put his own money up to start a bill that will kill people who identify as gay. Keep on keeping it classy GOP, you guys sure have the "morale high ground"

http://blogs.ocweekly.com/navelgazin...gton_beach.php

I'd love to see one of you right-wingers actually denounce this type of behavior, but I doubt any of you ever will.
THANK YOU! You just proved sir your true, only one way thinking liberal ideology. Please show me ONE instance in that article that references he is representing the GOP? Just ONE! It's amazing you will throw the ENTIRE GOP under the bus for the remarks of a LAWYER or as you put it "some guy". That guy, for any sane person reading that, would realize the guy is off his rocker and shouldn't be practicing the law. He should be in a mental hospital if he truly thinks the way he does if in fact this isn't some joke because really who on earth thinks that way...

Now if he said progressive liberals like you then maybe, just maybe he might be on to something (insert sarcasm and humor to lighten the mood around here) You must be tons of fun at parties... I wish I knew what it felt like not to have to think for myself sometimes, it seems you live that dream every day of your life, stay classy California... Tomorrow morning instead of taking the usual Blue pill, just once, try the Red pill. Thats only if you want to think for yourself. Obviously, the blue pill will let you continue down the usual road as you most likely will do all your life. You sir are a fool, thank you for difinatively proving it with that link.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2015, 10:44 PM   #24
Efthreeoh
Lieutenant General
United_States
2662
Rep
10,002
Posts

Drives: E90 & Z4 Coupe
Join Date: May 2012
Location: MARLAND

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal235 View Post
Effthreeoohwhatever,

So you'r facts are better than say I don't know, NASA? What kind of research are you performing these days to support your views?

http://climate.nasa.gov

edit: Why don't you go ahead and go to Bangladesh and tell the people there is no climate change:

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/29/wo...ange.html?_r=0

the science is settled, it's the GOP trying to refute the science.
Yeah, go read some Patrick Michaels. He took real CO2 data from 10,000 years ago (pulled from plant matter in the muck from lakes), put it into current climate models to see what the models would predict for current-day climate. Low and behold the predicted climate of today using the models with real data from 10,000 years ago doesn't match up. Oh well... settled science. Sure.

And explain to me how a 60-foot deep salt vein that runs from Buffalo, NY to Chicago, IL, which is mined 2,000 feet below lake Erie got there (Erie is 900 feet deep on average). Guess a lot of prehistoric caveman fires, huh. Oh that's right they had foot-powered cars back then.

It's the GOP trying to keep the libs from getting control of the entire US economy.
__________________
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2015, 06:35 AM   #25
Efthreeoh
Lieutenant General
United_States
2662
Rep
10,002
Posts

Drives: E90 & Z4 Coupe
Join Date: May 2012
Location: MARLAND

iTrader: (0)

What I find amusing is people on car forums making arguments for anthropogenic climate change. Liberals got rid of Hummer and killed off the Excursion. The very same liberals who never bitch about Hollywood liberals driving their 12 MPG Ferraris and Porsche GTs, which are parked at their 15,000 sq. ft. houses - heated and cooled, mind you, whether there are occupants or not at home. Oh that's right, the servants are at home tending to the place - yes these same liberals who tell us GOP'ers we are greedy and materialistic. The same liberals who buy $10,000 dresses and $5,000 tuxes they'll use once, so they are pretty as they walk down the red carpet to one of 10 award shows that they hold to pat themselves on the back. Well they do after all drive up in a Prius. LOL

If you really believe in human influenced climate change then stop driving, recycle your car, recycle you shoes, get rid of you clothes, shit and piss in your own garden, and find a cave to go live in. Until then, shut-F-up and stop telling everyone else how to live.
__________________
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission.
Appreciate 1
      03-10-2015, 08:33 AM   #26
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
3562
Rep
6,381
Posts

Drives: 2014 BMW 335i M-Sport
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Arlington, VA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
If you really believe in human influenced climate change then stop driving, recycle your car, recycle you shoes, get rid of you clothes, shit and piss in your own garden, and find a cave to go live in. Until then, shut-F-up and stop telling everyone else how to live.
I don't think it should go that far. If anything, I just like how I can drive a 300+ HP car that gets 30 mpg on the highway.

