06-02-2012, 03:55 PM   #23
flipm3
E46 + E90 + F80
Rep
Drives: E46 + E90 + F80

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
2002 BMW M3  [0.00]
As you all know, I threw back on my OEM headers and section 1. I have been driving around for several days now and finally had to time to schedule some dyno time. I chose the same location, Dean's Performance, because of his great customer service, familiarity with the E46 M3, and often used dyno by other local M3 members.

The only thing that has changed in between these and the last runs were just the headers and section 1. It must be noted that the humidity was a lot less today which may or may not skew my end results. Temperature was fairly within the same range. Again, correction factor was not that drastic.

Upon the first dyno, I was rather shocked to see the results to say very the least. Then the results just got more and more surprising. It is said that most stock E46 M3 on the average dynojet put down 270-280whp. It looks like I am slightly above that average range. Whatever the cause is of my results, I think it's safe to say that my engine is healthy. Owning it straight from the BMW factory and making sure to do oil changes at least every 7500 miles and all the schedule Inspections/Valve Adjustments proves that despite it's 10 year old age, it is still running strong. :thumbsup2:
  • Stock
  • Dynojet 248X at Dean's Peformance, St. Charles, IL
  • 4th Gear

SAE

STD

UNCORRECTED

SAE w/ Conditions

SAE w/ Speed

Dyno graphs between 100% stock and Supersprint V2 Stepped Headers + CPI Euro200

I was shocked to see the difference between the two runs. I am honestly not sure how to take the results other than, what I feel on the street seems more drastic than the minute difference in numbers. What I think is most important to take from these comparisons is not necessarily numbers, but the change in the curves. The change in low end torque/power is very noticeable, as is the high end gains.

Supersprint claims a much bigger gain in power so I am not sure what is the explanation for my lower than expected gains. It could be the change in humidity, temperature...It could be the Magnaflow cats...Who knows.

All I know is that the SS V2 Stepped and CPI Euro200 combination made a huge difference on the street and that's what matters more to me.

I am looking forward to seeing the comparison between the SS V2 Stepped and SS V1 Stepped which I can hopefully do in the middle of January.

Stay tuned guys and please share your thoughts!
  • Dynojet 248X at Dean's Peformance, St. Charles, IL
  • 4th Gear

SAE

STD

UNCORRECTED

SAE w/ Conditions
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2012, 03:56 PM   #24
flipm3
E46 + E90 + F80
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
2002 BMW M3  [0.00]

My car was nearing the end of it's service countdown at around 77,000. So I decided to schedule an appointment with VS Motorsports to do the work. Although the car was schedule for an oil change according to the car's countdown, I actually decided to do a full Inspection II. This was actually my first time doing a scheduled maintenance outside of the car's extended warranty. I decided to do some of the requirements in the Inspection II simply out of "father's intuition" and I really just wanted to refresh everything and anything I could afford at the time. I also decided it would be a good time to replace some of the parts of the VANOS

Service Done:
Inspection I + Spark Plugs + Fuel Filter + Power Steering Flush
Valve Adjustment
VANOS Cam Bolts (upgraded to newer OEM version)
VANOS Solenoid Plate
VANOS Filter + O-Ring
OEM Suspension (3" Lift :taser

Review on VS Motorsports Service:
Hands down the best speciality shop in the Chicago-land area. I am actually glad I pushed more for the Inspection II, even though VS Motorsports said I most likely needed just a scheduled oil change as indicated by my car history. Prior to this and recent oil changes, the car was 100% maintained by our local BMW dealer. My family and I have been customers of their's for literally 20 years so we gained their trust. They were the last ones who did the scheduled Inspection II at around 60,000 miles.

When I got to VS Motorsports, everyone asked me who maintained the car prior to them. This actually got my heart beating pretty quick because I was worried they were going to tell me something catastrophic. Turns out that 9 valves were really tight on the intake side, more than what they are used to seeing. My spark plugs looked pretty nasty, even though it should have been replaced at the last Inspection II by the dealer. And my diff fluid was sludge.

