BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > DIY Guides/ Discussions

03-07-2015, 05:15 PM   #1
pzzvv
LURKER
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Anyone manufacture their own parts?

I did a bit of research but didn't come across much. I was looking at the Macht Schnell tow straps & thought to myself (having worked at an engineering & manufacturing company before), I can probably manufacture that tow strap myself for a fraction of the cost. Same with the cutout tow cover. I can buy one off of getbmwparts & make a slot myself. Anyone done anything similar or made any sort of mods or parts for their cars themselves? Not only would it save money but they'd be fun projects to do.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2015, 10:21 AM   #2
4DRS65
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: Whatever is in the Rogue fleet

Since you worked in manufacturing and engineering before, you'll also remember that the cost of manufacturing was reduced with volume (production). Making one (1) of anything was costly...typically more costly than just buying one already already being made.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2015, 11:52 AM   #3
beyondM
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 Silverstone II E90 ZCP

Bought a used tow strap for about 3/4 of new price. Strap looked brand new. Probably used just for show. Took a dremel and cut the slot on the tow hook cover myself. Didn't come out perfect but you won't even notice.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2015, 02:20 PM   #4
pzzvv
LURKER
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4DRS65 View Post
Since you worked in manufacturing and engineering before, you'll also remember that the cost of manufacturing was reduced with volume (production). Making one (1) of anything was costly...typically more costly than just buying one already already being made.
Of course. But with that said, we often had a large volumes of scrap steel & aluminum etc laying around, which after I punch out I could probably put on to a vertical mill or lathe or even a 5-axis, as long as I wrote the code myself, & machined it for what to me would essentially be cost free. I think it's also probably important to mention that I did work at a rather small company (~15 employees owned by a family friend). So after my shift I could utilize any open machine, which I had the luxury of doing given it was a small company. Whereas shifting operations at a large firm to manufacture a small volume product would not be an option.

Hence why I started this thread, bc individuals that work at/own small companies like the one I worked at would probably be able to do what I mentioned above. I'm actually contemplating stopping back in & talking with the boss to see if I could come in & try to conjure something up on my own. I don't think he'd mind.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2015, 03:28 PM   #5
C-ARchitect
Banned
Rep
Drives: Miniature Ferrari

I make my own parts but they're mostly cosmetic. Only performance part I've made is my own exhaust system. It takes a decent amount of time to produce but working on car stuff is a hobby of mine so I don't mind so much.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2015, 04:20 PM   #6
MRG Race Co
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 Nardo E92 '15 Fashion F80

Garage List
2015 BMW F80 M3  [0.00]
2012 BMW M3  [0.00]
Lol, sounds like you are on the right track. I estimate that the Macht Schnell tow strap costs less than $10-15 to make and they turn around and sell for $90. Pretty good margins if you ask me. But as stated you need volume to make a sizable profit. And thats where companies like EAS have the edge.

I have played around with machining my own parts as well. Mostly just for fun though and havent really tried to market them. Keep us posted if you do something.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2015, 03:31 PM   #7
pzzvv
LURKER
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alynM3 View Post
Lol, sounds like you are on the right track. I estimate that the Macht Schnell tow strap costs less than $10-15 to make and they turn around and sell for $90. Pretty good margins if you ask me. But as stated you need volume to make a sizable profit. And thats where companies like EAS have the edge.

I have played around with machining my own parts as well. Mostly just for fun though and havent really tried to market them. Keep us posted if you do something.
Yep. I just wanted to make parts for fun & see what I can make bc I feel like it'd be a fun activity to work on in my spare time. But I'm going to hopefully work on something sometime soon & will keep you guys posted.
Appreciate 0