I'm not going to complain about increased engine efficiency that still saves me money at the pump. There's the trade off that I'm paying for that by a higher asking price for the car itself but these companies innovate anyway and if regulations didn't force them to make more fuel efficient figures, the unpredictability of oil prices would.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2015, 06:11 PM   #27
Holshot
Private First Class
United_States
28
Rep
130
Posts

Drives: '11 BMW 335is
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Baltimore, MD

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
What I find amusing is people on car forums making arguments for anthropogenic climate change. Liberals got rid of Hummer and killed off the Excursion. The very same liberals who never bitch about Hollywood liberals driving their 12 MPG Ferraris and Porsche GTs, which are parked at their 15,000 sq. ft. houses - heated and cooled, mind you, whether there are occupants or not at home. Oh that's right, the servants are at home tending to the place - yes these same liberals who tell us GOP'ers we are greedy and materialistic. The same liberals who buy $10,000 dresses and $5,000 tuxes they'll use once, so they are pretty as they walk down the red carpet to one of 10 award shows that they hold to pat themselves on the back. Well they do after all drive up in a Prius. LOL

If you really believe in human influenced climate change then stop driving, recycle your car, recycle you shoes, get rid of you clothes, shit and piss in your own garden, and find a cave to go live in. Until then, shut-F-up and stop telling everyone else how to live.

Couldn't have said it any better brother! They're also the same ones who have two dogs, a cat and some other odd animal because of their huge bleeding hearts. Did they ever think about what a strain it is on the environment to produce all the pet food, build all those petsmarts, all the liter and trash from said food that goes to the dump, the thousands of 18 wheelers who have to truck all that food all over the country burning that horrible fossel fuel and list goes on and on... But yet they have the right to tell me what I should drive and what I should eat. I can't stand when they preach like a priest when they do the same thing I do better yet they are better then me, funny much like priest and all their scandals. Do as I say not as I do... Gotta love it!

Remember back in the 70's when Time claimed we should be preparing for a mini ice age, then in the 80's and 90's they changed their tune to "global warming", when that didn't pan out and the masses started to get global warming fatigue they switched it climate change! I can't wait to see what wording they come up with next. Wow, climate changes who would have thought. Mr. Inconvenient true said by now the oceans would have risen several feet... So the crook goes and buys a 9 million dollar beach house with all the money he made screwing all the morons into believing the sky was falling. You think he would have bought a house at the top of a mountain since by now his mansion should be under water, inconvenient truth my ass... Poster boy for snake oil salesman flying around in his private jet, mutiple house that consume more energy then a small town.

Global warming, climate change is the new "religion" of the left... They follow blindly like most of the sheep in all the religions of the world. The difference is they hide behind a cause that actually makes sense. Who doesn't want clean air and water? I certainly do but not based on a lie and not the way they think is the way to achieve that goal. It's amazing if you look back in time the "scientists" of every great empire/time period had their own thoughts as to how the world worked. There was a time they thought the earth was the center of the universe, then that it was flat and anyone who tried to go beyond the horizon would fall. Obviously they were all proven wrong. Like now those guys had an agenda to control the masses much like the current batch of scientists. Agenda driven just like then. There have been plenty of leaks of forged data and emails of corrupt "scientists" who made their data fit the narrative and threatened those to fall in line or else.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2015, 06:57 AM   #28
Efthreeoh
Lieutenant General
United_States
2662
Rep
10,002
Posts

Drives: E90 & Z4 Coupe
Join Date: May 2012
Location: MARLAND

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holshot View Post
Couldn't have said it any better brother! They're also the same ones who have two dogs, a cat and some other odd animal because of their huge bleeding hearts. Did they ever think about what a strain it is on the environment to produce all the pet food, build all those petsmarts, all the liter and trash from said food that goes to the dump, the thousands of 18 wheelers who have to truck all that food all over the country burning that horrible fossel fuel and list goes on and on... But yet they have the right to tell me what I should drive and what I should eat. I can't stand when they preach like a priest when they do the same thing I do better yet they are better then me, funny much like priest and all their scandals. Do as I say not as I do... Gotta love it!