This really blew my mind because I started to really question the integrity of that dealer. Fortunately, nothing too troublesome has arisen other than I lost trust in that dealer. The wear on those fluids and spark plugs seemed rather unusual and makes me believe that the dealer did jack squat when it was under warranty.

The car idles much better with no extraneous noises like before. Due to the crazy blizzard we had last night, I couldn't really push the car at all to determine if it's revs a little smoother. I am so glad I threw on the OEM suspension last night. It felt great to run 4x4 in 6-8" of snow, haha. The replacement of the transmission and diff fluid were much appreciate. Despite the sub-20ºF temperatures, the car shifts really smooth even as it's warming up in the morning.

What I really wanted to emphasize in this "review" though is the service by VS Motorsports. These guys know the E46 M3 inside out. They were able to point out flaws that all previous shops have done on my car. They even inspected my subframe reinforcement and said that it could have been done a little prettier. Their customer service and how they treat you as a client is great. They really do treat you as a friend, not as a human being with a credit card. Matt, Kris, and Kenny at VS Motorsports continue to fill me in on their projects, their goals for this coming years race season, updates on how they renovate the shop. It's just fun hanging out with them. They always educate me on all these tips and tricks with the E46 and E90 M3. Good times!

Due to my schedule, I don't have the time to work on my car as much as I'd like. So it's comforting knowing I can drop it off at a reputable shop knowing it'll come back better than how it arrived.

So where the car stands today. Most of the preventative and schedule maintenance is taken care of. All fluids replaced, bushings have been replaced/upgraded recently. The only really next big maintenance project I have is the cooling system. I am waiting until this coming track season to see how my temps hold up, but at the looks of it now, it seems to be ok. Hopefully the crappy plastic radiator holds up for a bit as I save more pennies.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2012, 03:57 PM   #25
flipm3
E46 + E90 + F80
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
2002 BMW M3  [0.00]
I had some down time to test out my new lens, so here are some random shots of stuff...

I purchased a used OEM Front Strut Bar since my E46 is too old school to come with one...

The miscellaneous parts to install the Evolve CF Airbox

Here are the fancy VAC Ultra Light Pulleys

Here's my SUV for the Winter...haha...

My GoPro HD Hero2 finally came in
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2012, 03:58 PM   #26
flipm3
E46 + E90 + F80
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
2002 BMW M3  [0.00]
I received a new package today. I ordered a ton of stuff from Auto Finesse USA. They were originally a UK based detailing company. In the detailing world, they seem to be gaining a huge rep for amazing products at nice prices. Martin_D (former owner of the insane SG E92 M3 built by IND) recently became the US Dealer for them. Knowing his great attention to detail and only top products, I decided to try out some of the products he sells.

So far, I am very impressed with what I've heard and seen, now I just can't wait to finally properly detail the M3s after so many years of neglect.

They even gave me a personal thank you letter on one of their post cards! Talk about making a transaction much more personal and enjoyable.

In addition to all this, I ordered a few more things to complete my arsenal from Detailer's Domain.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2012, 03:58 PM   #27
flipm3
E46 + E90 + F80
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
2002 BMW M3  [0.00]
Time to slow down faster...

I redyno'd the car with it only have the SS V1 Stepped and V1 S Pipe. I wanted to get a new and more accurate baseline prior to getting it tuned for the newly installed Evolve CF Airbox.

Stay tuned for some photos after I clean up the car a bit. It's absolutely filthy and rather embarrassing...
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2012, 03:59 PM   #28
flipm3
E46 + E90 + F80
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
2002 BMW M3  [0.00]
Alright guys, here are some whack iPhone 4s shots from the day it was installed. Stay tuned for proper photos in the near future along with a review!

..ROAR..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trC4pjOcoWY

Please excuse the crappy upload quality...Stay tuned!!!
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2012, 04:00 PM   #29
flipm3
E46 + E90 + F80
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
2002 BMW M3  [0.00]
It has been well over a handful of years since I did any sort of thorough detail or paint correction on my car. We purchased the car brand new just about 11 years ago and I am rather guilty of not being the best at keeping the paint in it's proper condition.