Remember back in the 70's when Time claimed we should be preparing for a mini ice age, then in the 80's and 90's they changed their tune to "global warming", when that didn't pan out and the masses started to get global warming fatigue they switched it climate change! I can't wait to see what wording they come up with next. Wow, climate changes who would have thought. Mr. Inconvenient true said by now the oceans would have risen several feet... So the crook goes and buys a 9 million dollar beach house with all the money he made screwing all the morons into believing the sky was falling. You think he would have bought a house at the top of a mountain since by now his mansion should be under water, inconvenient truth my ass... Poster boy for snake oil salesman flying around in his private jet, mutiple house that consume more energy then a small town.

Global warming, climate change is the new "religion" of the left... They follow blindly like most of the sheep in all the religions of the world. The difference is they hide behind a cause that actually makes sense. Who doesn't want clean air and water? I certainly do but not based on a lie and not the way they think is the way to achieve that goal. It's amazing if you look back in time the "scientists" of every great empire/time period had their own thoughts as to how the world worked. There was a time they thought the earth was the center of the universe, then that it was flat and anyone who tried to go beyond the horizon would fall. Obviously they were all proven wrong. Like now those guys had an agenda to control the masses much like the current batch of scientists. Agenda driven just like then. There have been plenty of leaks of forged data and emails of corrupt "scientists" who made their data fit the narrative and threatened those to fall in line or else.
Okay standard stuff we conservatives get fed, but the priest thing is a bit off base. I have a relative who is a Catholic Priest. I've known many priests though out my life, and found none of them to be the child molesting, mental diseased people that form the basis of your opinion. Not all priests are bad so please stop generalizing in that sense, as much as all liberals aren't anti-Hummer/Excursion, or all anti-gay people are Republicans.

Your point about agenda-funded scientists is exactly what Patrick Michaels, a climatologist at the University of Virginia, writes about in several of his books. And educated person seeks the knowledge of both sides of an argument and then determines which is truth and which is agenda-driven fiction. The point here is that, in general, conservatives have no agenda other than allowing a free-market to determine the outcome of most societal situations, where liberals believe they must change the world by banning that which they feel is harmful to someone. The free-market system is far from perfect and is perturbed by bad acts; but in general the free-market system is the natural course of human endeavor. This is in difference to liberalism, where liberalism sets to define society within a cubic structure that is mostly illogical.

An example of this is when in the 1980’s the city of Washington DC decided the way to curtail the spread of AIDs was to provide free clean drug needles to intravenous drug users. The thought being that since drug users share dirty needles, providing easy access (i.e. free) clean ones would solve the spread of AIDS. But this is illogical since the problem with drug users is addiction and the hierarchical concern of a drug addict is to inject drugs into their body with little thought to use a clean needle to do it. So if a free, clean needle is not available to them they will find a dirty one to use instead. The free-market approach is to allow a person’s behavior to define his life. If that means he ends up dying from AIDS because he decided to use a dirty needle, then that is on him, not on the rest of us who decide to live a life free of such complications.

Hence we have US citizens (students) who conclude their county's flag is exclusive and offensive and decide to ban it. The free-market approach is to decide the situation is not life-threatening and ignore it, or not participate in an activity where the US Flag is displayed.
__________________
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2015, 09:07 AM   #29
Gle8
Private
12
Rep
97
Posts

Drives: 2007 Z4Mc
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Philadelphia

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
I'm a Conservative and consume a lot of conservative media. I've never heard any conservative want to "ban" anything, let alone speech. Yeah, we all think over-use of the term "global warming" is a bit of a joke, but I've not heard one conservative suggest passing a law to ban it. Liberals ban things, conservatives just ignore it.
Oh really?

http://www.livescience.com/50085-sta...te-change.html

What I don't understand is why self proclaimed conservatives (or anyone for that matter) is so vehemently opposed to the very possibility that humans contribute to global warming. I mean, you have to go through some leaps of logic (and non-logic) to get to a point where you can deny the science. Oh, I'm sure you can dig up an article or two to support your view, but when 98% of scientists agree on something (and the other 2% are funded by oil and energy companies) I tend to trust the scientists.

I mean really, how would it negatively impact you, as a human on this earth, to agree with science? Why hold onto a view that does nothing to further your interests? Unless your sole interest is the deregulation of oil and energy companies. Beyond that I fail to see the point of the 'conservative' stance on climate change.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2015, 09:19 AM   #30
SoCal235
Private First Class
61
Rep
166
Posts

Drives: M235
Join Date: May 2014
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (0)

So now we have a state senator in Irvine trying to make it illegal to ban displaying the US flag in a publicly funded building. That sounds like the way the former East Germany used to be. a friend at work is from East Germany, he has told me they used to force him to fly the East German Flag all of the time. He says one of the things he appreciates here in the US is that he gets to decide when he flies the flag, to him that is freedom.

Quote:
Sen. Janet Nguyen of Garden Grove on Monday announced a proposed constitutional amendment to block publicly funded universities from banning the American flag.
As an immigrant from Vietnam, Nguyen said she would not be a lawmaker today if it weren’t for the principles of freedom and democracy the flag represents.
She is trying to take away to freedom of not displaying a flag as her defense of freedom. That's some high level self contradiction right there.

Also it appears that people have been threatening violence against the students who aren't vetoing this. Now let's all go ahead and disagree about political issues all we want heck call people names, write nasty cartoons about them, but DO NOT start threatening people with violence because you disagree with their views on this. You folks in here that are all upset about the flag not being shown, you can NOT be for students threatened with violence for exercising their rights.

Threats of Violence Cancel Meeting

Relevant quote from article:

Quote:
She said a wanted-poster-style message being circulated on social media contains the names and pictures of the students who voted for the ban.

Last edited by SoCal235; 03-11-2015 at 09:28 AM.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2015, 10:04 AM   #31
Dalko43
Captain
125
Rep
859
Posts

Drives: 2011 Toyota 4Runner Trail
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Upstate NY

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal235 View Post
So now we have a state senator in Irvine trying to make it illegal to ban displaying the US flag in a publicly funded building. That sounds like the way the former East Germany used to be....
Do you understand what the word "ban" means?

And are you really comparing the US to communist Eastern Germany?



Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal235 View Post
Quote:
Sen. Janet Nguyen of Garden Grove on Monday announced a proposed constitutional amendment to block publicly funded universities from banning the American flag.
As an immigrant from Vietnam, Nguyen said she would not be a lawmaker today if it weren’t for the principles of freedom and democracy the flag represents.
She is trying to take away to freedom of not displaying a flag as her defense of freedom. That's some high level self contradiction right there.
The only contradiction I see is in your own rant. You protest an elected official's attempts to enact legislation that would prohibit publicly funded universities (with taxpayer dollars) from banning the display of the American flag.

The senator is engaging in the democratic process that is germane to America.

The University is arbitrarily prohibiting people from displaying their nation's flag, which any constitutional scholar would agree is a freedom of expression, in the same way that burning a flag is. Where is the democratic process in that? And what right does a university have to tell people that they can't express themselves?


I'm amazed that you even consider your line of argument legitimate and worthy of discussion. But hey, we all have the right to our opinions...
__________________
Current: 2011 Toyota 4Runner Trail
Sold: 2013 BMW 335is Coupe
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2015, 10:31 AM   #32
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
3562
Rep
6,381
Posts

Drives: 2014 BMW 335i M-Sport
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Arlington, VA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
Okay standard stuff we conservatives get fed, but the priest thing is a bit. Hence we have US citizens (students) who conclude their county's flag is exclusive and offensive and decide to ban it. The free-market approach is to decide the situation is not life-threatening and ignore it, or not participate in an activity where the US Flag is displayed.
I believe they decided that showing any flag in the university lobby was offensive.

You can't really apply "free market principles" to the situation. This is merely a debate about flags, no commerce is involved.