With things finally slowing down a bit with my schedule, I decided it was about time I got back into the game and rebuild my arsenal to tackle the paint on this rather tired looking Jet Black E46 M3. Coincidently enough, AutoFinesse USA made their introduction to the States. I have been hearing great things about their products on DetailersWorld and it was great knowing that there is now a much more affordable means for us to get a hold of their products.

After exchanging countless emails and PMs with MartinD of AutoFinesse USA, I not only learned a lot about the process of paint correction, but also a good idea of what things I should acquire. What I really appreciated about working with MartinD was that he even recommended certain products that he didn't necessarily sell or is even produced by AutoFinesse. He was very honest, humble, and informative. I got the impression that he cared more about me having the right tools to get my car in the right shape over trying to make every dollar and cent from me.

In the end, I decided to use the following products and protocol:

Wheels . Tires
Auto Finesse Imperial
Auto Finesse Gloss
Adam’s APC

Engine
Auto Finesse Mercury with MF Applicator
Adam’s APC
Adam’s In & Out

Paint
Sonax Gloss Shampoo with Gilmour Foamaster II
Auto Finesse Citrus
Auto Finesse ObliTARate
Aquartz IronX
Auto Finesse Lather
Uber Clay Bar with ONR
Meguiar’s D300 with Meguiar’s MF Cutting Pad/Porter Cable 7424
Auto Finesse Rejuvenate with Green Pad/Porter Cable 7424
Auto Finesse Tripple with Blue Pad/Porter Cable 7424
Auto Finesse Tough Coat with Wax Applicator
Auto Finesse Spirit with Wax Applicator
Auto Finesse Finale with MF Towel

Windows . Trim . Exhaust
Auto Finesse Crystal with MF Towel
Auto Finesse Revive with MF Towel
Auto Finesse Mercury with MF Applicator

Photos
Unfortunately, I did not get the chance to take photos during the whole paint correction phase. My camera was still getting serviced and cleaned, but I was able to take some snaps after everything was pretty much said and done. I did leave one quarter of the hood unfinished to show some sort of 50/50 shot. Enjoy the photos and let me know what you think!

50/50 : D300 vs. D300 + AF Rejuvenate. Notice how Rejuvenate really brings back a lot of the depth of the Jet Black!

Pretty decent clarity and depth for 11 year old soft Jet Black paint.

Pretty close to showroom clean!

The classic curves of the E46 M3 will never get old!

M3 shameless plug.

Huge rear fender flares. The one thing I miss on the E9X M3.

I personally still think this car does not look it's age!

Being catless, these tips were caked with crud and practically brown. Clearly not a problem for Auto Finesse Mercury!

Auto Finesse Imperial and Gloss make the original wheels look new!

78,000 original miles with a recently installed Evolve Automotive CF Airbox .

I wish there were more clouds to share the potential reflection. Please ignore the not very evident dent on the power bulge, haha.

Evolve Automotive carbon fiber goodness...

Evolve Automotive's creative serial plaque with build numbers!

This thing can suck up small living creatures....

No MAF!!!

Decided to get a little artsy after seeing EAS' thread with the VFE Supercharger Kits.

For the record...that's what an E46 M3 looks like when it's not lowered...HAHAHAHAHA
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2012, 04:00 PM   #30
flipm3
E46 + E90 + F80
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
2002 BMW M3  [0.00]
As I mentioned before, I decided to pick up a new suspension to hold me over until I dedicate the car as solely for weekend use. At that time, I may end up upgrading to Motion Control Suspension.

I purchased KW V3s with custom KW Competition Valving. The KW Variant dampers have been said to have a very narrow spectrum of valving. The previous owner of these coilovers had them rebuilt by KW and revolved to custom KW Competition spec. With this custom valving, I now have a bit better high speed rebound valving and broader spectrum which will hopefully help me dial out a very nice, smooth, and competent setup for both heavy street use and weekend track ventures.

So here they are and a quick shot before the installation:

KW V3 with KW Competition Valving
AKG Motorsports Polyurethane Rear Shock Mounts
AKG Motorsports Rear Shock Tower Reinforcement Place
OE Front Strut Bearings

Stay tuned for the installation! :thumbsup2:
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2012, 04:01 PM   #31
flipm3
E46 + E90 + F80
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
2002 BMW M3  [0.00]
Trendy Instagram while picking up some dinner....

AKG Motorsports RSM and Reinforcement Plate

KW V3 and AKG Motorsports RSM

BMW OE CSL CF Surf Board

Absolute perfect weave...

Too legit...

Wheel Bearings Replaced! WOOT! My front driver side wheel bearing was TRASHED!!!!

OEM Wheel Bearings installed by VS Motorsports

I am having way too much fun doing a front end overhaul. Next up on the list:
  • AKG Motorsport Clutch Pedal (Delrin)
  • AKG Motorsport FCAB (90A)
  • Turner Motorsport 75mm Studs and Lug Nuts
  • OEM Front Control Arm
  • OEM Ball Joint Nuts
  • OEM FCAB Bolts
  • OEM Tie Rods
  • OEM CPV
  • OEM Steering Coupler
  • Lightweight mod to wallet

Last edited by flipm3; 07-05-2012 at 08:49 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2012, 04:39 AM   #32
Soorena
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M3 6MT

Garage List
one of the best documented builds ever. Simply great my friend

The only thing that i would do differently is the rims. I'm not a fan of having Volks on BMW's though they are one of the lightest set of rims out there.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2012, 07:10 AM   #33
Nang Vann
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E46 M3, R35 GT-R

Still love the classic look of the E46 M3!
      06-04-2012, 06:18 PM   #34
flipm3
E46 + E90 + F80
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
2002 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soorena View Post
one of the best documented builds ever. Simply great my friend

The only thing that i would do differently is the rims. I'm not a fan of having Volks on BMW's though they are one of the lightest set of rims out there.
Thanks! Lucky you, I actually sold my White TE37s awhile ago to tone down the look of the car, haha. Oddly enough, I love the OE 18s. I will be running a square 18x9 OE rear this tire around. It looks stock, yet aggressive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nang Vann View Post
Still love the classic look of the E46 M3!
The E46 M3 is one of the best! Easily more favorable than the E36 in my opinion.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2012, 06:21 PM   #35
flipm3
E46 + E90 + F80
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
2002 BMW M3  [0.00]
I was fortunate and lucky enough to win AKG Motorsport Car of the Month for May 2012! I won a $50 Gift Card!

Thanks to AKG Motorsport and Bimmerpost sponsor/vendor, VS Motorsports!

Appreciate 0
      07-06-2012, 08:33 PM   #36
flipm3
E46 + E90 + F80
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
2002 BMW M3  [0.00]
Random Update
Randomly collecting parts here and there to throw on the car.

BMW Fuel System Cleaner Plus
I have been meaning to try this out for some time. Originally, I was going to go pick up the slightly cheaper Chevron Techron Fuel System cleaner, but since I was in the middle of ordering stuff from ECS Tuning, getting this was just much more convenient. I just poured the full bottom today and topped off the gas tank. I plan on finishing up this tank of gas, then one more proceeding one to completely flush out the system. By that time, I should be ready for an oil change as well!

BMW SAP Blocking Plate and Fuel Pump Relay
I plan on deleting my SAP in a few weeks and I saw that the E36 M3 blocking plate fits our car as well. So I figure, why not keep it OE. I have a spare Fuel Pump sitting in my basement just in case I ever need it, I decided to order a relay as well when I plan on doing the install.

Motorsport Hardware 75mm Stud Conversion
I almost ordered the Turner Motorsport studs for my 3rd time, but I decided to give Motorsport Hardware a shot. They have been getting rave reviews throughout many forums. Stay tuned for a quick reflection on what I think of the studs in comparison. They use a different grade metal, so I'm curious if I can tell any difference...

Further list of things to do:
  • CPV
  • Steering Coupler
  • AKG Motorsport Clutch Pedal (Delrin)
  • Oil Change
  • CSL Roof

Thanks to James at ECS Tuning for the help in figuring out which parts I was looking for.

Thanks to Ryan at Motorsport Hardware for hooking it up with some studs and lugnuts.