It's really just about a bunch of, likely, spoiled kids who are too sensitive.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2015, 10:53 AM   #33
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
UncleWede's Avatar
United_States
3473
Rep
4,797
Posts

Drives: E90 325i Arctic
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Oxnard, CA

iTrader: (0)

The commerce/free market involved is that if my son asks me to send him to UCI, I won't be paying the tuition if flags are banned from the student center.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2015, 11:32 AM   #34
SoCal235
Private First Class
61
Rep
166
Posts

Drives: M235
Join Date: May 2014
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (0)

And again, Holshot, efff3oo, UncleWede, let's see pictures of your flags being flown properly. Unless you guys are displaying the flag, sounds like you are all blowing hot air.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2015, 12:24 PM   #35
Dalko43
Captain
125
Rep
859
Posts

Drives: 2011 Toyota 4Runner Trail
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Upstate NY

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal235 View Post
And again, Holshot, efff3oo, UncleWede, let's see pictures of your flags being flown properly. Unless you guys are displaying the flag, sounds like you are all blowing hot air.
What the hell does that have to do with anything? Whether or not the flags are being flown properly?

In America, a person has a right to fly the American flag or not fly it. No person, entity (university included) has any authority to ban such a display.
__________________
Current: 2011 Toyota 4Runner Trail
Sold: 2013 BMW 335is Coupe
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2015, 12:40 PM   #36
Gle8
Private
12
Rep
97
Posts

Drives: 2007 Z4Mc
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Philadelphia

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalko43 View Post
What the hell does that have to do with anything? Whether or not the flags are being flown properly?

In America, a person has a right to fly the American flag or not fly it. No person, entity (university included) has any authority to ban such a display.
Really? I can most certainly ban you from displaying a flag on MY property should I so choose. As can any private entity.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2015, 12:40 PM   #37
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
UncleWede's Avatar
United_States
3473
Rep
4,797
Posts

Drives: E90 325i Arctic
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Oxnard, CA

iTrader: (0)

I'll bite.

There is only one sticker on my truck; no "my kid was student of the month" none of the sports teams, not even my previous favorite "Question Authority" The only thing I have, whether correctly posted or not, is:
Attached Images
 
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2015, 12:48 PM   #38
Dalko43
Captain
125
Rep
859
Posts

Drives: 2011 Toyota 4Runner Trail
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Upstate NY

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gle8 View Post
Really? I can most certainly ban you from displaying a flag on MY property should I so choose. As can any private entity.
Well if a flag was flying on your property, I wouldn't be the one flying it, you would be. And if I tried to move onto your property and place a flag there against your will, that would be trespassing, a violation of your rights. Would you like me to continue to state the obvious, or can we move on and have a mature conversation?

If you had paid attention to the conversation I was addressing, I am talking about whether or not a college or university has the right to ban students from displaying the american flag (even on their cars, or clothes, or carrying it).

At that point, we aren't talking about just your individual rights or the college's, we are talking about other peoples' individual rights. And if you can't understand that such a ban would infringe on other peoples' rights, you need to re-read your 'Street Law 101' book.
__________________
Current: 2011 Toyota 4Runner Trail
Sold: 2013 BMW 335is Coupe
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2015, 12:54 PM   #39
gonzo
Major General
gonzo's Avatar
United_States
2565
Rep
9,874
Posts

Drives: as many as possible
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: TeXXXas

iTrader: (0)

I'll bet those students need directions on how to boil water.
The effort and time spent coming up with such crap is mind boggling.

Go help an elderly person that's home ridden?
Start a community garden?
Pick up litter around campus?

Noooooo.
Let's complain about f'n flags.
__________________
Crazy Diamond
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2015, 12:57 PM   #40
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
UncleWede's Avatar
United_States
3473
Rep
4,797
Posts

Drives: E90 325i Arctic
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Oxnard, CA

iTrader: (0)

UCI is not a private college, so the rules applied to somewhere like USC or Pepperdine are slightly different. In those cases, the free-market would potentially have a much larger impact. Were this to come out of USC, my alumnus contributions would decline precipitously.

Dang, I didn't even be needin no spell checken on any of dose words neither!
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2015, 01:08 PM   #41
Gle8
Private
12
Rep
97
Posts

Drives: 2007 Z4Mc
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Philadelphia

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalko43 View Post
Well if a flag was flying on your property, I wouldn't be the one flying it, you would be. And if I tried to move onto your property and place a flag there against your will, that would be trespassing, a violation of your rights. Would you like me to continue to state the obvious, or can we move on and have a mature conversation?