Thanks to the guys at VS Motorsports for all the help as always.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2012, 02:30 PM   #37
flipm3
E46 + E90 + F80
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
2002 BMW M3  [0.00]
E46 M3 Coding

I have been meaning to try out NCS Expert and do some coding on the E46 M3. It took me awhile to get my laptop setup properly with all my diagnostic software updated. This weekend, I finally had some down time to give it a shot. I was a bit hesitant since I hear so many stories of people locking up the car, but fortunately, things turned out well.

Here's a list of stuff I coded on or off.

ALSZ - Central Light Switch
  • BIXENON_EIN_BEI_LICHTHUPE : aktiv : Bixenon and Halogen turn on together when I flash my high beams
  • BLINKIMPULS_W ARNBLK : wert_04 : Hazard lights flash a faster impulse
  • FL_UND_NSW_NICHT_GLEICHZ : nicht_aktiv : Fog lights remain on when high beams are on
  • PWM_WERT2_FL_BIXENON : wert_01 : Bixenon and halogen lights are on together
  • SIDEMARKER_US : nicht_aktiv : Sidemarkers are now turned off

GM5 - General Module
  • ALARM_OPT_ABBLENDLICHT : aktiv : Alarm flashes low beam lights
  • ALARM_OPT_FERNLICHT : aktiv : Alarm flashes remote lights
  • ALARM_OPT_W ARNBLINKER : aktiv : Alarm flashes hazard lights
  • DWA : aktiv : Alarm system activated even if I don't have the alarm siren
  • VERRIEGELN_AUT_AB_X_KM/H : aktiv : Doors lock at a specific speed
  • VERRIEGELUNGSSCHWELLE : 16_km/h : Doors lock at 16 km/h

I plan on trying out a few more things next time around. If I can, I'll try to provide some videos or photos to show what some of this stuff actually does. Most of it is probably already floating around the internet and YouTube.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2012, 10:04 AM   #38
JC919
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: CSL

Any videos yet? I want to hear the airbox and exhaust combo.
2002 M5, SSII/Blk and bone stock. In storage back home in TX
2008 M3, AW/Blk 6MT, lots of track stuff SOLD
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2012, 04:50 PM   #39
flipm3
E46 + E90 + F80
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
2002 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC919 View Post
Any videos yet? I want to hear the airbox and exhaust combo.
I plan on making some real videos in the near future after getting her dialed out 100% on the dyno.

Here's a preview video of when I first got the Airbox. Please excuse the crappy audio/video quality that really does this Airbox zero justice.

Appreciate 0
      07-10-2012, 12:17 AM   #40
Tarmac_E46_M3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 SMG

Maybe this is a dumb question, but with the Evolve tune and having the set the o2 in a ready state. Do you still need to keep all that plugged in for anything? Or can you remove, since it's set in that ready state?

o_O

Entrepreneur (Click the about me ): AdamRod.MySiselPro.com
Fitness Challenge: AdamRod.MyLeanLine.com
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2012, 07:00 AM   #41
flipm3
E46 + E90 + F80
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
2002 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarmac_E46_M3 View Post
Maybe this is a dumb question, but with the Evolve tune and having the set the o2 in a ready state. Do you still need to keep all that plugged in for anything? Or can you remove, since it's set in that ready state?

o_O
Not a dumb question at all. You definitely need your all of your O2 sensors plugged in.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2012, 09:51 AM   #42
Tarmac_E46_M3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 SMG

Thank you! I'm just trying to figure everything out before I go in and install these headers,with my new tune from Evolve.

Entrepreneur (Click the about me ): AdamRod.MySiselPro.com
Fitness Challenge: AdamRod.MyLeanLine.com
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2012, 07:51 PM   #43
AKW777
Rep
Drives: 330i E46

im looking gearbox manual getrag and engine M3 E46..if anyone to sale..PM plz TQ
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2012, 08:34 AM   #44
flipm3
E46 + E90 + F80
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
2002 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quick Update:

I had some big projects that I wanted to finish up this year. Sadly, as always, there are some pricey maintenance things I have to attend to prior. So those fun mods will just have to wait for another year or so.

On a brighter note, my car is about to lose roughly 25-28 lbs
Appreciate 0