If you had paid attention to the conversation I was addressing, I am talking about whether or not a college or university has the right to ban students from displaying the american flag (even on their cars, or clothes, or carrying it).

At that point, we aren't talking about just your individual rights or the college's, we are talking about other peoples' individual rights. And if you can't understand that such a ban would infringe on other peoples' rights, you need to re-read your 'Street Law 101' book.
Do they have the right to ban students from wearing a certain tee shirt? Or from displaying an ISIS flag?

Show me where it says in our constitution that you are afforded the right to display a US Flag wherever you like (as opposed to any other display).

The point is, if a University had banned the display of a Satanic monument, it would receive a much different response than this seems to be getting. Because Patriotism. Yet Patriotism doesn't change the application of Freedom of Speech. It's all in your perspective.

Ultimately, if an entity has the power to ban a display, it has a right to ban ANY display. Do I agree with this particular ban? It's irrelevant. We should be discussing the underlying legality, not the particular application.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2015, 01:20 PM   #42
Dalko43
Captain
125
Rep
859
Posts

Drives: 2011 Toyota 4Runner Trail
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Upstate NY

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gle8 View Post
Do they have the right to ban students from wearing a certain tee shirt? Or from displaying an ISIS flag?

Show me where it says in our constitution that you are afforded the right to display a US Flag wherever you like (as opposed to any other display).

The point is, if a University had banned the display of a Satanic monument, it would receive a much different response than this seems to be getting. Because Patriotism. Yet Patriotism doesn't change the application of Freedom of Speech. It's all in your perspective.

Ultimately, if an entity has the power to ban a display, it has a right to ban ANY display. Do I agree with this particular ban? It's irrelevant. We should be discussing the underlying legality, not the particular application.
A student can wear an ISIS t-shirt if he/she wants to. It's his or her shirt and his/her choice. Preaching/encouraging fellow students to go join the jihad in Syria could potentially carry legal consequences, but the act of simply wearing an "ISIS" t-shirt can't be prosecuted or banned.

A satanic monument is a completely different discussion. A physical construction of any monument requires funding, construction, zoning...a university or entity will of course have say over such matters.

But in terms of displaying or wearing clothing that exhibits certain beliefs, schools and entities can't ban such things; they can ban certain clothes or enforce a dress code, but you can't ban an specific piece of clothing because of an expression of personal beliefs, whether we are talking about satanism or patriotism.

This is not a matter of enforcing patriotism, this is a matter of respecting peoples' inherent rights to express themselves. That is the underlying legality that is relevant here. I have addressed it in my previous posts, if you had taken the time to read them, you would have realized that.
__________________
Current: 2011 Toyota 4Runner Trail
Sold: 2013 BMW 335is Coupe
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2015, 01:25 PM   #43
Dalko43
Captain
125
Rep
859
Posts

Drives: 2011 Toyota 4Runner Trail
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Upstate NY

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gle8 View Post
Show me where it says in our constitution that you are afforded the right to display a US Flag wherever you like (as opposed to any other display).
Again, you are making an overly technical straw man argument. No one is saying that I can place and fly an American flag on someone else's property, against their will.

I do have a freedom to express myself, and that can include wearing an american flag on my baseball cap or on my car's rear window, even if I am on a college campus.

If you don't believe me, I suggest you read about the 4th Article in the Bill of Rights and all the legal precedents set for that statute.
__________________
Current: 2011 Toyota 4Runner Trail
Sold: 2013 BMW 335is Coupe
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2015, 01:51 PM   #44
Gle8
Private
12
Rep
97
Posts

Drives: 2007 Z4Mc
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Philadelphia

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalko43 View Post
A student can wear an ISIS t-shirt if he/she

But in terms of displaying or wearing clothing that exhibits certain beliefs, schools and entities can't ban such things; they can ban certain clothes or enforce a dress code, but you can't ban an specific piece of clothing because of an expression of personal beliefs, whether we are talking about satanism or patriotism.
http://time.com/3648071/school-ban-eric-garner/
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:59 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST